The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Rob Shearman
    Rob Shearman
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Other Science Fiction/Fantasy »  The Dark Knight
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    The Dark Knight Views: 1899
     Sunday, July 20 2008 @ 04:37 PM EDT
    What the hell is there to say about this superlative film that someone, somewhere hasn't already said?

Well, as this is a Doctor Who forum, I suppose I'll throw this out there. Eric Roberts rocked Ś just as he has done recently in Heroes. Further proof, if you needed it, that he really wasn't a bad choice for the Master. It's not his fault he was lumbered with a badly-written part. Had the role been pitched a little differently in the script, we'd probably hail Roberts as a serious rival to Delgado.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." Ś JNT, 1986
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, July 20 2008 @ 05:22 PM EDT
    Well, I can't go that far, as I've never really liked Roberts either way, but he did play the role well in this film.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 20 2008 @ 06:29 PM EDT
    Not seen it yet but i'm getting tired of the constant use of Heath Ledger to promote the film. If you didn't know who the Dark Knight was, you think the film is about 'that bloke with the white face and the lipstick, who died of an overdose'.

I've not seen a Batman film since Michael Keaton played him.

I'll watch it this week Laughing Out Loud

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/

Sunday, July 20 2008 @ 06:35 PM EDT
    it was great. especially the joker.

we'll miss you heath.

Photobucket

"Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 20 2008 @ 08:08 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  cybercolin]
    I've not seen a Batman film since Michael Keaton played him.

I'll watch it this week Laughing Out Loud

You're missing out on the new ones then. The Joel Schumaker (sp?) ones were crap, but the new Christopher Nolan ones are fantastic.

Speaking of Doctor Who people in movies, I saw Eric Roberts in Dark Knight Saturday, but I also saw the guy who played Elton in Love & Monsters in the Angelina Jolie movie, Wanted. I really liked that movie, too.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 20 2008 @ 08:34 PM EDT

Ken and I saw it on Friday morning (well, just after noon) since we were not in Boston as we thought we were going to be Frown

I went in with a pretty clean slate, not knowing what to expect in this film other than knowing about Heath Ledger and the role he played in this film. Seeing Eric Roberts was a nice surprise since the film didn't have any opening credits, I had no idea he was going to be in it).

Great job by Roberts. Definitely worthy of the Master. And of course a great film too.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Monday, July 21 2008 @ 08:38 AM EDT
    I really dont like the new Joker Makeup.

sorry... i know its some attempt to have a whole "chaos in his mind on the outside" but I really think its a lot like a bad day for Robert Smith... and i really like Robbert Smith.

Guest Host on the WHOCAST

Tuesday, July 22 2008 @ 02:00 PM EDT
    I heard this on the radio this morning and thought I'd actually heard it incorrectly - sadly not. Oh dear.

I'm at the midnight showing of this at The Imax on day of release (UK day of release at any rate).

PS Tin-Dog, re Killing Joke - I personally think that's one of the classic covers.

& Re Robert Smith, when he was younger and slimmer, you could get away with having a wild goth moptop. As you get older and fatter (and I'm certainly not the packing twenty something I once was!) you have to learn to adapt. These days he looks like an absolute berk (and I'm a fan too - Disintegration would unquestionably make my top 5 LPs ever!). All that said I can see what you mean!

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, July 22 2008 @ 06:57 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Tin-Dog-Podcast]

I really dont like the new Joker Makeup.

sorry... i know its some attempt to have a whole "chaos in his mind on the outside" but I really think its a lot like a bad day for Robert Smith... and i really like Robbert Smith.

Is that an image from The Killing Joke? Another great Batman story. That was Alan Moore, wasn't it?

I kind of like the new makeup. I personally think it's part of the overall style of making the movie more "real world". Yeah, the acid bath making him look like a clown is cool, but it's definitely more "comic book world" than "real world".

/-edit-/

[Quote  by:  Tardis-Knight]
    PS Tin-Dog, re Killing Joke - I personally think that's one of the classic covers.

I guess it is Killing Joke. Big Grin

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, July 22 2008 @ 09:42 PM EDT
    Having avoided all media re: the movie prior to it coming out, I was able to enjoy the movie without the hype. And I have to recommend the 9:30am showtime on Sunday for anyone wanting to know when to go to the theater without ill-mannered kids and adults (and how can you complain with popcorn for breakfast?).

My boyfriend and I ended up seeing it twice on Sunday: first at the traditional theater and then we drove out to see it at the Imax.

Fan-Tabulous!

Oh, and I really liked Maggig G in place of Katie H for Rachel. Much more believeable.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, July 22 2008 @ 09:52 PM EDT
    I went into seeing The Dark Knight with low expectations. I honestly didn't believe all the media hype, thinking that it was simply hyperbole and a slow news week. However, after seeing the movie, I can happily say that this is one of the best super hero films I've seen in a long, long time.

What I liked about the film is that stuff happens (don't want to spoil anything). There's no "Oh, let's revert time back and make everything okay" as we often see in Doctor Who. The film is dark, chock full of good characterization and actors who breath life into their roles.

All in all, it's a solid film. I would have liked to have seen it in IMAX but it was sold out for over a day in my area. Still, seeing it on a normal screen was enough.

If you're on the fence about seeing it, I would recommend going to the theater as it is a film that plays out well with the surround sound and on a big screen. Definitely worth the price of admission. But be warned: It's a dark, dark film.

Wednesday, July 23 2008 @ 12:24 AM EDT

When I first saw the makeup of the Joker back in January when clips were shown of the film at the time of Heath Ledger's untimely death. I was a little surprised, but I also wasn't sure if perhaps it was just how he was appearing after a long day with it on... But seeing his character in this version of the Batman tale, I think it works very well. It really fits his character and how Ledger portrayed him in this film. It felt real. And you know what, I felt it was even scarier.

I also liked other touches Ledger used with the character, such as how he speak and use his mouth/tongue 'slapping' internally. His walk as well.

It's only July, but I can pretty much bet what will be the most popular Halloween get up this October.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Wednesday, July 23 2008 @ 12:33 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    When I first saw the makeup of the Joker back in January when clips were shown of the film at the time of Heath Ledger's untimely death. I was a little surprised, but I also wasn't sure if perhaps it was just how he was appearing after a long day with it on... But seeing his character in this version of the Batman tale, I think it works very well. It really fits his character and how Ledger portrayed him in this film. It felt real. And you know what, I felt it was even scarier.

I also liked other touches Ledger used with the character, such as how he speak and use his mouth/tongue 'slapping' internally. His walk as well.

It's only July, but I can pretty much bet what will be the most popular Halloween get up this October.

Cheers,
    Louis

also i liked how he acted like he just didn't care about how much havoc he was spreading. like it was just no big deal that he blew up a hospital.
    i first didn't like his new look but after a while i liked it. his look has a sense of chaos.

and i think this joker will be seen a lot at the comic conventions in the coming months.

"Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, July 29 2008 @ 09:45 AM EDT
    I'm finally going to see the Dark Heath Ledger Knight this week, my first exposure to Batman since 1992 and countless repeats of the 60's series on BBC4.

In the meantime, I'll be intrested to know who your fave Batman is. I've set up a voting thing (with videos!) here. Personally, nobody comes anywhere near to David Jason in Only Fools and Horses Wink

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, July 29 2008 @ 06:51 PM EDT
    I must say that although I can appreciate this movie, I did not really enjoy it, it was too bleak and long. Maybe I'm just getting too old and middle aged, I prefer something with a bit of fun in it for my Superhero movies.

Of the summer's comic book release I would rank them:

1) The Incredible Hulk (which I really didn't want to see, but my son made me go)
    2) Iron Man
    3) The Dark Knight
    4) Hellboy II

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post