The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Into the Dalek? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Into the Dalek' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 31st
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Deep Breath' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 24th
  • BBC One 'Deep Breath' Promotional Advertisement Video [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 306 - Interviews with Ian Marter and Sarah Sutton
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Dapol TARDIS playset diorama
    Dapol TARDIS playset diorama
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who: Podshock »  LIVE Podcast
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    LIVE Podcast Views: 39176
     Wednesday, July 18 2007 @ 05:54 PM EDT

Just a request to either Louis or West (West-CIA-shock)

as Talkshoe hosts can you - if you think it's a good idea that is - suggest in the Talkshoe Forum that on either the Talkshoe main page or the 'Upcoming' page:-

here

they put up a 'clock' showing the EDT time ie. their time.

I often look for interesting 'Up-coming' Podcast and I can't work out how much later they'll be.

If I can see a clock - and I know 'my time' - I can figure out - Oh, it's starting in 30mins or whatever.

When I've been logged in to Talkshoe I've still not got into the Forum to post.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Thursday, July 26 2007 @ 06:22 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Dalzo]
    [Quote  by:  Simon] I agree that it is fair to take all views into account, but I feel that a few of these comments are in danger of taking the efforts of Ken, James and esp. Louis for granted.

As a casual, but keen viewer of Who since the late 70s - rather than long-term/hard core fan, someone who isn't a member of a fan group of any kind (nor wants to be), nor indeed someone who owns a headset/microphone, or knows how to operate Skype or Talkshoe - I really have enjoyed both the prerecorded and live shows and don't really care how long they last. Long may they both continue!

I love the flexible structure and the occasional rambles and rants of both the regular cast and the guest contributors. Please keep going as you are guys, I'd hate it if this excellent Podcast became too glossy and polished and starting to sound like every other overproduced TV and radio show.

As to those who think its too long, perhaps they could listen in portions, or skip ahead a little, I'm sure that as consumers of a completely free service that you can find some way of coping with an extra 30mins now and again Rolling Eyes .

I really enjoy Ken, James and Louis's passion for the show and I'd hate for that to be constrained by the feeling that the listeners are pressuring them to finish in under an hour, or scrutinising them for factual inaccuracies. Its exactly that kind of pedantic nonesense which has always kept me away from fan groups - until I discovered Podshock.

If 20 mins is all you can spare Louis, then you make the podcast how you want. If you want to ramble on for 1hr, 30mins with additional bad puns and bizzare tangents then I'm with you all the way too! Laughing Out Loud

Common guys, how much time and effort is put in for free by all the contributors to the show. I'm so grateful that this show exists and that people like Louis are willing to give up their time so freely to edit and produce such a fantastic piece of broadcasting.

I admire the democractic and inclusive attitude promoted here, but I don't think the format should be overly dictated by us 'free' listeners who don't have to spend hours actually producing the show. As far as I'm concerned I'm just evesdropping and I love the fact that podcasts like this are made to such high standards without having to pander to sponsors, or viewing figures, or the whims of the massess.

I've been pretty dismayed with this series of Who, but taking part in the forums and downloading the latest Podcasts has made even the poor episodes a really enjoyable experience. If I didn't like some of it then I just skip ahead or turn it off.

Louis sounds like the kind of nice guy who will try and please everyone, but I hope you don't take these demands placed on you too seriously. You're the one who puts the effort in so you produce whatever you like (live or prercorded) for however long you can!

Thanks to everyone who has put in the work here and has rekindled my interest in Doctor Who!

In short: it aint broke, so don't fix it. I'm an adult and I can turn off, skip ahead, and generally manage any episodes I don't like. I'm just very glad that there are people out there willing to make um.

Hear hear!!!

I have enjoyed both the Live and studio based podcast but I think my preference is the studio based episodes. I think this is partially due to the fact that I enjoy listening to Louis, Ken and James discuss things amongst themselves without the pressure of having to ensure that all the callers have time to make their point of view. It seems much more relaxed (apart from poor Louis who has to do all the post production... which I and many others appreciate immensley by the way). I also find that it is more humourous and easy to listen to and I enjoy listening to the Big Finish reviews from such people as Darth Skeptical and others.
    When I first discovered Podshock I found myself listening to all the "back catalogue" and found myself listening to 4 or 5 a day (I am currently suffering from withdrawal symptoms and can hardly type because of the shakes!).

That said, I would be very happy to have a regular Live Podshock as well... But that is because I am greedy and want my cake and eat it Twisted Evil .

Whatever you do I will be listening! I am currently unemployed due to being made redundant but when a job comes my way I will be making a donation to show my appreciation... Until then let me take this opportunity to offer my deep thanks to Louis, Ken and James for their hard work in producing such a fine Podcast!!!

I got a job... Yay!!!

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 30 2007 @ 07:44 PM EDT

Just checking out Podshock on Talkshoe:-

here

And at the bottom there are reviews people have posted on the show.

The newest one however seems to be just an advert for the reviewers own podcast - not a review at all.

Doesn't seem right to me - I wonder if it could be removed. It's basically Spam.

Now I'm not saying you remove 'bad' reviews etc. - but this post just seems a misuse (or abuse) of the review option.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, July 30 2007 @ 09:01 PM EDT
    Yes, but the majority of the "good" reviews are mostly from participants, which is hardly "fair and balanced", either. Wouldn't worry about it too much: TalkShoe's entire set of practices to rate and review its podcasts incentivizes bias of one kind or another.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Saturday, August 04 2007 @ 04:50 PM EDT
    #94?

What happened to #93?

Wait is that gonna be another full-on production show?

-cs™

http://twitter.com/Smittmaestro
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, August 05 2007 @ 01:58 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Smitty] #94?

What happened to #93?

Wait is that gonna be another full-on production show?

-cs™

Yep, we recorded a studio podcast today... that is episode 93. It is a feedback-only episode since so much feedback has accumulated over the past few months that we were doing mostly live shows. We also recorded an Aftershock episode as well...

I am still up from yesterday, so as soon as I get some shut-eye behind me, I can still getting these episodes out there through post-production.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Sunday, August 05 2007 @ 02:03 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis] I am still up from yesterday, so as soon as I get some shut-eye behind me, I can still getting these episodes out there through post-production.

So I wasn't the only one pulling an "all-niter"! I had mostly clear skies in the Catskills and finally got myself together enough to set up the telescope for the first time since Presidents' Day weekend. It was also first light with my new camera.

Get some sleep, if you can!

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Sunday, August 05 2007 @ 02:08 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    So I wasn't the only one pulling an "all-niter"! I had mostly clear skies in the Catskills and finally got myself together enough to set up the telescope for the first time since Presidents' Day weekend. It was also first light with my new camera.

Taras

I don't suppose you were in time to view the new rocket off to Mars?

Cheers, daveac

Monday, August 06 2007 @ 11:29 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    [Quote  by:  Louis] I am still up from yesterday, so as soon as I get some shut-eye behind me, I can still getting these episodes out there through post-production.

Taras

Thanks... I did get some sleep last night (about 6 hours... which was all the sleep I had for the entire weekend for the most part).

Man, I was really tired... my sentence in my previous message made less sense than they usually do... "as soon as I get some shut-eye behind me, I can still getting these episodes out there through post-production." Oh my... "I can still getting these episodes..." what the hell was that? LOL

Wow... and if that was bad, I can imagine how this podcast is that we recorded yesterday under those conditions came out.

It's probably going to need plenty of post work done to it... LOL. Well, actually it will regardless of my condition during the recording of it since it contains so much audio feedback in it.

Anyway... yeah it was sort of surprise on late Saturday night seeing the glaring sun outside realizing it was Sunday morning already. I tried to squeeze a few hours of sleep before the podcast but by that time, I just couldn't fall asleep being overtired and all.

Taras, if post those new astronomy photos you took to your site, please give a heads up. I am glad you got some time away to get some stargazing done. Let me know if you ever see any of my relatives out there. Wink

Cheers,
    Louis

Thursday, August 09 2007 @ 12:07 PM EDT
    Can I ask Louis - will the 'studio' episodes of Podshock ie. Podshock 91 - be added to the Talkshoe page?

I'm thinking there may be people who only check there and will miss out on your (Ken and James included) professional podcasts.

Or will the studio and Live podcasts stay - maybe done alternately - be listed diferently?

Cheers, daveac

Thursday, August 09 2007 @ 01:50 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac] Can I ask Louis - will the 'studio' episodes of Podshock ie. Podshock 91 - be added to the Talkshoe page?

I'm thinking there may be people who only check there and will miss out on your (Ken and James included) professional podcasts.

Or will the studio and Live podcasts stay - maybe done alternately - be listed diferently?

Cheers, daveac

I have thought about it. I haven't really conclusively decided on it yet. If we did, we would be essentially maintaining three different feeds with the same content. It also complicates further any stats and log keeping on distribution of the podcasts.

So I guess my answer would have to be "maybe" (and/or "maybe not") Wink .

Cheers,
    Louis

Monday, August 13 2007 @ 08:58 AM EDT

Hi Louis - you wanted suggestions for the next Podshock Live recording - which I think you've numbered 95, although if you are alternating with Studios one's I thought it would more likely be number 96.

I think I did mention something like this before but can't remember such an episode happenning (perhaps I even said it on CIA)

Anyway the topic idea is:-

'My Dr Who Collecting Mania'

In Darth's voice :-)

'Whether your collection is just a small number of books and videos or an all encompassing catalogue that includes everything from a replica of the second Doctor's recorder to Rose's Union Jack T-shirt or from a Slitheen Whoopie cushion to a Tardis USB Hub - confess to your passion and seek absolution amonsed like-minded friends.....It's Dr Who Podshock!'

Cheers, daveac

PS I only basically have books and DVDs

Monday, August 13 2007 @ 10:48 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    Hi Louis - you wanted suggestions for the next Podshock Live recording - which I think you've numbered 95, although if you are alternating with Studios one's I thought it would more likely be number 96.

I think I did mention something like this before but can't remember such an episode happenning (perhaps I even said it on CIA)

Anyway the topic idea is:-

'My Dr Who Collecting Mania'

In Darth's voice :-)

'Whether your collection is just a small number of books and videos or an all encompassing catalogue that includes everything from a replica of the second Doctor's recorder to Rose's Union Jack T-shirt or from a Slitheen Whoopie cushion to a Tardis USB Hub - confess to your passion and seek absolution amonsed like-minded friends.....It's Dr Who Podshock!'

Cheers, daveac

PS I only basically have books and DVDs

Due to scheduling conflicts, we may not record a studio show next week... that is why the next live show is numbered 95. Of course that could change if we do manage to record a studio show within that time period.

Be sure to put the Live show topic suggestions in the other thread asking about it... Only because I will probably only refer to that thread when looking for suggestions.

Collecting and collectables is a valid topic, one that can be explored perhaps in a show. Though I wonder if we would risk alienating listeners that are fans of the series, but have no interest in the merchandising / collecting aspects of being a fan.

But hey, we could tackle it for show.

Cheers,
    Louis

Wednesday, August 15 2007 @ 03:05 PM EDT

A quick question for Louis or other Talkshoe hosts (West?)

When I checkout shows that are 'LIVE' some have a 'Listen Only' button as well as join in next to them.

Without Logging in I can just listen to those - but not to others. Is that under the control of the Host?
    ie. can he set it either way?

Also does the Host know about these 'Listen only' people as I'm assuming they are not listed in any way on the Chat page.

Just interested, daveac

Wednesday, August 15 2007 @ 03:42 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    A quick question for Louis or other Talkshoe hosts (West?)

When I checkout shows that are 'LIVE' some have a 'Listen Only' button as well as join in next to them.

Without Logging in I can just listen to those - but not to others. Is that under the control of the Host?
    ie. can he set it either way?

Also does the Host know about these 'Listen only' people as I'm assuming they are not listed in any way on the Chat page.

Just interested, daveac

If the host is dialed in to the show, the 'Listen only" button will be active for any show. There has been a recent upsurge of shows that, although scheduled, the host does not start the show. The host can get a report after the show that has the stats for the show, those stats include the number of "streamers" (the folk that used the listen only option. During the show there is no way of determining the number of streamers.

Cheers,
    Mike M.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored