The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Listen? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Listen' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 14th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 309 - 'Robot of Sherwood' Reviewed
  • Patrick Troughton as Robin Hood Seen in 'Robot of Sherwood'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Robot of Sherwood? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Robot of Sherwood' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 7th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 308 - 'Into The Dalek' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Into the Dalek? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    The Doctor (Trench Coat)
    The Doctor (Trench Coat)
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Other Science Fiction/Fantasy »  Heroes
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Heroes Views: 8909
     Wednesday, November 15 2006 @ 06:43 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

Thanks for the lowdown on Heroes... and I now believe I do recall seeing something that promoted the series at one time, be it a commercial or an upcoming attraction promo for the series, I can't recall now.

Is it a series that one really needs to see from the beginning? If one starts watching it now, will they be lost? Oh, and speaking of lost, I have never ever seen Lost... but with all the exposure to the hype associated with it, I have an idea of the comparison illustrated above.

Since it is on the Sci-Fi Channel, perhaps they will do a marathon of the series so one can catch up with it.

When I have sooooo many DVDs piled up still in their shrink wrap begging to be watched, it is hard to think about watching something else that eats into my limited time I have for watching television. But if it is good enough and worthy enough, I should check it out sometime.

Cheers,
    Louis

Yes, you do need to watch from the beginning. Sorry, but the development is key to understanding what's going on in this series. As to all those shrink wraped DVD's, need a reviewer Wink ? I have been hooked on time travel themed stories since I first read "The Time Machine" when I was about 6 and yes there were some stinkers but this, like Doctor Who, isn't one of them. Watch episodes 1 & 2 then make up your mind, I think you will thank us. Smile

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, November 15 2006 @ 06:58 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley] I have been hooked on time travel themed stories since I first read "The Time Machine"

If you still enjoy reading Time Travel SF as well as watching - check out my SF Books to read pages:-

here

Some of Time Travel stories covered:-

'Beyond the Barrier' by Damon Knight

'Timescape' by Gregory Benford

'The Time Ships' by Stephen Baxter

'A World Out of Time' by Larry Niven

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Wednesday, November 15 2006 @ 07:07 PM EST
    Is it a series that one really needs to see from the beginning? If one starts watching it now, will they be lost?

I'd have to agree that it probably is a show you don't want to come into halfway through. But luckily we live in the day of other means and all the episodes are indeed available if you know where to look. I highly recommend doing so. It's one of the very few shows where, when it ends I can't believe how quickly the time has gone.

The big hook is, early on Hiro, the Japanese guy who can bend time and space using the power of his mind, tried transporting himself from Japan to New York. He accidentally sent himself forward in time, too, and witnessed an atomic explosion leveling the city right before transporting back. Somehow this all ties in with the cheerleader who is indestructible (she can be damaged but immediately heals). Hence the "save the cheerleader, save the world" thing. There is also a serial killer going around killing people with powers and a shadow organization tracking people with powers for reasons unknown.

Twisted Evil

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, November 15 2006 @ 07:56 PM EST
    Hey Angry , I'm trying to get Louis hooked on watching without the Spoilers. There are plenty of sites out there for that with "Heroes". Well Linquel, I guess you are not alone, I find it facinating that no one has been picking it apart. As far as pure numbers go it is leaving Torchwood in the dust. I could give you my thoughts on ultimate direction it's going, but I think I see too well and I don't want to spoil it for you or Louis. Wink

Wednesday, November 15 2006 @ 08:48 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  daveac]

I've been reading all of Stephen Baxter's works lately. I've still got to read "Transcendent". Most of his stories deal with time travel... I would add "Pas*censored*ch" by Orson Scott Card (that's "Past" + "watch". Apparently the forum censors don't like that combination of letters! Wink ) to your lisdt.. Here I go, off topic again. Smile

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, November 15 2006 @ 09:09 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  rocko]
    [Quote  by:  daveac]

I've been reading all of Stephen Baxter's works lately. I've still got to read "Transcendent". Most of his stories deal with time travel... I would add "Pas*censored*ch" by Orson Scott Card (that's "Past" + "watch". Apparently the forum censors don't like that combination of letters! Wink ) to your lisdt.. Here I go, off topic again. Smile

LOL, oh well I think we drifted several post ago. So even though I havn't tried I couldn't call Owen (to drift further, into Torchwood) what he introduced himself as. Gotta love inteligent software. Wink

Wednesday, November 15 2006 @ 11:15 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley] Hey Angry , I'm trying to get Louis hooked on watching without the Spoilers. There are plenty of sites out there for that with "Heroes".

What did I spoil? That's the gist of the show. That's like saying I'm spoiling Doctor Who by saying he travels in time and space.

Neutral

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, November 15 2006 @ 11:31 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Linquel]

The big hook is, early on Hiro, the Japanese guy who can bend time and space using the power of his mind, tried transporting himself from Japan to New York. He accidentally sent himself forward in time, too, and witnessed an atomic explosion leveling the city right before transporting back.
    Twisted Evil

Bit of a 2 story arc spoiler. If you recall Hiro (and the viewer) don't know this for a while. Anyway, Louis, if you are listening to us babble on and, as is your nature, you are curious then catch the episodes and join this non-rant that isn't Torchwood. Wink

Thursday, November 16 2006 @ 07:43 AM EST

Thanks for the lowdown on Heroes... and I now believe I do recall seeing something that promoted the series at one time, be it a commercial or an upcoming attraction promo for the series, I can't recall now.

Wow. Really? Louis, if you just barely remember seeing some promotion for Heroes, I'd say your TV is broken.

This series has been hyped like no other show has in years that I can recall.

Almost as much as "The Iron Giant" was hyped up two years before it was released (but then NOT at all mentioned when it actually WAS released.)

But the good news is the show is worth the hype. It really is good. You learn something new every show, and you can see a direction and a plan.

However my worry is they're going to get to the major part of their plan too fast and then what? I guess we'll wait and see.

To me when the show ends I always find myself saying "already? I want it to go on!"

I'd say you should catch up before watching, but then again that's just me. It could be a bit confusing starting up in mid-stream, but you'll soon get the idea of what's going on.

Personally if I were you, I'd book a red-eye flight and see all those episodes before moving on to the live show.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Thursday, November 16 2006 @ 08:27 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter]

Wow. Really? Louis, if you just barely remember seeing some promotion for Heroes, I'd say your TV is broken.

This series has been hyped like no other show has in years that I can recall.

Almost as much as "The Iron Giant" was hyped up two years before it was released (but then NOT at all mentioned when it actually WAS released.)

But the good news is the show is worth the hype. It really is good. You learn something new every show, and you can see a direction and a plan.

However my worry is they're going to get to the major part of their plan too fast and then what? I guess we'll wait and see.

To me when the show ends I always find myself saying "already? I want it to go on!"

I'd say you should catch up before watching, but then again that's just me. It could be a bit confusing starting up in mid-stream, but you'll soon get the idea of what's going on.

Personally if I were you, I'd book a red-eye flight and see all those episodes before moving on to the live show.

Sean.

Wouldn't it be refreshing if a U.S. show told the story it wanted to tell and then ended? The original plan for Prison Break was either one or two seasons, but it was so successful it's still going.
    By the way, even further off topic, Iron Giant is remarkable.

Heath Holland

Thursday, November 16 2006 @ 08:24 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter]

Yeah, I don't won't network television at all... with the possible exception (if you count Fox) of The Simpsons and Family Guy. And when I do watch television programming, it is via TiVo, so I simply zap all the commercials unless something catches my eye while zipping through them.

It seems like at one point there was nothing but task-orientated reality shows on network television (and for that matter non-network television as well)... (I have to run now... I will try to finish this post later..)

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Friday, November 17 2006 @ 02:30 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis] But if it is good enough and worthy enough, I should check it out sometime.

Cheers,
    Louis

Well you might want to now - a poster (DenWatts) on Digital Spy gave this link - a rumor that Eccleston joins Heroes:-

here

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Friday, November 17 2006 @ 02:38 PM EST

Yeah, I saw some reports that Christopher Eccleston is going to be on Heroes... but I just assumed it was a guest role. Is he joining the cast (as a regular cast member)?

I was going to post it as a news story on our site, but so far, I haven't had the time.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Friday, November 17 2006 @ 08:47 PM EST
    at this point, it's just rumor and speculation. No one knows anything for certain yet.

Heath Holland

Friday, November 17 2006 @ 08:48 PM EST
    by the way, could someone e-mail me what happened in the last 5 minutes of the most recent episode of Heroes? I had a DVR malfunction.

Heath Holland

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed