The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Dark Water? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Sophie Aldred at Gallifrey 2008
    Sophie Aldred at Gallifrey 2008
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who: Podshock »  LIVE Podcast
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    LIVE Podcast Views: 40206
     Wednesday, July 02 2008 @ 09:07 PM EDT
    I have been out of the Podshock loop since series 3 ended last year. Basically b/c I didn't have the equipment to gather and store podcasts. But as of about 2 weeks ago I am back and catching up. And I was wondering why the most recent feed on the main Podshock line was dated so long ago. This whole live feed business was completely new news to me. But now that I have heard my fair share of both feeds there are things that I like and dislike with each format.

With the Live format I like to listen to the whole online forum conference call kind of thing. With the old traditional Podshock format, my favorite part usually was when the online participants would round robin discuss the current or classic episode of the week. Also, the fact that the live shows require considerable less post-production and the relative speed in which they come out is another asset. Also they tend to get more to the point right away compared to the old format. Also I've wanted desperately to participate in a live broadcast myself and put in my own spin on things. Although I've been a Doctor Who fan since 1983, but never in my life have I ever been able to discuss it with another serious fan directly or in person. I just haven't known any others. This forum here has been my only outlet during all my years of being quite a die hard fan, and my participation just started back in 2005.

But alas yes, the old format had it's charm as well. I starting listening to Podshock since show #1 and for some reason I always liked how Louis first improvised that typewriter sound effect when they started doing the news segment and kept it going for quite some time in following episodes. But ever since that typewriter sound effect went away I miss it soooo much! But yes, the release time for the traditional shows was a bit much and a pain.

So in the end I love both formats. Yes, I think a healthy mix of both would be ideal, but considering we are/were just in the middle of an active season it's totally understandable that the Live format would dominate right now.

But I must add one more thing. Ever since I discovered the Live feed, I always felt it should have it's own name and be more like a companion, sister, or supplement show to Podshock. Like Doctor Who: EarthCast or something like that. I think that sounds nice, especially since you like to refer to it as being an international podcast.

Esco, "The Bachelor" has regenerated into Bullitt33!!!!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, July 02 2008 @ 10:59 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac] It's been mentioned that the downloads on Podcast Alley are down - and of course the latest episodes have not yet made it to iTunes (sorry Louis) - but is there an agregated total from all the RSS feeds that does show the numbers are down?

ie are we sure the number of total listenners IS down?

Cheers, daveac

From what we've heard from those more involved in the podcast world it does sound like the statistic do indicate that overall downloads/listeners are down.

Just as valuable is I think the anecdotal evidence that a number of us have mentioned in recent months. My anecdotal observation is that 100% of my friends who were listening to Podshock have stopped.

The live forums are a nice community but they are one that is of interest mainly to those who take part and a circle around them.

Mike

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 06 2008 @ 09:20 PM EDT
    So now that the current season/series is concluded any plans for future shows?

Perhaps take some time off from the weekly grind for a little bit, yes?

-cs™

http://twitter.com/Smittmaestro
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 07 2008 @ 02:35 AM EDT
    dont worry about podcast ally.

there seems to be huge issues with that site. nothing is updating and its all over the place.

listeners are down a bit. Ive lost some since the start of season 4 but I gained MUCH more than that at the start who seem to have stayed.

Maybe the BBC comentry is effecting the numbers?

yeah a few weeks off.

however... isnt there some sort of Jump con thing to keep you occupied? lol

Guest Host on the WHOCAST

Monday, July 07 2008 @ 05:46 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  MikeD]
    From what we've heard from those more involved in the podcast world it does sound like the statistic do indicate that overall downloads/listeners are down.

Just as valuable is I think the anecdotal evidence that a number of us have mentioned in recent months. My anecdotal observation is that 100% of my friends who were listening to Podshock have stopped.

As I posted a while ago in this very thread, this is also the feedback I've been getting from various group meet ups.

[Quote  by:  MikeD] The live forums are a nice community but they are one that is of interest mainly to those who take part and a circle around them.

Mike

CORRECT - I couldn't have put it better myself! I used to be very active in this forum, what I loved about the site was the small and friendly feel about it versus the bigger forums which seemed rather daunting to a newbie to that particular site.

However, I now feel that as a result of the 'Live Podshocks' this site has lost some of it's charm, the forum seems, to a degree, to revolve around the live shows and if you're either not able to join in with the live show for what ever reason or you just don't like the live show then you don't feel part of the community. For example, just look at some of the threads after new episodes have aired with folks stating they can't wait to discuss the episodes in the live show or worse, saying they won't post what they think because they're saving it for the show. I'm not for one moment saying I wouldn't be made welcome if I was to participate in one of the live shows (I'm sure I would be) but not everybody is able to, or wants to, dial in.

Your comment in a previous post about it seeming more like a conference call now seem (to me) to hit the nail square on the head. I find this a great shame because I used to love PodShock but now, if I'm totally honest, I just skip through most episodes (i haven't bothered with any of the series 4 shows). I think the Live shows would benefit greatly from having a Time limit (say one hours), this would help to focus peoples comments and keep the show tighter. Sorry guys but I hate it when somebody joins the chat just to say they've got nothing to say other than "I thought it was a great episode" or "I wanted to say I agree with Fred's comment" etc... It seems very much that the show is being made for the small number who participate rather than the larger number of people downloading the show.

All of the above is, course, all in my most humble opinion.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 07 2008 @ 07:23 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  capricorn1]what I loved about the site was the small and friendly feel about it versus the bigger forums which seemed rather daunting to a newbie to that particular site.

with folks stating they can't wait to discuss the episodes in the live show or worse, saying they won't post what they think because they're saving it for the show.

All of the above is, course, all in my most humble opinion.

And there are others that would agree.

A couple of points to mention - this is a smaller community - there are usually only 110 to 120 active posters.

The Live podcast this week had over 100 callers.

The Live podcast is only a few hours after the airring of the episode - less than a day - so it doesn't stop people holding back for long. In fact many 'listenners' will say they have 'only just' finnished watching the episode as the cast starts.

And all this 'bunching' around the podcast is only for the 13 weeks of the UK airring ...no doubt things will move back to the LIVE show only being every two weeks.

It is a pity that the times won't suit everybody - but when Louis offered a second slot for the US screenings - not that many new people showed up.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Thursday, July 10 2008 @ 09:34 PM EDT
    this past Sunday was the first time I've been able to listen to the LIVE Podcast actually LIVE! I had a lot of fun, watching the chatting (until I gave in and JOINED in) and listening to the behind the scenes at the beginning before it all kicked off. Unfortunately I was sitting in the airport waiting for a delayed flight, so I didn't get to listen to the whole thing and didn't get the chance to join the queue to talk before they let us get onto the plane and take off (only five hours late on a three hour flight to NYC, not bad - but I would have rather waited at home - only five miles from the airport - than in an airport with the rest of humanity!)

Still -- tech problems aside, a fun time!

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, July 11 2008 @ 03:32 AM EDT
    Is there going to be a Season 4 "roundup" episode of PodshockLive like there was last year for Season 3?

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." — JNT, 1986

Friday, July 11 2008 @ 04:57 AM EDT
    maybe we should so that in a few weeks/months? (after the live shows have been uploaded to the main feed?) or maybe after the Jupmcon tour?

give us a chance to mull over the whole season/series and then see them all with fresh eyes.

I'd promise to join in but given the state of my pc (and now my dead ipod too!!!! Frown ) I cant promise to join you all. (which REALLY annoys me)

Guest Host on the WHOCAST

Saturday, July 12 2008 @ 05:09 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] Is there going to be a Season 4 "roundup" episode of PodshockLive like there was last year for Season 3?

Well, I thought we could have combined in last week's live show... But if we had, it would probably have been a 6 hour podcast, as it were, it was close to 3.

Ken and I discussed doing it this weekend, but I think Michael (Tin Dog) has tuned into our thought process. So perhaps we will schedule it after a little respite. It won't be this week (tomorrow) and next week is JumpCon Boston. So perhaps sometime after that though.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Saturday, July 12 2008 @ 05:18 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  shockeye07] I really enjoy listening to the podacasts but Louis, do you think you could turn up the volume on your microphone this week ? sometimes I can barely hear you. I download the show off Talk shoe & listen on my iPod.

Is it that low on the Talkshoe recordings? I hadn't realize since I haven't had the chance to listen to any of their recordings yet.

It's a shame since I am now not sure if I will ever have put this series of live shows through post production as was originally planned in the beginning of it.

I am simply telling people to grab them off the live feed at this point.

Hmm...

Oh well, I need to decide what I am going to do with all these live shows as far as post-production goes.

My audio should have been better in the last few weeks. As I had discovered that I had moved the microphone at some point on its boom and it was being misdirected. It is corrected now though.

Cheers,
    Louis

Saturday, July 12 2008 @ 05:43 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] ...
    I wonder sometimes if we're really still a podcast or just a publicly accessible conference call. While that call is still fun, It bothers me somewhat to hear the Podshock Live! recordings being referred to as, simply, "Podshock", cause they're not the same animal, any more than a kitten is a lion.

As previously reported, Doctor Who: Podshock will have its spin off podcast exclusively for live over-the-net shows. This was going to be Doctor Who: Podshock Unbound... but essentially it has been put on a hold for the time being. Meanwhile the live shows since April (this year's series reviews) will be rolled up into the separate live feed (either the existing Talkshoe feed or the Unbound one) and be renamed Doctor Who: Podshock LIVE. So it will have it's on identity in so far that it is the live version of the podcast.

Meanwhile the main feed will be the more "traditional" Doctor Who: Podshock podcast. It will be mostly studio shows, but will also include the live IN PERSON shows we do in front of a live audience. Such as those at I-CON and Gallifrey and the upcoming JumpCon ones. Perhaps an occasional SPECIAL live over-the-net show here and there.

This way those that are not intereseted in the live over-the-net shows, won't have them on the same feed as the regular show. Those interested in the live over-the-net shows will need to subscribe to them either on the Talkshoe RAW feed or possibly a forthcoming separate live feed (which may have more finished versions of them on it).

We are hoping this solution will provide the best of all worlds for everyone.

Now that the 2008 series (AKA "Series 4") has come to an end, and with that so have our live podcasts reviewing them, we can now focus more on the studio shows again.

Cheers,
    Louis

Saturday, July 12 2008 @ 06:38 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    Oh well, I need to decide what I am going to do with all these live shows as far as post-production goes.

Cheers,
    Louis

Don't do anything more that for iTunes than put up the PodShock standard image with maybe a different number for each and a 20 second disclaimer at the beginning of each 'rough, ready & raw'

I would be happy to do some basic 'cleanup' work on any if you wish - though I'd need a way to get the 'tweeked' audio back to you.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Sunday, July 13 2008 @ 04:08 AM EDT
    [Quote  BY = daveac]

I would be happy to do some basic 'cleanup' work on any if you wish - though I'd need a way to get the 'tweeked' audio back to you.

Cheers, daveac

Check out www.drop.io where you can get 100mb of free space which can be used to transfer files, or for $10 a year you can have 1GB

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 13 2008 @ 07:00 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  capricorn1]
    Check out www.drop.io where you can get 100mb of free space which can be used to transfer files, or for $10 a year you can have 1GB

I've just joined 'ADrive' which gives me 50Gig of space for file - which I can mark for sharing.

Here's a test file - please let me know if this works people - it's a 1 minute mp3 promo for CIA (500k):-

CIApromo

Cheers, daveac

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored