The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Kill The Moon? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    The Region 1 DVD Box Set of the 2005 Series
    The Region 1 DVD Box Set of the 2005 Series
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who: Podshock »  Britishisms
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Britishisms Views: 2526
     Friday, December 02 2005 @ 07:33 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Speedy] I just worked on a SciFi movie in Romania and I can tell you definitively that SciFi do not like non-American accents of any kind.

Hey! Maybe this is why Star Trek doesn't air on Sci Fi - there are too many non-US accents! Razz

(Picard, Scotty, O'Brien, Troi, that British guy off Enterprise....etc)

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, December 02 2005 @ 03:40 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Dangermouse] ...
    It was for this reason that Thnderbirds had an American family at the core - the idea was to make the show look like it was American so that the Networks would show it and the American audiences watch it.

It's a shame that producers feel the need to abandon their identity in order to produce a show that will be marketable in the US. ...

Another example would be another Gerry Anderson series he did after Thunderbirds, which is Space: 1999 which had the lead actors in the series being American. Presumably so that it could be easily marketed to the US, which it was at the time.

Well, most Americans are simply missing out if they restrict themselves to just home-brewed programming. But then again, most just watch what is feed to them by the networks... most, if not all is just rubbish.

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, December 03 2005 @ 04:44 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    Another example would be another Gerry Anderson series he did after Thunderbirds, which is Space: 1999 which had the lead actors in the series being American. Presumably so that it could be easily marketed to the US, which it was at the time.

Louis,

And the "prequel" to Space: 1999, UFO also cast an American, Ed Bishop, as the lead to play an American put in charge of SHADO. I still remember the first runs of both series here in the U.S. Personally, I would have preferred another season of UFO to Space: 1999, but that's probably just me...

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Saturday, December 03 2005 @ 04:45 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    Well, most Americans are simply missing out if they restrict themselves to just home-brewed programming. But then again, most just watch what is feed to them by the networks... most, if not all is just rubbish.

Here, here! I totally agree with that statement!

Ciotka Judi, The Polish Blonde

Saturday, December 03 2005 @ 07:30 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis] Another example would be another Gerry Anderson series he did after Thunderbirds, which is Space: 1999 which had the lead actors in the series being American. Presumably so that it could be easily marketed to the US, which it was at the time.

Actually that's very much a recurring theme with Gerry Anderson. Thunderbirds, Stingray, Fireball XL5, Captain Scarlet, UFO, Space 1999, Terrahawks - all had American accents in either lead or else very prominent roles.

And as a completely dumb piece of incidental trivia, did you know that the guy who provides the voice for British Telecom's Speaking Clock is the same man who provides the "5, 4, 3, 2, 1" count down at the beginning of Thunderbirds?

(Whoa! Sorry, just geeked out there for a minute!)

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, December 05 2005 @ 06:34 AM EST
    I didn't know that! I work for BT too!

I do know however that the original voice of the speaking clock was Pat Simmons!

"Pat was a supervisor at a London telephone exchange when she won a competition to find a new voice for the speaking clock in 1963. Her prize was £500.

Her voice was heard by up to 300 million callers every year until her retirement in 1985 when BT opted for a less clipped accent and removed the word “precisely” from the recorded announcements. Pat was then replaced by Brian Cobby, an assistant night supervisor at a telephone exchange in Brighton."

She died aged 85 last month.

They often have celebrities doing the voice, or even children - for charity.

Ah - you can tell I'm sat in a BT office!

He's the strongest, he's the quickest, he's the best..... "Yorkshire is a state of mind"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, December 05 2005 @ 07:06 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]

And the "prequel" to Space: 1999, UFO also cast an American, Ed Bishop, as the lead to play an American put in charge of SHADO. I still remember the first runs of both series here in the U.S. Personally, I would have preferred another season of UFO to Space: 1999, but that's probably just me...

Taras

Actually, this proves the point even further... both Space: 1999 and UFO were re-tooled halfway through their run to make them seemingly more 'digestible' for American audiences. With UFO they seemed to dump the character Col. Alex Freeman (George Sewell) to feature the more strong-arm character of Col. Paul Foster (Michael Billington). Which is a shame because I thought the relationship between Straker and Freeman was fairly interesting. And of course, Space: 1999 had a big change going from the first series to the second series. I much preferred the first season to the second. Even though I like Catherine Schell's Maya character, the second series was an obvious attempt to model itself after Star Trek.

I enjoy both UFO and Space: 1999... but I lean more towards Space: 1999 and would have preferred if they stayed more aligned with their first season's style and themes when they moved on to their second season. And as I said above, I preferred the first half the UFO with Alex compared the second half (not that the second half was bad, I just missed the Col. Alex Freeman character).

But I guess Gerry Anderson always had in mind making headway with the American overseas market. Perhaps it was thought that is where the money was and if it could be sold there (here) it would keep the series afloat.

Well... I need to get some sleep. I am not sure if I am making any sense at this point. Catch up with you later...

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Monday, December 05 2005 @ 06:53 PM EST
    Ah yes...

...otherwise known as the Fred Frieberger effect.

Did he ever get the chance to screw up a THIRD series?

As for me, I'm Canadian. I grew up with British TV. Tomorrow People, Thunderbirds, Space 1999, Monty Python, Man About The House, Coronation Street... we enjoyed British TV.

Here in the US (where I now live) they'd rather take a British classic and remake it with Americans ("Three's Company") than just show the original.

In Canada, the original was fine. No need to remake it.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Tuesday, December 06 2005 @ 04:34 AM EST
    Yeah, that always seems to perplex me too.

You'll hear someone saying how much they loved a British TV show (or film, or whatever) - and that they want to re-do it. If they love it so much then they wouldn't have it re-written, recasted, and re-filmed!!!

The Office and Cracker are probably two recent examples. Film-wise there's The Italian Job, a classic! The remake bore no real resemblence, it was just selling on the back of a cool retro film title.

He's the strongest, he's the quickest, he's the best..... "Yorkshire is a state of mind"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, December 06 2005 @ 07:10 AM EST
    I agree with you on The Office and Cracker. Neither could possibly touch the British original.

But The Italian Job having nothing to do with the original?

Dude!

MINI COOPERS!!! :-)

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Tuesday, December 06 2005 @ 09:23 AM EST
    But it was nowhere near as good as the original! New minis are nice cars, they are lovely, they are one of the nicest things on the road - but they aren't minis!! They are a BMW supermini car with retro mini styling. The original mini had a cute bouncy form.

I can almost picture the boardroom meeting that resulted in the decision to comission that film:

Organ Grinder
    : "We need a new film, we've done teen gross-outs using the same jokes about 6 times now - we need to jump on another bandwagon"

Monkey: "The Italian job was huge in the '60s! We could do that one"

Organ Grinder: "Hmmm, might be good"

Monkey: "We'll set it in America though and use the same film title"

Organ Grinder: "Great stuff, we could also look at doing Get Carter and Alfie as well! Get Sly Stallone on the phone!"

Well - it MIGHT have been like that! Laughing Out Loud

Expect the new summer blockbuster for next year to be "Zulu" - set in the bronx! Big Grin

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, December 06 2005 @ 05:38 PM EST
    I'm sure the hardened Doctor Who fans have probably already heard about this story but I remember reading the big Doctor Who feature they printed in Radio Times in 1996 to celebrate the transmission of the TV movie in the UK. In the feature they described some of the problems the BBC team had faced when trying to explain to the US panel of producers the importance of keeping the Doctor British.

Over the hours of the meetng the producers had suggested approaching names like Alec Baldwin, Michael Keaton and Jim Carey. "No, no, no" said one of the BBC team, "He has to be British. With the long running nature of the series we can't just throw out a Doctor with an American accent and expect the long-term fans to accept it. He has to be someone with an instant and obvious air of Britishness about him."

...and after a long pause, one of the producers piped up with "I know, David Hasselhoff!"

Ahh, what might have been...

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, December 06 2005 @ 10:46 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Abersoch] ...and after a long pause, one of the producers piped up with "I know, David Hasselhoff!"

THANK THE LORD THIS DID NOT HAPPEN!!! My gosh, David Hasselhoff??? ::::-PUKE-::::

Ciotka Judi, The Polish Blonde

Wednesday, December 07 2005 @ 12:10 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Satai Styx]
    [Quote  by:  Abersoch] ...and after a long pause, one of the producers piped up with "I know, David Hasselhoff!"

THANK THE LORD THIS DID NOT HAPPEN!!! My gosh, David Hasselhoff??? ::::-PUKE-::::

And then the TARDIS would become a car with a scanning light in the hood and it would talk?... YIKES!

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Wednesday, December 07 2005 @ 02:48 AM EST
    Oh my God! That would have been ....different!!

He's got the curly hair - he might have done a Tom Baker-esque performance!

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored