The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Cyberman
    Cyberman
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Other Science Fiction/Fantasy »  SUPERNATURAL and SMALLVILLE
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    SUPERNATURAL and SMALLVILLE Views: 501
     Friday, May 01 2009 @ 06:18 PM EDT
    Supernatural

What the hell happened to this show? It used to be a pretty funny, sometimes creepy, almost never scary, monster of the week show. If last night's episode is anything to go by it's degenerated into a show that is just about humorless, has heroes who really aren't, and that can't get mythology on angels correct let alone demons. The "heroes" kill innocent people that are possessed by demons rather than say, exorcising them as they've done in the past. Angels possess people just like the demons do. An angel gets sent back to heaven and it's almost as bad as hell, it's not a good thing. Sam sucks blood now. Dean is someone who doesn't care about anything. The monster of the week episodes were actually better IMO. Now it's almost about nothing and it's so downbeat as to be anti heroic. How did a show deterioriate into this decrepit, morbid trash without a plot? There's often talk about an apocalypse but you know they're not going to do that on any grand scale. Last week's episode had a brother for Sam and Dean who was aleady dead. WTF? Why watch this piece of darkness that ...never mind.

SMALLVILLE
    On the other hand, Smallville which has had its share of inconsequential, gimmicky and frankly boring episodes, sometimes comes up with sheer brilliance in its simplicity. Finally, I thought the showdown between Clark and Davis. I guessed wrongly it would be another quick punch fest and snooze fest just like when he "fought" Braniac or Zod in Lex'es body. Frankly I never believed in Lex as a major villain to pit against Superman and more frankly Lex is a boring villain overall. Davis as Doomsday is much more threatening.

Anyway, the emotionality of it all surprised me. Chloe is protecting not only Davis but Clark as well. Is she being controlled? Who knows but this factor alone lead to some really tense terrific scenes and acting. Davis, played by a very good actor, is intense and well done. Clark has to agonize over how to deal with him and not kill him. Chloe has to be near him for him to be calm and tricks Clark. At the same time, last week when I saw Jimmy doing something illegal, I groaned and thought this show sucks. But this week, Oliver, who's always being mean to Clark and chewing him out (and btw doesn't he arrow people to death in some episodes?) helps Jimmy out. Finally, a hero who doesn't have just females on the mind and sex...or is it an example of that anyway? Just kidding.

Last night's episode alone can redeem the entire season especially if they can follow it up with a conclusion as equally stunning IMO. Last week's Lois as a super hero wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be; it too had some good character interplay and had Jimmy, Lois, and Clark together in a rare climax. In fact one funny part was when Jimmy thought Lois wanted him ...as a boyfriend and Lois said, "EWL, no."

Anyway, hopefully SUPERNATURAL will go off the air soon and Smallville will keep the quality up.

OKAY UPDATE: 5-15-09 Someone please cancel both these shows NOW! They suck. Jimmy killed, Lois missing, Zod returning, and Clark off on a rant. Haven't we seen all this junk before but with other characters? How awful SMALLVILLE is. I can't believe it's continuing. It does still surprize unlike SUPERNATURAL but really...it's very boring and very silly. It's a soap opera now and that's just unacceptable as it contains all the worst aspects of soaps and none of the good. Things build up all season to an event and that event is over and done with in a ...flash. Poor.

SUPERNATURAL continues to amaze me how low it has sunk. Sam was wrong. Ruby was evil. Ruby is killed. Lilith is the final seal but she's killed anyway. The devil's coming free. Excuse me? Hasn't the devil been able to walk around all the time. To make matter worse, it's stated that...God is missing or not on the scene. What? The angels again start to act like they are just better acting demons with their own agendas...evil ones at that. I mean if someone doesn't want to follow the Bible or even mythology (and to me they're not one and the same) then maybe there should be some constant about what is what and who is who. Or why bother putting angels into it at all? Why not just say that there is a faction of demons who want to get back to heaven (as the excellent and very very funny REAPER has done--and yet a great show like REAPER is cancelled and these two trash bin liner shows SMALLVILLE and SUPERNATURAL remain on and on and on...). Dean...uh, gets over it and apologizes or something to Sam. Sam says he's sorry. Just in time for the ep to end for the summer as the devil is supposedly rising...again. This show sucks! It used to be so good. Funny, humorous, scary, chilling, and exciting with characters you could depend on and that could depend on each other.

The producer once said that he had figured the show out for five seasons and that was it. Hopefully he hasn't changed his mind. He wanted to go out on a high but to be honest, I think that was last year! Season 3 would have been best to go out on.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored