The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Dark Water? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    David Warwick
    David Warwick
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who: Podshock »  Podshock 8
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Podshock 8 Views: 1133
     Friday, September 30 2005 @ 04:05 AM EDT
    I am in the USA and like to say something on you Doctor Who fan comment I an a big fan of it and i think i first found out about Dortor Who on the come back to BBC 1 in early 2004 and since then i have keep up with news with you podshock which sometimes i do not like (SPOLERS) I see all number 9 Doctor who or season 27

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, September 30 2005 @ 04:32 AM EDT
    Hi Hab,

We try to stay conscience to the fact that not everyone has seen the 9th Doctor series (season 27 if you will) yet... so we do try to give spoiler warnings, but I suppose we may slip now and then, and for that we do apologise.

Hopefully the new episodes will be shown in the U.S. some time... hopefully soon... as soon as we learn anything, we will share it with our listeners and readers here on our site.

If you don't want to wait, there's always the DVD option, though it will be the region 2 UK DVDs which in the US can only be viewed using a region free DVD player and/or using your computer with software such as the VLC Media Player (see our links section under Tech). Hopefully we in the U.S. will have region 1 DVDs of the new series as well, but I fear we may not see that until after some network picks it up and broadcasts it in the U.S. first.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, October 04 2005 @ 08:22 AM EDT
    Hey Louis and James,

Just finished listening to Ep 8 on my way to work this morning. I like the enhanced podcast feature, especially the chapters. I'll be playing with that when I get my own podcast up and running.

BTW, yes, you did pronounce "Satai Styx" correctly. Big Grin

Ciotka Judi, The Polish Blonde

Tuesday, October 04 2005 @ 04:42 PM EDT
    Big Grin Thanks Satai...

It is good to know that you and others are taking advantage of the features included in the Enhanced Podcast format. The chapters are especially useful I have found... If I need to review a particular segment within the show, I can jump right to it. This is great since our episodes are typically around an hour in length (give or take), it makes finding where you what to be fairly easy.

Keep us posted on your podcast. Very cool.

Cheers,
    Louis

Friday, October 21 2005 @ 03:00 AM EDT
    Alright, my name's Steven E. McDonald, author...also known as David Alexander McDonald, composer/musician and sound designer. At some point in my life I wass a candidate to join the BBC Radiophonic Workshop (may it long be mourned.)

While I was sad to see the passing of Robert Moog, who really did make some significant strides in sound synthesis (as well as in sampling, during his time working for Ray Kurzweil; he also revived the Theremin), giving the world that most overused of toys, the MiniMoog.

However, ascribing the achievements of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop to Moog's developments is insanely off the mark -- he had little to nothing to do with most of the music and sound work emerging from the BBC Radiophonic Workshop during the course of its existence -- indeed, when Doctor Who first hit the airwaves, Moog was still stringing things together in his lab, and the most significant synthesizer effort to that point was living in several rooms at Princeton University.

The BBC Radiophonic Workshop utilised techniques deveoped by musique concrete composers and performers (involving tape manipulation and jerry-built sound generators and some extremely wild mixing adventures to merge sounds and create such effects as the TARDIS flight sound.) The people populating the Workshop were quite capable of building their own sound generators -- sin, triangle, sawtooth oscillators, white and pink noises generators, and sound manipulation circuits, such as filters, equalizers and, egad, ring modulators!

The ring modulator was not created by Robert Moog. You can ascribe a lot of things to Moog, but the humble ring modulator isn't one of them. The sources for the sounds emerging from the Workshop can't be ascribed to him either.

The first Moog synthesizers to turn up in the UK arrived in 1968 and 1969 -- the Beatles had the first unit in England, in fact. The BBC Radiophonic Workshop never invested in Moog equipment to my recollection (and you can probably confirm a lot of this with Mark Ayres, who's quite the historian on this.) The synthesizers that the BBC finally did start acquiring actually came from EMS (Electro-Music Studios) and consisted of a handful of VCS-3 and Synthi A/AKS systems (the Synthi A was my introduction to synthesizers from a working standpoint, and the introduction came via one of the key people in the Workshop; eventually they acquired a Synthi 100, which was designed with Radiophonic Workshop input. As time went by they added other brands, and I wouldn't be surprised if individual members of the Workshop had Moog units (especially when the fully multitimbral units came out; the big Studio C3 units could only do two notes at a time, the MiniMoog was monophonic.)

The simple truth of it, though, is that Moog didn't invent the ring modulator; he used an RM circuit in his modular systems -- hell, the EMS systems included it as a matter of course. Robert Moog is not the reason for the existence of the traditional Dalek voice.

This was so jarring and annoying, considering your focus, and so revelatory of a lack of research and knowledge, that I doubt I'll want to devote my time to any of your future podcasts.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, October 21 2005 @ 03:22 AM EDT
    The BBC have been pushing the new series hard in the US, and nobody has been biting. They've priced it out of reach of the PBS stations for the moment, SciFi didn't want it (you have to keep in mind that Universal owns SciFI, and there are memories of the failure of the TV movie), they couldn't generate a syndication deal, no network is going to be interested if they don't have control in some way (and besides, it's British *rolls eyes*), and BBC America passed because Auntie isn't actually THAT in control of the channel -- it's actually directed more by the Discovery Channel group.

Most likely where it should be aimed is the Starz group -- Action or Edge (where the TV movie is being shown right now.)

Fundamentally, the people in charge of prgramming for the majority of US networks, whether traditional or cables, are idiots. But we knew that. In the meantime, grab the R1 DVDs when they come out in Canada and make Warner Bros (who distribute BBC Video in the US) all tense and pissy.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, October 21 2005 @ 10:28 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  wyldemusick]
    The simple truth of it, though, is that Moog didn't invent the ring modulator; he used an RM circuit in his modular systems -- hell, the EMS systems included it as a matter of course. Robert Moog is not the reason for the existence of the traditional Dalek voice.

This was so jarring and annoying, considering your focus, and so revelatory of a lack of research and knowledge, that I doubt I'll want to devote my time to any of your future podcasts.

Hi Steven, please accept our apologies. No offense was intended obviously. The information we had were researched through the net and perhaps that information was flawed. We meant no disrespect to the hard working sound designers that have been working arduously and innovating throughout the series.

We appreciate you taking the time to shed more information on the situation here.

We do try to do the best we can under the time restraints we have to contend with doing the podcast. All of use involved in the show are working other full time jobs and juggling various other different projects at once while producing Podshock. There is no staff to rely on... and we rely on information at our disposable to pass on to our listeners. It means there may be errors and if so, we try to correct or make mends for them if possible.

I hope you continue to listen and I hope you continue to be active here on the forums.

Thanks again.

Cheers, Louis

Friday, October 21 2005 @ 10:37 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  wyldemusick] ...

Most likely where it should be aimed is the Starz group -- Action or Edge (where the TV movie is being shown right now.)

Fundamentally, the people in charge of prgramming for the majority of US networks, whether traditional or cables, are idiots. But we knew that. In the meantime, grab the R1 DVDs when they come out in Canada and make Warner Bros (who distribute BBC Video in the US) all tense and pissy.

That is a good point. Wasn't also Starz that showed The New Avengers series. Starz has been very good in regards of showing TVM with Paul McGann.... now on Edge, but previously on their Mystery channel. And what better way to see Doctor Who in the US -- commercial free (just like the days of PBS of years ago). The only drawback is that it does limit the accessibility a bit since not all cable carriers carry the Starz channels. But as you say, there's the region 1 DVDs which will now be available through Canada.

Monday, October 24 2005 @ 04:37 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis] Hi Hab,

We try to stay conscience to the fact that not everyone has seen the 9th Doctor series (season 27 if you will) yet... so we do try to give spoiler warnings, but I suppose we may slip now and then, and for that we do apologise.

Hopefully the new episodes will be shown in the U.S. some time... hopefully soon... as soon as we learn anything, we will share it with our listeners and readers here on our site.

If you don't want to wait, there's always the DVD option, though it will be the region 2 UK DVDs which in the US can only be viewed using a region free DVD player and/or using your computer with software such as the VLC Media Player (see our links section under Tech). Hopefully we in the U.S. will have region 1 DVDs of the new series as well, but I fear we may not see that until after some network picks it up and broadcasts it in the U.S. first.

Cheers,
    Louis

Region 1 discs are coming to Canada in February 2006...

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Monday, October 24 2005 @ 04:53 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    [Quote  by:  Louis] Hi Hab,

Cheers,
    Louis

Region 1 discs are coming to Canada in February 2006...

Taras

Yes! We are all excited about that news. Obviously, I posted that original message before that news broke.

Cheers,
    Louis

Monday, October 24 2005 @ 06:54 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    The information we had were researched through the net and perhaps that information was flawed. We meant no disrespect to the hard working sound designers that have been working arduously and innovating throughout the series.

The way it came across to me was that it completely dismissed the work (and existence) of people like Delia Derbyshire (who executed Ron Grainer's theme for the series), Desmond Briscoe, Dave Young, Dick Mills, John Baker, Paddy Kingsland, Bryan Hodgson (who was the gentleman who introduced me to the Workshop) and many others.

I have to wonder about the amount of research you did, as much of the information is available on the web and Mark Ayers is quite the historian when it comes to this (and was single-handedly responsible for saving 12 years worth of recordings from the BBCRW) and it's hardly obscure.

Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Radiophonic_Workshop

and a highly opinionated piece: http://www.elidor.freeserve.co.uk/radiophonic.htm (I agree with many of the points; he doesn't specifically beat up Mark Ayres for the hoirrble music he recorded for the 7th Doctor seasons, but the suggestion is there -- I think Ayres gets forgiven for his archivist functions.)

And if you can find a copy of "Alchemists Of Sound", a BBC documentary about the Workshop, you'll get some serious insights into what they did. http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/music/features/alchemists.shtml -- play the Delia Derbyshire clip (I had a crush on Derbyshire for years.)

Moog is actually mentioned in the documentary, in reference to the influx of synthesizers (Walter Carlos is also on deck.) Again, thre is no indication that he had any more connection or influence than Milton Babbitt did (in fact, Babbitt may have had more of an effect, but no more than Karl-Heinz Stockhausen and the French musique concrete pioneers.)

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored