The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 307 - 'Deep Breath' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Into the Dalek' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 31st
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Deep Breath' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 24th
  • BBC One 'Deep Breath' Promotional Advertisement Video [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 306 - Interviews with Ian Marter and Sarah Sutton
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Cyberman Voice Changer in Boc
    Cyberman Voice Changer in Boc
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who: Podshock »  New Studio podcasts?
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    New Studio podcasts? Views: 3061
     Tuesday, February 12 2008 @ 08:36 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Satai Styx] One thing I can say for sure about Podshockers, is that they are great at debating a topic. I expected only a response or two.

I'm glad that I am not the only one who doesn't like the live shows, and I do appreciate those who do.

My comments mainly sprang up after listening to the Tom Baker Years live show. There weren't that many people who called in, so it was mostly Louis, Ken and West going over the same positive points about Tom's tenure as the Doctor FOR AN HOUR AND A HALF. That discussion was technically done within a half hour after it started. It didn't need to be dragged on as it was. Even the news section was dragged out.

It seems a bit harsh to dismiss all Live shows because one of them was 'boring' to you.

As you point out that day there weren't many called in (or those with mics anyway)

Of course there will be Live shows that don't appeal - a few of us were surprised how much there was to talk about on the Sixth Doctor (Colin Baker) - some people may have thought to skip that one - but it turned out pretty good.

I think many people would like more Studio shows - but getting Colin or Peter or Murry Gold or one of the writer's on each week isn't possible I'd have thought.

Alternate Live and Studio would seem to be the 'ideal' to aim for.

One last word about Live shows - although because of 'time zones etc. not all can make them - it would enrich the show if more people with different views called in.

Cheers - from a live bore - daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, February 12 2008 @ 11:46 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    I think many people would like more Studio shows - but getting Colin or Peter or Murry Gold or one of the writer's on each week isn't possible I'd have thought.

Alternate Live and Studio would seem to be the 'ideal' to aim for.

Cheers - from a live bore - daveac

Personally, I don't think the studio shows are about interviewing people connected to the show (although it is nice if it happens). If you listen back to some of the old Podshocks there were rarely any interviews. What we did get was the banter between Ken, Louis and James, Big Finish reviews, toy reviews, book reviews general chit chat of the news all within the space of fifty minutes (or two hours... I always preferred the longer episodes), they were much more varied than the Live shows which are about a single topic every two weeks. The studio shows are an entity unto themselves whereas the Live shows are really just an extension of these fine forums! I DO agree, however, that the Live shows are great when we have a season on and it would definately be a shame to see those go!!!

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, February 12 2008 @ 01:56 PM EST

The way I see it, there are two fault lines in the audience. First off, we have the division between the TalkShoe live shows and the "studio" shows. The second fault line that I see is in episode length. The majority of people that I have spoken to just don't have enough time in their busy lives to devote more than sixty to seventy minutes a week on the podcast.

What I think the podcast needs is focus on its core strengths and be a bit stricter with itself as far as editing for time and content.

I would actually propose that there be hybridization of the podcast. There could be a core show of approximately thirty to fourty minutes of news/announcements and features (interviews, reviews, etc.) This could then be followed by a feedback segment which would take ten to fifteen minutes of the most interesting bits of a TalkShoe discussion and incorporate it into the Podcast. The full live recording could live on its own feed, if people are interested, but very few people can follow the longer length shows, and many have "spoken" with their feet. I would recommend only recording with TalkShoe every other week at the most and have it cover the DW/DWC/TW/SJA/etc. episodes broadcast since the last show, or depending on how the US/UK first runs match up, after the later of the two (if it is only a week or two off). Or, alternatively, if there are no recent broadcasts, then topics touched on recent podcasts can be discussed.

I'm sure that there will be a vocal minority clamoring for more and longer shows. If they get their way, then they will become the majority of the listeners, though I doubt that they will be satisfied no matter what the output.

I am not advocating for a wholesale makeover. Just a little more discipline in the "format" of the podcast. I feel that as Podshock has grown, it has lost its way a bit.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Tuesday, February 12 2008 @ 05:20 PM EST
    What sucked me in to Podshock in the first place was the great relationship between Louis, Ken and James.

http://thatneilguy.blogspot.com

Tuesday, February 12 2008 @ 05:25 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]This could then be followed by a feedback segment which would take ten to fifteen minutes of the most interesting bits of a TalkShoe discussion and incorporate it into the Podcast. The full live recording could live on its own feed, if people are interested, but very few people can follow the longer length shows,

and many have "spoken" with their feet.

Taras

Two points shown above.

I agree with the first - it sounds like a great solution - if not too hard for Louis.

The second 'spoken with their feet' - I'm not sure as the weeks the Podshock is on the Live feed of TalkShoe it has continued to climb up the ratings.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Tuesday, February 12 2008 @ 05:46 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    The way I see it, there are two fault lines in the audience. First off, we have the division between the TalkShoe live shows and the "studio" shows. The second fault line that I see is in episode length. The majority of people that I have spoken to just don't have enough time in their busy lives to devote more than sixty to seventy minutes a week on the podcast.

What I think the podcast needs is focus on its core strengths and be a bit stricter with itself as far as editing for time and content.

I would actually propose that there be hybridization of the podcast. There could be a core show of approximately thirty to fourty minutes of news/announcements and features (interviews, reviews, etc.) This could then be followed by a feedback segment which would take ten to fifteen minutes of the most interesting bits of a TalkShoe discussion and incorporate it into the Podcast. The full live recording could live on its own feed, if people are interested, but very few people can follow the longer length shows, and many have "spoken" with their feet. I would recommend only recording with TalkShoe every other week at the most and have it cover the DW/DWC/TW/SJA/etc. episodes broadcast since the last show, or depending on how the US/UK first runs match up, after the later of the two (if it is only a week or two off). Or, alternatively, if there are no recent broadcasts, then topics touched on recent podcasts can be discussed.

I'm sure that there will be a vocal minority clamoring for more and longer shows. If they get their way, then they will become the majority of the listeners, though I doubt that they will be satisfied no matter what the output.

I am not advocating for a wholesale makeover. Just a little more discipline in the "format" of the podcast. I feel that as Podshock has grown, it has lost its way a bit.

Taras

Seconded.

Studio bound episodes do take a heck of a lot more work, and there have been a variety of real life impediments to doing them, but they are preferable on every level save immediacy. While I think many can understand sacrificing quality for a timely review of a just-broadcast episode, it's less clear why a review of a Doctor's era need be done via TalkShoe, without post-production. If you look at the number of participants on these later episodes, one must suppose they could've been done via Skype, and therefore afforded a much higher quality. In fact, before Series 4 starts, I'd advocate revisiting Skype (or other products) as possible conferencing tools for discussions which might involve a lower volume of callers.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Tuesday, February 12 2008 @ 05:53 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  daveac] - I'm not sure as the weeks the Podshock is on the Live feed of TalkShoe it has continued to climb up the ratings.

Which ratings are these? Is there a numeric audience/listener or download count? Or just votes from listeners?

I am experiencing the same thing that Mike is hearing. A number of my friends in DWNY have given up on the podcast and rarely, if ever, check in on it any more. Sure, this is anecdotal evidence, but it may be a good idea to poll some of the people at Gallifrey about what is going on elsewhere.

Tuesday, February 12 2008 @ 06:17 PM EST
    [Quote The full live recording could live on its own feed, if people are interested, but very few people can follow the longer length shows,
    and many have "spoken" with their feet.

I think this is where it's up to the producers to decide which viewership they want to attract. It's quite possible that the numbers are on a teeter-totter dropping fans of the studio show, in favour of those who like the Live show...and vice versa. There *may* be a middle ground that could attract both groups... but I wouldn't pander. Personally I'd prefer a nice well produced hour or two once a month over a weekly show tossed together. But that's just me.

There's also the possibility of over saturation. I've been in the Doctor Who Fan scene for a fair amount of time now, and I do believe that there's a point where overkill will have an impact on fan projects. And there are alot of them. Back in the day DW stuff was few and far between... but now with the internet there's SO much out there that it comes to a point that I have to turn off a lot of outlets I would have KILLED for 20 years ago.

-Rod

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, February 12 2008 @ 06:19 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  daveac]Two points shown above.

I agree with the first - it sounds like a great solution - if not too hard for Louis.

The second 'spoken with their feet' - I'm not sure as the weeks the Podshock is on the Live feed of TalkShoe it has continued to climb up the ratings.

Cheers, daveac

What started as one product has really split into two quite different ones and the threshold to measure success for one is not the same as the other. The live shows are an innovative offshoot of the podcast that have proven to be successful and popular within a smaller and partially different group.

Mike

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, February 12 2008 @ 07:44 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  MikeD]
    What started as one product has really split into two quite different ones and the threshold to measure success for one is not the same as the other. The live shows are an innovative offshoot of the podcast that have proven to be successful and popular within a smaller and partially different group.

But the problem is that Podshock Live isn't an "offshoot" anymore. It's the dominant form of the program. These days, Podshock proper might as well be called a "special edition" of Podshock Live.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Tuesday, February 12 2008 @ 08:15 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  DarthSkeptical]But the problem is that Podshock Live isn't an "offshoot" anymore. It's the dominant form of the program. These days, Podshock proper might as well be called a "special edition" of Podshock Live.
    +

That is a fair point but I think it makes more sense for the form that has broad appeal to be at the centre. Even if there is a live chat show every week and only one studio show a month it's that studio show that attracts the most ears.

Mike

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, February 12 2008 @ 11:37 PM EST

Unless people think it is ill-advised, we will finish up getting all the previously recorded live episodes (leading up to last Sunday's recording of the 10th Doctor's era) out on the main feeds. After which, the live show can be spun off on it's own and Doctor Who: Podshock proper can consist of mostly studio shows.

Perhaps there should be an announcement made of this intent on all the feeds to make people aware of what will be happening. Hopefully the announcement could serve as a deterrent for others not interested in the live shows from jumping ship. They can simply delete/ignore the rest of the previously recorded live shows and then enjoy a steady diet of studio recorded episodes.

With that said, the recorded on location pieces at Gallifrey 2008 this weekend (which some may consider "live") will still go out on the main feeds. Even though they will have on location live segments, it will still be considered a studio show.. as well as the show we record with a live audience.

I am basically speaking of the Talkshoe live shows will be spun off to it's own podcast.

Again, keep the feedback coming.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Saturday, March 15 2008 @ 10:19 PM EDT
    Podshock crew:

I hope that the upcoming live Podshocks, or whatever you're going to call them, aren't going to be the last words on the Series 4 episodes. I agree with many in this thread that the polished studio podcasts are much preferable to the "tape-delayed" TalkShoe experience. I called in for one of them and enjoyed it -- if prattled on too much -- but that was mainly because it was truly live. Without tighter production (pacing and sound quality), outside of the folks participating in that hour I don't think the Talkshoe Podshocks have much shelf life.

And those of us in America who can't often catch the red-eye to watch the British broadcasts, and have to wait for Sci-Fi, we can't listen to TalkShoe live without having the episode spoiled...

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, March 15 2008 @ 11:18 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  FixerMX] And those of us in America who can't often catch the red-eye to watch the British broadcasts, and have to wait for Sci-Fi, we can't listen to TalkShoe live without having the episode spoiled...

This is similar to what I've been suspecting.

Sunday, March 16 2008 @ 12:30 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    [Quote  by:  FixerMX] And those of us in America who can't often catch the red-eye to watch the British broadcasts, and have to wait for Sci-Fi, we can't listen to TalkShoe live without having the episode spoiled...

This is similar to what I've been suspecting.

We were just discussing this matter earlier this week on how we can address it. We would like to be more inclusive to our American audiences without alienating our UK audience. We are waiting to see what kind of schedule is ahead of us for "Series 4" as it pertains to the transmissions on the BBC and it's airing on the Sci-Fi Channel. Perhaps something can be worked out.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic