The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 316 - 'In the Forest of the Night' Reviewed
  • Deleted Scenes from The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: In the Forest of the Night? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Emilia meets Deborah Watling 2006
    Emilia meets Deborah Watling 2006
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who: Podshock »  Podshock 7
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Podshock 7 Views: 2270
     Friday, September 23 2005 @ 11:35 PM EDT
    Just finished listening to this new episode and really enjoyed it. I started listening with Ep 3 (and will go back and do the first two when I get the chance) and I have enjoyed them all, each has seen improvements all round, but this newest one is my favorite so far.

The pace of the show was really good and you covered a lot of different things quite nicely. I really liked hearing Chris' review of the Clockwork Man, very good review and his rating system definitely rocks Cool Sounds like a good rating system to adopt if he doesn't mind you borrowing it.

Keep up the good work guys,
    Natalie

Admiral Kristine Kochanski G.A.B. Saffron, Moonstone, Burnt Orange Team Leader http://www.gabtraders.com "O brave new world That has such people in't"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, September 24 2005 @ 01:27 AM EDT
    Thanks Natalie!

Yeah, we are improving the show as we go along... We are going to go to the Enhance Podcast probably starting with next episode (I was actually thinking of releasing Episode 7 again in the new format). With the new format, it will give you chapters within the show so you can jump to the bits you want to hear again very easily, each chapter will have it's own artwork/photo (cover art), and they can include an embedded URL... so if we are talking about another web site for example, you will be able to jump right to it by clicking the URL link (within iTunes).

Yes, I agree. I love what Chris, our new Australian corespondent, has done with his segments and love the TARDIS grinds rating system he has come up with... very ingenious! I agree, we should adopt the system for the entire show (if Chris is OK with that).

Once again, thanks Natalie... keep listening.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, September 25 2005 @ 09:17 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis] Yeah, we are improving the show as we go along... We are going to go to the Enhance Podcast probably starting with next episode (I was actually thinking of releasing Episode 7 again in the new format).

Louis,

Do you know if enhanced podcasts work any different on iPods? Obviously, I wouldn't be able to click on any links, but I wonder if the additional graphics and the like are also downloaded with the ep.

Ciotka Judi, The Polish Blonde

Sunday, September 25 2005 @ 12:42 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Satai Styx] Do you know if enhanced podcasts work any different on iPods? Obviously, I wouldn't be able to click on any links, but I wonder if the additional graphics and the like are also downloaded with the ep.

The enhanced podcast format should play on all iPods, but not all iPods will be able to take advantage of it's features. Such as only the iPods with colour screens will be able to see the photos/artwork embedded with each chapter. The later iPods (with click wheels, and I would imagine the shuffle as well) should be able to jump across the chapters... I am not sure about earlier iPods off hand now. The jumping to specific URLs embedded in the podcast would only work in iTunes (or perhaps another podcast player based on your computer as opposed to a portable digital audio player such as an iPod).

Sunday, September 25 2005 @ 03:47 PM EDT
    Thanks, Louis.

I just finished listening to P7 today, and had one comment. I don't think any of the TV series in the USA now go 24 episodes like they used to. I think they only produce 14 or so, like cable.

Sunday, September 25 2005 @ 08:56 PM EDT
    I just finished listening to your podcast, it was very well done. This is the 3rd one I have listened to and it seems to me your production values have increased with each one, very well done. One thing I would like added is the mentioning that American viewers can obtain DVDs of the new series as well as the older series plus other British Sci-Fi from various places on the internet such as ebay.co.uk. And that these can be played in region free dvd players or modded Xboxs. I love the show!

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, September 26 2005 @ 01:41 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  VewDew] ... One thing I would like added is the mentioning that American viewers can obtain DVDs of the new series as well as the older series plus other British Sci-Fi from various places on the internet such as ebay.co.uk. And that these can be played in region free dvd players or modded Xboxs. I love the show!

Thanks VewDew! We keep on trying to improve the show as we go on.. Keep on listening.

We did in a past Podshock episode (I don't recall which one now) mention that people in the US or for that matter anywhere, can obtain the region 2 DVDs in the UK and play them in either region-free players or on their computers using utilities such as the VLC media player which doesn't care which region code the disc is in and will play PAL and NTSC video without problems... and it is available for Mac, Windows, Linux, etc. platforms.

Good point about the XBox... I have a region 0, UK bought DVD of The Tripods (series one) in PAL video which plays on my (unmodded) Xbox. Granted the PAL to NTSC conversion is not as smooth as I would like, but it still works. Also it should be noted that this disc is a region 0 disc (region free), not region 2... I suppose a modded XBox would play all regions.

Anyway, since I am assuming that anyone reading the messages here or for that matter listening to our podcast, most likely has a computer, I simply just recommend the VLC player.

With that said, I still hope that the new series of Doctor Who DVDs are released here in the States as region 1, NTSC versions... But my guess is that it won't happen until after the BBC sells the series to an American broadcaster and give them first dibs on showing the series prior to releasing the DVDs here... Just a guess on my part.

Cheers,
    Louis

Monday, September 26 2005 @ 09:29 AM EDT
    Good Morning Gentlemen, I've just caught episode 7. Another really fun episode, but I'd like to add a couple of comments.

Firstly, I was so pleased that you mentioned Robert Wise. A really GREAT Director. One of my all time favourite films was the Haunting, NOT THE REMAKE!!! The original Black and white film from 1963. No Monsters, No Blood. Just sound effects and camera angles. I love horror films but this is still one of the scariest films I have seen. As you so rightly said the Actors terror s transferred to the viewer. A really Great Man.

Secondly Vid Fire. I Love it!!! Look at the video of the Aztecs, and then look at the DVD. Itís like travelling back in time to the transmission date. The nuances and the Quality of the production (Yes I did say quality) given the budget the results (warts and all) are stunning. Restoration team, Power to your elbow!!!

I'm really looking forward to Episode 8.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, September 27 2005 @ 05:17 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Satai Styx] Thanks, Louis.

I just finished listening to P7 today, and had one comment. I don't think any of the TV series in the USA now go 24 episodes like they used to. I think they only produce 14 or so, like cable.

That's actually incorrect - most USA series do in fact go to between 20-24 episodes per season - at least the ones on the 4 major networks.

Lost, Desperate Housewives, 24, Alias..all have seasons of 20-24 episodes. You may be thinking of HBO, where they usually have 13 eps. per season (The Sopranos, Six Feet Under) or possibly FX, with programs like The Shield and/or Rescue Me.

That doesn't count things like mid-season replacement shows or miniseries, obviously!

Hope that helps! Smile

I hate those comic books. They never get the eyes right.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, September 27 2005 @ 05:31 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  VewDew]One thing I would like added is the mentioning that American viewers can obtain DVDs of the new series as well as the older series plus other British Sci-Fi from various places on the internet such as ebay.co.uk. And that these can be played in region free dvd players or modded Xboxs.

There are lots of places to buy them - I'd recommend sendit.com or amazon.co.uk over ebay, as there you know what you're getting, and they're not potentially-illegal copies.

I hate those comic books. They never get the eyes right.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, September 28 2005 @ 08:04 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Cliff Shelton] That's actually incorrect - most USA series do in fact go to between 20-24 episodes per season - at least the ones on the 4 major networks.

It never seems to appear that way, however, since even the major networks "interrupt" the season by focusing new episodes during sweeps.

But then again, I don't watch any network TV. The shows they have aren't entertaining to me. My shows are on cable - all 2 of 'em.

Monday, October 03 2005 @ 02:24 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Cliff Shelton]
    There are lots of places to buy them - I'd recommend sendit.com or amazon.co.uk over ebay, as there you know what you're getting, and they're not potentially-illegal copies.

Another good one that I have used is www.bensonsworld.co.uk . Right now they have the Tripods Series 1 DVD set for £9.99.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, October 04 2005 @ 08:30 AM EDT
    After listening to P8, and having my comment read by Louis, I want to expand a bit on what I commented about. I am more familiar with the cable channels format here in the US; seasons usually run 10-14 episodes. What sucks about this format is that they only run new eps during sweeps months, to guarantee people to watch their channels.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Doctor Who was ever broadcast on a major network station (I am not counting PBS.) I know it was broadcast here on PBS in Boston (WGBH) but cancelled in the mid to late 80s.

I think that the new Doctor Who series would fit more on a cable station rather than a major network; however the one network I can see picking it up is Fox. WBS is a distant second; I would predict a cable station picking it up long before WBS would give it a try. Fox would be the best bet in my estimation.

Tuesday, October 04 2005 @ 05:42 PM EDT
    I think I may have mentioned this in Podshock 8, but one example of a cable network showing short seasons is none other than the Sci-Fi Channel. They have taken the second season of (the new) Battlestar Galactica and broken it up into two smaller seasons. They made the 'artificial' season finale for season two episode 10, which was just shown a week and half ago now... and now they will sit on the rest of the episodes made for season and show them in January, and call it another season. Ronald Moore the producer of the series is calling the artificial seasons as season 2a and season 2b... So only 10 episodes is being considered a "season" for the Sci-Fi Channel.

They may have done the same thing with Farscape as well when that was on...

I can also site other examples with other made-for-cable television series, such as Curb Your Enthusiasm, Six Feet Under, and the US version of Queer as Folk had relatively short seasons on the order of 10-14 episodes.

Whereas network shows (such as ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, etc.) still maintain the standard season format of around 20 to 26 episodes I would think... I hardly watch any these networks anymore, but that is my assumption.

As for Doctor Who I don't believe it was ever shown on a national "network" here in the US. The closest to that it has been when the first four series of Tom Baker's era were shown on the Sci-Fi Channel years ago and the same batch of episodes were shown on BBC America as well. These are both national cable/satelite channels.

Even when Doctor Who was seen on PBS stations... it wasn't on the PBS national network, but rather individual stations picked up the series on their own. Therefore it could had been seen on one PBS channel, but not another, even though they are both PBS stations. Prior to PBS stations playing the series, the Howard Da Silva narrated Tom Baker episodes were shown on various local syndicated channels across the US.

In any case, we would just like the new series to be shown in the US. As James and I had said, preferably in a way to reach the most people... it that is via a terrestrial broadcast station(s) or a national cable/satelite venue, whatever...

Personally, I would love if PBS stations would pick it up as they did more than 20 years ago, but I fear that the BBC has out-priced them out of the picture.. Most likely it probably has a greater chance being picked up by a cable/satelite channel. The most obvious place for this since the Sci-Fi Channel has turned it down would be BBC America. It just makes no sense that not even BBC America is showing it in the US.

Hopefully it will be broadcast in the US sometime (hopefully sooner rather than later)... Perhaps the Sci-Fi Channel may change their mind and pick it up... Perhaps BBC America will wake up smell the coffee (or tea) and realize what a big mistake it was for not showing the current BBC favoured show -- may I dare say 'flagship' show currently on the BBC. Just get it out there...

It makes no sense... At one point (a few years ago) if I recall correctly, I was able to catch Absolutely Fabulous on BBC America, Comedy Central, and a local PBS station all on any given week. Yet a show such as Doctor Who which has been sensational in the UK and had no problems being show in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc... is not being shown on a single channel among hundreds in the US between terrestrial, cable, and satellite.

Sorry for the soapbox reply here...

Tuesday, October 04 2005 @ 09:06 PM EDT
    Can I get an AMEN, brothers and sisters?

Wink

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages