The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 312 - 'The Caretaker' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Caretaker? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'The Caretaker' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 28th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 311 - 'Time Heist' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Time Heist' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 21st
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Time Heist? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 310 - 'Listen' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Listen? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Listen' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 14th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 309 - 'Robot of Sherwood' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    DALEK!!
    DALEK!!
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Other Science Fiction/Fantasy »  New Star Trek Trailer?
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    New Star Trek Trailer? Views: 2976
     Tuesday, November 18 2008 @ 02:53 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Tin-Dog-Podcast] Its good to see that they finally made Galaxy Quest 2....

What do you mean that's supposed to be real Star Trek?

yeah right.

Ha, i agree with you, but also with Darth S too, i REALLY hope this leads to a new series, the cast is young enough, and wasnt there already a plan in the working for a Star Trek: Academy series?

Drink
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, November 18 2008 @ 04:17 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] I'm so glad Abrams is trashing the 1960s-era design of the original Enterprise. Someone had to, in order to keep the franchise viable. And what he's given us is the best looking Star Trek bridge ever. Anyone who thinks the 60s-era interiors could seriously have been preserved is, I think, drinking the Roddenberry Kool-Aid.

I guess you didn't see In A Mirror, Darkly episodes of Enterprise where they faithfully recreated the bridge and corridor sets to match those from Star Trek (original series). This was in 2004/5.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, November 18 2008 @ 05:12 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] I'm so glad Abrams is trashing the 1960s-era design of the original Enterprise. Someone had to, in order to keep the franchise viable. And what he's given us is the best looking Star Trek bridge ever. Anyone who thinks the 60s-era interiors could seriously have been preserved is, I think, drinking the Roddenberry Kool-Aid.

I guess you didn't see In A Mirror, Darkly episodes of Enterprise where they faithfully recreated the bridge and corridor sets to match those from Star Trek (original series). This was in 2004/5.

This montage shows some of it here:

Was this Enterprise story in their last season?

Before then Deep Space Nine also had a go:

And of course, before that Scotty revisited the original bridge on Star Trek: The Next Generation via holodeck

Ahh... I couldn't find the actual clip of him on the bridge/holodeck itself.

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Tuesday, November 18 2008 @ 05:48 PM EST

Ex Astris Scientia > Starfleet Bridge Illustrations

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Tuesday, November 18 2008 @ 06:40 PM EST
    Ex Astris Scientia > Starfleet Bridge Illustrations

Wow. Nice find. The cut-aways reminded me of the classic Enterprise bridge ATM model I built when I was a youngling.

I didn't realize there have been that representations of the bridges over the years in the various incarnations of Star Trek.

Cheers,
    Louis

Wednesday, November 19 2008 @ 10:34 AM EST
    Of course it can technically be achieved. RTD could have chosen to give the 9th Doctor the 3d Doctor's TARDIS console room. And RDM could have given Edward James Olmos the bridge that Lorne Greene commanded. But they'd have been silly to do so.

Star Trek is a brand in deep trouble. It has few fans in the current generation of 15-25s. They will not be won over by trying to reproduce a bridge that's so antiquated. When I watch an episode of TOS today—and do so objectively—I think, "is this bridge powered by magic?" Cause none of it is really functional. It's all a bunch of multicolored switches, mood lighting and the occasional floppy disk. It simply doesn't look like our future, much less a part of the narrative of the Star Trek universe. In a very real sense, that old, original bridge is a victim of its own success. Kids who watched it back in the day have become the engineers of today. And so a lot of the features of that bridge already exist or have been surpassed by modern, real-life tech. It would be insulting to try to make a 21st century audience try to believe in a mid-20th century view of the design of the future.

In a Mirror, Darkly is a perfect example of the problem. When the staff of the NX-01 take over the Constitution-class vessel, they are able to figure out the controls extremely rapidly. But it makes no sense that they should be able to do so. I'd believe that the NX-01 people would have more luck with a NextGen-era vehicle than the Constitution-class in Mirror.

Why? Cause quite simply the Constitution-class vessels are essentially analogue, whereas every craft seen in the STU since the beginning of the film franchise (but most obviously The Wrath of Kahn) have been digital. You can't sell the old Constitution-class to a youth market that just used their Obama-Biden iPhone app to effect a peaceful revolution.

This film needs to be a starting point for people who have never seen Star Trek in their lives. Like "Rose" it should court old fans with only a familiar ship exterior and a general attitudinal sameness on the part of the main characters. If it's not otherwise a "strange, new world" it won't "boldly go" anywhere at the box office.

Long-time fans should console themselves with the fact that Leonard Nimoy is present, but realize that this movie is not, primarily, for anyone over the age of 30. They should also be proud that the essential core of Star Trek (plausible prognostication about the future, a.k.a. science fiction) has fueled design decisions on this film. Put another way, I want an Enterprise bridge that can inspire the next generation of real-life engineers, not please the last two generations of Star Trek fans.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Thursday, November 20 2008 @ 09:10 PM EST
    Yes, I like how Darth thinks.

I too have been a Trek.. er, ie, whatever, for most of my life and after seeing the new trailer I am actually happy that things seem to have changed the way they have. I'm all for Trek drawing in a new fan base and I think this is the way to do it. On other message boards out there I have heard many more hardcore simply screaming bloody murder over J.J. Abrams decisions and lack of "cannoness".

I think there is a strong chance this could be the highest grossing Trek film of all time. They would have to fail epically to not acheive this end.

Esco, "The Bachelor" has regenerated into Bullitt33!!!!

Thursday, November 20 2008 @ 10:49 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  The Bachelor] ...
    I think there is a strong chance this could be the highest grossing Trek film of all time. They would have to fail epically to not acheive this end.

I've said from the beginning regardless what you might think of the film, or whether or not we really needed the film, it will do well. It has its automatic built in audience that will see it, plus others from outside that scope that will come out to see it.

Just as Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home pulled in people from beyond it's own built in audience, this will as well.

The real test may not be this film of the revisioned Trek, but if Abrams does another if those that were curious about this one would return for more or not.

Cheers,
    Louis

Friday, November 21 2008 @ 03:49 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] Like "Rose" it should court old fans with only a familiar ship exterior and a general attitudinal sameness on the part of the main characters.

Although a bicycle pump on Mr. Sulu's console, and Chekov wielding a mallet for every malfunction may look a bit out of place Wink

Drink
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, November 21 2008 @ 08:20 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  stjohnny]

Although a bicycle pump on Mr. Sulu's console, and Chekov wielding a mallet for every malfunction may look a bit out of place Wink

They are there, they are just neatly tucked away underneath the console so you can't see them readily. Wink

Cheers,
    Louis

Tuesday, November 25 2008 @ 03:23 PM EST

Shatner's reaction to the new Trek movie trailer:

Cheers,
    Louis

Tuesday, November 25 2008 @ 03:58 PM EST
    OMG that clip is hilarious!!!!

Tuesday, November 25 2008 @ 04:58 PM EST
    I consider myself a big Star Trek fan. Like Doctor Who I have every episode/film and have seen them all many, many times so I am surprised by my reaction to this trailer. I really, really hope the film is a flop! Star Trek, for me, started to lose its way during Voyager.Rick Berman and Brannon Braga were arrogant enough to think that only they could produce Star Trek and instead of stepping down to allow somebody else to provide a new vision for the show they created Enterprise which ended up rehashing many stories from previous series. Not only that but they decided to go "back to the beginning"... WHY??? I do feel very strongly that the franchise should stop being reset to the beginning. Do we really need more Kirk et al? We have had 3 years (4 if you include the animated Series) and 6 (and a half) movies. Why not take the Star Trek universe forward? Set it on a timeship, create a series which has a continuing storyline (a la Battlestar galactica). What made DS9 so great was that it was totally different from the other series and it also had an organic storyline that ran through the seven seasons. Every character (with the possible exception of Quark) grew and were totally different in the last episode than in their first. Voyager just hit the reset button every week and failed to take advantage of the basic premise of the show!

I would rather the franchise stayed dead than just going round this time loop. We know what happens to Kirk, Spock and Bones... Give us new characters, new political situations and NO. MORE. ENTERPRISE's!!!

That said, I will see it and maybe this film will change my mind... But judging by the trailer, I doubt it very much indeed!

Rant ends. Evil

Oooh, I feel surprisingly better now Smile

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, November 26 2008 @ 03:40 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Dalzo] create a series which has a continuing storyline (a la Battlestar galactica). What made DS9 so great was that it was totally different from the other series and it also had an organic storyline that ran through the seven seasons.

I totally agree that if and when they make a new series they should follow in the footsteps of something like the new Battlestar Galactica. And I too have no idea why they didn't expand on the formula that made DS9 such a critical success. Stargate SG-1 is another franchise that was also able to capitalize on something recent trek series failed to grasp or embrace.

But I kinda don't know why you are hoping the new film flops. If it flops I think it will because it isn't any good. But I want it to soar, because I'm sure that will be a sign it has something new and fresh to offer. I'm also wondering how much of a somewhat alternate universe this new Trek film will inhabit. I don't think it will be as drastic as the the BSG re-envisioning, but still it obviously won't all all established canon to a tee.

Anyway, what my point really is, I think the discussion of Trek's future on television is a somewhat different 1 than what it should be at the movies. Right now I'm looking for some explosive (big budget) fun from a new Trek movie. At least 3 of the 4 next gen movies seemed like overblown 2 part TV episodes. Other than more ship interior sets what live locales do we get to visit? A desert in 10 that looks remarkably like the SW US? Ho-hum alien planet in Insurrection? Even though the whole 'Vette chase in the trailer almost makes no sense it sure is fun. How long have we had to wait to finally get a true or more realistic glimpse of Earth in Kirk's time? I'm excited about this upcoming movie, very excited.

Wednesday, November 26 2008 @ 08:00 PM EST
    As someone who isn't a Star Trek fan and who has trouble watching anything with William Shatner in it (Give me Next Generation Picard anyday) I'm really excited to see the movie based on that trailer. Going back to the younger Kirk and Spock could be disastrous for old fans but to me it looks far more interesting.

Perhaps they're looking to bring in more to the fanbase?

"You would make a good Dalek."

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed