The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Kill The Moon? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Kill The Moon' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 5th

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  

Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who: Podshock »  Podcasting Setup
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Podcasting Setup Views: 7996
     Wednesday, January 17 2007 @ 12:18 AM EST
    Louis,

I just got myself a spanking new MacBook Pro, and to go along with it, I got an Alesis io|26 Personal FireWire interface and a MXL 990 microphone w/ shockmount.

The Alesis io|26 allows you to record up to 8 mics on eight separate tracks in GarageBand!!! And it only costs $399.00. There is a io|14 with half the inputs. I am going to have to download Skype onto the laptop and see how it interfaces with all of that. With the M-Audio Mobile Pre, I could only record two separate tracks, or one stereo track. This is awesome!

I had two cheapo Radio Shack mics, but I felt I wanted to go a step further. The MXL 990 was a steal at $59, on sale now at many outlets. And it came with a case and the shockmount. It does require phantom power, which both the Mobile Pre and the io|26 provide.

Well, I'm getting ready for an astronomy outing the end of this week and weekend, so I haven't the time to play with the set-up much, but I expect to start playing with the audio capabilities soon.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, January 17 2007 @ 01:35 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat] ...

The Alesis io|26 allows you to record up to 8 mics on eight separate tracks in GarageBand!!! ...

Wow! That is sweet!

I remember checking out an Alesis some time ago... but I never got it. The Alesis io|26 comes with Cubase LE as well.

I could use a good external mixer as well. But since so much of the podcast is done via Skype these days, it is a bit overkill for just recording myself right now. But it sure would be handy at times.

So Taras, does this mean we can expect to get new segments from you for the podcast soon? Big Grin

Good luck with it and the microphone... wow, you even get a case with it too for that price. Hmm... it seems "too good to be true" -- let me know how it sounds.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Wednesday, January 17 2007 @ 06:10 AM EST
    I was reading this thread and hoped that I could get some advice. For my birthday, my wife just bought me the Alesis multimix 8 USB. I'm looking for 2 good microphones for my podcast that I produce (www.themagicsock.com - it's a Magic: The Gathering card game podcast). Since I've been using a simple USB headset and Castblaster for the last year, I'm a bit out of my league with the mixer as I've never used one before. Two quick questions:

1. I'd like to purchase the MXL 990 microphone as it's a great price. The Alesis multimix 8 USB does have Phantom Power. Will this be okay to use the mic with this mixer or would I still need a preamp?

2. I see that the MXL 990 comes with a shockmount but I'm also looking for some sort of metal stand to attach to a desk. I didn't want a stand that I needed to bolt into a desk, but, if possible, something that I could easily attach or deattach as I might be podcasting in different locations in my house (depending on whether my son is awake or asleep). Any suggestions on an affordable stand?

Thank you.

Wednesday, January 17 2007 @ 08:22 AM EST

1. The mic should work with the mixer as is. You just need an XLR cable. Don't use one that is way too long.

2. I plan to use the shockmount directly mounted on a Desk Mic Stand from Radio Shack. It's under $10.

It is recommended to use a pop filter with the microphone. This will tone down the p's and b's and help keep your spit off the microphone. Apparently this microphone doesn't like moisture.

Taras

Wednesday, January 17 2007 @ 08:40 PM EST
    Tarashnat, I appreciate the answers. It's always good to run some ideas through someone who has actually done the work than just reading comments on a website. Thanks again!

Thursday, January 18 2007 @ 06:42 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat] Louis,

I just got myself a spanking new MacBook Pro, and to go along with it, I got an Alesis io|26 Personal FireWire interface and a MXL 990 microphone w/ shockmount.

The Alesis io|26 allows you to record up to 8 mics on eight separate tracks in GarageBand!!! And it only costs $399.00. There is a io|14 with half the inputs. I am going to have to download Skype onto the laptop and see how it interfaces with all of that. With the M-Audio Mobile Pre, I could only record two separate tracks, or one stereo track. This is awesome!

I had two cheapo Radio Shack mics, but I felt I wanted to go a step further. The MXL 990 was a steal at $59, on sale now at many outlets. And it came with a case and the shockmount. It does require phantom power, which both the Mobile Pre and the io|26 provide.

Well, I'm getting ready for an astronomy outing the end of this week and weekend, so I haven't the time to play with the set-up much, but I expect to start playing with the audio capabilities soon.

Taras

Well, due to work commitments and a change in the forecast, I had to cancel my outing... Frown

I forgot to mention, I also got an M-Audio iControl (for GarageBand). This allows you to control up to eight tracks in GarageBand via knobs and buttons instead of poking for the elements on screen with a mouse/track pad. Not very cost effective if you are just using one or two tracks at a time, but when dealing with multiple sources that need to be muted/unmuted on the fly, it is very handy. Oh, it also includes a MIDI input, for those who want to hook up their keyboard, etc. to a Mac. Sure there are better options for MIDI, but if you need the tactile track control, it may do in a pinch. The io|26 has both MIDI IN and MIDI OUT (one of each).

And I also picked up a copy of Audio Hijack Pro. A very useful piece of software for recording sound from any Mac OS X application. Many people use it to record the sound from Skype. Also good for recording streams from the web.

Taras

Thursday, January 18 2007 @ 11:53 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat] ...
    And I also picked up a copy of Audio Hijack Pro. A very useful piece of software for recording sound from any Mac OS X application. Many people use it to record the sound from Skype. Also good for recording streams from the web.

Taras

Yes, we use it with every podcast. A very valuable tool!

Wow Taras... Since you are an audio buying spree, shall I send you my list as well?

I can't wait to hear the new Big Finish segments you will be contributing!

I also looked into the M-Audio iControl, but wasn't sure how useful it would be for our purposes.

Cheers

Thursday, January 18 2007 @ 06:01 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis]Wow Taras... Since you are an audio buying spree, shall I send you my list as well?

Cash in advance, friend, cash in advance! Twisted Evil

For the PC folks, I think Audacity fulfills the function of recording from Skype. Best to perfom research on it first, though, as I don't use Windows for audio work.

Taras

Thursday, January 18 2007 @ 07:11 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    [Quote  by:  Louis]Wow Taras... Since you are an audio buying spree, shall I send you my list as well?

For the PC folks, I think Audacity fulfills the function of recording from Skype. Best to perfom research on it first, though, as I don't use Windows for audio work.

Taras

Audacity is a great program on the PC - I've used it for any audio clips I've posted and to put mt daughter's radio programme's onto CD.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Thursday, January 18 2007 @ 07:12 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]

Taras

Audacity is a great program on the PC - I've used it for any audio clips I've posted and to put my daughter's radio programme's onto CD.

Cheers, daveac

Don't know why double post - sorry - daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Friday, January 19 2007 @ 05:48 AM EST
    I opted to go with a Marshall MXL 2003 microphone as I was concerned that, down the line, I'd want a higher quality mic as since I had been given the advice from a fellow podcaster, I thought I'd take him up on it. For more information, check out what Kris of the Croncast podcast uses to record. He was kind enough to make a blog post on his site when I sent him a question:

Friday, January 19 2007 @ 02:48 PM EST

The Marshall MXL 2003 seems to be very nice. Mmmm...

Saturday, January 20 2007 @ 07:58 AM EST
    My wife told me last night as we were out to dinner, getting ready to go see Pan's Labyrinth (I highly recommend it) that a large package came for me in the mail. I got home late from the movie, brought the box upstairs, and just ripped it open this morning. The stoppit I bought is there, the XLR cable, the microphone stand and--no microphone! I looked at the receipt, fearing the worst, and realized that only three items were listed. I checked online and the microphone has been shipped to me separately and it's scheduled to arrive late next week. Frown I guess my plans for trying the setup out this weekend just went out the window. Oh well.

Saturday, January 20 2007 @ 10:58 AM EST

Deep breaths, Ron, deep breaths... Yes, shipping delays can be frustrating. Then again, it's always a good idea to have a second mic around... just in case you want to record a two hander. Sharing a mic can get a tad uncomfortable.

Taras

Saturday, January 27 2007 @ 07:22 AM EST
    I need help and I'm hoping that someone could help me with my rather basic questions. Unfortunately, the documentation that comes with the Alesis USB mixer is extremely sparse. In the image below, I've marked up buttons or knobs that I do not know how to effectively use them. I received my mic in the mail on Thurs. and I can record sound (wow, that mic is senstive!) but I'm having problems with levels.

My setup:

--Alesis Multimix 8 USB
    --MXL2003 Studio Condenser Microphone with Shock Mount
    --OnStage Tripod/Boom Microphone Stand
    --CBI LowZ Microphone XLR Cable
    --RaXXess Stoppit Pop Filter with Goose Neck (6 in.)
    --PC using Castblaster (www.castblaster)

I can record but the preloaded clips in castblaster are louder than the microphone parts I'm recording through the mixer (and, yes, the mixer does provide +48V Phantom Power to the mic).

I'd appreciate any help.

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed