The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    DALEK!!
    DALEK!!
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who: Podshock »  New Studio podcasts?
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    New Studio podcasts? Views: 3091
     Sunday, February 10 2008 @ 06:34 PM EST

Although having multiple feeds is a bit confusing... It is not something that is entirely new for us as we had been doing that with the Enhanced Podcast feed and the regular vanilla MP3 feed... and then we added the Raw Live feed... which is solely for the live shows in their unedited raw format (just as they were recorded via TalkShoe).

Now the question is should we add a another feed that will have the live shows after they have gone through post... or just stick with the Raw Live feed and don't bother polishing up and fixing the live shows... Most likely I will add a new feed for the Post Production Live Shows and still keep the TalkShoe Raw Feed for those that want the show immediately and don't worry too much about the quality.

I suppose this should start after episode 103 goes out. It will go out as all the other live shows have gone out in the main feeds. I can record a special Aftershock episode that will explain that the live shows will now have it's own feed and for those that wish to continue to receive the live shows to subscribe to the live feed (or the raw live feed).

Hence forth, all the shows on the regular feeds will be studio ones...

Does this all make any sense? I hope it is not too confusing.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, February 10 2008 @ 07:15 PM EST
    Bless your heart, Louis. It sounds to me like too much work. Those of us who don't like the live shows as much can simply not listen to them. I vote for not bothering to separate them, for that might make it all the easier for you to not do a "real" show, since you'll be so busy doing multiple feeds and such. And personally, I'd rather have all the shows and listen to whichever ones I like, without having to go find another feed.

I vote to leave things well enough alone and we'll just hope to get more studio shows in the overall mix.

http://thatneilguy.blogspot.com

Sunday, February 10 2008 @ 08:36 PM EST
    It pains me a bit to pass on some of the things that I've been hearing from people but I think it's worth doing so. Some things have bene said that I would not post here. I wouldn't suggest Louis to do anything hasty or rash but if people are giving this kind of feedback it's worth considering. Forums like this can become something of an echo chamber because it's those of us still here that are commenting. Those who have tuned out might not be coming on here anymore.

The problem with the status quo is that I think it could be part of a downward trend. I'm not going to suggest oodles of new work for Louis but I am going to pass on the feedback I've been getting online, locally and when I was at some DW events in the UK in December. I think we're going to hear some of the same at Gallifrey next weekend.

Mike

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, February 10 2008 @ 08:56 PM EST
    Well. There you go. Mike is certainly tapped into the community at large, unlike, say, me. And as I reflect on it, I know I've been a lot less eager to listen to Podshock since it became mostly the "live" shows...

So maybe a change is just what's needed. And Louis doesn't need to sleep...

Sunday, February 10 2008 @ 08:59 PM EST

The feedback is always valuable and is always encouraged. Both pro and con... hey as long as it is constructive, it means a great deal.

Once we started doing the live shows on a regular basis, I didn't even publicize the specific live feed too much because I feared it may be too confusing. I thought it would be better to just keep it all simple and have everything eventually appear in the one main feed (or two in our case since we maintain the MP3 feed as well).

On one hand, the live shows have really been gaining momentum. Dave can post how we are consistently among the top podcasts on Talkshoe. Which is great. Yet on the other hand, we don't want to disenfranchise those that rather not hear those shows and are unsubscribing.

If this is what indeed is what has been happening, I only wish they made us aware of it earlier... we could tried to resolve it sooner rather than now.

So perhaps I will do a call out to our listeners to get their feedback on what they would like. We would like to accommodate those that like the studio versions, those that like the live versions, and those that like both the best we can.

Input from everyone is always valuable. Please keep it coming.

Cheers,
    Louis

Sunday, February 10 2008 @ 09:03 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  That Neil Guy] Well. There you go. Mike is certainly tapped into the community at large, unlike, say, me. And as I reflect on it, I know I've been a lot less eager to listen to Podshock since it became mostly the "live" shows...

So maybe a change is just what's needed. And Louis doesn't need to sleep...

LOL.. no, don't say that. I need some sleep. Actually, my years have finally been catching up to me it seems. Over the last year, I found that I just zonk out a lot easier than before... so going with only 3 hours of sleep every night is something I don't see myself doing on a regular basis anymore.

That has always been an advantage of the live shows is that the are more immediate. I love doing the studio shows as well, don't get me wrong, but they tend to take longer to cook. I suppose one can liken it to comparing fast food with fine cuisine.

Cheers,
    Louis

Sunday, February 10 2008 @ 09:37 PM EST
    Just remember, Louis, that fast food stuff'll kill ya.

Monday, February 11 2008 @ 07:08 AM EST
    Which ever way it goes I do hope that when Series 4 is on (UK) air we can have a live show each week.

With the series having 13 episodes + maybe a Christmas Special that's only 14 weeks out of the year - and as we know we will then only get 3 more episides before 2010 - plenty of weeks to fill with studio shows! Rolling Eyes

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, February 11 2008 @ 09:36 AM EST
    One thing I can say for sure about Podshockers, is that they are great at debating a topic. I expected only a response or two.

I'm glad that I am not the only one who doesn't like the live shows, and I do appreciate those who do.

My comments mainly sprang up after listening to the Tom Baker Years live show. There weren't that many people who called in, so it was mostly Louis, Ken and West going over the same positive points about Tom's tenure as the Doctor FOR AN HOUR AND A HALF. That discussion was technically done within a half hour after it started. It didn't need to be dragged on as it was. Even the news section was dragged out.

If nothing else, with the live shows, can you please stay on target and keep the repetition of points to a minimum?

Ciotka Judi, The Polish Blonde

Monday, February 11 2008 @ 01:48 PM EST
    I am torn about this... I know I love the studio shows and would hate to lose these (I wouldnt have a show if I hadn't been inspirited by podshock studio casts) but I also like the community feeling that the live shows have. I must admit I dont feel that there should have been a retrospective on the 10th Doctor until his time is up...

There is an argument for more studio shows and a relaxation of the live show until the return of the new seriese with maybe 2 on Torchwood One at the mid point in the season and one at the end?

I for one would leave the feed alone as if people have to activly seek out new feeds they may not bother.

We want more people to listen.

I havent heard anyone say anything bad against the live shows on any other forums.

Guest Host on the WHOCAST

Monday, February 11 2008 @ 02:02 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Tin Dog Podcast]I havent heard anyone say anything bad against the live shows on any other forums.

I certainly wouldn't bring up the subject anywhere else but here, where such a discussion belongs.

Ciotka Judi, The Polish Blonde

Monday, February 11 2008 @ 05:10 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

The feedback is always valuable and is always encouraged. Both pro and con... hey as long as it is constructive, it means a great deal.

Once we started doing the live shows on a regular basis, I didn't even publicize the specific live feed too much because I feared it may be too confusing. I thought it would be better to just keep it all simple and have everything eventually appear in the one main feed (or two in our case since we maintain the MP3 feed as well).

On one hand, the live shows have really been gaining momentum. Dave can post how we are consistently among the top podcasts on Talkshoe. Which is great. Yet on the other hand, we don't want to disenfranchise those that rather not hear those shows and are unsubscribing.

If this is what indeed is what has been happening, I only wish they made us aware of it earlier... we could tried to resolve it sooner rather than now.

So perhaps I will do a call out to our listeners to get their feedback on what they would like. We would like to accommodate those that like the studio versions, those that like the live versions, and those that like both the best we can.

Input from everyone is always valuable. Please keep it coming.

Cheers,
    Louis

I think that studio shows are far more popular than live shows is not something new. However given the circumstances there has been some hesitance to pass on that feeling. That the live shows could be hurting the studio shows is a more recent realization on my part and based on conversations that I had with a group of fans just this past week. I'm sure there will be lots of conversation about all of this in a few days when many of us see each other.

Mike

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, February 11 2008 @ 11:35 PM EST
    I guess I can pipe up here on this one. I'm one of the people Mike made mention of (except for the part about him turning *me* on to Podshock). I've been, or rather, was a long time listener of The 'Shock. I wasn't however very happy with, engaged, or interested in the Live shows. I understand the need, and demand... but after a couple I found myself drifting. I really can't stand the quality. The quality of the recordings, and the quality of the material presented. I feel man created editing for a reason. But I understand that Live shows, and Studio shows are different beasts. It's my choice to prefer one over another. I didn't bother lodging a "complaint" or posting my comments at the time... I only do so now that I see a discussion is under way. Ultimately I just exercised this listener's Gawd given right to just tune out.

I also don't "subscribe" to, or get this podcast via a regular Feed (iTunes, etc). I get all of my podcasts manually by going to the sites and downloading them individually. My personal choice. When the show went completely Live I tuned out, and haven't listened to a show since. Yes... I see there have been studio shows. They were (or seemed) few and far between and in the end my "habit" was broken. I didn't see the need to constantly keep checking for a Studio show, hoping one would pop up. Once in a while I drop by to see what's going on with the news, forum discussions, and whatnot... but I've yet to DL a new Podshock. Maybe after I finish this note I'll click over and see if the latest one is worth checking out...

What do I suggest? Not much beyond: do what you want to do. Smile It's your hard work going into all of this... beit Live or Studio. Just know that you may gain, or lose listeners whenever a format is changed (or both!). The question is which format is in the MOST demand? And if it's demand you want to address go for it. If it's your own pleasure in doing this endeavor...go for that too. Nothing wrong with either choice and know that you can't possibly please everyone. But when a change is made please do your best to inform your listeners and readers as to what is going on and why. We're a fickle bunch... and easily distracted by shiny bobbins and bits of colourful string.

-Rod

www.DWIN.org
    www.DoctorWhoBlog.com

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, February 12 2008 @ 01:04 AM EST

I have been giving this dilemma more thought over the last day or so... Though I can change my mind tomorrow, right now I am thinking of spinning off the live shows. In other words, it will be it's own podcast in addition to Doctor Who: Podshock. Sort of like our own Torchwood or Sarah Jane Adventures (or for that matter K9 and Company Wink ).

The new spin-off podcast will continue to do live shows on a regular basis... while Doctor Who: Podshock can focus on just doing the studio shows. This is not to say that there won't ever been another live show of Doctor Who: Podshock... but it would be limited to special shows perhaps.

Unfortunately we may risk loosing the momentum that we have created with the Doctor Who: Podshock Live shows. We will have to foster and wean the growing Talkshoe audience we have been building to the new spin-off podcast to carry on the conversation.

And at the same time, we can only hope that any listeners that were perhaps lost due to the amount of live shows will find their way back to Doctor Who: Podshock once the studio shows are the mainstay again.

The next question would be when would all this happen? Starting with which podcast? We already recorded live shows covering all ten Doctors. The sixth Doctor era (Colin Baker) just went out on the main feeds in episode 103 of Doctor Who: Podshock. I suppose it would make the most sense to just finish it off concluding with episode 110 in which we cover the tenth Doctor, David Tennant. (There's a couple of studio shows already recorded in that bunch as well). After which, the live shows can be spun off on their own and Podshock will continue with studio shows.

I am hoping this would please majority of all the listeners (those that like only the studio shows, those that like the live shows, and of course those that enjoy both).

I am still open to other suggestions.

Cheers,
    Louis

Tuesday, February 12 2008 @ 07:58 AM EST
    For what it's worth, I subscribe to both feeds. While I find the live shows hard to listen to sometimes (more from the audio quality than the listener content quality), I still mostly enjoy them. I haven't tried listening to a "live" show from the regular feed, so I don't know how much post work Louis puts into them.

Confused

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored