The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    CBC Newspaper Ad for The Long Game
    CBC Newspaper Ad for The Long Game
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who: Podshock »  LIVE Podcast
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    LIVE Podcast Views: 37713
     Wednesday, April 18 2007 @ 01:06 PM EDT

Ooooo! Asking people to hold their tongue for a week after their most anticipated program has aired is tantamount to torture. I still remember how tortured James was when he had seen a series two episode before Ken and Louis, and tried not to spoil it for them during the recording of the then current episode of Podshock.

It is unfortunate that we live in the ADD era where it is no longer the flavor of the month, or even day, but flavor of the minute. Most people want 'it' now, and if they don't have 'it' in front of them, they will search 'it' out elsewhere. Whatever 'it' is.

If the live discussion doesn't work for you due to scheduling, there is no reason why you can't submit feedback for inclusion in a later show. (Louis, maybe we can have an audio feedback tacked onto the end of the review podcast, in the post-produced version for comments on the prior week's discussion/episode.) And, of course, there is always the forum here on the site. You can potentially interact with more people and go into minutia that could never be covered in the podcast.

As Louis said, it is very difficult to get a worldwide audience call-in show scheduled. By its very nature, Doctor Who is inseparably British, and we were diminished by James's absence last week to give us a British perspective on the episode.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, April 18 2007 @ 10:01 PM EDT
    Okay, a week is definitely too much to ask, but maybe later in Sunday or possibly Monday?

Sunday, April 22 2007 @ 11:37 PM EDT
    this is strange, can't download any of the podshock live casts from the talk shoe website tonight. tried the current one (77) then the older ones, nothing.
    Tried from the rss feed then their website using Opera.
    Now I can't get even get their page up at all using IE7.

http://members.cox.net/rengobnor/ ..... Yahoo messenger -- rengob_nor

Sunday, April 22 2007 @ 11:42 PM EDT

Yeah, I just checked and you are correct. I suspect it is just a TalkShoe hiccup. I was able to download today's recording (#77) earlier today. Try again later perhaps.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Sunday, April 22 2007 @ 11:46 PM EDT
    yeah, the built in player on this site is not working either. Will try later, thanks

Sunday, April 22 2007 @ 11:49 PM EDT
    by the way, do you get an mp3 version from talkshoe for later editing or can you get a lossless recording for better quality from them for later editing?

Monday, April 23 2007 @ 10:45 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tardisious] by the way, do you get an mp3 version from talkshoe for later editing or can you get a lossless recording for better quality from them for later editing?

It's a MP3... The quality is not the greatest to start with, so a lossless file may not be that big of a difference in this case.

Cheers,
    Louis

Monday, April 23 2007 @ 12:34 PM EDT
    I wonder if it's possible to take down the "raw" versions of the episodes from Talkshoe as each completed episode is made available here and on OG? I've heard from a few local people who are a bit confused about there being two seemingly different versions of episode 73 available for download.

Also, is there a way to better label the episodes on Talkshoe so that people can tell what they're about (round table, episode title) before downloading.

Mike

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, April 23 2007 @ 01:27 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  MikeD] I wonder if it's possible to take down the "raw" versions of the episodes from Talkshoe as each completed episode is made available here and on OG? I've heard from a few local people who are a bit confused about there being two seemingly different versions of episode 73 available for download.

There was some call by listeners to get the new episode reviews ASAP without having to wait for post-production. So the episodes available via TalkShoe are the rough and raw versions which are made available almost immediately after recording. Once the finished episode after post work is complete on it, the raw are replaced with the finished polished version on TalkShoe and the finished versions are put on the main feeds. There is no way to take down episode from TalkShoe at this time (no delete option). Thankfully, we can replace the raw versions with the finished versions though.

[Quote  by:  MikeD]
    Also, is there a way to better label the episodes on Talkshoe so that people can tell what they're about (round table, episode title) before downloading.

Mike

The descriptions are fairly simple on TalkShoe. Far more simplified than the finished podcast descriptions on the main feeds and here on our site. I am guessing you mean the title of the episode itself. I suppose we can add the Doctor Who episode title we are reviewing in the podcast episode title. It will get rather long though. I am not sure if TalkShoe puts any limitations on title length. But as for the episode descriptions, I am not sure how much clearer they can be than what they are now. TalkShoe requires you click the little info button ( i ) to see the description... perhaps that is why it is confusing. I will see if we can add the DW episode titles to the podcast titles there.

Cheers,
    Louis

Monday, April 23 2007 @ 02:09 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]There was some call by listeners to get the new episode reviews ASAP without having to wait for post-production. So the episodes available via TalkShoe are the rough and raw versions which are made available almost immediately after recording. Once the finished episode after post work is complete on it, the raw are replaced with the finished polished version on TalkShoe and the finished versions are put on the main feeds. There is no way to take down episode from TalkShoe at this time (no delete option). Thankfully, we can replace the raw versions with the finished versions though.

Ok. Definitely not suggesting that you stop posting the raw versions right after we do them, just looking for a way to better explain to some people what's happening. Good to learn that the versions still on Talkshoe are being replaced replaced with the finished product and that there are not ever two versions available at the same time. Maybe of the raw versions were called "previews" or something similar.

[Quote  by:  Louis]The descriptions are fairly simple on TalkShoe. Far more simplified than the finished podcast descriptions on the main feeds and here on our site. I am guessing you mean the title of the episode itself. I suppose we can add the Doctor Who episode title we are reviewing in the podcast episode title. It will get rather long though. I am not sure if TalkShoe puts any limitations on title length. But as for the episode descriptions, I am not sure how much clearer they can be than what they are now. TalkShoe requires you click the little info button ( i ) to see the description... perhaps that is why it is confusing. I will see if we can add the DW episode titles to the podcast titles there.

The difficulty comes from this being a situation that is easier to understand that to explain.

I think people who are regulars on this forum know what is going on and for people who just download from OG/iTunes it doesn't really matter but there is a group in the middle who are confused. People who tend to download from this site but are not active members of the forum or do not listen to every episode. They see the Talkshoe links not are not totally following what is happening. The friends who have contacted me fall into this category. Maybe a sticky post at the top of the main page above the latest episode that briefly explains the system while series three is running.

Mike

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, April 23 2007 @ 05:57 PM EDT

Yeah, it can be very confusing. We will do something to get a better handle on it all.

Cheers,
    Louis

Tuesday, April 24 2007 @ 12:16 AM EDT
    I haven't read through the Live Podcast thread yet, so if this has been answered already, I apologize.

I just noticed that in the little flash player on the Podshock page it shows an episode 74, 76, and 77. But my iTunes Podshock is still sitting at episode 73. Is the Flash player showing programs that are not edited for iTunes yet? Or is something wrong with the main feed?

Thanks.
    -L

/-edit-/

I just noticed that the main Podshock page only shows episode 73 as the most recent Podshock, so I'm assuming the feed is correct and the flash player is showing something else.

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, April 24 2007 @ 12:30 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Linquel] I haven't read through the Live Podcast thread yet, so if this has been answered already, I apologize.

I just noticed that in the little flash player on the Podshock page it shows an episode 74, 76, and 77. But my iTunes Podshock is still sitting at episode 73. Is the Flash player showing programs that are not edited for iTunes yet? Or is something wrong with the main feed?...

You got it, what you are seeing are the raw live recordings in the flash player (they are also available via the TalkShoe web site). These are raw recordings prior to any post production work. Once they are processed in post, they appear on the main feeds (i.e. iTunes and alike).

The raw unpolished recordings are being offered for those that rather not wait for the finished podcasts that eventually make their way to the main feeds.

Cheers,
    Louis

Sunday, April 29 2007 @ 12:05 AM EDT

There seems to be serious issues with the TalkShoe site this evening (Saturday evening). I haven't been able to connect to it at all. If this continues tomorrow, we may have to postpone our 1pm (EDT) live recording of our review of Evolution of the Daleks until TalkShoe is back on it's feet again.

Cheers,
    Louis

Sunday, May 06 2007 @ 03:03 AM EDT

Sometime around 12PM ET TalkShoe experincend some problems, as yet unresolved. Unable to login and also the RSS feeds are down Cry . Was able to dial in to a TalkShoe confrence but as the other services are down (at this time) you would be unable to record a show using their software.

Just an FYI if you are getting problems whe you are trying to get in later today.

Cheers,
    Mike M.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored