The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    TARDIS in the Cardiff Exhibition
    TARDIS in the Cardiff Exhibition
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Other Science Fiction/Fantasy »  Life on Mars - USA (2008)
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Life on Mars - USA (2008) Views: 2898
     Saturday, June 21 2008 @ 02:51 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    It looks like Life on Mars is moving to NYC from LA. THis seems to make more sense to me. I think the NYC of the 70s better fits the program. Also, it looks like there may be other changes.

US 'Life On Mars' moved to New York

Didn't they already do a version of Life on Mars set in New York in the 1970s? Wasn't it called Starsky and Hutch?

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 21 2008 @ 02:54 PM EDT
    "Starsky & Hutch" was actually set in California.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 21 2008 @ 03:15 PM EDT
    i was wondering why is it called Life On Mars?

i read what its about on wikipida and sounds like it has nothing to do with aliens.

"Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 21 2008 @ 04:02 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Justice] i was wondering why is it called Life On Mars?

i read what its about on wikipida and sounds like it has nothing to do with aliens.

Life on Mars is a David Bowie song from the seventies... the lyrics contain imagery suggesting the futility of man's existence

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, June 21 2008 @ 04:07 PM EDT

Life on Mars is a David Bowie song from the seventies... the lyrics contain imagery suggesting the futility of man's existence

Such as the line "Take a look at the lawman beating up the wrong guy; oh man, wonder if he'll ever know". It's what Sam Tyler was listening to in his car just before he was run over.

Excallibur? Blizard? ...Bikini Cops?
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, June 21 2008 @ 06:13 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  taff1a]

Such as the line "Take a look at the lawman beating up the wrong guy; oh man, wonder if he'll ever know". It's what Sam Tyler was listening to in his car just before he was run over.

oooooooooooohhhhhhhhh! now i get!

"Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, June 23 2008 @ 09:39 AM EDT
    I just saw the unofficial pilot. I tried to be very open minded. However, seeing the BBC version first it was kinda hard. This was one of my favorite shows so I may be a little more critical. I'm also enjoying Ashes to Ashes and feel that the odd circumstance aside, that it really stands well on its own.

First off, I think that for someone who has not seen the original, they may be able to enjoy and follow it. I also see people trying to compare it to Journeyman.

I think that Colm Meany did a great job in the Gene Hunt role, but as dmwalling said, he is a little soft in the role. I have no idea who the guy playing the lead is, but he didn't really impress me. One of the things that John Simm did so wonderful was showing how he is trying to comprehend what is going on. I just never got that with this guy. He seemed to just take it all in stride with the occasional reference to his situation.

Also, where were the characters for Ray and Chris? I guess they were a couple of the guys sitting in Gene's office. However, in the original there was dialog and scenes with Sam getting to know them, which helps setup the reason for the end of the series.

I did notice that when they had the car bump him, it wasn't just a casual bump, but they had to extend that scene to make it more action-packed. Geez... Also, they left out the interaction with the barkeep, which I always liked in the original - reminded me of the last episode of Quantum Leap.

Kudos to them for using two Black Sabbath songs though!!!!

I'm willing to give it a go. I think moving it to NYC would really help matters. Also, they need to give Sam a little more mania. I'm hoping they get to Episode 5 of season 2. I want to see what they substitute for Camberwick Green.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, June 24 2008 @ 07:55 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Sabalon]I'm hoping they get to Episode 5 of season 2. I want to see what they substitute for Camberwick Green.

How about puppet Sam Tyler and Gene Hunt in Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood? Puppet Gene could beat up Lady Elaine Fairchilde. "Stay out of the Kingdom of Make Believe!"

Mr. Green

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, July 25 2008 @ 11:41 AM EDT
    http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2008/07/harvey-keitel-j.html

Recasting of everyone but star Jason O'Mara.

Harvey Keitel yes Harvey Keitel as Gene Hunt.

-cs™

http://twitter.com/Smittmaestro
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, July 26 2008 @ 02:33 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Smitty] http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2008/07/harvey-keitel-j.html

Recasting of everyone but star Jason O'Mara.

Harvey Keitel yes Harvey Keitel as Gene Hunt.

-cs™

I just heard that from a coworker a day or two ago. I love Harvey Keitel. This could make it interesting. We'll have to wait and see.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, October 16 2008 @ 10:41 AM EDT
    Anybody catch the premiere last week? I watched it and thought it was decent. It does a good job of capturing the look and feel of the early 70s (very much like Mad Men does of the early 60s). I haven't seen the British version, so I can't compare, but it was good enough to make me want to watch another week.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, October 16 2008 @ 05:14 PM EDT
    I actually saw this yesterday "by other means" and, despite being a huge fan of the original, thought it was pretty good. Certainly made me want to see more of the American take on the show. One think I thought worked brilliantly was the use of US-centric music. Being a Brit the songs in the original were things I'd been hearing since I was a kid, I was born in the early 70's, so they kind of melded into the background a little. But the track playing as they chase Willy out of the building was great.
    Anyone care to tell me the name?
    My only other comment is - Harvey Keitel. Doesn't he look old? He looks like a grandad in his old shirt that's now far too big for him.

Bollocks...sir.

Thursday, October 16 2008 @ 10:29 PM EDT
    As broadcast, the pilot was actually really good, although it was hard for me to be as "spellbound" by it over the BBC original, since I knew what was going to happen. In fact, I was surprised just how faithful it was to the original. A good amount of the dialogue, and even some of the directorial choices, were similar enough to call the thing, at least over significant portions of the evening, a "shot-for-shot remake". I rather suspect that 99% of the American audience will find it "startling" and "original". It's got a decent shot at surviving, since the 10pm Thursday slot is a good deal more up for grabs than it has been in quite some years.

Also, the country's current economic woes may make them more receptive to a 1970s television show, since that's the toughest times most people still living can actually remember.

This thing might actually work.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Friday, November 28 2008 @ 01:40 AM EST
    I've been off and on watching the US show, and while I suppose I'm enjoying it, it just isn't grabbing me like the original. I don't know if that's because it was a little more ambiguous what was happening to Sam in the UK version, or because the test card girl made it more creepy or what. Maybe it's just because it was new, and had I seen the US version first I might have liked it better.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, March 03 2009 @ 01:52 PM EST

Who among us didn't see this comming?

ABC cancels Life on Mars

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored