The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    George and Miranda shortly before cyber-conversion
    George and Miranda shortly before cyber-conversion
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who: Podshock »  Podshock #70
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Podshock #70 Views: 1404
     Saturday, March 17 2007 @ 08:19 PM EDT
    Another great Podshock!

As to my feedback on the HydeFundRaisers Event there are some pictures here:-
    EDIT - including a bigger picture of the 'prize'

here

As to the 'Dr Who' item mentioned - that is up for offers - I'll wait a day or to to see if James starts a thread about it.

One other thing - I was surprised how much of my Manchester accent seemed to come across - I didn't think I had an accent at all!

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, March 17 2007 @ 08:31 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac] Another great Podshock!

As to my feedback on the HydeFundRaisers Event there are some pictures here:-
    EDIT - including a bigger picture of the 'prize'

here

As to the 'Dr Who' item mentioned - that is up for offers - I'll wait a day or to to see if James starts a thread about it.

One other thing - I was surprised how much of my Manchester accent seemed to come across - I didn't think I had an accent at all!

Cheers, daveac

Thanks...

And thanks for the feedback and the offer to raise money by offering those collectables as an incentive.

As for James, he may not be around this weekend to start the thread he mentioned in the podcast. So perhaps you or I should do it.

As for the accent, it sounded fine. Don't worry, I didn't think I had a New York accent either. Others tell me otherwise though. LOL

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Saturday, March 17 2007 @ 08:34 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

As for James, he may not be around this weekend to start the thread he mentioned in the podcast. So perhaps you or I should do it.

Cheers,
    Louis

OK Louis - I'll do it - you do enough!

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Saturday, March 17 2007 @ 08:50 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]

OK Louis - I'll do it - you do enough!

Cheers, daveac

Done it with the 'Support this Forum' thread

Let me know Louis if the 'text' of it is OK.

Cheers, daveac

Saturday, March 17 2007 @ 09:09 PM EDT

It looks great. Thanks so much.

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to do it myself. I've been juggling and multitasking as much as I can today... and the weather didn't help either as I spent the better part of the afternoon with a steel shovel breaking up a layer of ice, a few inches thick from the walkways.

Thanks again mate.

Cheers,
    Louis

[Edit] changed "whether" to "weather" (I really should get some sleep sometime). LOL.

Saturday, March 17 2007 @ 10:06 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis] and the whether didn't help either as I spent the better part of the afternoon with a steel shovel breaking up a layer of ice, a few inches thick from the walkways.

I did my ice-breaking between 4 and 5 in the morning after a couple of hours in my living roo… uhmm, local watering hole. An ice hoe really helps, as you can apply all your strength to a smaller area, increasing the chances of cracking the ice on the first go.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Tuesday, March 20 2007 @ 07:26 AM EDT
    Ahhhhh, it's this time of year that I'm so happy to be in Florida. Great Podshock, guys, and daveac it was great to hear what you sound like! I'm still fairly new around here, and I feel like I'm sharing the forum with such celebrities! Mr. Green

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, March 20 2007 @ 09:43 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Jeneral] and daveac it was great to hear what you sound like!

Well hopefully at least James could tell what I was saying.

I tried recording it - speaking more slowly - but it sounded like a durge - would have put everyone to sleep.

I believe others have the same problem with some British accents - this from a Digital Spy item:-

'Denise Van Outen has been ordered to take elocution lessons by the bosses of her new US TV show.

The producers of Grease, a US reality show aiming to find a new cast for a Broadway revival of the popular musical, are concerned that the American audience has failed to warm to the former Big Breakfast presenter.

They are particularly concerned that the audience finds it difficult to understand her Basildon twang. '

Cheers, daveac

Tuesday, March 20 2007 @ 07:40 PM EDT
    Does anyone know how Mike recorded that news bit about Torchwood in Canada at the beginning of the show? It sounded kind of strange, and I was wondering if that was due to anything in particular (i.e. did he leave it via the Odeo recorder or something?)

-L

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, March 20 2007 @ 09:16 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Linquel] Does anyone know how Mike recorded that news bit about Torchwood in Canada at the beginning of the show? It sounded kind of strange, and I was wondering if that was due to anything in particular (i.e. did he leave it via the Odeo recorder or something?)

-L

I left a voicemail for Podshock via the Skype account. I'm not quite sure why it sounded so distorted since it's the same method and same microphone that I always use for the show. Perhaps there was a just a bad connection at that minute.

Mike

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, March 21 2007 @ 12:30 AM EDT

Actually, I need to apologize for the poor quality of Mike's report in this episode. When I originally recorded it, I had assumed it may have been one of those Skype things... because generally Mike's audio is better.

But when I started reviewing some of the other voice mail messages left on Skype that I recorded after Mike's voice mail, I noticed the same problem with them. I am recording them the same way I had been, so I was unsure what the issue may have been. I then realized that I had updated the Skype application recently and perhaps it is a change in Skype going to the latest version.

Long-story short is that for some reason now when playing back recorded messages in Skype, the Skype application is keeping my connected mic "live" whereas in the past, it may have automatically muted it previously (unsure). So now, when I record the saved Skype messages, not only am I recording the voice mail that was left, but all other sounds that my mic may be picking up at the time.

I have configured my recording software allowing for this now and thus it will not record my local mic audio when I record Skype voice mail. So I was able remedy this and re-record all the other Skype voice mail messages over again without picking up any local noise or echo. But this was all discovered after this podcast episode already went out, so unfortunately, Mike's recorded message was still recorded in the way that caused an echo and may have picked up other 'room noise' locally here when it was recorded.

Anyway, now that I am aware of it, it shouldn't happen again. My apologies to Mike and our listeners for the poor quality of that segment in this episode. I didn't realize the problem was on my end as it had not happened previously.

Cheers,
    Louis

Wednesday, March 21 2007 @ 06:23 PM EDT
    Just finished listening to Podshock 70, another excellent show - and Dave, I didn't think you sound that 'Manc' at all. I guess it's because I used to work with a guy from mosside who had one of the strongest accents I've ever heard.

Just one bit of feedback for Louis. When giving out URL's of UK websites the 'co' is normally said 'co' (as in the abbreviation for company) rather than c and o, just like you'd say dot com rather than dot c o m.

I hope that makes sense? I just can't help cringing a little tiny bit when you say www dot doctorwho dot 'see ohh' dot uk rather than dot 'co' dot 'uk'.

I blame James myself for not correcting you; I also hope you don't take offence to this as it's not intended! Big Grin

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, March 21 2007 @ 06:33 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  capricorn1] Just finished listening to Podshock 70, another excellent show - and Dave, I didn't think you sound that 'Manc' at all.

I blame James myself for not correcting you; I also hope you don't take offence to this as it's not intended! Big Grin

Thanks for that!

And James - yeh! I thought he was for the push Evil

Cheers, daveac

Wednesday, March 21 2007 @ 08:35 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac] As to the 'Dr Who' item mentioned - that is up for offers - I'll wait a day or to to see if James starts a thread about it.

I finished listening to the podshock. That's a great idea you had, Dave. It got me to thinking. I have an extra copy of the hardcover Doctor Who - A Celebration: Two Decades Through Time and Space by Peter Haining in very good condition. After your giveaway finishes up, I'd be willing to offer it up the same way if people think it might be worth something. Just a thought.

-L

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, March 22 2007 @ 02:41 AM EDT

Oh, by the way, Dave, you sound much younger than you look in your avatar...

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored