The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Yet Another Promo for the 2014 Doctor Who Christmas Special - Last Christmas
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 319 - The 2014 Series of Doctor Who Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Peter Davison in Sydney
    Peter Davison in Sydney
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who: Podshock »  LIVE Podcast
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    LIVE Podcast Views: 40470
     Saturday, April 07 2007 @ 03:45 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

We will be recording another live over the net recording tomorrow, Sunday, 8th of April at 1pm EDT (US).

That's 17:00 UCT or (possiblty more usefully) 6pm BST. Which gives a couple of hours until the BBC3 repeat followed by the cutdown confidential

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, April 07 2007 @ 09:36 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

So if you can't make it tomorrow, hopefully you can make it the following week.

Cheers,
    Louis

Just listened to the Live Podshock - introduced as Podshock 72 but listed as 73.

The sound poor at the start but got progressively better - maybe as people dropped out.

I really enjoyed the 'live' aspect of the show and of course this could mean quicker feedback on episodes as they air.

Definately a great new twist on the 'podcasting' idea.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, April 07 2007 @ 11:00 PM EDT

Hey daveac,

Yeah, it is very rough, ready, and raw... We had to work out the bumps in the beginning... We will try to clean up the audio before it goes out on the feeds.

It is episode 73 by the way... 72 should be out on the feeds very shortly (I am encoding it as I type this message now).

We are recording episode 74 tomorrow ... live on the net!

These live episodes are going to be in addition to our regular podcasts.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Sunday, April 08 2007 @ 12:51 AM EDT
    so will these live episodes ultimately be made available through the itunes feed like the standard episodes, or will we have to go TalkShoe to hear them? I notice Ep 73 is already listed as available on that site but not on iTunes...

would like to join in the live podcast today but that'll be about 3am Australian-time and that outstretches my Who obsession by a smidge...

L

Sunday, April 08 2007 @ 03:16 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  lucas] so will these live episodes ultimately be made available through the itunes feed like the standard episodes, or will we have to go TalkShoe to hear them? I notice Ep 73 is already listed as available on that site but not on iTunes...

would like to join in the live podcast today but that'll be about 3am Australian-time and that outstretches my Who obsession by a smidge...

L

They will make their way to the feeds and will be posted here after some post production work. For those adventurous enough can listen to the raw live version on the TalkShoe site if they don't want to wait for the more 'finished' version on the feeds.

Yeah, Australia does present a problem schedule-wise... If we schedule a live show in the evening, it would be better for our friends down under as it will be morning going into afternoon... but it would be the wee hours for our friends in the UK. So perhaps we will alternate the time when possible.

Cheers,
    Louis

Sunday, April 08 2007 @ 01:03 PM EDT
    Sigh... I was hoping to participate today, but I have to take my daughter to see "Meet the Robinsons" in 3D.

Oh well... it was a good episode, and I was hoping to talk about it a bit, especially the fact that the three sisters were mis-represented, as we all know they would end up being the inspiration for the three sisters in "MacBeth".

In fact just last night, partially inspired by this episode, and partially because my wife is teaching it in her English Lit classes right now, I watched Roman Polanski's version of MacBeth, which was just wonderful.

In that one, the three sisters are played by two very old women, and one younger, more attractive woman (though they did portray her as being mottled with the black death.)

I wonder if that was the reason one of the witches in this episode was younger while the other two were older?

Anyway, perhaps I'll join y'all next Sunday after the "Fifth Element" episode.

Have fun. I look forward to listening.

Catch you all same time NEXT week, hopefully.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Sunday, April 08 2007 @ 03:17 PM EDT

Well, that was very enjoyable. Next time I'll charge the phone beforehand. Smile

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Sunday, April 08 2007 @ 05:51 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    Well, that was very enjoyable. Next time I'll charge the phone beforehand. Smile

Well I half made it.

When I tried to connect on the the TalkShoe page I kept getting 'you are not connected' with a shaded out window that - after clicking on it - clears and I could hear the live podcast but could not join in on the audio.

So I downloaded and re-installed the software again - and still it failed.

It said to 'dial in' but there was nowhere on the page TO dial in.

I heard James say he'd had to connect via Skype so I began to try that.

The instuctions for connecting via Skype didn't seem clear to me - it said:-

dial (number with lots of 77777 in) buyt it turned out the number was for people only if you are already in the USA - so with text help from the 'live podshock' (thanks) I set Skype to dial a US number - but still it wouldn't connect

There were other options with the podcast ID number - and at least two other 'options' - but I didn't know what to do with them. Typing them into Skype got nowhere.

OSo at that point 20 mins into the podcast I decided to just listen in and add my text comments.

Still the whole idea seemed to work - all I need is a 'TalkShoe for Dummies Guide'

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Sunday, April 08 2007 @ 07:04 PM EDT
    very enjoyable - listened to it whilst having my dinner. will try and catch next weeks one if possible!

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 08 2007 @ 08:06 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac] ...
    Still the whole idea seemed to work - all I need is a 'TalkShoe for Dummies Guide'

Cheers, daveac

Yeah, I think we all need one of those. I am still learning the ins and outs of it all. Sometimes things don't work as expected.

I was disconnected from the conference without knowing I was disconnected... this was because I could still hear everyone and I assumed I could be heard as well... until I realized I was not connected even though I still heard everyone else. When I tried to reconnect, using the keypad on Skype to enter the podcast ID # it kept on stating it was not a valid ID... until I realized it was registering each number on the keypad twice for some reason. I figured out if I muted the microphone on Skype and then keyed in the numbers via the Skype keypad display, it would only register each key press once and then it worked. But this was not the case when I first signed on... I didn't have to mute the microphone on Skype, it just worked.

Very odd stuff.

Oh well, it is cutting edge beta technology... hopefully things will get better as time goes on.

THANK YOU ALL WHO PARTICIPATED (both in the discussion or just listened in as part of the audience).

We will do it again next week.

Cheers,
    Louis

Monday, April 09 2007 @ 02:11 AM EDT
    Like everyone else, I was (am?) a bit mystified by the whole TalkShoe experience. However, I found the instructional videos "How to use the TalkShoe service" and "How to use the TalkShoe Live! client program" really helpful.

These videos don't really explain the mechanics of physically calling in via Skype very well. (Although the pdf, "How do I connect to TalkShoe using VoIP" is clear for Windows users, if you wanna go that route.)

I'll therefore give here the steps I've used in the hopes that it grows our ranks of participators.
    Joining Podshock's weekly Series 3 discussions through Skype (or a regular phone)

This tutorial assumes that you have installed Skype, and that you are able to make outgoing calls with Skype. You will probably, therefore, have to buy one of the plans on Skype that allow outgoing phone calls.

Whether you're using your phone or Skype, you need to set up a TalkShoe account. Click here to begin.

After you complete the first page of the signup process, your user has been created, but in a sense only halfway. You now have a user which can be used to listen in to chats, but not actually to talk or text on them. You need to complete steps 1 and 2 of the second page (currently with a sky blue background). In step 1 you create a PIN number. This number is required to allow you to talk via Skype or your phone (or, indeed VoiP). They recommend that you therefore just make it a very familiar number such as your phone number. Click on SAVE MY PIN when ready.

At the point that your PIN is accepted you have done enough to be able to talk using your telephone.

However, if you want to talk via Skype, you need to continue on to step 2. Here, you'll download the client. The website automatically detects whether you're using a Mac or Windows platform. Once downloaded, install the client according the the instructions provided.

Once installed, find the TalkShoe folder on your computer. Mac users might note that it's a sorta sloppy design for a Mac Ap, in that the application can only be found nested in a folder within the Application directory, along with its support files. The thing you're looking for is labelled, simply, "TalkShoe".

Open TalkShoe.

Given the sloppiness of the Mac design, Mac users might be best advised to right click on the TalkShoe icon in your Dock, once it comes up, and pull down to KEEP IN DOCK. Since the download installs two applications with exactly the same icon, it's probably easiest to bring the one you actually need to the Dock so you can find it easily again later. All users are currently advised that while, theoretically, it shouldn't be necessary to start this application first—in other words, it should be that the website calls this app into use automatically—it would seem that most of our participators are finding more consistent results by using this app to call up the webiste. Indeed, the only visible thing this little app does is to open a window telling you the software is properly installed. It also gives you the option to either JOIN or CREATE a TalkCast. It defaults to JOIN, so keep that selected, and hit the button, GO TO WEBSITE.

This then opens the main BROWSE page on TalkShoe, with the current Live Postcasts on top and the Upcoming ones on bottom. A TalkCast is considered Live from the moment it's 15 minutes prior to its announced start time. So, for intance, this week, Louis had designated that the TalkCast would begin at 1pm EDT. You would have found the Podcast Roundtable in the Live area starting from 12:45pm EDT.

Once a TalkCast has "bubbled up" to the Live area of the Browse page, you can do one of two things with the icon to the right of the TalkCast description. You can choose to JUST listen in. Or you can hit the larger part of the icon and actually join the conversation.

Once you hit this icon, two things are gonna happen. It's going to first check to see whether you're logged in. If not, it will demand you do so. Once satisfied you've logged in, a new browser window will launch, covered by a translucent grey screen with a large black window right in the middle. In this central window will be a series of numbers.

If you're calling in by traditional (or cell) phone, you can dial the number 1-724-444-7444. When TalkShoe answers, it will demand you enter the TALKCAST ID followed by your PIN number. Once you do that you will be connected to the chat, and, so long as you're not muted by Louis, you should be able to freely interact with everyone else.

If you're calling in by Skype, you do much the same. Start a call, and enter the telephone number above. However, the tricky bit (for me at least) was figuring out how to enter the TalkCast ID and PIN. Skype rather bizarrely has two different dialpads. One is what's used to actually place a call. But you can't use that one to enter the ID and PIN. Instead, you need to bring up the dialpad on the connection you've just made to TalkShoe. At the bottom of the window currently connected to +17244447444, you'll see three buttons on the bottom left. One's a pause button, the other is a picture of a microphone (mute button), and the other is a series of regular dots. This is the dialpad key. Click on it, and you'll have a dialpad you can use to enter the Talkcast ID and PIN. Follow the recorded voice's instructions from here on out and you'll soon be chatting away.
    All this, of course, is a best-case scenario. In other words, that's how it's supposed to work. But as Louis has pointed out, it is still beta software. We've certainly noted some strange behavior with it.

Louis' "disappearance" from this weeks' recording, for instance, was quite odd. Louis noted last week that after he de-installed TalkShoe, then re-installed it, the second installation didn't work well, so he had to go to yet a third reinstallation. Last week, I thought it was awfully echoy and had, for me, a noticeable delay that made it difficult to figure out where to jump in.

Nevertheless, I think if you follow these instructions (and if I've written them clearly enough), you'll most probably be joining us for the discussion next week!

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Monday, April 09 2007 @ 08:27 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]
    This tutorial assumes that you have installed Skype, and that you are able to make outgoing calls with Skype. You will probably, therefore, have to buy one of the plans on Skype that allow outgoing phone calls.

Snipped main help - but pasted and copied to help me next week.

A couple of points;

I thought the idea of moving from Skype that Ken, Louis and James used before was that that had a limitation of a max of 4 users at once - so how come that limit isn't in effect with Skype + Talkshoe.

I was beginning to think it was this limit of 4 was what had 'blocked me out'

Now - if I read your helpfile correctly (and thanks so much for it) - the reason I couldn't connect is that I've never 'paid' or 'bought' any time or calls with Skype. I only ever use(d) it for talking to my son over the internet ie. Skype user to Skype user.

Your helpfile seems to mean that going the Skype 'dialing' route it is classed as a 'call' unless you used the VoiP - in which case you don't dial the US number.

I'm sure I could sort that out BUT another thing is I'd rather just use the one 'connecting' software ie. it seems daft to have to use TalkShoe and yet still have to use Skype. I quite liked being able to 'text' during the live audio - although I didn't always address my replies to the 'right' person.

And lastly there is the audio thing - a little like Louis mentioned - for a while although the software told me (TalkShoe that is) that I wasn't connected I could hear everybody. If I had had got also connected by Skype then my mic which is built into my webcam would have had TalkShoe as its 'focus' not Skype.

So since I don't want to upgrade (at the moment) my Skype profile into paying to dial numbers - I'll try at least for next week to get TalkShoe working as a standalone program.

Sorry for the long answer but there will be others struggling with this I think.

EDIT Quote 'Whether you're using your phone or Skype, you need to set up a TalkShoe account'

Just reading that line again! Doe's that mean you HAVE to use some form of connection alongwith TalkShoe???

Surely you CAN just use TalkShoe ONLY and be fully involved.

Cheers, daveac

Monday, April 09 2007 @ 08:38 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    So since I don't want to upgrade (at the moment) my Skype profile into paying to dial numbers - I'll try at least for next week to get TalkShoe working as a standalone program.

Ahhhh. There, y'see, is the rub. It's not a standalone program. It's merely a facilitator for conversation. All it does is allow a way for people to talk together. It has no telephonic abilities of its own. Imagine, for lack of a better comparison, the television show Frasier. On that show, Frasier has a radio program. People call into the program and are filtered onto the radio program by Roz, his producer. She sits there at the mixer, putting people on the air as is appropriate to fill up the dead air. Now she might have a calling list a mile long of people who are connected and waiting to talk, but she's in no way responsible for providing the telephony that allow the people to call in to the show. TalkShoe is essentially Roz. You still need some way of gettin' to talk to Roz. Hence the continued need for Skype, VoIP or a regular telephone.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Monday, April 09 2007 @ 08:47 AM EDT
    [Quote Ahhhh. There, y'see, is the rub. It's not a standalone program. It's merely a facilitator for conversation. All it does is allow a way for people to talk together. It has no telephonic abilities of its own. Imagine, for lack of a better comparison, the television show Frasier. On that show, Frasier has a radio program. People call into the program and are filtered onto the radio program by Roz, his producer. She sits there at the mixer, putting people on the air as is appropriate to fill up the dead air. Now she might have a calling list a mile long of people who are connected and waiting to talk, but she's in no way responsible for providing the telephony that allow the people to call in to the show. TalkShoe is essentially Roz. You still need some way of gettin' to talk to Roz. Hence the continued need for Skype, VoIP or a regular telephone.

That explains a lot - Dummies like me need stuff like that spelt out.

I thought we were switching to TalkShoe because of the limitations od Skype - NOT that TalkShoe was an additional 'helper' programme.

So for people outside of the USA - meaning a regular phone call of 1 hour plus is not wallet friendly - is upgrading Skype - buying in 'credits' or whatever the only option - is that different than 'How do I connect to TalkShoe using VoIP'

EDIT Just downloaded and read the PDF - does using SJPhone work differently than Skype ie. not 'dialing' a number as such and paying for useage?

Cheers, daveac

Monday, April 09 2007 @ 09:05 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    I thought we were switching to TalkShoe because of the limitations od Skype - NOT that TalkShoe was an additional 'helper' programme.

So for people outside of the USA - meaning a regular phone call of 1 hour plus is not wallet friendly - is upgrading Skype - buying in 'credits' or whatever the only option - is that different than 'How do I connect to TalkShoe using VoIP'

Cheers, daveac
    Actually, that's still true. We did switch to TalkShoe because of Skype limitations on large calling groups. Skype has a theoretical max of 10 participants, but in practice it's apparently lower than that number. Certainly, it has no way to have, as we essentially did today, a "studio audience". TalkShoe is something of a revolution for those wishing to have mass conference calls, and we're currently willing to accept its flaws because there's really nothing else that does quite what it does.

People outside the US have a number of different options. I honestly don't know that much about VoIP or Skype, but they both are technologies which are "real location independent". They both offer ways in which the user can, for all intents and purposes, "appear" to be somewhere else. For instance, with Skype I can buy a telephone number in area codes all over the world. I'm seriously toying with the idea of buying a British telephone number, for instance. You, likewise, can buy Skype plans that allow for cheap per minute rates internationally. My fee for unlimited calls was $30 for the year, and, really, that's nothing, considering I pay more than that for a landline each month.

If TalkShoe were based in England, and I had to pay per minute to get to a London telephone number, I would have to pay about 2˘ a minute or $2.50 per Podshock Roundtable to participate. That's around the price of downloading a TV program from the iTunes store, so I'd say that's a reasonable figure to participate in a global discussion about a television program.

Still, there may be even cheaper options from your cell phone company or VoIP technology. Or maybe the European Skype branch has better international plans for European residents calling to the US than it does for US residents calling to Europe. My investigations haven't taken me that far into things yet. My guess is that James is the guy you really want to talk to about cheap calls to the US.

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored