The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Yet Another Promo for the 2014 Doctor Who Christmas Special - Last Christmas
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 319 - The 2014 Series of Doctor Who Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Inside the Dalek
    Inside the Dalek
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Other Science Fiction/Fantasy »  Watchmen
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Watchmen Views: 1501
     Saturday, March 07 2009 @ 12:12 PM EST
    Questions:

1) Any of you fans?
    2) If so (or if not) do any of you plan on seeing it?
    3) For those of you who have, is it worth it?

Loved the graphic novel. A masterpiece. Am planning on seeing it next week.

What we observe is not Nature Itself, but Nature exposed to our method of questioning.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, March 07 2009 @ 01:01 PM EST
    I'm a huge fan of the comic. I have the original 12-issue run from when it first came out and the graphic novel that I bought so I wouldn't destroy my comics by reading them over and over. I've been dreading any attempt to make a movie of the story. I didn't think it was possible. When I saw the first trailer (the one with the Smashing Pumpkins song), though, it really got me geeked out. So now I'm cautiously optimistic. I haven't seen it yet, but will try to go today or tomorrow.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, March 22 2009 @ 10:45 AM EDT
    I just did some forum searching and I can't find and discussion of the movie after it was released. Feel free to point me to the right thread and close this one if you want.

I didn't get to see it opening weekend, but I did see it last weekend. As a big fan of the comic, I was impressed. I didn't think it was possible to make it into a movie, but I thought they did a really good job. The stuff they took out, I understood why they would have to. The change to the ending (which obviously I'll not mention here) didn't bother me, it worked. I didn't mind them changing Spiderman to make the webs organic rather than something he invented, either. I went with a friend who had not read the comics, and she really liked it, too. But after it ended we sat in the theater for about 5 minutes while I explained a couple of things she didn't quite understand. I heard that there will be a DVD similar to the extedned Lord of the Rings DVDs where they will expand it to about 3 and a half hours and tell the fuller story. All in all, I think Zach Snyder pulled it off.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, March 22 2009 @ 12:27 PM EDT
    I have a 14 year old son, who has read the graphic novel. He wants to see it (The US R rating means he can go if I take him [or his mother, but that is not likely as she hates Sci-Fi etc and is squeamish).

I would welcom recommendations from those who have seen it on how appropriate/inappropriate it is to take him.

Note: I am fairly liberal on what my kids can see (UK standards rather than US standards).

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, March 22 2009 @ 05:03 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie]
    I would welcom recommendations from those who have seen it on how appropriate/inappropriate it is to take him.

Note: I am fairly liberal on what my kids can see (UK standards rather than US standards).

There is quite a bit of gore, as you might expect from the comic (lots of blood, severed limbs, etc). There is also an explicit sex scene, one with a pretty significant about of female nudity and of course, Dr. M's genitals throughout the film.

If you truly have UK sensibilities, you might be OK with taking a 14-year-old, especially if you were OK with his reading the comic. My oldest is only 11, and I definitely would not want her to see any of it, although there is quite a bit of difference between a 14-year-old and an 11-year-old.

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, March 22 2009 @ 05:53 PM EDT
    i don't want to see it.

in my opinion watchmen didn't need to be a movie. it was just fine by itself.

and zack snyder sure does love blue screen's & slow motion doesn't he?

"Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, March 22 2009 @ 07:24 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie] I have a 14 year old son, who has read the graphic novel. He wants to see it (The US R rating means he can go if I take him [or his mother, but that is not likely as she hates Sci-Fi etc and is squeamish).

If your son has read the book he's already familiar with what you'll see on the screen. Whether or not seeing the violence, attempted rape, etc. acted out is more damaging or troubling that seeing it in comic form is up to you to decide I guess.

I thought this was an amusing article, though...

Why you shouldn't take kids to see 'Watchmen'

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, March 22 2009 @ 07:29 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Justice] i don't want to see it.

That's fine if you don't want to see it, but even though it didn't need to be made into a movie, Snyder did a much better job adapting Watchmen than whoever adapted League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I dreaded Watchmen being made into a movie, but actually enjoyed it in the end.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, March 22 2009 @ 10:52 PM EDT
    I am also a fan (read/bought them when they first came out).

I have to say that I enjoyed the movie a lot. Actually only two things bothered me throughout the film: 1) Matthew Goode's American accent, and 2) the parents who brought their four and six year old kids (it wasn't the kids that were the problem, it was that the parents brought them to such a movie!).

I would actually recommend this to anyone who is a fan of the comic/graphic novel, or, as I did, to anyone who is enjoys apocolyptic movies.

No, it doesn't follow the story exactly, but how could it unless they were going to show three separate episodes? But the homage to the graphic novel was stellar.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, April 29 2009 @ 08:32 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Justice] i don't want to see it.

But surely the same could be said of anything that transfers from one format to another? Sometimes they work, sometimes (often even) they don’t.

In this case it worked, bigtime.

I was too slow getting a ticket for it at Waterloo’s (London) Imax on the day it was released, so in the end I ended up at 3am show on the Friday night/Saturday morning. Coming out of the cinema at a misty 6 in the morning, after you’ve seen a fantastic adaptation of a book you love, on the biggest cinema screen in Europe; it was simply great.

I’d not read (or more accurately, re-read) this for a long time going into the cinema – but such was the impression that the book left on me, and such was the faithfulness to source in so many places, at times I was (in my head) joining in with the dialogue.

I’m not a great fan of Alan Moore the man. He can be an arrogant, egotistical drama queen, yet his writing can be as sublime as he can seemingly sometimes be ridiculous. From the opening credits I saw his name wasn’t included anywhere, it simply mentioned Dave Gibbons – whatever the problem was, to not name him struck as amazingly daft; with hindsight it’s obvious, but quick research upon getting home (Google!) said such was his dislike of the adaptation of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, he’d actually chosen not to be associated or name-checked. Personally, I’m not the complete hater of that film that everyone else on the planet seems to be, but as the writer, I can understand grievances at that version of your “work”. Apparently he (Moore) also given his royalties from the film and associated merchandise to Dave Gibbons (which if true, is massively generous).

Aside from a great film, Watchmen’s merchandise has also been particularly impressive. I’m as bigger whore for DC’s stuff as I am for Character’s Doctor range, and I think the Watchmen figures are quite simply as good as any I’ve seen. They’re simply lovely. Superman Returns was a complete and utter merchandise disaster. It was all shite. The Dark Knight certainly had its moments, but for everything good there were 2 or 3 turkeys – but a quick look around Forbidden Planet shows shelves filled up with really nice Watchmen stuff.

Also, if you’re big fans of the comic (Linquel and Mad4Plaid), you’ll simply adore Dave Gibbons & Chip Kidd’s “Watching The Watchmen” book. It’s pretty cheap now (at least here in UK) and is jam-packed with countless early drafts of characters and scenes, notes between Moore and Gibbons etc. It’s a proper beauty.

The music of the film was great too. Although I didn’t have the faintest idea who it was at the time, at the closing credits of an apocalyptic movie, at full-on Imax volume, at the very crack of dawn, My Chemical Romance’s blistering version of “Desolation Row” is something I’d recommend to anyone!!

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, April 29 2009 @ 08:34 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Tardis-Knight]From the opening credits I saw his name wasn’t included anywhere, it simply mentioned Dave Gibbons – whatever the problem was, to not name him struck as amazingly daft; with hindsight it’s obvious, but quick research upon getting home (Google!) said such was his dislike of the adaptation of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, he’d actually chosen not to be associated or name-checked. Personally, I’m not the complete hater of that film that everyone else on the planet seems to be, but as the writer, I can understand grievances at that version of your “work”. Apparently he (Moore) also given his royalties from the film and associated merchandise to Dave Gibbons (which if true, is massively generous).

I've heard that before about Moore giving his share of the royalties to the artist and other people involved in the books. I agree that at least that is a classy thing to do. He could just dig his heels in and refuse to have his work adapted. But he knows he's not the only person involved.

I don't hate the LXG movie. I take it for what it is. I own it on DVD, but I'm pretty sure it was a "previously viewed" rental copy and not a new copy.

[Quote  by:  Tardis-Knight]Also, if you’re big fans of the comic (Linquel and Mad4Plaid), you’ll simply adore Dave Gibbons & Chip Kidd’s “Watching The Watchmen” book. It’s pretty cheap now (at least here in UK) and is jam-packed with countless early drafts of characters and scenes, notes between Moore and Gibbons etc. It’s a proper beauty.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to track that down. I'll check Amazon and add it to my Wishlist or my next purchase.

I wish I had gotten to see it at an Imax theater. I'll have to check the Chicago theater and see if it's still there. I was going to go with a coworker but he said he heard that it was selling out well in advance...i.e. you would have to buy a 7pm showing ticket at 9am or something.

I've seen the first few eps of the Watchmen In Motion animated movie. It's pretty slick. I just wish they would have had male and female actors for the various voices. I may end up buying that DVD, too.

I've also "acquired" the The Mindscape of Alan Moore documentary but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

Ok, as long as we're on this subject...here is my personal ranking of the Alan Moore movies that I know of. (Constantine wasn't an Alan Moore comic, right?)

1. Watchmen
    2. V for Vendetta
    3. From Hell
    4. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

How would you rank them?

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, April 30 2009 @ 08:25 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Linquel]
    I've also "acquired" the The Mindscape of Alan Moore documentary but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

For want of a better way of putting it; he just goes off on one for an hour. I've very little desire to ever watch it again.

[Quote  by:  Linquel] I've seen the first few eps of the Watchmen In Motion animated movie. It's pretty slick. I just wish they would have had male and female actors for the various voices. I may end up buying that DVD, too.

I'm surprised more comics don't end up like this. I find them very watchable. I thought the voices we're really good, and until I thought about what you said, hadn't really noticed a problem with the male voicing the female parts.

I remember Marvel went thru a phase of releasing their (Ultimate) X-Men on DVD in much the same way as this was done, and there was also a Daredevil one with about 12 episodes on it (which I've got somewhere). I enjoyed it. They must have sold ok because I tried to actually get the X-Men ones, and I couldnt get the earlier volumes (I think there were 4) for love nor money.

[Quote  by:  Linquel]
    Ok, as long as we're on this subject...here is my personal ranking of the Alan Moore movies that I know of. (Constantine wasn't an Alan Moore comic, right?)

1. Watchmen
    2. V for Vendetta
    3. From Hell
    4. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

How would you rank them?

I'd absolutely agree with the order set out. I love V For Vendetta and I loved the film. I love that 1984-esque bleak fascist Britain setting. It worked wonderfully well on screen.

I particularly love the book form of From Hell, but good lord the lettering makes it a bloody hard read! Strangely, even my father read From Hell! Apart from possibly as a child, I'm 100% certain he never read another comic in his life. He was Hoxton born and in the twilight of his years, he went back to his roots and became a bit of a local history buff and was seriously interested in anything of note from the area. Clearly From Hell's subject matter towers over everything else of local interest.

I've never read Hellblazer or Swamp Thing (in which Constantine originally appeared), I don't ever recall a Moore run on Hellblazer however. It's probably Garth Ennis' stuff that makes up it's storyline (I'm certain Darth would know the answer to that off the top of his head).

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, May 02 2009 @ 11:13 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Tardis-Knight] For want of a better way of putting it; he just goes off on one for an hour. I've very little desire to ever watch it again.

Hurm. That's not a very glowing recommendation. I might not go out of my way to watch it right away then. I will still try to watch it some time.

[Quote  by:  Tardis-Knight]
    I particularly love the book form of From Hell, but good lord the lettering makes it a bloody hard read!

Very true. Smile I remember reading it once trying to figure out if a particular word was some obscure British slang word I wasn't familiar with. Then I realized I was reading the lettering wrong and it was a completely common word. Whoops. It's a fantastic book, though. I had a hard time getting into it the first time I tried reading it. I picked it up maybe a year later and was completely enthralled by it.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, May 05 2009 @ 11:53 AM EDT
    On Saturday, Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill were at Gosh Comics in Bloomsbury, signing League of Extraordinary Gentleman 1910.

I had no idea; I was literally just dawdling back up from Central London through Bloomsbury, on the way to St Pancras station.

They were there from 2pm until 5pm (at least that was the scheduled time), but it was close to 6pm when I got there. I tried to join the queue but when I did the man from Gosh apologised and said that they were already over scheduled time and the queue had been capped.

It’s funny, I’ve never particularly liked him (Moore) – but on Saturday I was really disappointed to have missed him.

Leah Moore is writing Dynamite's Sherlock Holmes title. I love a lot of Dynamite's stuff. I love their current stuff. Man With No Name, Zorro and (particularly) The Lone Ranger - they're all very strong. I've never read any of Leah Moore's stuff, although I've read very mixed reviews of her writing.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed