The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Podshocker's after Who at the Cavern 3
    Podshocker's after Who at the Cavern 3
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Other Science Fiction/Fantasy »  Heroes
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Heroes Views: 8984
     Tuesday, January 23 2007 @ 02:19 AM EST
    Lovely mid-season premiere. The show's still going in a great direction—and Eccles' role is quite different in dimension and feel than what I had expected. I'm so glad the character is going to have a multi-episode life. Also, quite a novel way to "reveal" invisibility. I guess next week we get as close to a Star Trek/Doctor Who crossover as we're gonna get—bring on George Takei!

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, January 23 2007 @ 02:34 AM EST

"Oh,... my!"

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Tuesday, January 23 2007 @ 07:03 AM EST
    Yeah, with all that hair he was looking far more the psycho, more like he was in "28 Days Later".

(*Spoilers*)

I liked how they handled the invisibility, but it doesn't yet explain how Peter saw him. It could be that Eccles' power includes being able to see other invisibles. That would make sense - since Peter grabbed his power.

No one saw them fighting because they were both invisible. And they could both see each other.

I liked that line. "You can see me? No one sees me!"

Love this show. I hope they don't squander the wonderful feel of it the way Lost did. (For me at least.)

About Hiro and his sword. Did we actually see the sword Hiro was carrying in an earlier episode?

We saw the hilt. Who's to say he wasn't carrying the fake? If it focused his power it could easily be the fake he was carrying when he teleported back to the past to warn Peter about the Cheerleader.

Great show. Did I say that yet?

Love it.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Tuesday, January 23 2007 @ 08:06 AM EST
    Here are a few more thoughts after reading the last few posts...

[spoilers]
    Regarding Chris Eccle's power, he must be able to make things he touches invisible, too. How would a person not see their wallet floating in mid-air and their money being pulled out of it. Maybe as soon as he makes contact with something, it turns invisible, too. Has it been established that Peter has to touch someone to get their power? Or can he just be near them? If the latter, maybe he was near enough to C.E. to get his powers and that includes the ability to see another invisible person.

Regarding Hiro's sword, I can't remember if we've ever actually seen it removed from its scabbard.

[more spoilers]
    When Hiro raised the sheathed sword to the museum dinosaur, was that supposed to be the image that Isaac painted? Was the sword sheathed or unsheathed in the painting?

-L

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 23 2007 @ 09:35 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Linquel] Here are a few more thoughts after reading the last few posts...

[spoilers]
    Regarding Chris Eccle's power, he must be able to make things he touches invisible, too. How would a person not see their wallet floating in mid-air and their money being pulled out of it. Maybe as soon as he makes contact with something, it turns invisible, too. Has it been established that Peter has to touch someone to get their power? Or can he just be near them? If the latter, maybe he was near enough to C.E. to get his powers and that includes the ability to see another invisible person.

Regarding Hiro's sword, I can't remember if we've ever actually seen it removed from its scabbard.

[more spoilers]
    When Hiro raised the sheathed sword to the museum dinosaur, was that supposed to be the image that Isaac painted? Was the sword sheathed or unsheathed in the painting?

-L
    first, Peter only has to be near the person he is mimicking the powers of. Thus he was near Chris E. so he had his powers. Hiro's sword is unsheathed in the painting. I have a feeling that whether or not he faces the dinosaur on the show will depend on the budget. I kind of doubt it. I imagine this is all we're going to get (him in the museum).

Heath Holland

Tuesday, January 23 2007 @ 01:40 PM EST
    Note, too, how the show is not only borrowing Doctor Who actors but Doctor Who (well, perhaps ultimately, Smallville) brand leveraging ideas. The official website and mobile phone additional content is a neat spin on TARDISodes and the Who fake websites. The newest content, the 360 stuff, is really very nifty.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Tuesday, January 23 2007 @ 03:07 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Linquel] Regarding Hiro's sword, I can't remember if we've ever actually seen it removed from its scabbard.

[more spoilers]
    -L

you know the drill, highlight the text:
    Isaac's picture did show a "glint" off the sword. So I just assumed it was the actual sword and not the scabbard. Couldn't find a picture online.

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 23 2007 @ 07:13 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] The official website and mobile phone additional content is a neat spin on TARDISodes and the Who fake websites. The newest content, the 360 stuff, is really very nifty.

I just went to the NBC website but I couldn't figure out how to pull up the 360 content. Is it only available for a short time after the show ends? That would be lame.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 23 2007 @ 08:51 PM EST
    Are you guys aware of Primatechpaper.com? It's a fake website to emulate the front corporation that Claire's father works for. If you go to the JOBS section, and enter the code MT36, you will be prompted to fill in some fields that are...well, interesting, to say the least. Then after that is done, you get a strange confirmation e-mail with the promise of more info later. This is not to mention the 1-800 number that you can call.
    Don't forget that even before Doctor Who did this, I think Lost did the fake website thing with the Airplane company's website.

Heath Holland

Wednesday, January 24 2007 @ 10:49 AM EST
    I'm happy to say that I did notice this and called the number as soon as I saw it. I informed one of my friends (the one that catches every single little trivia bit), everyone has one of those friends. I was happy because he never even thought to call the number, let alone visit the website.

As it is, I may have a new job soon guys. I signed up! LOL

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, January 29 2007 @ 10:17 PM EST
    In tonight's episode we get tons of Eccleston goodness, plus the Heroes premiere (albeit silent) of Mr. Sulu himself, the very one and only George Takei. Man, I love this show. It's so good to see these people in one place, on a quality show.

Heath Holland

Monday, January 29 2007 @ 10:49 PM EST

And of course they had to squeeze in the word "Fantastic" for Eccels. Things are moving in a good direction, I just wish it would move a bit faster Wink . Not a complaint, mind you it is the best thing to be produced in North America for TV in quite a long time. I'm sure RTD is watching with bated breath to see George Takei's relationship with his Time Traveling son. Eek!

Mike M.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Tuesday, January 30 2007 @ 07:54 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  hdutch007] In tonight's episode we get tons of Eccleston goodness, plus the Heroes premiere (albeit silent) of Mr. Sulu himself, the very one and only George Takei. Man, I love this show. It's so good to see these people in one place, on a quality show.

Frown

I set my VCR, but I didn't realize the cable coming out of my wall had been bumped and the picture was a mess. Luckily, those red-eyes have domestic flights, too. I should hopefully be watching it tonight or tomorrow.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, February 12 2007 @ 12:15 PM EST
    OK - drawing this topic back into the main list because new episode tonight and I can honestly say that Claude as a character is quickly becoming the best thing about an already stupendous show. Every podcast I listen to about the show (and I would really suggest an affiliation with thetenthwonder.com) comments incessantly on how wonderful the dynamic between Peter and Claude (aka Milo and Eccles) is for the show, how stupendous the acting and how engaging a storyline. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy to hear American audiences embrace Eccles in a role outside DW.

I'm hoping that everyone who loves DW pays head to this little show. (note for UK readers if it hasn't already been posted somewhere) the show starts in UK on the Sci-Fi Channel on Monday 19th at 10pm and it can be watched online here for free although you'll have to wait 11 episodes until it stars our beloved number nine)

*********************************************************** "Rubber Soles - Swear by them!"

Monday, February 26 2007 @ 03:48 AM EST
    Ok - bounced to the end of this thread as I started to find spoilers I didn't want to be tempted to read.

I don't tend to watch the Sci-Fi channel as in the UK it generally very naff and a lot of repeats! However, they started showing this a couple of weeks ago and browsing the TV Guide I noticed they were re-showing episodes 1 and 2 over the weekend with 3 being aired tonight, so I though considering the rave reviews it's getting in several forums I hangout in I'd give it a go.

I found the first episodes a little slow but I forgave it as it was introducing the characters etc. However - after episode 2, which I found much better, I am hooked! I am slightly tempted to try and find all the episodes via 'other means' but I think it maybe a show I'll enjoy more watching in as it's aired!

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored