The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Deep Breath? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Into the Dalek' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 31st
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Deep Breath' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 24th
  • BBC One 'Deep Breath' Promotional Advertisement Video [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 306 - Interviews with Ian Marter and Sarah Sutton
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Musical rarity!
    Musical rarity!
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who: Podshock »  Podcasting Setup
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Podcasting Setup Views: 7913
     Monday, January 16 2006 @ 05:54 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis]On a final note, I may have seemed a bit quiet in this episode (21), that was mostly because due to all the new pieces in our setup this week, I was carefully monitoring everything and making adjustments on the fly while recording... So unfortunately, in hindsight there was much I wanted to cover and add to the discussions in this episode, but my attention was a bit divided.

And I thought you were just getting back at John and Ken for them giving you the silent treatment in episode 20... Wink

One thing I noticed is when I was playing something in iTunes while having GB open, then the filter for the selected track affected the output from iTunes...

You should send some of the comments on GB to Apple, and post it on their support boards. They may address some of your concerns in a future update.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Friday, January 20 2006 @ 10:27 AM EST

Louis,

I've added a program called Sound Studio 3 to the suite I was using to record the file I sent you this morning... (sorry 4.2 MB Oops! ). Using it to record my source helped me to remove some hum I was picking up in my set up. I did not notice it before, but it was also on the Crytobiosis review. It also allowed me to perfom other filtering that should become obvious when you listen to the file... I'll eventually find out what is causing the issue, but I was just so anxious to get this new "project" on "tape".

Hope you enjoy it.

Taras

Saturday, January 21 2006 @ 09:49 PM EST
    Thanks Taras... Your next segment will be included in Podshock 22.

Sound Studio 3 made a noticeable difference. I had tried out Sound Studio (not sure what version number) some years ago... Long before podcasting. To be honest, I don't recall the experience I had when I used it... nor do I recall what I used it for... so I can't comment on it now. At the time, I didn't have a long term use for it, because I didn't buy it... I probably just used it in demo mode or something.

I am glad you got to the bottom of the problem that was causing the hum.

Recording sound can be a tricky thing. I have to say that GB3 does a good job at reducing background hiss than it predecessor did.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Sunday, January 22 2006 @ 02:53 AM EST

I got a ground loop isolator today, and it seems to cut the hum own a bit, so it'll probably be easier for me to deal with until I sort out the real issue.

I didn't get to the bottom of the problem really, I just found a way of dealing with it, until I can find the actual cause.

GB3 did a good job at reducing the ambient noise in my apartment. I was surprised that I had more noise when starting to record my last segment, even though I turned off my NOISY G4. The CPU sounds like you're sitting next to the engine on a plane, and the fans on one of my FireWire drives on that box likes to let its presence be known. And also a fan in the room was not on this time as well, because the motor burned out. It just wasn't easy to find how to deal with the 60 Hz hiss in the app. But since I already had a copy of Sound Studio...

Taras

Sunday, January 22 2006 @ 04:09 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    ... I was surprised that I had more noise when starting to record my last segment, even though I turned off my NOISY G4. The CPU sounds like you're sitting next to the engine on a plane...

Taras

I can relate, my previous main system was a Dual G4 MDD system... which had earned the nickname "wind tunnel" or something similar to that because of it's fan noise... My Dual G5 is a bit better, but it too can get noisy when the CPUs get a little hot. Prior to GB3, I had to use a sound gate (within GCool to keep the noise under control for the podcast.

Cheers,
    Louis

Monday, January 23 2006 @ 12:23 AM EST

I just ordered myself a USB mixer/preamp since my mixer is a bit too big to be portable, and I want the ability to take my setup on the road. Well, at least down a couple of city blocks, but you get the picture...

Well the aural sense is a strange one indeed, hearing things that aren't there and not hearing those that are...

Taras

Tuesday, January 24 2006 @ 12:47 AM EST

Oh cool, keep me posted on which one you get.

Cheers,
    Louis

Tuesday, January 24 2006 @ 09:52 AM EST

I ordered the M-Audio you are using. The other models I researched were adding stuff I didn't need (MIDI, guitar, etc.) or were too expensive.

Taras

Tuesday, January 24 2006 @ 08:33 PM EST
    from the discussion on episode 21:
    [Quote  by:  Louis] There is no way to process and filter one audio region, you have to do the whole track or nothing... I wish there was a way to just modify regions within a particular track.

You can split the audio, move the section(s) to a new track, and filter it separately.

Taras

Exactly, but it means creating another track... You may have other settings already set up on that track, so you need to reset all those settings again on the new track... and if you already have several tracks in your project, well, it just gets a bit more unmanageable as you add more and more tracks on top of it all.

Whereas in Apple's Soundtrack Pro I can edit a particular region of a track without it effecting other regions within the same track.

Cheers,
    Louis

Tuesday, January 24 2006 @ 06:22 PM EST
    I ordered the M-Audio you are using. The other models I researched were adding stuff I didn't need (MIDI, guitar, etc.) or were too expensive.

Taras

Cool. Yeah, when you get it, it will have an installation disc... but I am usually shy when it comes to installing anything that smells like a "driver" on a Mac because for USB it is usually not necessary... and it just adds to the risk that it is going to cause some sort of conflict somewhere.

What I did was install the software on my PowerBook but not my PowerMac G5. Both work... the installer CD adds a control panel pane that gives you a couple more options... and it may be my imagination, but I may have more audio gain on my PB with it, than on my G5 without it.

The M-Audio Pre-Mobile gives you a good deal of input options for its price.

Good luck with your new set up.

Cheers,
    Louis

Tuesday, January 24 2006 @ 06:57 PM EST

from the discussion on episode 21:
    [Quote  by:  Louis] There is no way to process and filter one audio region, you have to do the whole track or nothing... I wish there was a way to just modify regions within a particular track.

You can split the audio, move the section(s) to a new track, and filter it separately.

Taras

Tuesday, January 24 2006 @ 09:15 PM EST
    Well, that's the difference between the Pro and iLife apps...

Taras

Wednesday, January 25 2006 @ 02:20 AM EST

Yep, that is true. I just wish the two worked together better... It would be nice to send a region from GB to Soundtrack Pro to refine and edit and then bring it back into GB easily. Pretty much that is how it works with Final Cut Pro and Soundtrack Pro, you can easily transfer between the apps to get the results you want.

It would be cool if those hooks were also included in GB so that if anyone had the Pro apps, they could use them to their advantage even within iLife. Of course if someone didn't have the Pro apps, they could not take advantage of it. Sort of like what you can do now in iPhoto, if you wish you choose to edit your photos in separate application such as Photoshop.

Of course I am not knocking iLife... for what all you get with it, it's an incredible value. Any ONE of the iLife applications are worth the full price of iLife... let alone you are getting them all for the one price.

Cheers,
    Louis

Friday, January 27 2006 @ 02:33 PM EST

Some good news: M-Audio, Ableton pledge support for Intel Macs.

Even better, is that my M-Audio Mobile Pre USB is in my greedy little mitts today. I picked it up from the post office on my way to work this morning. Maybe this will be enough impetus for me to reorganize my spaghetti tangle of cables... I think my big CRT monitor isn't helping matters either.

Taras

Friday, January 27 2006 @ 02:43 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis] Yep, that is true. I just wish the two worked together better... It would be nice to send a region from GB to Soundtrack Pro to refine and edit and then bring it back into GB easily. Pretty much that is how it works with Final Cut Pro and Soundtrack Pro, you can easily transfer between the apps to get the results you want.

I think the two product lines are kept distinct because Apple is catering to both n00bs and L33Ts, though some of us are L33Ts on a n00b budget... Frown I would expect to see the iLife apps to get more tightly integrated with each other, and the professional apps with each other, and the interoperability between the two worlds will only be accidental, and probably limited to file format compatibility.

Taras

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored