The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Kill The Moon? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Kill The Moon' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 5th

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Fighting Monk Costume
    Fighting Monk Costume
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who: Podshock »  British tabloids
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    British tabloids Views: 1084
     Monday, August 27 2007 @ 03:02 PM EDT
    Just a question for you guys, as I am still catching up on episodes of Podshock. Often, when a casting rumor comes along, it's from a tabloid such as the Sun.

Not surprisingly, you guys dismiss them out of hand.

Here I am, listening to episode 82, with the story breaking that Freema was leaving the show. Ken, on cue, completely dismisses the story saying "She's not going anywhere".

And, well, she left the show. Not permanent, but she's still gone.

So, and I'm going to need to take a very cold shower after saying this, at what point do you guys stop dismissing everything out of hand that the tabloids report?

Yeah, there's a lot of crap, but they do get it right now and then. And I don't think the situation is quite so extreme that you're looking for a needle in a haystack when it comes to valid stories.Smile

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, August 27 2007 @ 03:26 PM EDT
    Indeed. I think you'll find that pretty much every major happening of the new series was predicted/reported in the tabloids (usually the Sun) well before it happened. Not everything the Sun prints about Doctor Who turns out to be true but almost every story does have at least a sliver in there that turns out to be based on something true.

We were talking about this once and I think it was Sara Nathan that I cited as often being right on top of things.

Mike

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, August 27 2007 @ 03:51 PM EDT

When news breaks in a Tabloid AND The BBC OFFICALLY DENIES it then, and only then do we KNOW IT'S TRUE Wink .

Sad but very true,
    Mike M.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, August 27 2007 @ 04:10 PM EDT

The reports that Freema was being "fired" were rubbish... but yeah, there was a shred of truth about her "leaving" -- albeit only briefly... and in a sense, she will still be "in the Doctor Who family" -- just in Torchwood while she is away from the programme proper.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Monday, August 27 2007 @ 04:24 PM EDT
    The (temporary) departure of Freema from the series cannot really be described in black and white terms. She was not fired and she did not quit. However if you absolutely had to pick one of those th truth is far closer to former than the latter. So while it did not turn out to be true that Freema was fired from Doctor Who it is the case that the departure and reduced role was not necessarily her choice.

Mike

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, August 28 2007 @ 12:29 AM EDT
    Alright, good answers all around.

I just found the situation amusing after it would come up every podcast or three, and then some of the stuff ended up being partially true, if not spot on. Big Grin

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, August 29 2007 @ 02:42 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  MikeD] The (temporary) departure of Freema from the series cannot really be described in black and white terms. She was not fired and she did not quit. However if you absolutely had to pick one of those th truth is far closer to former than the latter.

Yes, but you don't have to pick one or the other. You could report the truth, or not cover it at all.

Tabloids sometimes get it right. They sometimes get it wrong with a sliver of truth. And they sometimes talk utter nonsense. The BIG problem is that at the time the story is reported there's absolutely no way of knowing which of those three categories a story falls into. Which is why its right to dismiss tabloid stories until we learn something further.

Saying Freema was fired is not getting it nearly right about the situation - its getting it wrong.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, August 29 2007 @ 11:38 AM EDT

For the most part, anytime there is a "news story" which source originates from a tabloid, we never report the "news story" as news, but rather we report to our listeners that the tabloid is reporting it. We always give our listeners the fact that we are stating that a tabloid is reporting a particular story... and let everyone know that you have to 'take it with a grain of salt' so to speak. Listeners can take it for what it is, something a tabloid is reporting... in other words, take it all with a measure of healthy skepticism.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Wednesday, August 29 2007 @ 02:20 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Tom Hagen]Yes, but you don't have to pick one or the other. You could report the truth, or not cover it at all.

Tabloids sometimes get it right. They sometimes get it wrong with a sliver of truth. And they sometimes talk utter nonsense. The BIG problem is that at the time the story is reported there's absolutely no way of knowing which of those three categories a story falls into. Which is why its right to dismiss tabloid stories until we learn something further.

Saying Freema was fired is not getting it nearly right about the situation - its getting it wrong.

Having a knee jerk reaction that a story must be untrue because it appears in a tabloid is also wrong. Especially since so often it turns out that the story was true.

The headline on the Freema story is sensational and meant to sell papers. I will not defend that but it is reality and it's not only tabloids who do it. "Freema Demoted" or "Freema Pushed Aside for Bigger Star (TBA)" would have been more accurate in retrospect but it's tough to know what was known or even decided on at the time about her future involvement with the series.

Criticizing a paper for over sensationalizing a story is one thing but saying that because it is from a tabloid it must be untrue is something else.

Part of the problem here is the term tabloid. It has all sorts of connotations and is considered by some to be a pejorative. There are all sorts of tabloids and they are not all the same thing. It's a common bond that tabloids are often by their nature sensational but to very different degrees. People in different countries will not always know the context of a particular paper and will have the same reaction regardless of the paper.

The Independent is not the Daily Sport, The Sun (UK) is not the News of the World just as The New York Post is not the National Enquirer...but they are all tabloids. Some people just hear the word and they automatically assume it's from the bottom of the pile.

My point is not to defend sensational headlines but that I agree with silvanthalas that we should not be so quick to dismiss stories just because of the format of the newspaper, especially when every major change over the last few years has in fact been accurately predicted by a tabloid.

Mike

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, August 30 2007 @ 03:19 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  MikeD] Having a knee jerk reaction that a story must be untrue because it appears in a tabloid is also wrong.

It's not a knee-jerk reaction that it "wrong" - its a knee-jerk reaction that because it is in a tabloid, it cannot be trusted.

[Quote  Especially since so often it turns out that the story was true.

And the same applies in reverse - its right not to trust the tabloids because so often it turns out that they misreported the story or simply made something up.

That's why we didn't just have the Doctor played by Paul Daniels regenerate in James Nesbitt, alongside his ex-Hollyoaks companion - as they faced a waxwork dummy of David Beckham in alliance with Joan Collins.

[Quote  Criticizing a paper for over sensationalizing a story is one thing but saying that because it is from a tabloid it must be untrue is something else.

I'm not saying that. I am saying that because it is in a tabloid like The Sun - then it shouldn't be trusted because they've made stuff up or got stuff wrong. The Freema headline was wrong.

"Sensationalising" in this case meant making stuff up! Its impossible to know how they came to that story - likely because they got a leak of the final scenes in the script and put 2+2 together to make 5 - so its impossible to know how well it can be trusted.

I think what Podshock does makes sense - report the story but cite the source. The origin of a story in the Sun should make you skeptical! Unless David Bowie is playing an alien abductor in an Agatha Christie two-parter!

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored