The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 316 - 'In the Forest of the Night' Reviewed
  • Deleted Scenes from The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: In the Forest of the Night? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    K9 and the (not so) Giant Robot
    K9 and the (not so) Giant Robot
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who: Podshock »  Podcasting Setup
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Podcasting Setup Views: 8022
     Wednesday, April 25 2007 @ 02:50 PM EDT

Thanks, Darth. I have plenty of spare cabling, so I will tinker around with it when I can as well. I just hadn't had the time. Perhaps tonight though. I will check out the tests you sent to the Skype voice mail as well.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, April 25 2007 @ 06:23 PM EDT
    Louis,

The more I've thought about this today, the more I think the central problem, whether using the wired solution or the unwired, is how to get your own voice un-monitored. Audio HIjack/Soundflower are, in one way of thinking, the software solution to the hardware routing available on the Alesis. In both cases, the only way to get multiple sounds pushed through on Skype is to "fool" it into believing there's a single audio-in. But when you do that, your outgoing voice is a part of that stream. So if you un-monitor your voice, you're un-monitoring the whole signal stream, including the responses of other people over Skype and the very audio clips you're trying to play. Getting the sounds to Skype was dead simple with AHP; keeping that little voice in your head from being a loud, booming voice was the tricky bit.

Now, surely, the Alesis allows for this quite conveniently, per the wiring discussions we've had already. But going through the Multi-Mix doesn't give you per-channel recording, like Audio Hijack does. It blends it all into one single stream. (Well, technically, it does, but only if you really want to dive into Cubase. And, still, that's only helpful in recording, not necessarily pushing back those elements to Skype in real time so Ken and James can hear it live.) Using the Alesis alone would definitely be a faster way to podcast, but there's not really going to be an easy way to clean up the recording afterwards. Some mistakes would have to be endured. For instance, if you miscue a sound while a conversation is going on, there's no way to edit it out. With Audio Hijack, you can, in fact, record all your elements separately (and together), push it all to Skype and still retain the abilities to edit minor flaws out of the thing. (At least if James and Ken are using it too, and at a minimum recording their own voices live).

Note that the tutorial I linked to earlier in no way considers the possibility of sending audio clips to the listener at the other end of Skype. It merely suggests a way that you can drop them in, live, so as to minimize post production time. Setting things up as suggested there would probably improve your overall record-to-publish time, but it wouldn't give you shared audio clips over Skype.

Anyway, I eventually figured out a way to give you a way to cut out the monitor on your own voice. It's a little jury-rigged, but it seems to work. Check your e-mail for details and audio examples.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Thursday, April 26 2007 @ 11:58 AM EDT

Last night I was sidetracked with repairing some minor problems on my hard disk - what a nice surprise. Then I discovered my optical drive was not recognizing my repair utility disc... Perhaps the super drive needs to be replaced? (I was getting a bunch of coasters last weekend when trying to burn a CD. I had blamed the blank media, but perhaps there is more to it). In the meantime I was able to boot off a backup external HD and make the necessary repairs.

Anyway, the point is that I didn't get to do any fiddling with the mixer or any post production work last night.

By the way, I do use Audio Hijack Pro. A great application. Well worth the cost of it.

Cheers,
    Louis

Friday, April 27 2007 @ 03:47 PM EDT
    I have an Enhanced Podcast question for Louis. At my library we are trying to create our first Enhanced Podcast using Garage Band. For some reason, GB won't let us create an enhanced file longer than 1:06:36. I know you've made enhanced Podshock episodes of 1:33:43, 1:23:44, 1:38:33, etc. Is there something we're just missing? Or did you have to do some file merging or something to get the longer episodes?

Thanks.
    -L

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, April 27 2007 @ 10:21 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Linquel] I have an Enhanced Podcast question for Louis. At my library we are trying to create our first Enhanced Podcast using Garage Band. For some reason, GB won't let us create an enhanced file longer than 1:06:36. I know you've made enhanced Podshock episodes of 1:33:43, 1:23:44, 1:38:33, etc. Is there something we're just missing? Or did you have to do some file merging or something to get the longer episodes?

Thanks.
    -L

Hey if you check our very early episodes of Doctor Who: Podshock you will notice that they also max out at 1:06:36 as well (I am sure some listeners wish they still did). The way around this is to simply change the default beats per minute (BPM) setting in GarageBand. It is set to 120 beats per minute by default, which has a limitation of one hour and six minutes (as you have discovered). You can double that time limitation by simply changing the BPM to 60 instead of 120. There is a couple ways to change the setting, but I find the simplest way is to just click on the "120" BPM number in the user interface (towards the bottom of the interface - mimics a LED readout) and you will be presented with a slider, you can then slide it down so the BPM is lower and thus will give you more time.

Note: it is highly recommended that you do this before you begin recording and/or editing because doing it in the middle of project can have adverse effects such as either changing the pitch of recorded material or causing gaps between segments.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers,
    Louis

Saturday, April 28 2007 @ 12:38 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    Hey if you check our very early episodes of Doctor Who: Podshock you will notice that they also max out at 1:06:36 as well (I am sure some listeners wish they still did). The way around this is to simply change the default beats per minute (BPM) setting in GarageBand. It is set to 120 beats per minute by default, which has a limitation of one hour and six minutes (as you have discovered). You can double that time limitation by simply changing the BPM to 60 instead of 120. There is a couple ways to change the setting, but I find the simplest way is to just click on the "120" BPM number in the user interface (towards the bottom of the interface - mimics a LED readout) and you will be presented with a slider, you can then slide it down so the BPM is lower and thus will give you more time.

Note: it is highly recommended that you do this before you begin recording and/or editing because doing it in the middle of project can have adverse effects such as either changing the pitch of recorded material or causing gaps between segments.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers,
    Louis

That was it. We dropped the BPM down to around 40 I think and started over. That gave us plenty of time to work with.

Thanks for the help.

-L

I'm going "Full Circle" and putting my avatar back to what it was when I first joined. :)
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, February 10 2008 @ 03:08 AM EST

I just picked this up to facilitate recording on location at Gallifrey 2008 in Los Angeles later this week...

A stereo / 4 track portable recorder:

It's the Zoom H4 Handy Recorder. It has it's own built in stereo mic as well as two XLR inputs.

Cheers,
    Louis

Sunday, February 10 2008 @ 06:33 AM EST
    Louis, Father Roderick, of The Daily Breakfast podcast, uses the Z4 and the sound quality has been great. Let us know what you think of the recording (does it save the files in .wav or .mp3 and what bit rates?)

Thanks!

Sunday, February 10 2008 @ 09:45 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

I just picked this up to facilitate recording on location at Gallifrey 2008 in Los Angeles later this week...
    A stereo / 4 track portable recorder:

That looks great Louis - a cross between a Taser and something off Star Trek - BUT can it work as a Dalek voice changer! Laughing Out Loud

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Sunday, February 10 2008 @ 12:34 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Mohan] Louis, Father Roderick, of The Daily Breakfast podcast, uses the Z4 and the sound quality has been great. Let us know what you think of the recording (does it save the files in .wav or .mp3 and what bit rates?)

Thanks!

It records in both formats. Wav files in 44.1kHz, 48kHz, and 96kHz. MP3 in various bit rates from I believe 112 through 320 and variable bit rate as well.

I've tested it out to a limited degree inside my home and the sound quality is very good.

Though I haven't used it on location anywhere yet. Well, Gallifrey will be the initial test.

Cheers,
    Louis

Sunday, February 10 2008 @ 12:39 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  daveac]

That looks great Louis - a cross between a Taser and something off Star Trek - BUT can it work as a Dalek voice changer! Laughing Out Loud

Cheers, daveac

I thought the same thing looking at it. It looks like a handheld taser and it also looks like something from the original Trek. A device that Scotty would possibly use or something.

Since I am flying to LA, it looking like a taser has me a little worried about bringing it on board the plane. I imagine I am going to have to explain this thing to security.

Cheers,
    Louis

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic