The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Into the Dalek? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Into the Dalek' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 31st
  • Series 8 Titles - Now Released!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Deep Breath' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 24th
  • BBC One 'Deep Breath' Promotional Advertisement Video [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 306 - Interviews with Ian Marter and Sarah Sutton
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    r/c Dalek Battle Pack w/ Rose
    r/c Dalek Battle Pack w/ Rose
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Other Science Fiction/Fantasy »  MILLENNIUM
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    MILLENNIUM Views: 984
     Wednesday, April 08 2009 @ 08:56 PM EDT
    Recently rewatched a few of these episodes from across the three seasons and I must say...it is a strange show. It's certainly thought provoking, not light entertainment. It's also got a wham pack of flaws and faults but on the whole and given some individual episodes, it's just about as good as some TV can get.

The show is as dark as all get go and somewhat depressing. The acting is almost always super and the overall plots good, intersting and different.

In many ways this show was the forerunner, ahead of its time, it definitely influenced such shows as the entire CSI franchise and even though LAW AND ORDER came first (1994!), the later seasons of LAW AND ORDER and its spinoffs were most definitely affected by the murders and style of MILLENIUM. Not to mention PROFILER and PRETENDER, CRIMINAL MINDS, NCIS, PREY, and about a dozen other genre and non genre shows, most of them not as good but not too bad either.

Serial killers are old hat now but the truth is: they are much more scary than a fake lookng alien, silly TWLIGHT style vampires and werewlves. Even at their best, monsters like Frankenstein and Dracula do not scare me, Freddie, Jason and Micheal are just a bit disturbing and can be scary mostly due to their serial killer elements but...real life scares are more scary and MILLENNIUM was about a real life as an X FILES off shoot can get. At times, MILL far surpassed the X FILES and deserved a fourth season to wrap things up better than that tepid X FILES ep with Frank Black and....zombies. MILL was never about the monsters but about people, truth, lies, the future, our role in realm of things, how we treat each other, love, hate, religion vs spirituality and wth the occasional fun off the wall ep including one with Charles Nelson Reilly and self help clubs and one where four demons (one played by the guy who played MAUDE'S husband!) talk about how they fear Frank Black...!

This show deserves a second look. And that theme song...truly chilling and moving at the same time!~

Oh and a fourth season on line...in fact, TWO fourth seasons on line were just about as good as fan fic could get and bot deserved to be filmed! I believe there was even a fift season on line, fan fiction.

A haunting show that also promoted...oddly...love. Fr Frank Black, depite all his hang ups, loved his daughter and his wife.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, April 08 2009 @ 09:58 PM EDT

Now showing on Chiller TV three times daily. Yes indeed, Lance Henriksen and Terry O'Quinn at their best. There are talks of a movie in the works as Chris Carter's next project if the DVD sales of the series continue to do well.

-Edit- Gaak, sorry about that. Link fixed. -End Edit-

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Thursday, April 09 2009 @ 05:29 AM EDT
    I absolutely love this series. Dark, beautifully shot, great acting and fantastic storylines. I do feel that the third season suffered for Chris Carter retaking the reins from Jame Wong and Glen Morgan who had basically overseen the second season whilst Carter was busy on The X Files season 5 and the movie. The last two episodes of Season 2 truly are some of the best television ever made and would have made a fantastic end to the series as a whole. It was of truly apocalyptic proportions. I recommend people dig out this fantastic series. You won't be disappointed (although you may end up a little depressed). Great series and I would love a film (in fact, I think the recent X Files film would have been much better had it been a Millennium film with good old Lance Henriksen obviously taking the lead...) but I don't think one is forthcoming. Apparently Carter and Henriksen talk about it all the time... I just don't see it happening. I seriously hope I am wrong though!!!

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, April 09 2009 @ 11:10 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley]
    Now showing on Chiller TV three times daily. Yes indeed, Lance Henriksen and Terry O'Quinn at their best. There are talks of a movie in the works as Chris Carter's next project if the DVD sales of the series continue to do well.

Here you go. The link works now. (In the quote box)

A common problem in making links is the "double http://" entry. If you just copy and paste an address and click on the url button this page will add a second http:// to the entry. If you do that the link will be a dead link so when you enter a link double check the address for this problem.

Now for "Millennium".

I enjoyed the first two seasons. When Frank and his wife (Catherine) seperated during season two it made the decision of who to give the cure to all the harder (his wife or his child (Jordan)).

When season three came around, I lost interest when Frank was teamed up with Klea Scott's character (agent Emma Hollis).

It's biggest problem was when it aired. The show was broadcast on Friday nights (at 8:00 PM) on Fox. Friday Night is generally considered to be a "death knell" for many shows now (with only Satuday being the worst). On top of that they were competing against ABC's TGIF block of programming that dominated the airwaves during the '90's. It's surprising that Millemmium" lasted as long as it did under those circumstances.

All of the episodes have been released on DVD so that route is available if you can't find the show on-line or don't have a system that carries "Chilller TV" (like me).

"Make your last move, Doctor. Make your LAST move." The Celestial Toymaker to the Doctor in "The Celestial Toymaker: The Final Test"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, April 09 2009 @ 01:44 PM EDT
    Yeah I liked all the seasons but I think season 2 suffered from...I don't quite know, too much messing about and too little Cathrine and Laura Means...but that sceen on Mother's Day of the family dying from the plague as blood comes from evry pore is just the most horrible thing ever filmed for TV...very scary to me.

Catherine's death:not sure how I feel. She was a great character and it was very sad but I think the makers of the show wanted to get rid of the actress.

I might stand alone in this but I like Emma’s character and the stories around her. It certainly went the way I didn’t expect it to go with her. I think season two’s ending was NOT a good way to end the show as it was too too downbeat and as downbeat as this show is, it also stands for hope, too. That ending sucked to me for so many reasons. The virtual season four on line someplace has a much better, ending as least IMO. I also think that the creator getting the show back worked and brought it back to some of the realism, gritty or not, that made the first season so different and strange, without all the supernatural stuff taking over. Not that I didn’t like season two, I did, in some ways, each season is like a different series, with overlaps of course…someplace on line there’s a Doctor Who/Millennium crossover with Frank Black appearing with two companions at the Dark Shadows mansion and they think he might be the Doctor!

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, May 13 2009 @ 09:41 PM EDT
    Okay I'm having a bit of a kinepsion or something here as I rewatch some of the second season. Having just rewatched most of the first season, I saw how innovative, diffrent, far ahead of its time it was. At the time, the first time it aired, I didn't appreciate the first season at all. Then the second came along and was like a breath of fresh air. They did'nt focus on serial killers for most of the second season...in fact, I can't recall one single ep after Katherine's kidnapping was resolved.

There were trips to Germany, a child abuse case, and race relations stories and conspiracies, some of which seemed more akin to THE X FILES. Then it was intriguing and different.

Now I see the second season and I think WHAT THE F WERE THEY THINKING? I know Chris Carter left to do the movie X FILES first movie and the 5th season of X FILES and left it in the not so capable hands of Morgan and Wong (most of their one off series were cancelled such as THE OTHERS, which started off great and had a fair share of good eps but...). The Millennium Group begins a series of cult like saying (This is who we are) to each other, becomes sinister and evil at times or rather factions do. Now I realize and see merit in some of that and at the time it didn't seem so jarring to the First Season but really it is. It's like a team of detectives who solve serial killer cases and capture the evil doers and try to save the world and lives suddenly becoming the main villains of the piece. Even Cherly Andrews who was a helper in the first season seemed sinister and the Group Leader was like a James Bond villain.

Over the next few weeks I guess I'll watch more of the second season again and truthfully even a bad MILLIENNIUM is head and shoulders over most other TV show's episodes. But the ep SENSE AND SENSIBILITY with its African American victims being used the government experiment with no real conclusion in the story is like...so awful in the context of MILL's first season. At times, it seems like an entirely different show. Some of the experimental eps such as the return of Charles Nelson Reilly's character with a satire of self help groups (cults?) and the four demons who are discussing how Frank stopped them (a thoroughly funny AND depressing ep) seem to work. The Curse of Frank Black is ...very strange. The indian stampede ep was also interesting but strange, too. In a way, then I preferred the second season over the mundane, slow moving serial killer of the week first but now, I really think I prefer the First. As for the Third, I'll always like that but again, the Group becomes totally evil. Even Lance Henriksen didn't think it made sense as his friend Peter Watts turned into a main villain!

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, May 14 2009 @ 02:52 PM EDT
    I'm planning on revisiting all 3 seasons quite soon. Rob Shearman's new book from Mad Norwegian is going to cover Millenium as well as all 9 seasons and 2 movies of The X Files, so it will be a good excuse to do so, and to compare opinions! I'm sure it will provide for plenty of debates with Rob at Hurricane Who as well Smile

If you're in the New York area come join us for Pub and Video meets - http://DWNY.org

Thursday, May 14 2009 @ 04:21 PM EDT
    Thanks. What is Hurricane Who?

One more thing: Lara Means drives me crazy (crazier than SHE ended up in the end) because in at least one episode...she says over and over again "My thing is this..." it's enough to make one want to kill the character! Anyway I like her character but not when she says this over five times in one episode!

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, May 14 2009 @ 04:37 PM EDT
    Lara Means is a fairly annoying character, as I recall.

[Quote  by:  Chase] Thanks. What is Hurricane Who?

A Doctor Who convention in Orlando Florida, with Greath David Lloyd, Louise Jameson, Tony Hadoke, Rober Shearman and more in attendance. It takes place Halloween weekend - October 30-November 1 - this year, and promises to be lots of fun!

Hurricane Who Website

If you're in the New York area come join us for Pub and Video meets - http://DWNY.org

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored