The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Dark Water? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Transparent Slip Cover Slides Out (R1 DVD Set)
    Transparent Slip Cover Slides Out (R1 DVD Set)
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Other Science Fiction/Fantasy »  Primeval Series 2 (may be some spoilers!)
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Primeval Series 2 (may be some spoilers!) Views: 2248
     Monday, January 14 2008 @ 09:25 AM EST
    Initial Impressions (which means spoilers)

seanhuxter, perhaps Ray Bradbury doesn't exist in this alternate history? Big Grin

I overall enjoyed the episode -- good escapism. I'm not sure that I think the CGI is better this year or if its just better b/c the characters are interacting with the CGI (Cutter kicking/punching the raptor). At the start, when the last security guard gets eaten, I loved that they didn't try and show it, but kept the action off-screen - we just see his bloody hands. I always find the off camera action much scarier!

The things that bothered me are always easier to list, so here they are:
    - I hated Jenny Lewis' hair. She looks hard/harsh in comparison to Claudia Brown's soft auburn locks and natural good looks. Those red heels clicking into the ARC reminded me more of a dominatrix -- not that I'm calling that a bad thing, guys, just very different
    - I hope they don't drop this alt. history story line now that the first episode is over. Yes, they've introduced Jenny, so they should work through that. It's just that many TV series throw you this twist and then pretend that nothing has happened. I want to see this worked through! Yeah, they talk about it in the show's intro, but when has that ever stopped anyone?
    - Did they add the character of Leak so they could have someone besides Connor to provide comic relief? He seems to be a useless dude.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, January 14 2008 @ 07:02 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] *Spoilers of course* (Why read this thread unless you already know that?)
    They have an organization of time travellers, presumably they've all read "A Sound of Thunder" by Ray Bradbury or are at least familiar with its concepts - yet when Cutter came back complaining one of their long-time companions was just missing, they passed him off as a psycho, or having a breakdown.

Or, surely they've at least seen the Simpsons Halloween story Time and Punishment

[Quote  by:  mad4plaid] I hope they don't drop this alt. history story line now that the first episode is over. Yes, they've introduced Jenny, so they should work through that. It's just that many TV series throw you this twist and then pretend that nothing has happened. I want to see this worked through!

I wouldn't mind if they had the time to let it grow, like the appearance of Dawn in Buffy's fifth season. You didn't find out what was up for three stories I think. But there are only seven episodes in the whole series. They can't wait too long to explain this.

-L

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 15 2008 @ 09:24 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Linquel] But there are only seven episodes in the whole series. They can't wait too long to explain this.

-L

And yet we've all seen tv shows where they have this season long mystery that they spend ten minutes on during the the season finale to tie it up. That always frustrates me!

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 15 2008 @ 11:28 AM EST
    I'm afraid I thought this first episode dragged a bit - and the acting, especially between the two men was very wooden.

Some of the CGI didn't look very convincing - especially with Cutter onscreen.

But - I hope for better next week.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, January 19 2008 @ 05:27 PM EST
    Episode 2 tonight was better - less wooden - but there were a couple of iffy moments near the end.

I think Torchwood is ahead on points at the moment.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Wednesday, January 23 2008 @ 09:02 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  daveac] Some of the CGI didn't look very convincing - especially with Cutter onscreen.

thought the CGI looked even worse with Abby - and Stephen kept looking at the wrong space for the worm in one scene.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, January 23 2008 @ 09:50 PM EST
    Wow. I must be so caught up in the action that I'm not even seeing what you guys are seeing. I didn't have any problem with the CGI at all (side note: afterwards we watched the 2005 movie A Sound of Thunder based on the Bradbury story and it was laughable. The CGI looked like bad TV CGI from ten years ago. It did have the guy who played Van Statten in it, though Smile )

That's not to say I didn't have a couple problems with it, like Abbie going all Kung Fu on one of the worms. I guess in this alternate universe they've all had extensive hand-to-hand combat training. But when Connor had his head swallowed, I thought they were offing his character and couldn't believe it. Primeval still has Torchwood beat hands down in my book.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, January 24 2008 @ 09:00 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Linquel]

like Abbie going all Kung Fu on one of the worms.

But when Connor had his head swallowed, I thought they were offing his character and couldn't believe it.

Yes those were the bits I meant with this:-

'but there were a couple of iffy moments near the end.'

Cheers, daveac

Thursday, January 24 2008 @ 09:13 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid]
    [Quote  by:  daveac] Some of the CGI didn't look very convincing - especially with Cutter onscreen.

thought the CGI looked even worse with Abby - and Stephen kept looking at the wrong space for the worm in one scene.

Well no one's perfect, but this series' CGI is far and away the best creature CGI on television. You have to look to big budget film to see better. Doctor Who is also quite good on its TV creature FX, but even some of those were not great.

FX can be hit or miss. In "Smith and Jones" (which I recently rewatched) I noticed that when Martha's looking out over the moonscape to Earth, there is a reflection of her in the window. She's moving and talking. The reflection is a still photo. No movement, no talking.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Monday, July 21 2008 @ 04:43 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid] I'm not looking forward to the series for the same reason as daveac.... well, in the same vein, but a different character - with a different gender!

Well Tell us who And we'll find a picture.

Is it one of these two?

Bye the way I checked my TV guide (comes with my Sunday Times) and they give away a bit too much about the series - so as ever - be careful what you read!!

Take my advice and just enjoy the pictures Wink

Cheers, daveac

I may need to check out an episode or two of this show sometime.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Monday, July 21 2008 @ 07:37 PM EDT
    I personally thought series 1 was better than 2....

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 21 2008 @ 08:42 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Tardis-Knight] I personally thought series 1 was better than 2....

I'll second that.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, July 22 2008 @ 12:18 AM EDT

I haven't seen any episodes from either series 1 or 2 yet. I would probably start at the beginning anyway knowing me.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Tuesday, July 22 2008 @ 06:29 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Linquel]

I'll second that.

Yes, I enjoyed Series 1 better than 2

Cheers, daveac

Tuesday, July 22 2008 @ 08:48 AM EDT
    I only saw series two and quite enjoyed it (although I didn't much like the CGI for the Sabre tooth). However, coming new to the series, I did finf the first few episodes very confusing and it took me a while to begin to understand what had happened in the first series.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored