The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    TARDIS
    TARDIS
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Other Science Fiction/Fantasy »  Heroes
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Heroes Views: 8645
     Tuesday, December 05 2006 @ 01:30 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Linquel]
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] By the way, every episode (except the first) is today available online at NBC.com for viewing. (The pilot is marked as "coming soon". One scene is the subject of a current lawsuit, forcing its removal. The edited version, which appears on iTunes, will eventually be put in replacement at NBC.com.)

This is unfortunate. Do you have any more information on which scene is the one, and if it will not be in the eventual DVD release?

That last episode had me glued. My local NBC station does a "your time and temp" thing and it came on at 8:45p. I couldn't believe that 45 minutes had passed so quickly. It's going to be a long wait until Jan 22. I may have to just get all the episodes to date through other means so I can watch them again. I haven't been saving my videorecordings.

-L

Where Claire mangles her hand in the Garbage Disposal, though I don't remember seeing a brand name. The company that manufactures that line is suing beacuse of the safety feaures that are on (Just about all modern) sink Garbage Disposals these days make this incident virtually impossible. So as ever, other means will prevail Wink .

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, December 05 2006 @ 11:08 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley]
    [Quote  by:  Linquel]
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] By the way, every episode (except the first) is today available online at NBC.com for viewing. (The pilot is marked as "coming soon". One scene is the subject of a current lawsuit, forcing its removal. The edited version, which appears on iTunes, will eventually be put in replacement at NBC.com.)

This is unfortunate. Do you have any more information on which scene is the one, and if it will not be in the eventual DVD release?

That last episode had me glued. My local NBC station does a "your time and temp" thing and it came on at 8:45p. I couldn't believe that 45 minutes had passed so quickly. It's going to be a long wait until Jan 22. I may have to just get all the episodes to date through other means so I can watch them again. I haven't been saving my videorecordings.

-L

Where Claire mangles her hand in the Garbage Disposal, though I don't remember seeing a brand name. The company that manufactures that line is suing beacuse of the safety feaures that are on (Just about all modern) sink Garbage Disposals these days make this incident virtually impossible. So as ever, other means will prevail Wink .
    The In-Sink-Erator®.

Oddly, I must've downloaded my iTunes copy before the lawsuit was filed, cause they cut back squarely to the brand name at least 3 times.

This is an unfortunate lawsuit, and a really basic error on the part of the producers. I don't know what other coverage they have of the scene, but I'm not altogether sure how they could re-edit it so it retains the same intent. If she'd intentionally put her hand in the disposal, then that'd be simple. But she's not actually trying to do herself damage here. She drops her ring into the sink and fishes after it without thinking of the possible risk. You need a shot of the ring falling into the drain, yet avoiding showing the name stamped all around the lip of the drain. I honestly don't know how they're going to do that without actually filming something new.

The scene plays so well as it is, real=life safety features notwithstanding, they really need to find a way to keep it intact, even if it means hand-painting out the brand name.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Tuesday, December 05 2006 @ 11:39 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]The In-Sink-Erator®

Thank you DarthSkeptical, I didn't want to mangle the name. I'm sure its in my copy
    also but it wasn't a glaring thing to me, on first watching (pre-lawsuit). I am also hopeful
    that they find a way to keep the scene and are able to use Episode 1 (completly) again.
    Not to mention a quick setlement to allow DVD sales Wink .

Wednesday, December 06 2006 @ 12:03 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley]
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]The In-Sink-Erator®

Thank you DarthSkeptical, I didn't want to mangle the name. I'm sure its in my copy
    also but it wasn't a glaring thing to me, on first watching (pre-lawsuit). I am also hopeful
    that they find a way to keep the scene and are able to use Episode 1 (completly) again.
    Not to mention a quick setlement to allow DVD sales Wink .
    I can't see how they could possibly settle the lawsuit and keep the scene intact as is. From what the manufacturer is saying publicly, theyr'e mad as hell, and NBC/UNIVERSAL have already done something to accommodate them on rebroadcast. Now I'm really curious what that "something" is, but not curious enough to bother taping it when it comes on SciFi. All I know is it must not be a totally agreeable fix to NBC, because otherwise they'd have just slapped the new version of the episode up on the Heroes website, and they've not done that yet.

Interestingly, you don't hear DC crying "foul" because of that second graphic novel. In it, Hiro offered up an oragami-folded copy of the cover of Action Comics #1 to his grandfather's spirit at the Hiroshima memorial. Course, you don't quite see Superman's big red "S", either. Still, they use the name "Action Comics", which itself is trademarked. Guess DC is either giving the project a wide berth because of projected positive impact on comic book sales or because of Jeph Loeb's involvement with Heroes. Cause otherwise, you'd think they'd have a tiny problem with offering up their symbol of American virtue to the site of an American-created holocaust.

Or, maybe, they just appreciate emotionally satisfying writing when they see it a little bit better than the humorless garbage disposal guys.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Wednesday, December 06 2006 @ 08:36 AM EST
    Because Eccleston is joining the cast in some form, I decided to try it out. The first episode I watched kept flashing back to 6 months ago. Was this a good episode, as far as the show goes? I think I understand the back story, but it seemed like a whole lot of nothing going on to me. I will try to hang on for a couple in hopes that it picks up.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, December 07 2006 @ 06:05 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  highlander357] Because Eccleston is joining the cast in some form, I decided to try it out. The first episode I watched kept flashing back to 6 months ago. Was this a good episode, as far as the show goes? I think I understand the back story, but it seemed like a whole lot of nothing going on to me. I will try to hang on for a couple in hopes that it picks up.
    This is a show you need to watch from the beginning, sequentially. You will get much less out of it if you watch it in a random order. In fact, the show you're describing was a big "payoff" episode; an origin tale for the characters in many ways. You've watched what was chronologically the first show, but in story terms, almost the half-season finale.

Thursday, December 07 2006 @ 06:16 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] In other, non-Doctor Who-related Heroes news, actor George Takei will, sometime in the back half of season 1, make his way back to NBC prime time for the first time since Star Trek's initial run. He will, appropriately enough, be playing the father of Star Trek fan, Hiro.

Just to give a bit more to this, here's the text from an interview at comicbookresources.com, in which the casting process was discussed with writer/producers Joe Pokaski and Aron Coleite:

[Quote  by: comicbookresources.com, from an interview on 27 November 2006]
    In the past week we've learned that George Takei will play the role of Hiro Nakamura's Father in an upcoming episode and that Christopher Eccleston ("Dr. Who") will be featured in an episode this January. First, can you tell us in which episodes we should expect to see these actors?

Mr. Nakamura will first show up at the end of Episode 13. And the character will appear again in at least Episode 14.

As for Mr. Eccleston, he'll be here soon. You just might not be able to pick him out of the crowd!

Secondly, this is just more interesting casting taking place in the show. We've had Richard Roundtree on the show, who played Shaft, the most well known character during the Blaxploitation era of film making. Now we have members of two of the greatest sci-fi franchises of all time. Is this a deliberate move on the part of the show to salute great genre shows/films of the past and present? Should we expect more of this in the future?

We use a simple formula when casting: Best actor gets role.

Roundtree rocked it, he gets the role.

Christopher Eccelston was perfect for the role we were looking for (we don't want to give too much away on this.)

As far as Mr Takei, it was serendipity. We had joked about his playing Hiro's Father from the get-go, but it wasn't until he showed up in a casting session and knocked [creator/showrunner] Tim [Kring]'s socks off that the role was his. Like Masi before him, he translated from English to Japanese on the spot, he got what we were trying to get across with the character on his first read. George Takei exceeded our highest expectations. We think he'll do the same for the entire audience.

Tuesday, December 12 2006 @ 02:46 PM EST
    I don't remember Richard Roundtree on the show.... which ep was he in?

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, December 12 2006 @ 03:33 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid] I don't remember Richard Roundtree on the show.... which ep was he in?

He was in at least two episodes including the first one. He plays the dying man that Peter Petrelli is a hospice nurse for. He is the father of Simone.

Mike

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, December 12 2006 @ 06:19 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  MikeD]
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid] I don't remember Richard Roundtree on the show.... which ep was he in?

He was in at least two episodes including the first one. He plays the dying man that Peter Petrelli is a hospice nurse for. He is the father of Simone.

Mike

the jazz musician! Wow. I didn't even recognize him.... thanks!

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 02 2007 @ 04:13 PM EST
    Some more info about Eccleston's character (well, a hint anyway) in this week's SciFi Weekly..

Did you say "74,384,338 to 1 against"? That's my lucky number!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, January 22 2007 @ 10:30 PM EST
    well, tonight was the night. Eccleston made his Heroes debut. From the looks of it, he's going to be a very important character. I have to say, it's so good to have him on my television again!

Heath Holland

Monday, January 22 2007 @ 10:57 PM EST

Aye, "appearence" made. Don't know anything about the character except for what we "saw" and what he said. Looking forward to seeing him act with hair Wink . Welcome to the states Eccels and to a show that might just knock 24 off of its complacent backside.

Cheers,
    Mike M.

Monday, January 22 2007 @ 11:33 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  hdutch007] well, tonight was the night. Eccleston made his Heroes debut. From the looks of it, he's going to be a very important character. I have to say, it's so good to have him on my television again!

I almost didn't recognize him, what with the longer hair (hiding the ears) and the beard and it looks like he put on a little weight. But it was good to see him again. I'm looking forward to next week.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 23 2007 @ 12:59 AM EST
    Can't say that I'm a rabid fan of the show, but I do catch it when I can. It isn't hard to keep up with even if you miss a few episodes. It seems to progress rather slowly.

All in all, its worth watching when you have a moment.

"Elemental, my dear Benton." The Doctor to Sgt. Benton (The Daemons)

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored