The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Into the Dalek' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 31st
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Deep Breath' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 24th
  • BBC One 'Deep Breath' Promotional Advertisement Video [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 306 - Interviews with Ian Marter and Sarah Sutton
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Inside the Dalek
    Inside the Dalek
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Other Science Fiction/Fantasy »  Heroes
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Heroes Views: 8888
     Tuesday, November 14 2006 @ 11:45 PM EST
    I kind of think that Heroes fits into the Other SciFi/Fantasy what with the superpowers and all. No one seems to be talking about it here, though. Am I the only one hooked on it?

Eek!

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, November 15 2006 @ 12:14 AM EST
    I know there are others here that are hooked. I can truely say it's adictive. I love Hiro and as long as his character stays true I will watch (unless a "Super Stregnth" hero shows up then I will give up). It's up to Louis as to how much discussion takes place here concering "Heroes". Hiro is the best character for discussion here in my humble oppinion.

Save Hiro, for he is "The Cosmic Reset Button" Wink

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, November 15 2006 @ 05:23 AM EST
    Totally hooked. Paying per episode for it. Probably the best, wholly original new shows on American TV in a decade. It may well become the most financially, critically and popularly successful genre show in American TV history.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Wednesday, November 15 2006 @ 08:26 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] Totally hooked. Paying per episode for it. Probably the best, wholly original new shows on American TV in a decade. It may well become the most financially, critically and popularly successful genre show in American TV history.

I agree with those statements. It's one of the best television shows I've ever seen. It's a lot like Lost, only if Lost was actually going somewhere. Something significant happens in every single episode, and the creators behind the show have said that they made it their mission to move the story along quickly, not spaced out and slowly like Lost is doing.
    I love the show.

Heath Holland

Wednesday, November 15 2006 @ 08:32 AM EST
    Eek! WOW Eek!
    I don't think I have ever heard such unreserved praise from DarthSkeptical. Diddn't even have a problem with Niki. Well at least Claire has a "conditional imortality" unlike our "Sad Eternal Cptn. Jack" Wink .

Wednesday, November 15 2006 @ 10:25 AM EST
    They may be getting an interesting new cast member...

Eccleston on Heroes?

Mike

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, November 15 2006 @ 11:56 AM EST
    MikeD, your link isn't working, but this one might:

http://tvguide.com/News-Views/Columnists/Ask-Ausiello/default.aspx

Heath Holland

Wednesday, November 15 2006 @ 01:14 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  hdutch007] MikeD, your link isn't working, but this one might:

http://tvguide.com/News-Views/Columnists/Ask-Ausiello/default.aspx

It was a victim of the dreaded double http:// in this forum Frown

I fixed it so it should be working now. Thanks for pointing it out.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Wednesday, November 15 2006 @ 01:22 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Linquel] I kind of think that Heroes fits into the Other SciFi/Fantasy what with the superpowers and all. No one seems to be talking about it here, though. Am I the only one hooked on it?

Eek!

I have never seen it... From the title, am I to guess that this falls into the superhero genre? Is this something similar to Smallville? If so, I would imagine it falls into 'fantasy' so it fits into this forum.

I think I saw it listed in the Sci-Fi Channel line up for Friday nights... Is this so? Is this a Sci-Fi Channel show? I had thought it was "network television" or is it on NBC and they are just sharing it on the Sci-Fi Channel as well (since they are both owned by the same company)?

I'm not a casual television viewer, so unless a new series calls out to my attention, I don't notice it. This is an example of that happening. I also never saw the Firefly series as well because it came and left without me ever knowing it.

Cheers,
    Louis

Wednesday, November 15 2006 @ 02:08 PM EST
    My only concern it that it might be getting too much hype. Check it out on NBC Monday night and Sci-Fi on Friday same episode (an Historic first for a first run). The tagline "Save the Cheerleader Save the World" is rather a turnoff, even though I understand the implications of the phrase. Louis mentioned Firefly and I will mention John Doe both excelent shows that "Never Found an Audience" beacuse they were put back to back on Friday night. Heroes is very good and is developing nicely With the focus becoming very clear. I am glad that I am not alone in our international group that I am not the only one Hooked Smile . Louis, check it out a Space-Time warping Japanese comic book geek. Hiro is wonderful.

Wednesday, November 15 2006 @ 03:47 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis]I have never seen it... From the title, am I to guess that this falls into the superhero genre? Is this something similar to Smallville? If so, I would imagine it falls into 'fantasy' so it fits into this forum.

I haven't watched it (but my wife likes it), but it reminds me of a modern-day, more "real-life" (if that's possible) version of the X-Men.

[Quote  by: Louis] I think I saw it listed in the Sci-Fi Channel line up for Friday nights... Is this so? Is this a Sci-Fi Channel show? I had thought it was "network television" or is it on NBC and they are just sharing it on the Sci-Fi Channel as well (since they are both owned by the same company)?

As far as I know, it's an NBC show, being shown on SciFi.

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, November 15 2006 @ 04:00 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  rocko]
    [Quote  by: Louis] I think I saw it listed in the Sci-Fi Channel line up for Friday nights... Is this so? Is this a Sci-Fi Channel show? I had thought it was "network television" or is it on NBC and they are just sharing it on the Sci-Fi Channel as well (since they are both owned by the same company)?

As far as I know, it's an NBC show, being shown on SciFi.

This series is doing something that is unheard of. The new episode premiers on NBC Monday night, then again on Sci-Fi on Friday (The Same Episode). This is a FIRST RUN so this is unusual exposure for a show. This has never (to my knowledge) been done, especially for a fantasy/sci-fi show.

Does no one read my posts? Wink

Wednesday, November 15 2006 @ 04:16 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley] Does no one read my posts? Wink

Yep, but I guess I should pay more attention before hitting the old "reply" button... Wink

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, November 15 2006 @ 05:32 PM EST
    Louis, the premise of the show is that people all over the world suddenly realize that they have developed powers. One cheerleader in Texas realizes that she is indestructable. A man in Japan can bend time. A painter, when he is high on drugs, can paint the future. Another man can absorb the power of someone who has power if they are close to him. A cop can hear the thoughts of those around him.
    The show asks what would you do with powers like this if you had them. There is an evil that is rising, but it's sort of indefinable at this point. So far, the first handful of episodes have focused on these people and how their destinies are slowly intertwining.
    It's well paced, intellegent, and most importantly, it really moves. It's NOTHING like Smallville. Smallville is centered around teen angst and slooooow season arcs. The closest thing it can be compared to, as far as structure, is Lost, in the sense that it's about a larger cast with a central theme. However, it moves much quicker than Lost, and each episode ends with a cliffhanger that makes you wish you were watching them all back to back.
    I have yet to hear someone who didn't appreciate the show on some level, much less dislike it.

Heath Holland

Wednesday, November 15 2006 @ 06:14 PM EST

Thanks for the lowdown on Heroes... and I now believe I do recall seeing something that promoted the series at one time, be it a commercial or an upcoming attraction promo for the series, I can't recall now.

Is it a series that one really needs to see from the beginning? If one starts watching it now, will they be lost? Oh, and speaking of lost, I have never ever seen Lost... but with all the exposure to the hype associated with it, I have an idea of the comparison illustrated above.

Since it is on the Sci-Fi Channel, perhaps they will do a marathon of the series so one can catch up with it.

When I have sooooo many DVDs piled up still in their shrink wrap begging to be watched, it is hard to think about watching something else that eats into my limited time I have for watching television. But if it is good enough and worthy enough, I should check it out sometime.

Cheers,
    Louis

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic