The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Hello Kitty
    Hello Kitty
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Other Science Fiction/Fantasy »  Bionic Woman
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Bionic Woman Views: 2699
     Thursday, June 28 2007 @ 09:36 AM EDT
    I didn't want to take away from the TVM movie thread, so I figured I'd make a Bionic Woman thread here in the other Sci-Fi area. I just watched the trailer posted in the other thread (I'll include it here, too) and it looks pretty cool. It looks a little like Alias mixed with La Femme Nikita and something else. And was that Starbuck appearing in it, too? When is this coming out?

Here is the link to the NBC preview page.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, June 28 2007 @ 10:00 AM EDT

Thanks for posting the YouTube promo clip!

Oh, it is a remake. Frown

So they are not bringing back The Bionic Woman, it is yet another remaking/"re-imagining" of a past creative work.

Where are the bionic sound effects?

I completely lost interest in it for (approx.) the last 2 minutes of this promo.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Thursday, June 28 2007 @ 10:12 AM EDT
    But not a bad american accent from Albert Square's finest, yes?

*********************************************************** "Rubber Soles - Swear by them!"

Thursday, June 28 2007 @ 11:02 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Linquel] I didn't want to take away from the TVM movie thread, so I figured I'd make a Bionic Woman thread here in the other Sci-Fi area. When is this coming out?

From the NBC site, the end of September is the premiere of this series. I think it said September 26th.

Ciotka Judi, The Polish Blonde

Thursday, June 28 2007 @ 01:12 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis] Oh, it is a remake. Frown

So they are not bringing back The Bionic Woman, it is yet another remaking/"re-imagining" of a past creative work.
    Well, Lindsay Wagner's just turned 58, so if you were hoping to see her trippin' the light bionic again, I think your chances were pretty slim. I'm kinda surprised, though, by your lack of enthusiasm. Haven't "re-imaginings" been good to you lately? Don't know if you caught that this thing's show-runner is David Eick, RDM's Battlestar partner . . .

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Thursday, June 28 2007 @ 03:20 PM EDT
    When I heard several months ago that Michelle Ryan was in it I completely lost interest. However, having seen her in Jekyll I'm a bit more impressed with her. I've just watched the YouTube clip and think the Bionic Woman will be at least worth a chance.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, June 28 2007 @ 03:28 PM EDT

Humm, intresting. Not buying into the fact that they create a superpowered human and have no means to control it (Explosives, maintance, etc..). But it might be worth a look.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Thursday, June 28 2007 @ 04:05 PM EDT
    The thing that's really exciting me about the project—aside from a childish love of the two previous bionic series—is the intent of Ryan and Eick, as expressed on Bionic Woman's preview page. Their video clips are the last two down, and are worth a look-see. The "naturalistic" approach is what's interesting me about the project, If you go back now and look at SMDM and TBW, the thing that's glaringly obvious is that there wasn't that much time on either series where the concept was treated as more than a conduit for mere escapism.

This new series seems closer to the mark set by the original Cyborg novel, which asked serious philosophical questions about the nature of what it meant to be a "normal" human.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Thursday, June 28 2007 @ 05:00 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]
    [Quote  by:  Louis] Oh, it is a remake. Frown

Well, Lindsay Wagner's just turned 58, so if you were hoping to see her trippin' the light bionic again, I think your chances were pretty slim. I'm kinda surprised, though, by your lack of enthusiasm. Haven't "re-imaginings" been good to you lately? Don't know if you caught that this thing's show-runner is David Eick, RDM's Battlestar partner . . .

Well, 58 is not that old...

As far as remakes or re-imaging goes, I would rather see something completely original or a continuation of something that was already established if need be than a remake. I felt the same way about the remake of The Planet of the Apes even though I enjoy Tim Burton's work... and I did enjoy seeing the interpretation of it, but in the end, I still feel the original stands quite well on it's own.

And as much as I love the Battlestar Galactica, the whole human/cylon storyline feels like it has been beaten into the ground. The original series, even with only season, started to move beyond the Cylons. The new re-imagined series is bit too light in the science-fiction aspect it feels at times.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Thursday, June 28 2007 @ 05:17 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  whodovoodoo] But not a bad american accent from Albert Square's finest, yes?

I saw DarthSkeptical's thread this morning and watched the clip - I knew I recognised the face, but I couldnt figure it out (I don't really do a lot of TV), now you've said that, it's just clicked.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, June 28 2007 @ 05:39 PM EDT
    Well, I certainly see the argument for originality. It would've nice for Firefly, among a few others, to have had the kind of success that Lost and Heroes enjoy. It would be fascinating to see what Eick (with or without RDM) could do without reference to a previous project.

Still, leaving the Apes to one side (which never should've been more than the original film, anyway), what I guess I see in BSG and BW and Smallville is that the parent concepts weren't really that well developed. Most everything of potential in these series was really in the opening titles and taglines; the substance of most of the episodes (or in the case of Smallville, the comic promise of "Superman when he was a boy") failed to capitalize on the basic premise. I see the new versions of both of these as getting it right (in the case of BSG and SV) and potentially getting it right (in what I've seen of BW). Both shows seem analogous to the resurgence of DW in this way. Though not a complete retooling, modern DW is distinct enough to be called a "respectful" re-imagining, at least. It's much closer to what I thought the series could have been back in the day.

And I don't think it's a waste of effort to remake something anew, as long as your narrative focus is clear, and your storytelling skills are adequate to the task. But then I'm a revisionist kinda guy. I think the only Star Trek that matters is Deep Space Nine, Batman is only just Begining, Spider-Man 2 was the best superhero movie ever made, it took 23 films to finally get James Bond right, Oceans 11 was better without the Rat Pack, and we've still not seen a definitive Wonder Woman after all these years.

Thursday, June 28 2007 @ 06:36 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] Spider-Man 2 was the best superhero movie ever made

I'm kinda surprised at that. Eek!

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, June 28 2007 @ 06:42 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Tardis-Knight]
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] Spider-Man 2 was the best superhero movie ever made

I believe that X2:X-men United is actually the best Super-hero film made. Interestingly, the 2nd super-heroo movies are generally best; Superman 2, X2, Spiderman 2, Batman Returns, Blade 2, even Rise of the Silver Surfer is much better than FF1. Hurry up and make a wonder Woman Movie so we can have Wonder Woman 2.

I notice that the Bionic Woman has Two Bionic Women and our heroine Jamie Sommers (no relation to Scott, I hope) is the second one, so we get the best one without having to go through the first.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, June 28 2007 @ 07:39 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] ...and we've still not seen a definitive Wonder Woman after all these years.

I was really disappointed when I heard Joss Whedon was not going to be doing a Wonder Woman movie after all. I think he would have done a really good job with it. And, just me personally, when Joss was attached I was really hoping that he would cast Gina Torres as Wonder Woman. I think she would be a kick-ass Wonder Woman for the 21st Century.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, June 28 2007 @ 07:46 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Tardis-Knight]
    I am too, cause I generally dislike Marvel Smile. But fair is fair: it's the only superhero film, and virtually the only genre film, to win an Oscar® for Best Adapted Screenplay. And it deserved to. You can't ask for better plot construction, or better emotion, from a super-hero film.

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored