The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Timelord Costume
    Timelord Costume
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who: Podshock »  SciFi Now Issue 2
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    SciFi Now Issue 2 Views: 931
     Thursday, July 19 2007 @ 10:47 PM EDT
    Well SciFi Now seems to be paying attention to what you guys are up to as you get mentioned AGAIN in the mag on page 91 of their sceond issue along with the Official Lost and Battlestar Galactica podcasts and the Torchwood: Two Torchcast.

I thought this review was a little harsh, the show isn't done by professional broadcasters and their only other real complaint seems to be that the show is in-depth and detailed.

Doctor Who Podshock

Take it from us, if you only have a passing interest in the Doctor and his various trials and tribulations then steer well clear of Podshock.

It's almost scarily in depth.

Hosted by the pleasant if slightly dull Ken Deep in collaberation with the amusingly camp Louis Trapani, the podcast focuses on intense Who-based discussion, along with show reviews, cast and crew interviews and listener interaction.

Episode 71 opens with a jubilant panel dissecting the news that season 4 has been commissioned by the BBC.

And dissect it they do, delving into the kind of detail that will bewilder anyone but the true hardcore fan.

After a slightly long-winded chat the boys play a feed of an interview with show writer Steven Moffat, taken from the recent Gallifrey 2007 convention in LA.

As with everything in Podshock, it's failrly heavy going, but again, this a show that refuses to cater to everyone.

The following episode is somewhat of an collector's item, in that the panel host in front of a live studio audience in New York.

The atmosphere generated by a live crowd gives this particular Podshock an alomst Top Gear-esque vibe, albeit without the biting sarcasm of a Clarkson or May.

For the hardcore there's an interview with author John Peel from I-Con and an indepth discussion ( no suprise there ).

You already know if you like Podshock.

It's good, but by God it's not for everyone.

Three out of Five Stars

Details: Episodes 71/72, 98//83mins// 3/8 April
    www.gallifreyanembassy.org

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, July 20 2007 @ 01:31 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Shayne_A] the amusingly camp Louis Trapani

*giggle*

Mr. Green

Pat

"Don't play as if you've swallowed the metronome!" -- Nadia Boulanger
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Friday, July 20 2007 @ 01:41 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Shayne_A] the amusingly camp Louis Trapani

Oh, my! Oops!

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Friday, July 20 2007 @ 03:11 PM EDT

Well... hey, at least you are assured of getting a full course meal with our podcast. Though I am not saying there is nothing wrong with a light snack or fast food either per say... As with different types of food, not everything is for everyone. What is after all?

We've included shorter interviews, perhaps less in-depth if you will in some episodes.. they even mention one, the Steve Moffat interview.

So obviously this listener does not care for in-depth interviews. Which is fine. Fair enough.

The New York Times can not cater to everyone, nor does The New York Post. Yet, they both have their respective audiences, probably with very little overlap. You could say that each of these papers "refuses to cater to everyone" as well.

Cheers,
    Louis

Camp? Eek! Big Grin

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Friday, July 20 2007 @ 05:05 PM EDT
    I don't for a second suppose this crap would put Louis/Ken/James off the way they do things - and nor should it. It's a Doctor Who Podcast for Doctor Who fans - so what exactly does this tw*t want???

Maybe we could do a 5 minute round up of what's going on in the land of UK TV soaps? Possibly a sports bulletin? Or what about a ****** weather forecast??? Sod it, let's really push the boat out and do all 3!?!

And as for the amusingly camp Louis, well better to be an amusingly camp presenter than an irritatingly stupid reviewer.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, July 20 2007 @ 05:12 PM EDT
    Well lets see.

They say "it's Good" - Yep, check

and they say it's for "hardcore Fans" - Well yep, that would be a check for me too.

(And I guess is true for pretty much everyone who posts in these forums.) Except perhaps for Taras (he's only got a fleeting interest).

Maybe they have a point, but I for one don't intend to take off and get a life anytime soon Big Grin .

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, July 20 2007 @ 05:40 PM EDT
    I'm with Whoovie. That's a very positive review for Podshock. It does what it does. It dives deep into the minutiae that fans of our calibre desire.

It is NOT for the light Doctor Who fan, most of which couldn't care less about the details we get into.

I think the rating itself is aimed at a general, casual audience, and Podshock isn't for a general, casual audience.

It's for geeks like us.

I think they were a BIT hard on Ken and Louis, though, who do a fine job officiating and bringing us that level of detail. No mention of James?

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Friday, July 20 2007 @ 05:59 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] I think they were a BIT hard on Ken and Louis, though, who do a fine job officiating and bringing us that level of detail. No mention of James?

Sean.

Ah, just wait till they hit the LIVE shows then we shall see what SciFi Now is made of Wink .

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Friday, July 20 2007 @ 06:10 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie] Except perhaps for Taras (he's only got a fleeting interest).

It's astounding, time is fleeting
    Madness takes its toll
    But listen closely, not for very much longer
    I've got to keep control

I remember doing the Pod Shock
    Drinking those moments when
    The blackness would hit me and the void would be calling
    Let's do the Pod Shock again...
    Let's do the Pod Shock again!

with apologies to Richard O'Brien.

Friday, July 20 2007 @ 08:00 PM EDT
    I guess you guys are at least getting free advertising, I'll be interested to see if you make it into issue three as well.

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, July 21 2007 @ 09:53 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Tardis-Knight] I don't for a second suppose this crap would put Louis/Ken/James off the way they do things - and nor should it. It's a Doctor Who Podcast for Doctor Who fans - so what exactly does this tw*t want???

Maybe we could do a 5 minute round up of what's going on in the land of UK TV soaps? Possibly a sports bulletin? Or what about a ****** weather forecast??? Sod it, let's really push the boat out and do all 3!?!

And as for the amusingly camp Louis, well better to be an amusingly camp presenter than an irritatingly stupid reviewer.
    I'm offended by these comments, for what it's worth. Can we not, please, accept the comments of outside reviewers with grace? At least Podshock has gotten to the point where it merits attention from people who are not members of the extended Gallifreyan Embassy family. For fans, the point of reviews is that, at their best, they give a more objective lens through which to observe that which we already admire. And this review, if short, does give a balanced view of our little show.

There is absolutely no cause to curse at this review, or its writer.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Saturday, July 21 2007 @ 12:45 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]
    [Quote  by:  Tardis-Knight] I don't for a second suppose this crap would put Louis/Ken/James off the way they do things - and nor should it. It's a Doctor Who Podcast for Doctor Who fans - so what exactly does this tw*t want???

I'm offended by these comments, for what it's worth. Can we not, please, accept the comments of outside reviewers with grace? At least Podshock has gotten to the point where it merits attention from people who are not members of the extended Gallifreyan Embassy family. For fans, the point of reviews is that, at their best, they give a more objective lens through which to observe that which we already admire. And this review, if short, does give a balanced view of our little show.

There is absolutely no cause to curse at this review, or its writer.

I agree with you Darth. I do not know how many people I've tried to point to the forums here to express their opinions, but I believe they may have decided to refrain from posting because they feel their opinions will be lost in the echo chamber that we sometimes get here. Or those that do post a contrary view get overwhelmed by the "defenders of the faith" and never return.

Saturday, July 21 2007 @ 01:16 PM EDT
    Well Darth Taras,

I guess your new avatar shows how bad smoking is for you, even if you are a Sith Lord.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, July 21 2007 @ 04:46 PM EDT
    Darth/Taras - for sure, it wasn't my intent to offend anyone here.

The good grace that Darth has asked for is all very well and good, it's actually something that on the whole I completely support. However; if someone doesn't like Podshock, I couldn't care less (really I couldn't - you might doubt that at this moment in time, but it's true). I'd certainly say that they should give it another whirl (assuming they're a Doctor Who fan), but if they didn't like it, that's their decision. Where I'll get really annoyed is when someone takes a silly, patronising swipe ("amusingly camp", "slightly dull", "the boys" "jubilant panel" etc) at something for which I have a lot of time. And that was what came out here.

[Quote  by:  tarashnat] I do not know how many people I've tried to point to the forums here to express their opinions, but I believe they may have decided to refrain from posting because they feel their opinions will be lost in the echo chamber that we sometimes get here. Or those that do post a contrary view get overwhelmed by the "defenders of the faith" and never return.

I think we can develop a bit of an echo chamber (and in fairness, probably most other forums do too - that's the nature of them), but on the whole I think we're a pretty friendly bunch. & rightly so. One of the things that doesnt always translate well is the tone and mood of something someone might say in writing; I'm completely aware of that and if I'm disagreeing with someone I can guarantee I'll try and be nice about it. 200-odd posts in, my blatant, unapologetic exception to that was last night. I thought the review was smarmy, and if you read between the lines, in my view it's very derogatory. Now if you put something in the public domain (in this case Podshock), you're there to be shot down in flames. Likewise the reviewer. You can certainly argue I shouldnt have cursed him, maybe so. But I took exception to the style - to the point where I said what I said.

Despite the way my original post reads (and despite what I've said in the above paragraph), the post was at least partly meant in humour, although re-reading it in the form of Darth's quote, it undoubtedly comes over as very aggresive.

As a final thought which is at least a bit positive, their comparison to Top Gear was good (as you can tell, other than that, I had little time for it).

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, July 21 2007 @ 04:50 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie]
    I guess your new avatar shows how bad smoking is for you, even if you are a Sith Lord.

Based on fact he was offended by what I said, I can't see how he can be Sith. He must surely be a Jedi in disguise. Big Grin

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed