The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Dark Water? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Eric Potts, Rob Shearman & Colin Baker 2006
    Eric Potts, Rob Shearman & Colin Baker 2006
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who: Podshock »  Britishisms
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Britishisms Views: 2564
     Tuesday, October 18 2005 @ 11:33 AM EDT
    On your podcast you mention at one point that the Sci-Fi Channel felt the new show was "too British".

What about the show have Americans noticed to be "particularly British"?

I noticed in "Rose", that she refers to "not having her A Levels", and she accuses him of sounding like "he's from the North".

What else have people noticed?

Tim

Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, October 18 2005 @ 11:53 AM EDT
    There are lots of very British words used in the show but I don't see why that should keep the Sci Fi channel from showing it.

Sci fi fans have adjusted to all kinds of language used on various sci fi shows and many of them are made up languages of other universes or galaxies or dimensions. Think of Farscape with frell and various other words used. Think of Firefly with shiny and all the CHINESE they speak. Sci fi channel should know by now that sci fi fans adapt and learn all the time when watching sci fi shows, they expect things to be different so Doctor Who should pose no problems for them that way. A few British colloquialisms and such should not keep them from showing it.

Sci fi channel once again shows that the do NOT understand their audience and still I wonder what they are smoking there and whether they actually employ anyone who watches sci fi at all Razz

Admiral Kristine Kochanski G.A.B. Saffron, Moonstone, Burnt Orange Team Leader http://www.gabtraders.com "O brave new world That has such people in't"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, October 18 2005 @ 02:26 PM EDT
    When people ask this question I love to make note of the “Beans on Toast” phrase. Eccelston says it in such a patronizing way, generally addressing all of humanity to “Go back to your beans on toast.” It just leaves me with an image in my head of 3 billion people in China, the Queen of England, and everyone in the world waking up in the morning to have some ‘beans on toast.’
    Very funny.

Tuesday, October 18 2005 @ 05:37 PM EDT
    You mean to say that Sci Fi Channel didn't pick up the new Doctor Who because of some language differences?

Holy frak! What kind of frelling smeg-heads run programming at that place!?!?! Isn't that shiny!

:-)

(I should take care... I review toys for their weekly web magazine... in fact my next review is for the Sonic Screwdriver.)

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Tuesday, October 18 2005 @ 11:17 PM EDT

I haven't learned anything in relation that the Sci-Fi Channel objected to the "Britishisms" or it being "too British," perhaps Ken had read something to that end, I am not sure. (But is a basic criticism against most British programming in general among all US broadcasters aside from PBS, A&E, and of course BBC America.)

What I have learned is that the Sci-Fi Channel objected to picking up the new series in its negotiations because, "Some of the executives at the network found the series somewhat lacking and didn't think it would fit into the network's schedule..."

Somewhat lacking? Rolling Eyes I find the ENTIRE channel to be somewhat lacking if you ask me (with the exception of the new Battlestar Galactica).

Arrow This information comes from IGN: The Who Report: Did Sci Fi Pass on the Series?.

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Tuesday, October 18 2005 @ 11:22 PM EDT

Sean, I love the animated Key to Time avatar you are using. Cool!

Tuesday, October 18 2005 @ 11:27 PM EDT
    I do write toy reviews for the Science Fiction Channel's web site, but I find it amazing that they could possibly have found "Doctor Who" lacking when they quite seriously produced such rare as "Mansquito", and "Hammerhead", both of which, when I saw the previews, seemed to me they MUST be parodies, or "Airplane!"-like take-offs, but ... they were serious!

One theory I have heard was that the homosexual overtones chased off any American market, but I can't see that as being possible, since I doubt they aired the entire season to prospective buyers.

No confirmation of that, needless to say. Even if it were true, you'd never hear it.

Sean.
    (The animated GIF is from "The Second Key". It's used at the bottom of each page to take you back to the index. It's modeled in Lightwave 3D and I made it an animated GIF using Gif Construction Set)

Tuesday, October 18 2005 @ 11:40 PM EDT
    The Sci Fi channel execs found the series somewhat lacking???!!!??? The same people who brought us John Edward? Lacking what? The ability to pull in large incredulous crowds who will accept anything you feed them?

Still think these dudes, or better yet duds, are smoking something very funny. Makes me think of the South Park episode where the guys are beaten in ratings by Craig's show of animals close up with a wide angle lens, which it turns out was only interesting to everyone because they were high on cough syrup Razz

But I am off on a tangent as always, if the Sci fi channel can't see that the audience that Doctor Who captured in England so far is quite an impressive and varied one, then they are the ones who are sadly lacking.

Admiral Kristine Kochanski G.A.B. Saffron, Moonstone, Burnt Orange Team Leader http://www.gabtraders.com "O brave new world That has such people in't"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, November 27 2005 @ 08:01 PM EST
    I reckon the explanation that was given on one of the podcasts (ie that the American networks prefer a series to run to around 20 episodes) to be most likely. That way, it's far easier to get it to fit in with the rest of the schedules with a minimum of fuss.

I'm betting that once season 2 is completed we'll hear an announcement from the US networks.

Let's face it, you could run the first season close to the time when most of the season premiers start (ie September) and have it run through to the pre-Christmas hiaitus with the regeneration as a cliff-hanger, then show the Christmas special over the festive period and "continue" the season (ie start showing season 2) when the networks carry on with their seasons in the new year.

Mind you. if they are going to do that, the only thing that puzzles me is what they're going to do once they get to the end of season 2. Is the US going to have to wait for another 2 years (until season 4 is completed) before the networks air the next "season"?

Abersoch

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, November 28 2005 @ 12:50 AM EST
    Abesoch, that doesn't ring quite true, as Doctor Who is currently running a 13 episode season, which is identical to Battlestar Galactica's season size.

So while I've heard many different "reasons" Sci Fi hasn't picked up Who, this one doesn't seem like it could be true, as a show of identical format is airing and doing quite well on SciFi.

I wish I had some inside info on what the SciFi network is thinking, but doing reviews for them doesn't exactly let me in on the decision process.

Sadly.

Given other "reasons" being somewhat less than zeal from America about Who, the lack of huge success of the American movie in 1996, the Britishsism (also not a good argument) and the open ambiguous sexuality throughout the series, there seem to be absolutely no good reasons the SciFi channel isn't airing Who as well as Galactica.

The two shows have far more in common with each other than most people realize on the surface, including being re-visionings of an older series, open and ambiguous sexuality, the works.

And if Sci Fi picked up Who, I think it would be as successful as BG.

Sean.

Tuesday, November 29 2005 @ 04:44 PM EST
    True, but if I remember rightly from the BSG episodes I've seen (bearing in mind I'm in the UK and they haven't aired season 2 here yet for some unknown and dumb reason) they have stopped at episode 10 in the US and will restart in January. Now if BSG runs to 23 episodes then fine but if it only runs to 20 then that doesn't leave a regular slot that Dr Who's 13 episodes could fit neatly into. Plus you have the problem that unless they pull their fingers out and start showing season 1 reasonably quickly, they are going to miss the chance to show The Christmas Invasion (TCI) during the festive season - which means they may well wait for next autumn to start screening it, so they can fit TCI in during the appropriate slot.

Pretty dumb reasoning if you ask me but I reckon that's what'll happen.

(what is it with TV networks and sci-fi anyway?)

Abersoch

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, December 01 2005 @ 09:43 AM EST
    I love the British-isms, but then again I am British and love to revel in my nations identity!!!

Seriously though - surely one of the main Britishisms is the TARDIS itself!

Overseas (especially in the US) I would have thought that the Britishness would have added to the series. Afterall, it adds to the escapism (seeing as it is mostly set in the UK), its quaintness, and the perceived eccentricity and genius of us islanders is perfect for a Sci-Fi series!

He's the strongest, he's the quickest, he's the best..... "Yorkshire is a state of mind"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, December 01 2005 @ 12:52 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Dangermouse] I love the British-isms, but then again I am British and love to revel in my nations identity!!!

Seriously though - surely one of the main Britishisms is the TARDIS itself!

Overseas (especially in the US) I would have thought that the Britishness would have added to the series. Afterall, it adds to the escapism (seeing as it is mostly set in the UK), its quaintness, and the perceived eccentricity and genius of us islanders is perfect for a Sci-Fi series!

It it is an important ingredient in the series. We have often mentioned in Podshock how it adds to the series and the last thing would want is the "Britishisms" removed.

Thursday, December 01 2005 @ 08:13 PM EST
    I just worked on a SciFi movie in Romania and I can tell you definitively that SciFi do not like non-American accents of any kind. Whether or not this is the reason for not picking up Who (though I think they have shown the film a time or two), it was made quite clear to us that we needed to have all of our actors speak with American accents. If you watch enough of these SciFi films, you'll notice how the non-stars are often "looped" - like in "Singin' in the Rain," where Debbie Reynolds revoices Jean Hagen. We brought British actors to Romania as well, and all of them were told upfront (by me, yikes) that they had to use an American accent. If you look at UK casting sites, they call it "standard American," which slightly offended me as I am from Brooklyn but have a partially Californian accent - how standard are we here???? Anyway, the world keeps getting smaller and stranger, if you ask me.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, December 02 2005 @ 05:38 AM EST
    I hear what you're saying Speedy and I agree. It's a real shame though.

There is a reluctance in the US (speaking generally) to watch overseas programmes, and I know that the networks have a history of only wanting domestic productions.

It was for this reason that Thnderbirds had an American family at the core - the idea was to make the show look like it was American so that the Networks would show it and the American audiences watch it.

It's a shame that producers feel the need to abandon their identity in order to produce a show that will be marketable in the US. I hope Doctor Who doesn't go that way - I'm sure it won't after the 1996 movie. Anyway - the Doctor Who fans (as previously stated) love the Britishness of the show!

He's the strongest, he's the quickest, he's the best..... "Yorkshire is a state of mind"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored