The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Yet Another Promo for the 2014 Doctor Who Christmas Special - Last Christmas
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 319 - The 2014 Series of Doctor Who Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    R/C Assault Dalek Detail
    R/C Assault Dalek Detail
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Other Science Fiction/Fantasy »  Some Under-rated Sci-Fi Movies (and Why)
     Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Some Under-rated Sci-Fi Movies (and Why) Views: 6668
     Saturday, February 25 2006 @ 11:22 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    And let us not forget John Carpenter's Dark Star (1974). What happens when you've been on a twenty year mission and your smart bomb thinks it's smarter than you?

Taras

But thats just it, the smart bomb was smarter than they were. its just that it was more insane as well. Laughing Out Loud

Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, February 26 2006 @ 12:08 AM EST

The smarter you are, the less ability you have to cope with the petty little annoyances that most wouldn't even understand as being annoyances... Smile

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Friday, March 10 2006 @ 11:35 AM EST
    BUCKARRO BANZAI ACROSS THE EIGHT DIMENSION and MEGAFORCE are 2 movies that I feel are underrated classics. BB is a movie I have seen many times and thoroughly enjoyed (with my brain switched off). MEGAFORCE is a movie I only saw once at a dollar matinee as a kid, but my memories are of it being awesome. Other titles:

METALSTORM-THE DESTRUCTION OF JARED SINN
    SPACE HUNTER ACROSS THE FORBIDDEN ZONE
    HAWK THE SLAYER
    BEASTMASTER
    more to come.

kngfu

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, March 10 2006 @ 06:56 PM EST
    Yeah, Buckaroo Banzai is one of my favuorites.

Cheers,
    John Bigboote
    (err... I mean, Louis)

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Friday, March 10 2006 @ 08:49 PM EST
    I don't know if Buckaroo Bonzai fits the "under-rated" category.

It's the film that basically defined "cult classic".

That and "Repo Man" are the two best-known cult classics. It has a huge following.

I guess if you mean "under-rated" by critics, then you may have a point.

For me, "Hudson Hawk" is one of the most under-rated films. Critics panned it unanimously in the same year they praised "Naked Gun II", which was a tired rehash of "Naked Gun" which itself was a tired rehash of the best short-lived TV series ever made - "Police Squad".

Stupid critics. "Hudson Hawk" was absolutely brilliant!

Sean.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Friday, March 10 2006 @ 09:03 PM EST
    I, too, loved Hudson Hawk when I first saw it. I saw it opening day with a couple of friends in an otherwise empty theatre and we all thought it was hilarious. We would quote to each other such gems as "Airbags, can you f---ing believe it!" for years.

However, upon seeing it again on dvd a couple of years ago, it didn't seem quite as hilarious as I remembered it. It seemed more on the stupid side, in fact. So what changed -- me or the movie?

It reminded me of another experience I had with the Monkees. I watched the show religiously as a young kid in the early seventies and always remembered it as hilarious. I started watching an episode in the mid-eighties when MTV was running them, excited to relive the genius I remembered as a kid. I turned it off after a few minutes, deciding to let my precious childhood memories remain unshattered.

You can't go home again.

Or can you?

I've been rewatching Doctor Who now on dvd, seeing episodes for the first time since the early eighties and mostly even before that. And, by gum, I'm enjoying the hell out of them. Yes, they are what they are production wise, but we are so right to continue being enthralled and entertained by this series so many years later.

Too bad the same can't be said of Space 1999 year two.

But I digress...

http://thatneilguy.blogspot.com

Friday, March 10 2006 @ 09:37 PM EST
    Yeah, I think your experience with Hudson Hawk had to do with your group experience. You tried to relive it alone years later, and of course it failed to live up to the original good time you had watching it with friends.

Me, I liked it the first time I saw it, but really began to love it on repeated re-veiwings. You really can miss a lot of subtlety if you watch it only once. It's like a Monty Python movie or Airplane. There's just so much in it that you have to see it more than once to appreciate it all.

(And let's not forget that Shalka Doctor Richard E. Grant was the evil villain!)

As for Space 1999, I'm going through the first season now and it's just so dead-slow. The episodes drag out unlike my memory of them. Perhaps I was more patient as a 10-year old? I really doubt it.

I'm going to stick with it though. It's one SF show my wife and I have equally fond memories of.

Sean.

Tuesday, April 18 2006 @ 07:40 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Ken] Lets start with... Tron. Way ahead of its time. Well cast, religious undertones, predicted the internet, rated PG. Only 90 minutes!

Well here are a few -

12:01 - Helen Slater (Supergirl) was it it. It's a time-travel film in the repeating day theme like Groundhog day - but I think it pre-dates that movie.

Frequency - Dennis Quaid and Jim (spelling - played Jesus) Casavites? - where father and son talk via sun-spot activity - 30 years apart.

Starman - Jeff Bridges - where he (an alien lifeforce) takes the image of a widows husband and then follows their journey for him to return home.

The Final Countdown - already mentioned.

Them OR They (not sure) - where there are aliens walking around as humans that you can't spot until you wear special glasses.

This Island Earth - brilliant if spoiled by having 'a monster in it. THis is a story where the best minds on Earth are tested by aliens ( they have to build a Interositer ? from plans sent to them)who are losing a war and need scientists to win it.

Fantastic Voyage - don't know if it was underrated - but it was an amazing film for it's time.

I'm sure there are a lot more.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Tuesday, April 18 2006 @ 08:03 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    Well here are a few -

12:01 - Helen Slater (Supergirl) was it it. It's a time-travel film in the repeating day theme like Groundhog day - but I think it pre-dates that movie.

Wow. Never heard of that one. And va-va-voom! Helen Slater! And probably a young Helen Slater, judging by the fact she hasn't really done anything in years... the last I saw her was a guest appearance on a new TV detective show called Jane Doe with Back to the Future alum Lea Thompson. Checking IMDB, this was made in 1993. I should put it on my Netflix queue.

[Quote Frequency - Dennis Quaid and Jim (spelling - played Jesus) Casavites? - where father and son talk via sun-spot activity - 30 years apart.

Great film. Jim Caviezel. On NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me the panelists were talking about the lightning striking Caviezel and a crewmate on the film The Passion of the Christ, and Paula Poundstone's comment on the story was "Pop Goes Caviezel". Funny stuff. But a great movie.

[Quote Starman - Jeff Bridges - where he (an alien lifeforce) takes the image of a widows husband and then follows their journey for him to return home.

Ah, one of the absolute classics! Spawned a TV series too, that I used to never miss!

[Quote The Final Countdown - already mentioned.

Yup. Another great. Back when our town first got Cinemax, it came on several tiems a day, and everyone watched it over and over.

[Quote Them OR They (not sure) - where there are aliens walking around as humans that you can't spot until you wear special glasses.

You know, I saw the promos for this film when it first came out, but have never ever seen it... I should be ashamed of myself!

[Quote This Island Earth - brilliant if spoiled by having 'a monster in it. THis is a story where the best minds on Earth are tested by aliens ( they have to build a Interositer ? from plans sent to them)who are losing a war and need scientists to win it.

Yeah, a lost classic. It really should be a classic, but many science fiction critics have let it slide off the list, so to speak. However, I still give it its due. Here's my review of Sideshow Toy's Metaluna Mutant.

[Quote Fantastic Voyage - don't know if it was underrated - but it was an amazing film for it's time.

Well, this one is still considered a classic, so I doubt it's under-rated. This one can be found now on DVD as a two-set with Voyaget to the Bottom of the Sea the film, not the TV series (which is now also available on DVD)

[Quote I'm sure there are a lot more.

There sure are!

Sean.

Wednesday, April 19 2006 @ 11:28 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter]
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    Well here are a few -

Wow. Never heard of that one. And va-va-voom! Helen Slater! And probably a young Helen Slater, judging by the fact she hasn't really done anything in years...

Sean.

I think it might have been show here in the UK as a TV movie - not should if it was in theatres in the States.

A couple of other's I've remembered.

'Silent Running' Bruce Dern where he keeps a forest maintained on an orbiting space station helped by little drones.

The first half of 'Omega Man' Charlton Heston were he is the only normal man left on earth. The way this is dealt with is great - before it reduces to a horror film.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Wednesday, April 19 2006 @ 11:52 AM EDT
    A lesser-known Sci Fi film that's completely worth watching: "The Quiet Earth".

It's about a massive accident with a new energy device, and a man wakes up alone on the entire earth.

Soon he finds he may not be alone, and begins to search for other survivors.

He manages to find a couple of them... it's a fantastic film.

FInd it. Watch it!

Sean.

Wednesday, April 19 2006 @ 01:49 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] A lesser-known Sci Fi film that's completely worth watching: "The Quiet Earth".

It's about a massive accident with a new energy device, and a man wakes up alone on the entire earth.

Soon he finds he may not be alone, and begins to search for other survivors.

He manages to find a couple of them... it's a fantastic film.

FInd it. Watch it!

Sean.

I think I might have seen that - Is there a part were he fills a room with TVs playing so that he will hear human voices?

A bit like in Omega man where Charlton Heston's character goes to the cinema and watches 'Woodstock' to see all the people?

Cheers, daveac

Friday, April 21 2006 @ 12:05 AM EDT
    I watched ZARDOZ the other day and, although heavily dipped in the Seventies and very arty, I found it interesting, intriguing and kept me thinking.

The first PLANET OF THE APES movie still holds up well. The newer version improved on the makeup but the original had a first rate story. The kids get it on one level and the adults on a whole other level. And, of course, the twist ending written by Rod Serling himself.

And lastly, dark moody Italian Sci-Hi Horror with PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES. Creepy.

Friday, April 21 2006 @ 03:37 AM EDT
    Although not a movie I will advocate a Brit TV series that was shown at 11pm in the UK a few years aso.

This is 'Ultraviolet' which is a gritty vampire series with sci-fi aspects. I understand that a film is to be made with this name but I am sure it will not be the same.

The TV series is intelligent and leaves some plot aspects left to the watcher to sort out in their own heads rather than over explain.

http://www.world-productions.com/wp/content/shows/other/uv/uvhome.htm
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A590843

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, May 22 2006 @ 09:41 PM EDT
    Three sci-fi movies I really enjoy are:

Android: A movie starring Klaus Kinski as a scientist on a space station who has built Max 303 as android assistant. There life starts getting interesting when three fugitives come on board. Low budget, but well acted and enjoyable.

Hardware: Stylish sci-fi/horror movie with a killer robot (a la terminator) chasing beautiful woman in a post-apocalyptic world. Stars Dylan McDermott and Stacey Travis. Noatble for appearances by Iggy Pop and Lemmy from Motorhead. Director Richard Stanley previously made pop videos for the Field's of the Naphillim (whom also appear in this). Definitely lots of eye candy and fantastic soundtrack.

Saturn 3: Most well known of the 3. But still a good movie, Hector scared the life out of me when I was a kid, as did those three inch spikes that go in the back of their neck's (Matrix nicked this idea)

I too loved "silent running" and "dark star"

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages