The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Kill The Moon? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Kill The Moon' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 5th

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    But which one is the Auton
    But which one is the Auton
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Other Science Fiction/Fantasy »  Some Under-rated Sci-Fi Movies (and Why)
     Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Some Under-rated Sci-Fi Movies (and Why) Views: 6573
     Tuesday, May 23 2006 @ 09:09 AM EDT
    Yeah, "Saturn 3" is a great scare-fest. Great looking movie, and very very tense.

I also should mention (if I haven't already) "Runaway", with Tom Seleck and Gene Simmons. It's about assassin robots.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, May 23 2006 @ 01:44 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter]
    I also should mention (if I haven't already) "Runaway", with Tom Seleck and Gene Simmons. It's about assassin robots.

Yeah, I thought it was a good enjoyable sleeper movie at the time... I haven't seen it in some years now. I thought Gene Simmons did a surprisingly good job in it.

Today, robots are already doing police work in the way of finding possible bombs or grabbing a knapsack that someone left in the street for fear of a possible bomb in today's world post September 11th and the Olympic bombings. So whenever I do see these robots or remote control devices being used today, I always think of the Runaway movie.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Friday, May 26 2006 @ 12:01 AM EDT
    Does anyone remember an excellent movie called
    "Deathwatch", where Harvey Keitel has a TV camera
    implanted in his eye. He records the life of
    a terminally ill woman which is being shown
    live on air without her knowledge.

I remember this as being compelling watch, but have
    not been able to track down a copy to see if it still
    stacks up as a good movie by today's standards.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, June 01 2006 @ 11:30 PM EDT
    "12:01 - Helen Slater (Supergirl) was it it. It's a time-travel film in the repeating day theme like Groundhog day - but I think it pre-dates that movie."

Actually, 12:01 was first a short film back in 1990 called 12:01PM, starring Kurtwood Smith. He played the heavy in the first Robocop, but this time, his character in this one was more sympathetic. The story concerned him getting caught in the time loop like Groundhog Day, but it was more serious in tone. The film was nomiated for an Oscar for best short film. If you have the means to watch it, I'd advise you to do so. You won't be disappointed!

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, June 02 2006 @ 01:58 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Greyroamer] "12:01 - Helen Slater (Supergirl) was it it. It's a time-travel film in the repeating day theme like Groundhog day - but I think it pre-dates that movie."

Actually, 12:01 was first a short film back in 1990 called 12:01PM, starring Kurtwood Smith. He played the heavy in the first Robocop, but this time, his character in this one was more sympathetic. The story concerned him getting caught in the time loop like Groundhog Day, but it was more serious in tone. The film was nomiated for an Oscar for best short film. If you have the means to watch it, I'd advise you to do so. You won't be disappointed!

I know the short film... I have it on tape somewhere in fact. I don't think I ever saw the feature version... I wasn't even sure if they were really related outside of their name. Perhaps I did see it, and just don't recall it now... I don't know. But I definitely remember the original short film... and yes, it is a cool short.

Cheers,
    Louis

Saturday, June 03 2006 @ 03:49 PM EDT
    Escape Pod was a low budget movie that carried itself well with solid acting and a good who dunnit premise. A space liner is destroyed and a handful of survivors make it to a space pod but how can they survive and is one not what they seem.

Nothing advanced budget wise but sum tight acting makes this one worth a late night viewing.

Touching on the Black Hole I loved that as a child but never did understand the ending. The evil red robot, I forget his name, terrified me. and I was very upset when one of the good robots had to sacrific himself to take him out. Emotional stuff when you were 8!

Practice acts of random kindness.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 03 2006 @ 11:47 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Archie] ...

Touching on the Black Hole I loved that as a child but never did understand the ending. The evil red robot, I forget his name, terrified me. and I was very upset when one of the good robots had to sacrific himself to take him out. Emotional stuff when you were 8!

The red robot is Maximillian, the other two robots are Vincent (V.I.N.Cent) and Bob (B.O.B.). The ending had themes of heaven and hell...

It's coincidental that you mention The Black Hole again in this thread because I was just thinking of it while watching tonight's Doctor Who episode, The Impossible Planet. That and another film from around the same era, Outland.

Cheers,
    Louis

Sunday, June 04 2006 @ 03:02 PM EDT

The Black Hole will always be one of my favourites from childhood. I rememeber actually going to a movie theatre with a bud and hsi mom to see it. I had forgotten my glasses that day so I made themn sit right near the front so I could see it properly. I even used to have the Vincent, Bob and Maximillian action figures. To me next to the Black Cauldron and The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, the Black Hole has to be one of the spookiest movies Disney ever did. They would never do something like that now because it would be too risky. The only thing that came close was Nightmare before Xmas.

Cheers,
    Russel

I am the Master and you will obey me... Listen to Ramble with Russel at ramblingruss.libsyn.com

Monday, June 05 2006 @ 09:20 AM EDT
    I still love "The Black Hole". I saw it this past year when it came out on DVD.

I used to have Maximillian and Vincent figures, as well as a model kit of Max.

Not to mention some activity books from the time. I don't have anything from my childhood, but I did buy up some of those activity books at a yard sale, and I got the VINCENT figure at a shop about 7 years ago, in mint condition! He sits on my shelf at work, along with the thousand other toys.

Who doesn't remember VINCENT's shootout with STAR in the arcade?

Sean.

Thursday, June 15 2006 @ 11:49 PM EDT
    Ok, I know this isn't really Sci-Fi but I have to include "Big Trouble in Little China". Made for flat out corn-ball fun! And when you listen to the DVD commentary, you can hear the fun Kurt Russel and John Carpenter had while making this film and the fun they had watching it during the commentary.
    There is however one series of films that I feel is under rated, and that was the Gamera films made during the 1990's. Yes, it was still a man in a suit, but they had refined the film to such a degree that it wasn't a kiddie film like it once was. The effects are far better, especialy when in one film, a group of fighter jets are chasing Gamera down. The interesting this was that one of the cast members is Steven Segal's daughter. The funny thing is even those who don't understand the Japanese language can tell her acting is better than her father's! Big Grin

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, June 16 2006 @ 08:20 AM EDT
    Oh, Big Trouble in Little China is a classic gem!

I think it belongs up there with the other Sci Fi films. Sure, it's more fantasy, but that line is very blurry indeed, and this film has such a huge popularity among geeks that it certainly applies.

Sean.

Saturday, June 17 2006 @ 10:01 AM EDT
    Something a little more recent than the classics mentioned so far, but a film that should definitely have received more attention than it did, is Dark City. It had the whole "what you think is real, isn't" thing down years before The Matrix tried its hand at it.

Facebook me! http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=583224917

Saturday, June 17 2006 @ 08:24 PM EDT
    Loved the world, the characters, the look, the feel of "Dark City" but I absolutely hated the ending.

Mostly because throughout the entire film, the ending is foreshadowed as a particular thing. Everything points to it. Then it turns out to be something completely different.

SOOOOO close to an excellent movie, then they completely ignore the obvious and proper ending and blow it on some nonsense.

But va va voom! Jennifer Connolly, singing yet!

Sean.

Monday, July 03 2006 @ 01:16 PM EDT
    That 1970's Disney live-action "scary" movie Watcher in the Woods has a really odd set of alternative endings that involve a giant flying alien puppet thing and a weird purple pyramid world on the new DVD.

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Wednesday, July 05 2006 @ 09:07 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Ken] This week it's: The Final Countdown (the movie, not the song) Co-written by Dr. Who alum Gerry Davis. Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen time travel in an aircraft carrier to Pearl Harbor on December 6 1941. John Scott's score is rousing. The dialog is well written and the supporting cast help keep the film believable. The modern fighter planes verse the Japanese Zeros is the payoff. The movie gets treated with respect on its new 2-DVD set.

You know, I strangely have never considered this a sci-fi movie. I know it is, but to me it was always a war movie. I really enjoy watching it (its been on cable again recently)

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed