The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    George and Miranda shortly before cyber-conversion
    George and Miranda shortly before cyber-conversion
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Other Science Fiction/Fantasy »  Heroes
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Heroes Views: 8804
     Saturday, November 18 2006 @ 01:27 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  hdutch007] at this point, it's just rumor and speculation. No one knows anything for certain yet.

From all the reports I have seen, it all stems from a comment made by Michael Ausiello of TV Guide. So I am only giving it this some sort of creditability being that it comes from TV Guide. I am not familiar with Mr. Ausiello myself, not having read TV Guide since TNG was still being produced.

I just find it odd if Eccleston is going to be a regular cast member appearing in each episode as I thought he was lined up (or at least seriously considered) for the lead role in the remake of The Prisoner series. I am assuming that Heroes is shot in North America, so I would imagine the commute for Eccleston would be difficult at best. So that is why I am guessing that if he is indeed going to be on Heroes it will be a one-off appearance or if he is reoccurring, it won't be on a weekly basis (more like John de Lancie playing Q).

Whatever the case may be, I will trust my friends here who watch Heroes to keep me posted on this matter.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, November 20 2006 @ 03:41 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    [Quote  by:  hdutch007] at this point, it's just rumor and speculation. No one knows anything for certain yet.

From all the reports I have seen, it all stems from a comment made by Michael Ausiello of TV Guide. So I am only giving it this some sort of creditability being that it comes from TV Guide. I am not familiar with Mr. Ausiello myself, not having read TV Guide since TNG was still being produced.

I read Ausiello each Wednesday, and when I'm on a really boring conference call. His information is about 75% accurate most times. The missing 25% usually has to do with something not happening exactly when he thinks its going to, or the difference between someone who is rumored to be on for an entire season who only ends up being on for an extended story arc.

So, I believe 100% that Eccleston will be on Heroes, but whether that is for a story arc or for the remainder of the season is still open for interpretation.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, November 23 2006 @ 02:01 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid]

So, I believe 100% that Eccleston will be on Heroes, but whether that is for a story arc or for the remainder of the season is still open for interpretation.

Looks like it's coming to BBC 2 here in the UK:-

here

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, November 27 2006 @ 06:08 PM EST
    For all those (like me) who haven't seen Heroes yet, the first six episodes will be shown marathon style Wednesday night, Nov 29th, on SciFi.

Question: Does SciFi keep it's annoying tradition of popups during this one too?

Ciotka Judi, The Polish Blonde

Tuesday, November 28 2006 @ 07:58 AM EST
    This involves last night's ep, so here is the obligatory spoiler space...

When watching the Six Months Ago episode of Heroes last night, did anyone else see Gabriel and think of Dr. Jon Osterman (aka Doctor Manhattan) from Alan Moore's Watchmen?

Big Grin

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, November 28 2006 @ 08:09 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Linquel] This involves last night's ep, so here is the obligatory spoiler space...

When watching the Six Months Ago episode of Heroes last night, did anyone else see Gabriel and think of Dr. Jon Osterman (aka Doctor Manhattan) from Alan Moore's Watchmen?

Big Grin

No, I didn't, but the show is full of comic references. Did you hear the bit where the grandfather gives the boy the laptop and says "go break the internet in half?"
    This was a line that Marvel Comics made that backfired on them because the hype didn't live up to what it was they were promising. I have to imagine it was a nudge at Marvel Comics, considering there are many comics professionals working on the show.

Heath Holland

Tuesday, November 28 2006 @ 08:10 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Satai Styx] For all those (like me) who haven't seen Heroes yet, the first six episodes will be shown marathon style Wednesday night, Nov 29th, on SciFi.

Question: Does SciFi keep it's annoying tradition of popups during this one too?

Louis, program your Tivo!

Heath Holland

Tuesday, November 28 2006 @ 10:29 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Satai Styx] For all those (like me) who haven't seen Heroes yet, the first six episodes will be shown marathon style Wednesday night, Nov 29th, on SciFi.

Traditionally, yes.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, November 28 2006 @ 10:35 PM EST
    (by the way, you all have free license to berate and ridicule me for what I'm about to say......)

SPOILERS!!!!

Watching Heroes last night, I decided I have finally become jaded to TV. When we met Syler and he talked about knowing he was special, different, etc., and how he always wished someone would tell him that his family wasn't really his family I thought of only one thing: Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince. Yup. I know. I've drank the JK Rowling kool-aide, sorry.

But Syler's descriptions of his feelings (and lets face it, borderline psychotic behavior) was just a paraphrase of Tom Riddle's first meeting with Dumbledore as a kid.

That, of course, led me to compare each story line with other books/stories I've read and movies I've seen. Don't get me wrong, still one of the best new shows on US TV and really one of the few I watch on network TV.

Has anyone else experienced this deja vu? Or perhaps I should just call it plagarism? (or is that too harsh?)

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, November 28 2006 @ 10:46 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid] (by the way, you all have free license to berate and ridicule me for what I'm about to say......)

SPOILERS!!!!

Watching Heroes last night, I decided I have finally become jaded to TV. When we met Syler and he talked about knowing he was special, different, etc., and how he always wished someone would tell him that his family wasn't really his family I thought of only one thing: Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince. Yup. I know. I've drank the JK Rowling kool-aide, sorry.

But Syler's descriptions of his feelings (and lets face it, borderline psychotic behavior) was just a paraphrase of Tom Riddle's first meeting with Dumbledore as a kid.

That, of course, led me to compare each story line with other books/stories I've read and movies I've seen. Don't get me wrong, still one of the best new shows on US TV and really one of the few I watch on network TV.

Has anyone else experienced this deja vu? Or perhaps I should just call it plagarism? (or is that too harsh?)

oh, it's not just you. Just about all media keeps going to the same well over and over and over.
    I assume you are refering to a bad guy's intentions to do something good, but by awful means.Tom Riddle was a product of his environment. It wasn't really his fault, was it? But what he did with his power, where he chose to take it, that's when he became a gray area villain, which is to say, a villain with motivations or history that we can sympathize with.
    When villains started getting motivation to be bad, writers tried to give them sympathetic, albeit psychotic, motivations that you could say "well, their intentions are in the right place, but they are going about it all wrong." In other words, making a hero gray with some reasonable motivation is more entertaining than just having a bad guy who wears black and kills puppies.
    But that's just modern mainstream storytelling as it comes these days. Rowling certainly wasn't the first to use the device. I am sure others can go back a lot farther than this, but Magneto was a gray area villain forty years ago in Marvel comics. I am sure classic literature is also full of the cliched bad guy.
    But yes, this trend is on many television shows, in many books, and in many films.
    It's like deja vu all over again.

Heath Holland

Wednesday, November 29 2006 @ 02:20 AM EST
    Louis,

Seriously.
    You.
    Need.
    To.
    Watch.

This thing is not like Smallville. Despite the above post which finds the most recent episode derivative of Harry Potter—a frankly odd comparison—this thing has no analogue in American TV history.

Heroes is the closest thing the US is ever going to have to the phenomenon of RTD Doctor Who in the UK. We've waited since the original Battlestar Galactica for a truly popular science fiction show to be on regular network TV. Now that it's here, you're going to wait?

This is watercooler science fiction. Jeph Loeb and Tom Kring and company have found a way to reinterpret comic books such that ordinary viewers who've never read a comic book in their lives are totally hooked. It is, in that way, just like RTD's interpretation of Doctor Who, or, to a lesser extent, the way that RDM has made BSG accessible to the kind of viewer that would've liked The West Wing.

Only it's way, way, wayyyyyyyyyyyy better.

It's like mainlining the essence of fantastic fiction.

I say this with love: your DVDs can wait.

SciFi is doing a marathon, starting on the 29th at 6pm EDT. Set your TIVO. Or just try Episode 1, available on iTunes.

Save the cheerleader. Save the world, man.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Tuesday, December 05 2006 @ 11:20 AM EST
    By the way, every episode (except the first) is today available online at NBC.com for viewing. (The pilot is marked as "coming soon". One scene is the subject of a current lawsuit, forcing its removal. The edited version, which appears on iTunes, will eventually be put in replacement at NBC.com.)

The quality's fairly low, but for those just wishing to "dip their toe in", it's a free way to see whether or not the show is to their liking.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Tuesday, December 05 2006 @ 11:44 AM EST
    In other, non-Doctor Who-related Heroes news, actor George Takei will, sometime in the back half of season 1, make his way back to NBC prime time for the first time since Star Trek's initial run. He will, appropriately enough, be playing the father of Star Trek fan, Hiro.

Tuesday, December 05 2006 @ 01:01 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] In other, non-Doctor Who-related Heroes news, actor George Takei will, sometime in the back half of season 1, make his way back to NBC prime time for the first time since Star Trek's initial run. He will, appropriately enough, be playing the father of Star Trek fan, Hiro.

That may push RTD over the edge, a gay man being the Time/Space Traveler's dad. Jack be warned, you are going to need a crib Eek! .

Please let me be wrong.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Tuesday, December 05 2006 @ 01:23 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] By the way, every episode (except the first) is today available online at NBC.com for viewing. (The pilot is marked as "coming soon". One scene is the subject of a current lawsuit, forcing its removal. The edited version, which appears on iTunes, will eventually be put in replacement at NBC.com.)

This is unfortunate. Do you have any more information on which scene is the one, and if it will not be in the eventual DVD release?

That last episode had me glued. My local NBC station does a "your time and temp" thing and it came on at 8:45p. I couldn't believe that 45 minutes had passed so quickly. It's going to be a long wait until Jan 22. I may have to just get all the episodes to date through other means so I can watch them again. I haven't been saving my videorecordings.

-L

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored