The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 310 - 'Listen' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Listen? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Listen' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 14th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 309 - 'Robot of Sherwood' Reviewed
  • Patrick Troughton as Robin Hood Seen in 'Robot of Sherwood'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Robot of Sherwood? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Robot of Sherwood' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 7th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 308 - 'Into The Dalek' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Into the Dalek? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Absorbaloff from 'Love & Monsters'
    Absorbaloff from 'Love & Monsters'
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Other Science Fiction/Fantasy »  What other sci-fi do you like (after Doctor W..
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    What other sci-fi do you like (after Doctor Who)? Views: 1672
     Thursday, July 27 2006 @ 09:37 PM EDT
    I was just curious about something.

I am not a big sci-fi fan in general. Apart from Doctor Who, Firefly and the first two Star Wars movies, I'd much rather spend my television viewing time watching NHL Hockey, Bargain Hunt or the Documentary Channel. I tried watching Star Trek, etc and have found most of it to be uninteresting.

I'm curious if others are big into more sci-fi television and movie stuff, or if Doctor Who is something that attracts a different audience. What are your thoughts?

Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Thursday, July 27 2006 @ 10:07 PM EDT
    hmmm good question... maybe the time-travelling element offers up a bit of "magic" that other sci fi sometimes lacks?

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Thursday, July 27 2006 @ 10:18 PM EDT

Housekeeping Note: I am moving this thread to the "Other Science Fiction/Fantasy" forum category.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Friday, July 28 2006 @ 12:02 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Palms] I was just curious about something.

I am not a big sci-fi fan in general. Apart from Doctor Who, Firefly and the first two Star Wars movies, I'd much rather spend my television viewing time watching NHL Hockey, Bargain Hunt or the Documentary Channel. I tried watching Star Trek, etc and have found most of it to be uninteresting.

I'm curious if others are big into more sci-fi television and movie stuff, or if Doctor Who is something that attracts a different audience. What are your thoughts?

Like you, I wouldn't classify myself as a really big sci-fi fan. The last three Star Wars films disappointed me and Star Trek has never amounted to more than filler, when I can't find anything else to watch.

For the most part, I am a fantasy enthusiast, but there is something about Doctor Who that turns me into a foaming-at-the-mouth fanatic.

"Elemental, my dear Benton." The Doctor to Sgt. Benton (The Daemons)

Friday, July 28 2006 @ 02:05 AM EDT
    I love Science Fiction. Not every show or movie holds my interest but here are a few of my favorites.
    Alien Nation
    Babylon 5
    Battlestar Galactica
    Blake's 7 (I have not forgotten about the Blake's 7 podcase promised to us.) Smile
    the Invisible Man (2000-2002)
    Knight Rider
    Lexx
    Lost in Space
    Misfits of Science (guilty pleasure)
    Quantum Leap
    Red Dwarf
    Star Trek (DS9 is the best)
    Torchwood (just assuming I'll like it)
    V (mini-series)
    Voyagers! (1982-1983)
    X-Files

Of course I don't get much of a chance to watch all of them, but if any of those shows are on, I'll watch it. Of course I"m a hugh reality TV fan as well so go figure.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, July 28 2006 @ 03:11 AM EDT
    I tend to think that the non-SF viewer would be best off with Battlestar Galactica. It's got more in common with The West Wing than it does Star Trek. Indeed, it's explicitly a reaction against SF convention.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Friday, July 28 2006 @ 08:19 AM EDT
    I'm a big sci-fi fan, I would really recommend that people check out The Dead Zone and Firefly.
    I also watch Star Trek, X-files, The Prisoner, Babylon 5, Red Dwarf, Stargate and more.

My blog: http://runeblogg.blogspot.com/
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, July 28 2006 @ 08:21 AM EDT
    I'm also a huge sci fi fan. Star Wars, Star Trek, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, X-Files, Outer Limits, Twilight Zone, Farscape, I love many different properties. Doctor Who holds an appeal for me, but I don't necessarily set it apart from other scifi. the classic show was VERY scifi, and made no apologies about going to crazy planets and meeting wierd cheesy aliens. I feel the new show does make apologies, and therefore is more mainstream accessable (get off earth).

Heath Holland

Friday, July 28 2006 @ 09:30 AM EDT
    Some of my faves are: Alien Nation, Babylon 5, original and new Battlestar Galactica, Blake's 7 (Just got the dvd's), Farscape, Red Dwarf, Star Trek, UFO, X-Files, original Star Wars trilogy, first season of Buck Rogers, original The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, and One Step Beyond. Hope I didn't leave anyone out.

Maybe we should start a thread on the worst sci-fi out there. I'll start it with anything Stargate. Laughing Out Loud

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 30 2006 @ 12:23 AM EDT
    Blake's 7
    Sapphire and Steel
    UFO
    Space 1999
    Survivors
    Battlestar Galactica (New)
    Farscape
    and early Lexx

Are what springs to mind for me.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 30 2006 @ 01:39 AM EDT
    I'm a pretty big sci-fi fan. I saw Star Wars thirteen times in the theater back in '77. I went to a midnight showing of the original Alien when it first came out with my dad and older brother. I was only about 8 years old at the time. Apparently I was making a stink about wanting to go and my dad figured I'd fall asleep before the previews finished. He was wrong. I've loved just about all sci-fi since then. I love classic 70s sci-fi like Soylent Green and Planet of the Apes. I love cheesy 80s sci-fi like They Live and Total Recall. I remember hating Moontrap, but that was back before I knew who Bruce Campbell was, so maybe I should Netflix it if it's available. I've seen all incarnations of Star Trek. I loved V and V the Final Battle when they were on. I thought the TV show was ok, too. I admit, that I don't like all sci-fi automatically, though. I never watched Babylon 5 or Farscape. Didn't like Stargate the TV show (but I do own the movie) or the shows made from rejected Roddenberry notes. And of course, I'm a big Who fan. If it's sci-fi, odds are better than average that I'll like it.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 30 2006 @ 10:18 AM EDT
    Soylent Green - haha! They could envision a dystopian future where we eat processed dead bodies but OH NO - not one where women had equal rights. That's just too far-fetched. In the future, apartments come with resident prostitutes.

Yeah some of that old sci fi cracks me up and offends me all at onceSmile I do really like Truffaut's Fahrenheit 451. It's a great story, and visually I love the really saturated orange tones. I always get a chuckle out of seeing that women hiding out in the forest still have time to wear those giant bambi false eyelashes.

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Sunday, July 30 2006 @ 12:05 PM EDT
    Soylent Green and Planet of the Apes are also two great examples of Charlton Heston hammy uber-acting...

[Quote  by:  Detective Robert Thorn]It's people. Soylent Green is made out of people!!!

[Quote  by:  George Taylor]You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!

I need to rent Logan's Run again, too. I haven't seen that in about twenty-five years. Silent Running is another good one that is also very dated and has some cheesy moments.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 30 2006 @ 01:04 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Magpie] Soylent Green - haha! They could envision a dystopian future where we eat processed dead bodies but OH NO - not one where women had equal rights. That's just too far-fetched. In the future, apartments come with resident prostitutes.

Yeah some of that old sci fi cracks me up and offends me all at onceSmile I do really like Truffaut's Fahrenheit 451. It's a great story, and visually I love the really saturated orange tones. I always get a chuckle out of seeing that women hiding out in the forest still have time to wear those giant bambi false eyelashes.

I never enjoyed the Movie "Solylent Green" as much as the original Harry Harrison Novel "Make Room, Make Room!".

Likewise I was always a fan of the Logan's Run Books, but the movie and TV series never seemed as effective as i) the upped the termination age from 21 to 30 and ii) they got rid of the Homer bullets (Doh!) which never missed and ripped the Runner's guts out.

BTW Magpie, you appear to have regenerated, did some near death experience befall you last week?

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 30 2006 @ 10:06 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie] I never enjoyed the Movie "Solylent Green" as much as the original Harry Harrison Novel "Make Room, Make Room!".

Likewise I was always a fan of the Logan's Run Books, but the movie and TV series never seemed as effective as i) the upped the termination age from 21 to 30 and ii) they got rid of the Homer bullets (Doh!) which never missed and ripped the Runner's guts out.

Is that the same Harry Harrison who wrote the Stainless Steel Rat books? If so, I never knew that. I'll have to try tracking the Make Room book down and reading it. I liked all the SSR books when I was a kid.

I also never read the original Logan's Run book(s). I'll have to do some searching at my local libraries and second hand book stores.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored