The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Deep Breath' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 24th
  • BBC One 'Deep Breath' Promotional Advertisement Video [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 306 - Interviews with Ian Marter and Sarah Sutton
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Talking Davros
    Talking Davros
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who: Podshock »  LIVE Podcast
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    LIVE Podcast Views: 38870
     Tuesday, May 29 2007 @ 07:23 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Linquel] Is that something about the Talk Shoe site itself? Or is the original raw feed a much lower bitrate? Or is it the way each person connects into the system? I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but maybe the technology just isn't there yet.

Neutral

Older Podcasts ie. 70 and earlier show as 64k bits per sec - and Talkshoe recorded ones seem to be at 56k bits per second.

Of course some people are calling in via 'phone' 'Skype Out' or by Gismo 'VOiP'

I think if there is an option to record at 64k that might help - but whilst there are new weekly episodes to 'review' I think is the best way to get the 'recordings' out there.

And of course each week - as this is open to 'all comers' - there will be people (like myself) unsure of any 'tweeks' they can make at their end.

I noticed this week that my contribution sounded 'acceptable' for Podcast via Gizmo - but when I joined 'CIA' afterwards it was much poorer - and it was suggested I switched to Skype Out. Even when I did that the qualtiy was only improved a little.

With CIA though there were maybe 6 or 7 'open mics' rather than Podshocks 4 or so.

I don't know what else to suggest but I doubt Louis could churn out 'studio' Podcasts evey week.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, May 29 2007 @ 07:26 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Linquel]

You fell asleep during a recording? Big Grin Is it mentioned in the show? If so, I haven't gotten to that part yet. Is it in 77 or 78 or one of the later ones not yet feed released? That's funny.

I must have been whilst I was rabbiting on Frown

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Tuesday, May 29 2007 @ 09:02 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac] Louis - thanks for working overtime and getting out Podshocks 77 and 78.

I noticed when it got to my bit my picture was included - and that's fine by me - I think I sent you one when I did my first 'Feedback' about the HydeFundraisers.

But the picture seemed pixalated and appart from the obvious (a picture of me doing the damage) the quality doesn't sit right with all your other picture links etc.

Can you comfirm what size works best? it looks like 300x300 - and any file size limit ie. 20k or whatever.

Hi Dave,

That was my fault. I do apologize. I thought I had a better quality photo which I had used in the past for previous feedback segment of yours... but I couldn't find it. I figured I may have saved it off on a DVD disc as I often have to do with these files I amass for the podcast... So I had used a 120x120 icon size pic I had handy of you in the meantime. But my intent was to find the better quality picture before finalizing and sending them out.

Now that you reminded me, I bet I still have them attached to your email message you sent me. I need to fetch it from my email again.

Once again, I do apologise.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Tuesday, May 29 2007 @ 09:20 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Linquel] I haven't read through this thread at all, so I don't know if this has been commented on already or not. As much as I enjoy the idea of the round-table podcast discussing the previous night's episode, the loss in sound quality is kinda turning me off. I'm about 50 minutes into episode 77 and Louis has some kind of buzzing distortion, the levels on the various guests are very different (some real loud, some real quiet), and the overall quality is a lot lower. Is that something about the Talk Shoe site itself? Or is the original raw feed a much lower bitrate? Or is it the way each person connects into the system? I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but maybe the technology just isn't there yet.

Neutral

Yeah, it is the quality we are getting from Talkshoe. It is a little baffling as I have heard other podcasts using TalkShoe getting better quality. But yeah. I too find the audio quality to be very frustrating. It is a great service otherwise. But I would be willing to pay for a service (currently TalkShoe is free) if the quality was better.

We will be doing 'studio' podcasts again soon. The main reason we haven't done much recently is due to scheduling, having so many previously recorded podcasts backlogged in post production, and being tied up doing the live shows.

I love the live interaction. We will continue to use TalkShoe to do live shows in some capacity even after the new series comes to close (albeit it may not be weekly). But the audio quality is not really where I would like it to be. To make matters worse, we are all recorded on a single track which makes trying to correct and compensate for the audio quality in post production harder as whatever filtering you may apply to the track, effects all the voices -- so what may aid one voice can make another voice sound even worse.

Ken was unavailable for a few weeks as he was moving into a new home. James is now finishing up school and his schedule is a bit tight. But I suspect in a couple weeks, our three schedules may open up a bit for us to get back to doing 'studio' recordings again on a regular basis in which the audio quality will be back to what you are used to with Doctor Who: Podshock. We do have so much to catch up on, especially with feedback and least we not forget or put off the promo contest any further.

In the meantime, things may get worse before they better as after episode 79, the following live podcasts that follow will all be "rough, ready, and raw" -- in other words, they will be going out without any post production work... as-is. Eek! (this was decided as the only way to catch up with all the post-production backlog).

Cheers,
    Louis

Tuesday, May 29 2007 @ 09:24 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] I know it didn't start till after we started recording, because one of the last memories I have before I (again) fell asleep at the mic was asking in chat whether anyone else could hear the static. It always happens though in every recording, and sometimes it's really noisy enough that it makes it hard for me to completely hear what everyone's saying. ...

Yes, I remember when you asked that in chat. Many of us replied that we were also hearing it... but I had no idea you nodded out after that point. LOL !

Well, the live recording for June 10th should be a more reasonable time for you (in your time zone). Hopefully, you won't zonk out during that one.

Either way, we still love you.

Cheers,
    Louis

Tuesday, May 29 2007 @ 10:00 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis] It is a great service otherwise. But I would be willing to pay for a service (currently TalkShoe is free) if the quality was better.

The overall concept is great, and I would love to take part in one of the live recordings. I'm just not able to acquire the shows in time to watch and then listen/comment. And since I managed to get my wife into the show, I have to wait until we can watch them together (although, she doesn't want to watch part 1 until part 2 is also available so we can watch them back to back...I couldn't wait and secretly watched it by myself while she was out Cool ).

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, May 30 2007 @ 12:52 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac] Louis - thanks for working overtime and getting out Podshocks 77 and 78.

I noticed when it got to my bit my picture was included - and that's fine by me - I think I sent you one when I did my first 'Feedback' about the HydeFundraisers.

It is fixed in episode 79... Yep... Three podcast episodes out in two days. New record here.

I found the photo you sent me and it is included in 79. I am sorry about the pixelalated one in the previous two.

Cheers,
    Louis

Wednesday, May 30 2007 @ 01:15 AM EDT
    Whilst I love he concept of the live padcast, I really hate the quality. I listen in the car on my commute to work and it's almost impossible, its like trying to evesdrop on someones telephone conversation on an AM radio. I really miss the studio based ones.

This is no critisism of what you are doing - all of you who contribute are great, I just wish I could hear it, and I wish it was more up to date. As the quality is poor anyway, could you not just send out the raw recorings with the theme on each end?

P.S. It is of course possible that this message is a trap. If it is I can deal with it. P.P.S. I'm leaving this note in case I can't!

Wednesday, May 30 2007 @ 01:26 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  timeflight] Whilst I love he concept of the live padcast, I really hate the quality. I listen in the car on my commute to work and it's almost impossible, its like trying to evesdrop on someones telephone conversation on an AM radio. I really miss the studio based ones.

This is no critisism of what you are doing - all of you who contribute are great, I just wish I could hear it, and I wish it was more up to date. As the quality is poor anyway, could you not just send out the raw recorings with the theme on each end?

timeflight, you can get the raw files from the feed off of this page.

Doctor Who: Podshock TalkShoe page

This is the unretouched file form that generates about 30 min. after the end of the talkcast.

Cheers,
    Mike M.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Wednesday, May 30 2007 @ 03:55 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Linquel]
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical] I know it didn't start till after we started recording, because one of the last memories I have before I (again) fell asleep at the mic was asking in chat whether anyone else could hear the static.
    You fell asleep during a recording? Big Grin Is it mentioned in the show? If so, I haven't gotten to that part yet. Is it in 77 or 78 or one of the later ones not yet feed released? That's funny.
    Heh, so far I've fallen asleep before getting to the point where we open up the conversation to people in the queue twice, and before we get to the absolute end about half the time. Sometimes I've woken up before the absolute end, but not always. That's no reflection on the people speaking, but just a function of having to stay up all night just to make the beginning of the recording (which is 7am my time). It's also because I don't usually get to watch the episode until 4am Sunday morning, my time, after which I'll have just enough time to take in the Confidential and maybe cut an intro for the upcoming TalkCast in time for him to tack it on to the beginning of the recording.

On the plus side, this nasty little habit of mine means that I get to enjoy a part of these episodes as an audience member as well as a participant.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Wednesday, May 30 2007 @ 06:46 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]Heh, so far I've fallen asleep before getting to the point where we open up the conversation to people in the queue twice, and before we get to the absolute end about half the time. Sometimes I've woken up before the absolute end, but not always. That's no reflection on the people speaking, but just a function of having to stay up all night just to make the beginning of the recording (which is 7am my time). It's also because I don't usually get to watch the episode until 4am Sunday morning, my time, after which I'll have just enough time to take in the Confidential and maybe cut an intro for the upcoming TalkCast in time for him to tack it on to the beginning of the recording.

On the plus side, this nasty little habit of mine means that I get to enjoy a part of these episodes as an audience member as well as a participant.

Well I think that effort makes you a No.1 fan.

Perhaps you should add this to your avatar:- Big Grin

Cheers, daveac

Wednesday, May 30 2007 @ 09:24 AM EDT

Maybe the buzzing is Darth snoring... Wink

Maybe those in North America that have free weekend minutes should try calling TalkShoe via their cell phones. I would guess that the more IP connections simultaneously, the more issues we will have. I've been connecting via my cell, and the only issue I've had was once forgetting to charge the phone, and not being able to find the cord in time.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Wednesday, May 30 2007 @ 10:15 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  timeflight] ... As the quality is poor anyway, could you not just send out the raw recorings with the theme on each end?

That is exactly what we decided to do with the rest of the live shows starting with episode 80. Taras had suggested it for episode 80 of our podcast as I was already backlogged in post production on the other pending episodes... this enabled us to do another live show even though there was no new Doctor Who episode to review due to it being postponed a week because of Eurovision (or whatever it was). Even though it was a little rough, I thought we could pull it off every week and just do the live shows as a "rough, ready, and raw" podcast. This would actually free up time to do some ''studio' podcasts since the live shows won't be eating up valuable post production time.

So the forthcoming live episodes will be 'rough, ready, and raw' versions if you will (with respects to borrowing that term from James' other podcast) without any post production put into them (except for perhaps cover artwork).

Whereas before, we couldn't get around to doing a 'studio' recording because my time was tied up with post production work, Ken's time was tied up with moving into a new home, and now James' time is a bit strapped with finishing up his Masters' Degree... so I believe an a couple weeks we should be back on a regular routine for 'studio' recordings.

Episodes 80, 81, and 82 should go out to the main feeds by the end of this week. At which point we will be all caught up and in sync with the BBC schedule of reviewing new episodes.

Cheers,
    Louis

Wednesday, May 30 2007 @ 03:06 PM EDT
    My two cents
    I think having the live recordings available so soon is well worth the loss in quality. Given time the quality is bound to improve.
    Thanks for all you do

http://members.cox.net/rengobnor/ ..... Yahoo messenger -- rengob_nor

Thursday, May 31 2007 @ 06:01 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    [Quote  by:  timeflight] ... As the quality is poor anyway, could you not just send out the raw recorings with the theme on each end?

That is exactly what we decided to do with the rest of the live shows starting with episode 80. Taras had suggested it for episode 80 of our podcast as I was already backlogged in post production on the other pending episodes... this enabled us to do another live show even though there was no new Doctor Who episode to review due to it being postponed a week because of Eurovision (or whatever it was). Even though it was a little rough, I thought we could pull it off every week and just do the live shows as a "rough, ready, and raw" podcast. This would actually free up time to do some ''studio' podcasts since the live shows won't be eating up valuable post production time.

So the forthcoming live episodes will be 'rough, ready, and raw' versions if you will (with respects to borrowing that term from James' other podcast) without any post production put into them (except for perhaps cover artwork).

Whereas before, we couldn't get around to doing a 'studio' recording because my time was tied up with post production work, Ken's time was tied up with moving into a new home, and now James' time is a bit strapped with finishing up his Masters' Degree... so I believe an a couple weeks we should be back on a regular routine for 'studio' recordings.

Episodes 80, 81, and 82 should go out to the main feeds by the end of this week. At which point we will be all caught up and in sync with the BBC schedule of reviewing new episodes.

Cheers,
    Louis

That's fantastic news, many thanks Louis!

P.S. It is of course possible that this message is a trap. If it is I can deal with it. P.P.S. I'm leaving this note in case I can't!

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored