The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Yet Another Promo for the 2014 Doctor Who Christmas Special - Last Christmas
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 319 - The 2014 Series of Doctor Who Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Simon Pegg and Rich
    Simon Pegg and Rich
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Other Science Fiction/Fantasy »  Primeval Series 3
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Primeval Series 3 Views: 2550
     Sunday, March 29 2009 @ 03:44 PM EDT
    Did anyone watch?

I didn't even know it was back. I was going through the Catch Up TV thingy on Virgin, and I was going to give Robin Hood a try, and then I noticed Primeval was available. Initially I thought it must be a repeat but then I noticed it was 3.1!

As always, I thought it was really good. It's not quite up there in my affections with Doctor Who, Hitchhikers or Star Wars, but I really do enjoy this.

It was quite witty and I do like the characters. As usual it took about 2 minutes before we had a shot of Abby in her little panties, and Connor is just excellent. Girlfriend thought Nick Cutter looked a bit of pratt with his boho style hair (but "still wouldn't exactly say no").

People often moan about the CGI, and I've got zero time for such complaints, I think it's excellent and as lifelike as any I've seen. I think it's the program's strongest feature.

The trailer for next week looks good too.

After it was done, I went back to watch Robin Hood. I've always been into this as a story, and I can't think of a film/tv version of it that I don't like (and I personally think Kevin Costner's version is great), but I've no time for this at all, I gave up after about 10 minutes (after I'd previously given up a couple of episodes in to series 2. It just doesn't work for me.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, March 29 2009 @ 05:24 PM EDT
    I echo just about everything you said. I also have a soft spot for Primeval - I'm not quite sure why and probably shouldn't try to analyse it too much. It's just such fun with chases, big dinosaurs, Abby's panties (Dave?)and Ben Stiller.
    Also don't have much time for Robin Hood - we're still waiting for the definitive version of that in my opinion.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, March 29 2009 @ 06:22 PM EDT
    You guys just made my day (and my day started out with a 5-mile race through a late-March Chicago snowstorm). I really like Primeval, too. I didn't like season 2 as much as season 1, but I still like the show overall. And more of Abby in her panties? Life is good.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, March 29 2009 @ 10:15 PM EDT
    Yeah I agree. I lov PRIMEVAL season one alot. It's kind of a homage to older sci fi from the 1950s in many ways and done well. I liked season two also but not as much as 1.I saw the first part of the 3.2 and saw al of 3.1 and thought it was good. 3.2 I have my quesitons about.

I too love the Kevin Costner film of ROBIN HOOD. For me, I can't get into any of the characters / actors in this new version and I've tried. I guess I have my own ideas about what Robin Hood should be like. Do you know that Paul Darrow played in one BBC version, and I thnk he plyaed the Sheriff. Anyway, I find ROBIN HOOD is a finite story with a definite end. To ahve Robin win every week and get the people on his side against the baddies...only to have it back to the same struggle next week is...predictabe. I found this one, 3.1 of Rhood very very predictable. ANd it doesn't make sense that he'd let Gisborne live or at least take him prisoner...very dull in many ways but visually it is great.

PRIMEVAL I liked season one better than DW actually and because it was grounded yet had alot of action and fun characters and lines.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, March 30 2009 @ 12:07 PM EDT
    I watched the first ep and it was ok. I'm not sure how I feel about this direction of "myths and legends" coming from creatures escaping into the past via the anomolies. The new characters don't reallyl seem fully developed to me. I guess maybe when you only have 6 to 8 episodes in a season you don't really have a lot of time to flesh them out slowly. I still like the show and will keep watching. I just really liked the first season. I have a hard time seeing Connor being all bad-ass with a pistol and Abby karate kicking dinosaurs in the head.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, March 30 2009 @ 12:12 PM EDT
    Was a cracking start imo. The first episode of last series seemed to be a bit childish but now it seems the writers are giving the series even more of a story arc.

I've heard something about a German TV station putting up money for this series (which is why the CGI looks alot better I suppose!) and as a result got the first episode before we in the UK did. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Please check out my blog, as I attempt to watch and review EVERY Doctor Who episode! http://journeythroughtimeandspace.blogspot.com/
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, March 30 2009 @ 12:35 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Linquel] I have a hard time seeing Connor being all bad-ass with a pistol and Abby karate kicking dinosaurs in the head.

I know what you mean - but when they ran headfirst into the building, and the SAS types were standing there with AK47s (or whatever they were), and Connor and Abby had something akin to water-pistols, it did make me laugh. And Connor's subsequent "Action Man says he's coming" line really cracked me up too.

Also, d'you remember Abby from series 2, suddenly thinking she was Hong Kong Phooey and jumping and kicking a 10ft, man eating monster in the head - yeah, right. It didnt really work then either!

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, March 30 2009 @ 07:24 PM EDT
    I've also really enjoyed Primeval, from what I think is a purely guilty pleasures place. I noticed they got rid of one eye candy piece for the ladies and threw in another (with the new military captain) who pretty much looks the same (hopefully he strips off his shirt as much as Abby parades in her undies!).

I don't mind the myths and legends angle, I sort of figured its only a matter of time before they decide this is how St George fought a dragon and how there is still a monster in Loch Ness to this day.

I also watched Robin Hood. After he got over his hissy-fit (which lasted over half the show) it wasn't too bad. Not enjoying Richard Armitage's Severus Snape hairstyle, but whatever.

I'll look forward to watching both shows in the upcoming months, as we're about to go into the new show void on US TV.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, March 31 2009 @ 03:34 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Chase] Yeah I agree. I lov PRIMEVAL season one alot. It's kind of a homage to older sci fi from the 1950s in many ways and done well. I liked season two also but not as much as 1.I saw the first part of the 3.2 and saw al of 3.1 and thought it was good. 3.2 I have my quesitons about.

I don't understand - have I missed 3.2? When was it on??

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, March 31 2009 @ 07:44 PM EDT
    I agree with you about Connor and Abby but if they are to survive, I guess they needed to get some training. They can't keep looking for broomhandles or boat sticks to hit monsters with

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, March 31 2009 @ 07:52 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  cybercolin]
    I've heard something about a German TV station putting up money for this series (which is why the CGI looks alot better I suppose!) and as a result got the first episode before we in the UK did. Can anyone shed any light on this?

In the credits it's listed as being produced in conjunction with ProSieben. I've acquired German shows in the past and I may try finding the German version of this one, too. Big Grin

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, March 31 2009 @ 07:54 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Chase] I agree with you about Connor and Abby but if they are to survive, I guess they needed to get some training. They can't keep looking for broomhandles or boat sticks to hit monsters with

I suppose they could write it off that in this alternate world Nick is now in Abby and Connor are both better trained. They didn't even have the ARC in the original reality. I had hoped we were going to find out more info on the Claudia change. Nothing looks forthcoming, though.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, March 31 2009 @ 10:00 PM EDT

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, April 01 2009 @ 12:54 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Tardis-Knight]I don't understand - have I missed 3.2? When was it on??

I heard that they showed it early in Germany, for some reason. As far as I know, it airs on Saturday in the UK.

By the way- E02 was written by James Moran.

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 05 2009 @ 07:06 AM EDT
    3.2 was ok.

The haunted house theme is a bit like a murder on a train; it's one of those things that's been done so many times, on the face of it it's a bit of a bore. But yet loads of us just love a train murder or a ghost in the fireplace!

Given that I'd argue with anyone that Primeval's CGI has been exceptional throughout both previous series - for once I thought yesterday's creature was a little weak.

The Cleaner thing and the nastyness of Helen is interesting. But the constant teasers showing that something is brewing is starting to annoy; I just wish they'd get on with it (next week's trailer suggests they might). Nick Cutter walking into his home and immediately knowing someone was inside was slightly naff. At least Smiley had markers. Nick's insight was (from what I could see) just some sort of sixth sense.

As per last week's discussions, Abby has become a bit of a Karate kid. I'm surprised she didnt kick Cutter right in the unmentionables when she was compared to Nancy - but it did make me chuckle.

I do like this show; I don't actually watch it when it's broadcast (I watched it on Virgin Catch Up at about 3am this morning), but it's nice being out and about on Saturday's bright early evenings, knowing there's something worth watching on TV.

I hope we get some more Character Figures out of it too.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed