The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Listen? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Listen' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 14th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 309 - 'Robot of Sherwood' Reviewed
  • Patrick Troughton as Robin Hood Seen in 'Robot of Sherwood'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Robot of Sherwood? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Robot of Sherwood' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 7th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 308 - 'Into The Dalek' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Into the Dalek? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Ice Warrior
    Ice Warrior
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Other Science Fiction/Fantasy »  Bionic Woman
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Bionic Woman Views: 2804
     Thursday, June 28 2007 @ 07:48 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Linquel]And, just me personally, when Joss was attached I was really hoping that he would cast Gina Torres as Wonder Woman. I think she would be a kick-ass Wonder Woman for the 21st Century.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Loved her in Angel!

Cheers, davedac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Thursday, June 28 2007 @ 08:34 PM EDT
    Wonder Woman is one of the few characters that has a fairly specific ethnicity attached. It's hard to see how you could get away from the basically Northern Med roots without fundamentally retelling the story. She's classically Greek, for all intents and purposes.

And I just don't see DC (or the Marston estate) allowing someone who looks dramatically different from their 70-year-old icon. You can't have a Japanese Superman. You can't have a Paris-based Bruce Wayne. I mean, you could, but it dramatically impacts the story to such a degree that you'll have to spend narrative time explaining it to a suspicious audience. The myths of these heroes is built in part on geography, race, and the economics of iconographic imagery. It's just a fact of copyright that Diana, Princess of Themyscira, has light-to-olive skin, black hair, and an improbable figure.

Gimme a solid story reason for a casting decision that changes her ethnicity, and I might enjoy it. But, given that her mythology is so entertwined with classical mythology, I'm not sure what story reasons could plausibly be offered which wouldn't fundamentally alter Diana's essential nature.

Having said that, the great difficulty in presenting Wonder Woman has always been the tenuous links to classical mythology. Maybe, with the right script, DC could see that it's time for a wholly new telling of the story. Perhaps a relocation to African mythology might be the breath of fresh air Wonder Woman needs. How she'd still be "Diana" in such a transfer is a bit of a mystery, though.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Thursday, June 28 2007 @ 11:51 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] Wonder Woman is one of the few characters that has a fairly specific ethnicity attached. It's hard to see how you could get away from the basically Northern Med roots without fundamentally retelling the story. She's classically Greek, for all intents and purposes...

I know what you're saying, but I can't think of anyone I feel would do the part justice in that way. Some people tossed around Charisma Carpenter, another Joss Whedon actress, but I don't even think she could play it. I loved whomever Alex Ross used as a model for Wonder Women in the Kingdom Come comics.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, June 29 2007 @ 07:06 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Linquel] Some people tossed around Charisma Carpenter, another Joss Whedon actress, but I don't even think she could play it.

I think Charisma could have done it but she was desperate to start a family so I think its a little late for her (and I'm not meaning her age here)

I'm a big fan of Charisma - loved her in Angel.
    EDIT - squashed to fit - save for full size 1024x768

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Friday, June 29 2007 @ 12:58 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] Wonder Woman is one of the few characters that has a fairly specific ethnicity attached. It's hard to see how you could get away from the basically Northern Med roots without fundamentally retelling the story. She's classically Greek, for all intents and purposes.

isn't Diana classically Greek in the sense of culture, but not necessarily ethnic background? I always thought of her home (Thalos? no, why can't I think of the name of the island!??!?!) as the home of the Amazons, and I've always associated that with more than just one ethnicity more of a conglomeration of like-minded women.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, June 29 2007 @ 01:07 PM EDT
    What about Paris Hilton? I don't think she gets nearly enough airtime these days.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, June 29 2007 @ 04:21 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid]
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] Wonder Woman is one of the few characters that has a fairly specific ethnicity attached. It's hard to see how you could get away from the basically Northern Med roots without fundamentally retelling the story. She's classically Greek, for all intents and purposes.
    isn't Diana classically Greek in the sense of culture, but not necessarily ethnic background? I always thought of her home (Thalos? no, why can't I think of the name of the island!??!?!) as the home of the Amazons, and I've always associated that with more than just one ethnicity more of a conglomeration of like-minded women.
    No, she's Greek, Greek. She's so Greek that in the modern retelling, when she comes to America, the only person who can at first understand her is a Professor Julia Kapatelis, a Greek-American scholar of Antiquities. Using her knowledge of classical Greek, the professor and her daughter Vanessa, gradually teach Diana English and help ease her into an American life.

While even the original 1941 myth had "Greek" written all over it, the current mythology, which dates to 1987, has cinched up that connection. For instance, it's quite clear now that Diana received her gifts explicitly from certain Greek gods. The Amazons themselves were brought back to life by Gaea, and are the reincarnations of women who had been killed by men. They were given a city, Themyscira, which was very definitely in Ancient Greece (though it may have been in an area not today recognized as Greece). When that city was destroyed, the dual queens of Themyscira set out initially to defend themselves against their attacker, Heracles. Once he was vanquished, the two queens had a difference of opinion about how to proceed. Hippolyta saw no purpose in exacting revenge, while Antiope wanted to continue to press the attack.

Hippolyta's band were told to walk to the Agean, whereupon Poseidon parted the waters, giving them access to their new home, Paradise Island. They promptly renamed the island Themyscira, after their original inland home. They were also given immortality, which, among other things, obviated the need for procreation. Thus, their genetic pool remained "locked".

Having renounced Olympus to continue on a path of war, Antiope's tribe did not receive the gift of immortality . They continued chasing after war, and their travels took them all over Europe and the Middle East before they eventually arrived at Egypt. Their lack of immortality meant they had to perpetuate their tribe sexually. Due to their wide travelling, the tribe became multi-ethnic within just a few generations. Eventually, they settled in Egypt, and took to worshipping a wide range of gods, but principally the Egyptian ones. There, behind a perfect sandstorm, the tribe built the city of Bana-Mighdall, which became the name that differentiated these Amazons from the Themysciran ones.

The two tribes were thus separated for a long time, and ideologically represented quite different things. Eventually, on the presumably Mediterranean island of Themyscira, Hippolyta's distant memory of her life before immortality resurfaced. She longed for a child, because she was the only one of the Amazons who had been pregnant on the day her mortal life ended at the hands of man. So the gods allowed Hippolyta to create a baby from the soil of Themyscira, into which they channeled the spirit of that original, unborn child. And when they breathed life on her, she became Diana.

Ironically, it would be Diana, the most Themysciran of all, who would unite two Amazon tribes, and thus end the mono-culture of her place of birth.

In the 20th century, as Wonder Woman, she sees through the sandstorm surrounding Bana-Mighdall, and works out who these sisters are. She is almost immediately attacked by Shim'Tar, the Bana-Mighdall equivalent of Wonder Woman (although, due to their interbreeding with Mortals, most Shim'Tars have been obviously weaker than most Wonder Women). Hermes, who's frequently portrayed as jealously in love with Diana, destroys the entire city of Bana-Mighdall. The BMs then decide to take their fight directly to Themyscira.

Because their fight fails, and they're left precariously perched on the literal edge of the island, what follows is a long and involved story of political, military and social intrigue, as the two tribes struggle to find a way to reunite. At one point, Hippolyta and Diana avert full-scale civil war only by renouncing their titles, thus effectively leaving Themyscira without a government. Indeed a large portion of the storyline involving the Amazons has been about the degree to which the BMs are an oppressed minority—and the degree to which they're just war-happy harpies. (Some BMs have been closely linked to Lex Luthor, for instance.)

Integration is only really accomplished after Themyscira itself is destroyed, and then relocated in the Bermuda Triangle. Only when the city had to be rebuilt were the two tribes placed on equal footing, and the Amazons truly integrated as a multicultural society.

Thus, if you've come to the Wonder Woman saga late, you may well have seen a multi-cultural Themyscira depicted. But that is not the world into which Diana was born. Casting someone who doesn't plausibly look Greek or Mediterranean would be a complete slap in the face to the
    Baccarinmythology surrounding Wonder Woman. Now maybe a better mythology could be written, but honestly, Diana of Themyscira could not be more Greek.

In fact, the far better Firefly casting choice (not that "Firefly casting choices" are particularly germaine anymore) is Morena Baccarin. Yeah, she might well need some fight training, but she already has the "Princess/Ambassador Diana" in the bag. Wonder Woman is a much more nuanced character than most super-heroes, and the fact that an actress can "kick ass" isn't what the part requires. It needs someone who can incidentally kick ass, if all else fails.

Of all the main super-heroes, Wonder Woman comes closest to the Doctor in terms of philosophy.
    SmuldersCharm, intelligence and guile are her greatest strenghts. That's what you need to cast for. Unless, of course, you've never read a Wonder Woman comic and have only the Superfriends or Justice League cartoons to guide you.

It's interesting to note, however, that after being released from the project, Whedon made a tongue-in-cheek suggestion in an online post at whedonesque.com that he had Cobie Smulders in mind for the job. Some movie sites are reporting that the remaining production team on the WW project are going to go ahead with Smulders. But the project is clearly languishing now, and its chances of getting made took a hit when Whedon left.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Friday, June 29 2007 @ 08:25 PM EDT
    Ok, to bring this thread back onto the Bionic Woman...I thought this was really funny. Some die-hard fan took the trailer for the new show and added back in the 70's nanananana bionic sound effects. I was a little disappointed he/she didn't also add the 70's dodododododo sound effect for the bionic eye, but it's still funny. Jump ahead to the final 2 minutes to skip over the early accident stuff.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 30 2007 @ 04:38 AM EDT
    Haha. Thats good - I'm not sure how you'd write that, and I don't know that nananananana is it - but good nonetheless. I can't recall the dodododododo for the bionic eyesight, but I'm sure I will if I see it again.

I'm surprised at the length of this "teaser" - it's almost like a mini episode in it's own right. As an obvious comparison, you get about 10 seconds of "next weeks" Doctor Who at the end of an episode (except for once when they really pushed the boat out and did a 45 second trailer for the remainder of the series; if memory serves that was the very first time we saw John Simm). This is for 5 minutes!

Sorry to go off your topic again Linquel (I like your new Avatar btw!) but I wanna quickly go back to this.....
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] I am too, cause I generally dislike Marvel Smile. But fair is fair: it's the only superhero film, and virtually the only genre film, to win an Oscar® for Best Adapted Screenplay. And it deserved to. You can't ask for better plot construction, or better emotion, from a super-hero film.

I certainly wouldnt say I dislike Marvel - although the smile you've put in there indicates a bit of mischievousness on your part - I just don't particularly like their films. The Spidey films are all ok - I don't dislike them, but they don't really get me. The glaring exception to me disliking Marvel films is the (imho) bloody fantastic X-Men trilogy (including even the slightly lesser X3). I wasn't really even a X-Men fan until the 1st film (which maybe helped) but I can truthfully say the films have given me a liking for the comic; where as most of the time a love of the comic makes me tolerate the film (Fantastic Four for example - what a load of crap that was! - I've not yet seen FF2). My biggest hope for all of the Spiderman movies was that it would generate a complete, 65 episode DVD boxset of the mid 90s animated version. At the moment we've still only got 5 individual discs with 3 or 4 episodes on each Evil In terms of Superhero movies I don't think anything comes anywhere near Batman Begins. I could easily go off on one and go & on about it. Lets just say I love it!

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 30 2007 @ 06:50 AM EDT
    Hmmm, you know, it appears I'm wrong. S2 didn't win an Oscar for writing and wasn't even nominated. I don't know where I got that from, but I have been carrying around a belief that I actually saw the writers give an acceptance speech for two years now. Weird.

At any rate, it's an amazing script.

And I guess I feel about the X-Men the same way you feel about Spidey. I'll toss in the DVD when I need to and have fun watchin' 'em, but they don't really grab me. This lack of enthusiasm, though, stems from my lack of understanding of the Marvel Universe. It's never made sense to me why the X-Men are "mutants" who should be locked up, but the Fantastic Four, who technically are first-generation mutants, are treated like rock stars by the press. X-Men always seemed to me to be destroying the fragile plausibility of Marvel's comic universe.

And don't get me started on Batman. I recognize Batman Begins as the best thing to happen to the character's profitability since Adam West, but Batman is a hard character for me to give a pass on the "plausability scale".

Saturday, June 30 2007 @ 10:30 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Tardis-Knight] Haha. Thats good - I'm not sure how you'd write that, and I don't know that nananananana is it - but good nonetheless. I can't recall the dodododododo for the bionic eyesight, but I'm sure I will if I see it again.

You can watch another YouTube clip here where you get both the nananana and the dodododo within the first minute or two. It's from the classic Big Foot story. Has Six Million Dollar Man been released on DVD yet? I forgot how much I loved the music on that show.

Mr. Green

(edited to correct Big Food mistake)

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 30 2007 @ 01:44 PM EDT
    [Quote  by=Linquel]Has Six Million Dollar Man been released on DVD yet?
    TBW and SMDM have thus far only received a partial R2 release. Both shows have had their first two seasons released. There has been no DVD release in the programs' region of origin.

Saturday, June 30 2007 @ 10:09 PM EDT
    Here is the Six Million Peso Man

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 30 2007 @ 11:51 PM EDT
    Here's a fan-made trailer for the best storyline in the history of the OSI:

Sunday, July 01 2007 @ 12:09 AM EDT
    From the trailers it looks like Miguel Ferrer (the guy who had Robocop built) is Oscar Goldman (or the Oscar-like character) in the new series. He looks a little less friendly than Richard Anderson's character and seems like he'll be more like the OCP executive he played in Robocop.

I wonder if the new series will bring back the old enemies and faithful canine side kicks, like Doctor Who did.

That would be Fembots, Russian Venusain Deathprobes, Barney Miller the Seven Million Dollar man, Bigfoot, Stephanie Powers and Maximillion the Bionic Dog.

I guess I had also heard there were plans for a movie version of The Six Billion Dollar Man.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed