The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Snow Dalek in the Tardis!
    Snow Dalek in the Tardis!
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Other Science Fiction/Fantasy »  Battlestar Galactica
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Battlestar Galactica Views: 3757
     Thursday, April 27 2006 @ 08:03 AM EDT
    Did anyone see the news that SciFi channel is going ahead with a prequel series called Caprica, chronicling the rise of the Cylons? I read it today at aintitcool.com. I wonder what Ken thinks about this, as he feels (and I agree) that they go to the same well too often. We just finished the second season.

Heath Holland
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Thursday, April 27 2006 @ 11:20 AM EDT
    Just read about the prequel... not sure I like the idea yet. check it out yourself:

scifi wire

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, April 27 2006 @ 04:17 PM EDT
    (spoiler warning for anyone who has not seen the second season finale episode)

I didn't know anything about this until now myself. I am a bit skeptical, I must admit. We don't even have Battlestar Galactica any more... because them being trapped on a planet without the Galactica... is not Battlestar Galactica if that is what the series has become when it returns this October.

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Thursday, April 27 2006 @ 05:05 PM EDT

Louis,

Hey, this seems like Battlestar Galactica. Battlestar Galactica 1980 to be precise... Evil

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Thursday, April 27 2006 @ 05:32 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    Louis,

Hey, this seems like Battlestar Galactica. Battlestar Galactica 1980 to be precise... Evil

Taras

Yeah, I believe I may have made a reference earlier in this thread comparing it to Galactica 1980 as well (or perhaps in another thread/forum or in a email on this subject).

Seems like history is doomed to repeat itself.

Cheers,
    Louis

Sunday, May 21 2006 @ 01:28 AM EDT
    Just saw this and thought some of you might like to know.... no spoilers really....

"Callis: New BSG To Be 'Far Darker'
    "This Is Remorseless And Relentless," Actor Said

(May 09 2006) - If you thought the first two seasons of "Battlestar Galactica" were dark and brooding, well, then you haven't seen nothin' yet, series star James Callis told SciFi Wire.

"In the upcoming episodes, the simplest way to explain what happens is that the wheat is separated from the chaff," Callis said in an interview at this month's Saturn Awards in Universal City, Calif. "I'm not actually sure at this moment which I belong to, which bothers me, whether I'm the wheat or the chaff. All I know is that we are necessarily separated."

Callis plays Gaius Baltar, the new Colonial president and maybe Cylon-conspirator.

Callis said comparisons of the coming third season, in which the humans struggle under Cylon domination, to France under the Nazi occupation of World War II are apt.

"And the first few scripts of this particular season are phenomenal," he said, "and far darker and more gritty and more worrying than anything that you have seen before. I really am not just saying that. I remember just reading it going, 'My God almighty, this is remorseless and relentless.' And as such should be very gripping television. Even though it's very, I think, the word is dystopic."

The third season of "Battlestar Galactica" gets underway with new episodes in October on the SciFi Channel. - Article by Scott Nance "

That Is Not Dead Which Can Eternal Lie, And With Strange Aeons Even Death May Die.

Monday, May 22 2006 @ 11:25 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  WarrenPeace]
    The third season of "Battlestar Galactica" gets underway with new episodes in October on the SciFi Channel. - Article by Scott Nance "

It's the October start I'm not thrilled with. We always look forward to the start of SciFi Friday in July and January. I've always really liked the split season: when everything on network TV is in reruns, I've got the SciFi channel to turn to!

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 02 2007 @ 05:20 PM EST
    oooooohhhhhh trust me.. galactica 1980 this is definatley not

even in the uk, we still have managed to see the first part of season 3 via some downloading

season 3 airs next week, jan 11th

and yes, im gonna watch it all on my 50' plasma in glorious hd

i really cant wait to see the vipers launching from the rapidly plummeting galactica, and the demise of the pegasus

this programme redifines sci-fi and i wont spoil it for you any more - watch it, enjoy it, think about it... its closer to the bone than people give it credit for...

still my number 1 programme ( dr who and torchwood run close ) but this hits the spot week in week out

sorry if u dont agree, but were all entitled to our opinion, lots wrote torchwood off, and its was slow off the mark, but gets my vote for quality tv, and david tennant is, and possibly always will be the doctor

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 02 2007 @ 05:39 PM EST
    Yep, I just took it as read that everyone watching DW was watching BSG. I wouldn't say it was never disappointing, though. A lot of the back half of season 2 (or season 2.5, if ya will) was not quite at the same level as it had been up to that point, but generally it doesn't disappoint. It's the genuine benchmark for quality SF in the 21st century. I think that the recent Hugo win for "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances" wasn't particularly because those episodes were genuinely better-written than "Pegasus", but just that the Hugo voters were generally voting for the re-popularization of Doctor Who. (They were also comparing unequal things; a finished story versus just one part of a whole.)

Never quite got some people's fear of the whole New Caprica arc. Was it ever a serious proposition that BSG was going to be a planet-based drama? It never felt like we were going to be there for very long, to me.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Tuesday, January 02 2007 @ 05:53 PM EST
    i think the new caprica arc was designed to make ppl want more, ask questions
    i mean there were a lot of questions to be answered

like just how many kebabs and pizzas did appollo munch on?
    and why?

mind u, after what starbuck did to him ( and we'll fid out what that was in 'unfinished business' i think most men would have done the same

theres so many avenues to explore after the evacuation, and its ultimate consequence.. the unnessecary loss of life

revenge, deceit, lies, broken promises, murder, sacrifice... its all there, and it doesnt fail to deliver

theyll be off new caprica by the end of episode 3.. and im still wondering how many times kara is gonna kill leoben before he finally gets the message

does anyone know if its true that kara thrace is gonna get killed off, apparantly its in the episode 15..'dirty hands'?
    according to viper station.. katee sackhoff was quoted as shoutin at fans 'im great.. just filmed MY last scenes'
    really hope this doesnt happen... shes fantastic!

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, January 03 2007 @ 11:39 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  helo_75] does anyone know if its true that kara thrace is gonna get killed off, apparantly its in the episode 15..'dirty hands'?
    according to viper station.. katee sackhoff was quoted as shoutin at fans 'im great.. just filmed MY last scenes'
    really hope this doesnt happen... shes fantastic!

This was posted on www.tvguide.com under Ask Ausiello:

Question: First off, happy new year, Michael! I share my birthday with Masi Oka, but I have no strange abilities or special gifts. However, you do: You have the power to make me feel better in a split second by confirming that Katee Sackhoff isn't getting killed off Battlestar Galactica.— Clara
    Ausiello: My powers are apparently failing me, because all signs are pointing to Starbuck's imminent demise. In a radio interview with Portland's KUFO-FM last month, Katee all but confirmed that she's leaving the show later this season — although she stopped short of saying Starbuck dies. If you ask me, this whole thing carries with it the stench of a highly coordinated foiler. I mean, Ron Moore would be out of his frakkin' mind to deep-six Starbuck, right?

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, March 26 2007 @ 02:11 AM EDT
    Anyone see the season finale tonight? Of the season finale's this one's the most thought-provoking. A part of me thinks they've maybe jumped the shark here (or at least could've used a 90 minute finale like last year). A part of me is still trying to pick my jaw up off the floor. But all of me thinks that the ambiguous "returns in 2008" is an awfully, awfully long time to wait. Ya think it's that far away because of all this Caprica business? Or because they want to generate a lot of anticipation and thereby try to shore up the show's flagging ratings? Even if it debuts in January 2008, that'll still be the longest season hiatus to date, won't it?

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Monday, March 26 2007 @ 03:15 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] ... A part of me is still trying to pick my jaw up off the floor...

Unfortunately, the Sci-Fi Channel had SPOILED it for me ahead of time. In one of their emails they sent out promoting the season finale, they gave away too much. So I was able to conclude what was going to be revealed at the end of this episode well in advance. So my jaw was firmly in place.

Yes, it is a very long gap between seasons... and I would venture to say you are correct that this is probably the longest stretch of time between seasons for BSG. This too was not a surprise to me as I already heard that season 4 would be in 2008. It may have been through producer's Ronald D. Moore commentary podcast. I am not sure. Though the gap is still shorter than the gap between series 1 and 2 of Torchwood, assuming BSG Season 4 begins in January 2008.

I am still not sure what is going on with the proposed Caprica series... and from what I gathered on the commentary podcast, neither is the producer... or perhaps he was just being deliberately aloof about it when he said something to the effect that it "may or may not happen" (I may be paraphrasing here).

I would like to say more about the season finale, but I can't without revealing spoilers.

Cheers,
    Louis

Monday, March 26 2007 @ 10:57 AM EDT
    Louis not revealin spoilers, hmmm, I-Con must have really wiped him out! Smile

I am getting the weird feeling of Battlestar Galactica 1980 again... They find Earth... but have to cut the budget—arrrrggghhhhhhh! I had all but buried that memory in the recesses of my brain and now it has moved to the front. Cold sweats...

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Monday, March 26 2007 @ 11:46 AM EDT
    I'm rewatching it now. 1 word: FRAK!
    (I just wanted to use "Frak" in a post. I wonder if I can do it at work...)

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored