The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Yet Another Promo for the 2014 Doctor Who Christmas Special - Last Christmas
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 319 - The 2014 Series of Doctor Who Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Gallifrey 20: Podshock After Dark
    Gallifrey 20: Podshock After Dark
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who: Podshock »  LIVE Podcast
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    LIVE Podcast Views: 40488
     Saturday, July 14 2007 @ 04:56 AM EDT
    But what will there be to discuss when no-Who is airing?

I know I'll probably make myself unpopular saying this but I think the live Podcasts need a short break now. I attend several local Who-groups and spread the word of Podshock throughout them. However, more and more people at these groups are now telling me they have given up on Podshock (for the time being) as they really don't like the live Podshocks - or at least aspects of them. I've urged them to register here and post what they do and don't about them but as the forum is very 'pro' live Podshocks I think most are reluctant to air such views.

Personally, I've enjoyed some - hated others - from a listeners point of view, who is unable to make the scheduled live timeslot, I found the longer episodes could grate rather as often there was some repetitiveness. I'm sure the experience is better if you're able to listen in 'live' rather than 'live after the event'. I did find it a bit cluttered sometimes as well.

In summary I would be pleased if they were rested for a couple of months - perhaps instead we could have more 'guest hosts' for sections of the regular Podshocks taken from the pool of regular 'live' contributors?

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, July 14 2007 @ 10:12 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  capricorn1] I know I'll probably make myself unpopular saying this but I think the live Podcasts need a short break now. I attend several local Who-groups and spread the word of Podshock throughout them. However, more and more people at these groups are now telling me they have given up on Podshock (for the time being) as they really don't like the live Podshocks - or at least aspects of them. I've urged them to register here and post what they do and don't about them but as the forum is very 'pro' live Podshocks I think most are reluctant to air such views.

I get a similar reaction when talking to people at DWNY meets. Many feel that the podcast, both live and studio versions, are way too long. Others feel very uncomfortable with the way the hosts respond to some callers. Still others feel that there are just to many incorrect statments made on the podcasts regarding the classic series or production details, etc. I do not necessarily agree with all of these observations, but we should consider all of them.

I personally would like the podcast to be 60 to 70 minutes in length. This is an optimal episode length. If there is just too much material, then maybe breaking an episode into two parts may change perceptions. Listening to other podcasts, there are still many people that burn podcasts to CD, most likely to play in their car CD player during their commutes.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, July 14 2007 @ 11:10 AM EDT
    Firstly let me agree with a couple of points.

Yes the Live podcast has been long recently - perhaps too long - but I would expect this to now shorten naturally as Series 3 has now ended in the UK.

The sound quality which put people off is slowly getting better - though I wish TalkShoe would at least move up to 64k per sec.

I agree that they may not need to be weekly Live podcasts - fortnightly or even monthly (at least during the Summer months)

But as to other things said - I think we need to (jointly) decide what is the focus, or idea behind 'live podcasts'

a) Is it to allow like-minded people to enjoy a 'live' disscussion and interactive 'text chat' in a friendly and 'open-to-all' forum - which is also recorded for themselves and others to catch at a later date to either hear for the first time or to check back on.

b) Is it a group of like-minded people producing 'a recorded audio show' for people to download and enjoy.

c) - and my view - a coming together of people from around the world who get a buzz from participating in the live 'text chat' and audio input on our favourite show - whilst keeping in mind that many hundreds (thousands?) of others can listen at a later date and take enjoyment from it.

d) for those that enjoy listenning to audio content given with the listener as the sole focus then the Studio based Podshock is definately the better format.

e) can and should both options be catered for and how should that balance be reached.

Cheers, dac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Saturday, July 14 2007 @ 02:36 PM EDT

Yeah, after this weekend, the live shows will be less frequent, and since they will not reviewing episodes hot on the hells of them being transmitted, they will be much shorter. The live shows started off well in terms of running length, but as the series reached the climax and series finale, the live podcasts ran longer than scheduled. And since they went out without any editing, in order to get them out in a timely fashion, there were obviously not cut down or trimmed down at all in post production.

Future podcasts (live and studio) should all be shorter. I've been advocating for shorter shows for some time now.

The live shows perhaps will go to a biweekly or monthly schedule, it hasn't been determined yet.

Ken, James, and I are long time fans of the series with an obvious passion for it, but we never proclaimed to be experts. So I am sure we have made errors in our comments about the series in some podcasts. It is bound to happen. If we had, we would like to correct them for our listeners if we are made of aware of them. None of us are K9 after all... memories can be faulty at times. It's one of the great things about having the live chat during our live shows is that if an error is made on one of our parts, often one of our listeners will catch it and post the correction in chat which we can address it right in the very same live show.

Keep the feedback coming in.. both pros and cons, it is all appreciated. We certainly don't want to do the podcast in a bottle so to speak.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Saturday, July 14 2007 @ 03:21 PM EDT
    I agree that it is fair to take all views into account, but I feel that a few of these comments are in danger of taking the efforts of Ken, James and esp. Louis for granted.

As a casual, but keen viewer of Who since the late 70s - rather than long-term/hard core fan, someone who isn't a member of a fan group of any kind (nor wants to be), nor indeed someone who owns a headset/microphone, or knows how to operate Skype or Talkshoe - I really have enjoyed both the prerecorded and live shows and don't really care how long they last. Long may they both continue!

I love the flexible structure and the occasional rambles and rants of both the regular cast and the guest contributors. Please keep going as you are guys, I'd hate it if this excellent Podcast became too glossy and polished and starting to sound like every other overproduced TV and radio show.

As to those who think its too long, perhaps they could listen in portions, or skip ahead a little, I'm sure that as consumers of a completely free service that you can find some way of coping with an extra 30mins now and again Rolling Eyes .

I really enjoy Ken, James and Louis's passion for the show and I'd hate for that to be constrained by the feeling that the listeners are pressuring them to finish in under an hour, or scrutinising them for factual inaccuracies. Its exactly that kind of pedantic nonesense which has always kept me away from fan groups - until I discovered Podshock.

If 20 mins is all you can spare Louis, then you make the podcast how you want. If you want to ramble on for 1hr, 30mins with additional bad puns and bizzare tangents then I'm with you all the way too! Laughing Out Loud

Common guys, how much time and effort is put in for free by all the contributors to the show. I'm so grateful that this show exists and that people like Louis are willing to give up their time so freely to edit and produce such a fantastic piece of broadcasting.

I admire the democractic and inclusive attitude promoted here, but I don't think the format should be overly dictated by us 'free' listeners who don't have to spend hours actually producing the show. As far as I'm concerned I'm just evesdropping and I love the fact that podcasts like this are made to such high standards without having to pander to sponsors, or viewing figures, or the whims of the massess.

I've been pretty dismayed with this series of Who, but taking part in the forums and downloading the latest Podcasts has made even the poor episodes a really enjoyable experience. If I didn't like some of it then I just skip ahead or turn it off.

Louis sounds like the kind of nice guy who will try and please everyone, but I hope you don't take these demands placed on you too seriously. You're the one who puts the effort in so you produce whatever you like (live or prercorded) for however long you can!

Thanks to everyone who has put in the work here and has rekindled my interest in Doctor Who!

In short: it aint broke, so don't fix it. I'm an adult and I can turn off, skip ahead, and generally manage any episodes I don't like. I'm just very glad that there are people out there willing to make um.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, July 14 2007 @ 04:37 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Simon] I agree that it is fair to take all views into account, but I feel that a few of these comments are in danger of taking the efforts of Ken, James and esp. Louis for granted.

As a casual, but keen viewer of Who since the late 70s - rather than long-term/hard core fan, someone who isn't a member of a fan group of any kind (nor wants to be), nor indeed someone who owns a headset/microphone, or knows how to operate Skype or Talkshoe - I really have enjoyed both the prerecorded and live shows and don't really care how long they last. Long may they both continue!

I love the flexible structure and the occasional rambles and rants of both the regular cast and the guest contributors. Please keep going as you are guys, I'd hate it if this excellent Podcast became too glossy and polished and starting to sound like every other overproduced TV and radio show.

As to those who think its too long, perhaps they could listen in portions, or skip ahead a little, I'm sure that as consumers of a completely free service that you can find some way of coping with an extra 30mins now and again Rolling Eyes .

I really enjoy Ken, James and Louis's passion for the show and I'd hate for that to be constrained by the feeling that the listeners are pressuring them to finish in under an hour, or scrutinising them for factual inaccuracies. Its exactly that kind of pedantic nonesense which has always kept me away from fan groups - until I discovered Podshock.

If 20 mins is all you can spare Louis, then you make the podcast how you want. If you want to ramble on for 1hr, 30mins with additional bad puns and bizzare tangents then I'm with you all the way too! Laughing Out Loud

Common guys, how much time and effort is put in for free by all the contributors to the show. I'm so grateful that this show exists and that people like Louis are willing to give up their time so freely to edit and produce such a fantastic piece of broadcasting.

I admire the democractic and inclusive attitude promoted here, but I don't think the format should be overly dictated by us 'free' listeners who don't have to spend hours actually producing the show. As far as I'm concerned I'm just evesdropping and I love the fact that podcasts like this are made to such high standards without having to pander to sponsors, or viewing figures, or the whims of the massess.

I've been pretty dismayed with this series of Who, but taking part in the forums and downloading the latest Podcasts has made even the poor episodes a really enjoyable experience. If I didn't like some of it then I just skip ahead or turn it off.

Louis sounds like the kind of nice guy who will try and please everyone, but I hope you don't take these demands placed on you too seriously. You're the one who puts the effort in so you produce whatever you like (live or prercorded) for however long you can!

Thanks to everyone who has put in the work here and has rekindled my interest in Doctor Who!

In short: it aint broke, so don't fix it. I'm an adult and I can turn off, skip ahead, and generally manage any episodes I don't like. I'm just very glad that there are people out there willing to make um.

Hear hear!!!

I have enjoyed both the Live and studio based podcast but I think my preference is the studio based episodes. I think this is partially due to the fact that I enjoy listening to Louis, Ken and James discuss things amongst themselves without the pressure of having to ensure that all the callers have time to make their point of view. It seems much more relaxed (apart from poor Louis who has to do all the post production... which I and many others appreciate immensley by the way). I also find that it is more humourous and easy to listen to and I enjoy listening to the Big Finish reviews from such people as Darth Skeptical and others.
    When I first discovered Podshock I found myself listening to all the "back catalogue" and found myself listening to 4 or 5 a day (I am currently suffering from withdrawal symptoms and can hardly type because of the shakes!).

That said, I would be very happy to have a regular Live Podshock as well... But that is because I am greedy and want my cake and eat it Twisted Evil .

Whatever you do I will be listening! I am currently unemployed due to being made redundant but when a job comes my way I will be making a donation to show my appreciation... Until then let me take this opportunity to offer my deep thanks to Louis, Ken and James for their hard work in producing such a fine Podcast!!!

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 15 2007 @ 03:57 PM EDT

Well We've just had a 2 hour 10 minute marathon!!

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Sunday, July 15 2007 @ 06:05 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Simon] I agree that it is fair to take all views into account, but I feel that a few of these comments are in danger of taking the efforts of Ken, James and esp. Louis for granted.

i completely echo your statements 100 percent!

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 16 2007 @ 03:57 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat] I get a similar reaction when talking to people at DWNY meets. Many feel that the podcast, both live and studio versions, are way too long. Others feel very uncomfortable with the way the hosts respond to some callers. Still others feel that there are just to many incorrect statments made on the podcasts regarding the classic series or production details, etc. I do not necessarily agree with all of these observations, but we should consider all of them.

Taras

I've heard a similar reaction from local Toronto folks and those who come out to the Toronto Tavern each month. I think some of the divide may be between people who have a regular group of people who they talk to about Doctor Who and those who do not.

No matter what you do it's a tough job to satisfy everyone.

Mike

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 16 2007 @ 10:58 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    Well We've just had a 2 hour 10 minute marathon!!

Cheers, daveac

This will be split into two podcasts.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Monday, July 16 2007 @ 02:12 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Dalzo]

Hear hear!!!

I have enjoyed both the Live and studio based podcast but I think my preference is the studio based episodes. I think this is partially due to the fact that I enjoy listening to Louis, Ken and James discuss things amongst themselves without the pressure of having to ensure that all the callers have time to make their point of view. It seems much more relaxed (apart from poor Louis who has to do all the post production... which I and many others appreciate immensley by the way). I also find that it is more humourous and easy to listen to and I enjoy listening to the Big Finish reviews from such people as Darth Skeptical and others.
    When I first discovered Podshock I found myself listening to all the "back catalogue" and found myself listening to 4 or 5 a day (I am currently suffering from withdrawal symptoms and can hardly type because of the shakes!).

That said, I would be very happy to have a regular Live Podshock as well... But that is because I am greedy and want my cake and eat it Twisted Evil .

Whatever you do I will be listening! I am currently unemployed due to being made redundant but when a job comes my way I will be making a donation to show my appreciation... Until then let me take this opportunity to offer my deep thanks to Louis, Ken and James for their hard work in producing such a fine Podcast!!!

Can I just say...DITTO! to the above two comments.

I mainly listen to Podshock at work and can get in 2 or 3 a day (with interuptions as I am in a management situation) I have also carted Podshock on the road with me on my 45 minute one-way commute to work when without my handy dandy audiobooks.

I love them and the sponteanousness (is that a word?) of them. And the length of the shows are not an issue with me.

I listened to it live yesterday and that was a lot of fun. Thanks guys for furthering my enjoyment of the Doctor!

Monday, July 16 2007 @ 07:21 PM EDT
    Wow, the one day I miss the podcast and my intro airs! sounded cool, thanks again Smile.

"WOT?...WOT?" "WOT??????!!!!!" OUT!OUT!OUT!

Tuesday, July 17 2007 @ 04:08 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    c) - and my view - a coming together of people from around the world who get a buzz from participating in the live 'text chat' and audio input on our favourite show - whilst keeping in mind that many hundreds (thousands?) of others can listen at a later date and take enjoyment from it.

Good idea - maybe the 'live' element could be spun off, re-branded if you like, as a 'Gallifreyan Embassy' on line meet up that happens to be recorded so others can enjoy it as they see fit?

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, July 17 2007 @ 08:29 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  capricorn1] Good idea - maybe the 'live' element could be spun off, re-branded if you like, as a 'Gallifreyan Embassy' on line meet up that happens to be recorded so others can enjoy it as they see fit?

A sort of 'Podshock Confidencial' Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Cheers, daveac

Wednesday, July 18 2007 @ 08:42 AM EDT
    I enjoy botht he studio and Live Podshocks. I think the Live ones served a purpose in getting immediate response and commentary for the season episodes. However, I also miss the banter of Ken, Louis, and James and the wonderful Big Finish reviews, interviews, etc submitted by listeners.

I like the idea of a once a month Live recorded chat.

Maybe we could do one on the music of Murray Gold, the special effects of the Mill, etc. Some of the production bits we usually don't have time for in reviewing the content of episodes.

EDITED to add: I also love the super long podshocks. If I can't listen in one go I just break them up.

http://themedusacascadegazette.blogspot.com/
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed