The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Dark Water? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Ceramic Dr. Who ashtray (ca. early-1980s)
    Ceramic Dr. Who ashtray (ca. early-1980s)
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who: Podshock »  Future Live Show Topics
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Future Live Show Topics Views: 1668
     Monday, June 25 2007 @ 07:23 PM EDT

As the series finale for 2007 approaches rapidly (we will be reviewing it this weekend ('Last of the Time Lords')), and the following week a review of the entire 2007 series (AKA "Series 3"). After which, it will open the live shows to different topics relating to Doctor Who.

Although I have a few ideas in mind for the subjects of future shows, I am interested in hearing your ideas as well.

Please post any thoughts of subjects you might like to hear discussed on future live podcasts of Doctor Who: Podshock.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, June 25 2007 @ 07:40 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

As the series finale for 2007 approaches rapidly (we will be reviewing it this weekend ('Last of the Time Lords')), and the following week a review of the entire 2007 series (AKA "Series 3"). After which, it will open the live shows to different topics relating to Doctor Who.

Although I have a few ideas in mind for the subjects of future shows, I am interested in hearing your ideas as well.

Please post any thoughts of subjects you might like to hear discussed on future live podcasts of Doctor Who: Podshock.

Cheers,
    Louis

Well surely ( stop calling me Shirley Big Grin ) one of the topics must be Gallifrey - whether or not Episode 13 restores them to the Universe or not - Gallifrey and the Timelord culture (rules - regenerations - etc)

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, June 25 2007 @ 07:53 PM EDT

How about:

Big Finish free-for-all

DVD review roundtable (in depth of the latest release US/recent UK - gives Brits more time to rewatch)

may come up with other ideas later.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Saturday, July 28 2007 @ 10:10 AM EDT
    How about a review of the companions? The ones we love, the ones we dislike, and the ones that leave us indifferent. For instance, I find a similar relationship between the Doctor and Rose to that of Jo Grant and Pertwee's Doctor, and I wonder if anyone else agrees. And we could also discuss why so many people strongly dislike Adric.
    It seems like a very general topic, but it's an idea to tie us over until the next series.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 29 2007 @ 10:09 AM EDT
    How about a season by season review of the entire series (spanning several Live shows)? This would, over time, allow every era of Doctor Who to be discussed, including the highs and lows and discussion as to what was happening behind the scenes. It could also act as a great guide to new fans wanting to know more about the history of the show. How many times have you been asked how to start getting into Doctor Who? This way we could suggest the great stories of each season and suggest stories to avoid (not that any should... Not really!)

Maybe once every couple of months we could discuss a season, allowing other topics to be discussed in between and, of course, a break whilst the new series is on air.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, July 29 2007 @ 07:02 PM EDT
    What was the best tarids interior.

what villains should they bring back.

should they stop bringing back villains and make new villains.

would the show be as popular if the tardis wasn't a police box?

best dressed doctor.

worst dressed doctor.

should they kill off the daleks for good?

who was the worst companion.

who was the best companion.

"Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 30 2007 @ 06:31 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat] Big Finish free-for-all
    I like this, in principle, but would argue for somethign more focused. It might take a little more preparation for participants, but I would suggest going by Doctor or companion. How does Big Finish change your impression of a particular Doctor or companion? How how that Doctor or companion changed in audio over their televised persona? What do you like or not like about them now versus then?

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Monday, July 30 2007 @ 06:34 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Dalzo] How about a season by season review of the entire series (spanning several Live shows)? This would, over time, allow every era of Doctor Who to be discussed, including the highs and lows and discussion as to what was happening behind the scenes. It could also act as a great guide to new fans wanting to know more about the history of the show. How many times have you been asked how to start getting into Doctor Who? This way we could suggest the great stories of each season and suggest stories to avoid (not that any should... Not really!)

Maybe once every couple of months we could discuss a season, allowing other topics to be discussed in between and, of course, a break whilst the new series is on air.
    I'm a fan of this idea. A big fan. I think it'll require some dedication on the part of participants, though, especially in the first 6 seasons, where so many stories are missing. But it's a nifty project for the long haul.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Monday, July 30 2007 @ 06:37 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  VertigoMama] How about a review of the companions? The ones we love, the ones we dislike, and the ones that leave us indifferent. For instance, I find a similar relationship between the Doctor and Rose to that of Jo Grant and Pertwee's Doctor, and I wonder if anyone else agrees. And we could also discuss why so many people strongly dislike Adric.
    It seems like a very general topic, but it's an idea to tie us over until the next series.
    This is great as a one-off episode. It's easy. Not much preparation will be required, cause it's just going off the opinions we've all formed (probably) long ago. And its topical because of the game of musical companion RTD is currently playing.

Monday, July 30 2007 @ 04:17 PM EDT
    I figure I'll just throw my hat in the ring here and make a suggestion. How about a few episodes dedicated to a look at the evolution of some of the villains? Both Daleks and Cybermen have been around since the 1st Doctor's tenure and The Master has been around for decades as well. How a show dedicated to looking at one of these villains critically, discuss their evolution over the course of the show, their different relationships with different Doctors, etc. All three of these villains benefit from having been in the new series as well as we can also discuss how they have evolved in the 21st century, how the high budgets have helped (or for some fans, maybe even hurt) these iconic characters. The Daleks have had many different plots over the years and have had some minor physical changes as well. The Cybermen have physically changed many times, voices have changed, etc. And The Master has been played by 7 different actors over the span of the television show and has changed from being a cool, calculating villain, to a mustache twirling killer who would just as soon tie Nell to the rail road tracks, to what I would say was a good balance of the two in the new series, with more of The Doctor's humor in the character as well. I think these would be excellent areas to explore.

"Hero! I should have been a God!"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, July 30 2007 @ 06:58 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]
    [Quote  by:  Dalzo] How about a season by season review of the entire series (spanning several Live shows)? This would, over time, allow every era of Doctor Who to be discussed, including the highs and lows and discussion as to what was happening behind the scenes. It could also act as a great guide to new fans wanting to know more about the history of the show. How many times have you been asked how to start getting into Doctor Who? This way we could suggest the great stories of each season and suggest stories to avoid (not that any should... Not really!)

I'm a fan of this idea. A big fan. I think it'll require some dedication on the part of participants, though, especially in the first 6 seasons, where so many stories are missing. But it's a nifty project for the long haul.

This topic could almost be broken down to a point where a new feed might be needed. I like the idea either as a season by season or in the extreme case episode by episode breakdown of clasic Who. As Darth says it would take dedication for the fans to go into those first 6 series, but in the long run I believe it would be a fantastic tribute to what came before. When we look at what was lost, through policy and shortsightedness then all Sci-Fi and quality programing can (hopefully) learn from our 'Long View' of this wonderful history.

Bring it on.

Cheers,
    Mike M.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Monday, July 30 2007 @ 07:01 PM EDT

When you think about it, it is only seasons 3-5 that are a problem, the other three are more or less intact (especially season two which is only missing episodes 2&4 of "The Crusade")) I take your point though!!!

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, August 14 2007 @ 02:11 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  merlin_mccarley]

This topic could almost be broken down to a point where a new feed might be needed. I like the idea either as a season by season or in the extreme case episode by episode breakdown of clasic Who. As Darth says it would take dedication for the fans to go into those first 6 series, but in the long run I believe it would be a fantastic tribute to what came before. When we look at what was lost, through policy and shortsightedness then all Sci-Fi and quality programing can (hopefully) learn from our 'Long View' of this wonderful history.

Bring it on.

Cheers,
    Mike M.
    Maybe we should do a test to see how it would go? Perhaps we could agree on a single story from the past to dissect as if it were one of the stories from last season. Something widely available but not covered by other groups like MMM Commentaries. Maybe "The Aztecs" or "Seeds of Death" or something? Or should we just plunge right in and do a "true" test case of Series 1? That way if we did it, and it worked out well, it'd already be in the can and we could proceed onward.

Tuesday, August 14 2007 @ 07:42 AM EDT
    As Louis suggested - here is the idea I posted in the wrong thread (LIVE Podcast) again:-

'Hi Louis - you wanted suggestions for the next Podshock Live recording - which I think you've numbered 95, although if you are alternating with Studios one's I thought it would more likely be number 96.

I think I did mention something like this before but can't remember such an episode happenning (perhaps I even said it on CIA)

Anyway the topic idea is:-

'My Dr Who Collecting Mania'

In Darth's voice :-)

'Whether your collection is just a small number of books and videos or an all encompassing catalogue that includes everything from a replica of the second Doctor's recorder to Rose's Union Jack T-shirt or from a Slitheen Whoopie cushion to a Tardis USB Hub - confess to your passion and seek absolution amonsed like-minded friends.....It's Dr Who Podshock!'

Cheers, daveac

PS I only basically have books and DVDs'

AND Louis replied:-

'Due to scheduling conflicts, we may not record a studio show next week... that is why the next live show is numbered 95. Of course that could change if we do manage to record a studio show within that time period.

Be sure to put the Live show topic suggestions in the other thread asking about it... Only because I will probably only refer to that thread when looking for suggestions.

Collecting and collectables is a valid topic, one that can be explored perhaps in a show. Though I wonder if we would risk alienating listeners that are fans of the series, but have no interest in the merchandising / collecting aspects of being a fan.

But hey, we could tackle it for show.

Cheers,
    Louis'

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Wednesday, August 15 2007 @ 11:59 PM EDT
    Perhaps it might be easier to instead of a season by season anaylsis perhaps doing a Doctor by Doctor analysis where we critically analyze one of the Doctors for an episode starting with Hartnell and working towards Tennant. What worked in the era, what didn't work, what companions worked or didn't, stories, etc. This also gives us a chance to weigh in on the different unique qualities that each Doctor had, such as K-9 with Tom Baker, Kamelion with Peter Davison, UNITs heavy involvement with Jon Pertwee, the Hartnell era's many historical stories, the turbulence in both Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy's eras, and so forth. The early on mid-season regeneration that brought about Patrick Troughton, theres just so many different things worth discussing to look at the ups and downs of the show in each of these eras, and perhaps maybe get some of the listeners to hear the up sides of all the different Doctors and get some listeners to even go back and reexamine eras of the show and find the good that comes from them.

"Hero! I should have been a God!"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed