The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Kill The Moon? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Kill The Moon' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 5th

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Cyberman
    Cyberman
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who: Podshock »  Feed Me Seymour! New Feeds for Podcasts
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Feed Me Seymour! New Feeds for Podcasts Views: 1320
     Wednesday, May 28 2008 @ 03:23 PM EDT

The following is a reply I am re-posting here as a separate thread to further discuss the new feeds and podcasts under development for Doctor Who: Podshock (this message was originally posted in the "LIVE Podcast" thread):

[Quote  by:  Gabriel Chase] ok... im confused about what is happening to the feeds...

at the moment there is

1) main feed
    2) Live ie just been recorded via talkshoe feed

but as I understand it there will be

1)main feed - for studio shows
    2)Live feed ir just been recorded from talk shoe
    3) live feed edited version
    4)Podshock unbound live
    5)Podshock unbound studio

(and 6 if you count jump the pod)

is this right?

It can be confusing... I have to remind myself what feed will be what at times. This is what is being planned at this time:

1) Main Feed - Enhanced Podcasts (studio and limited live review shows)

2) Main Feed - Plain MP3 podcasts (studio and limited live review shows)

3) Doctor Who: Podshock Unbound (live open topic shows)

4) Video Feed - Video podcasts (coming soon)

5) Doctor Who: Podshock Live (raw unedited live review shows only)

The "live review shows" are the live over-the-net podcasts in which review the new episodes as they are transmitted. They will be limited to 14 per year (as per the BBC), actually next year only 4 or 5 since it will not be a full series in 2009.

As for number 5 - the raw unedited live review shows only feed this will serve the same purpose it serves today, it will enable people to get the live review shows immediately as they are recorded. They will be raw and unedited. It is essentially only for those that don't want to wait for the finished episode to appear on the main feeds.

Doctor Who: Podshock Unbound is going to be "unedited and raw" as well. These will simply go out as they are recorded. I don't want to take post-production time away from the main feed shows for this spin-off podcast. This podcast is really for those that enjoy the live over the net format and want to listen to and/or participate on it. It will be a regular weekly one hour show.

The video podcast will be just that, but it won't have any of the audio shows on the feed and there will be no set schedule when there will be a video episode.

So basically the 3 audio feeds we have now, will expand to 4. Then we will also be adding a video feed, bringing the total podcast feeds to 5. But the 2 main feeds will be identical except for the format (AAC Enhanced Podcast on one and plain MP3 on the other). So people will either subscribe to one or the other, but not both.

I hope that clears things up a bit for everyone including myself.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, May 28 2008 @ 03:41 PM EDT

There has been some debate on whether all the live internet shows should have it's own feed... and the main feed just have the "studio" shows. Even if this was to be the case, it would still not mean that the main feeds would only have the "studio" shows because the other live shows we do in front of a live audience such as the ones at I-CON, Gallifrey, and soon JumpCon will still be placed on the main feed.

The only other option would be to place the live review shows on the Unbound feed, otherwise we are looking at creating 6th feed for the live review shows.

Since the live review shows are inherited limited since we are only having a limited amount of new shows coming out each year, and even less next year, the majority of the shows on the main feed will work out to be studio shows in the end.

Anyway, what's your opinion?

Cheers,
    Louis

Wednesday, May 28 2008 @ 04:59 PM EDT

Edit, edit, edit... oh, did I mention: edit?

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Wednesday, May 28 2008 @ 05:03 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    Edit, edit, edit... oh, did I mention: edit?

That's a four letter word where I come from!

Are you saying that all the Talkshoe shows should go on the Unbound feed so that they need not be edited... they can just go out raw?

Cheers,
    Louis

Wednesday, May 28 2008 @ 05:39 PM EDT

Well if you are asking for input.

Keep it simple

How about:-

1) PodShock: Studio

Where these are shows Louis, Ken, James and (possible) guest or location are involved - this is edited and made available in Enhanced and mp3 versions.

Aim for at least 1 per month - 2 if possible

2) PodShock: Live

A focused show 'live' on TalkShoe ie. on a Dr Who episode or a nominated topic - this is available straight after the show on TalkShoe etc. and goes out 'as is' - it is not edited at a later date at all - but could also go on iTunes slightly later with no or very little 'editing' and a single 'picture screen' EDIT - goes on a different feed than 'PodShock: Studio'

Aim for 2 a month - except when DR Who is on first run in the UK - then weekly

3)PodShock: Aftershock

Where there is breaking news - goes on the PodShock: Studio feed (as it is now)

4)Don't have PodShock: Unbound at all - unless it's a podcast for 'Dr Who related stuff' ie. Torchwood, SJA's, K9 etc.

5)PodShock: VideoCast

AS and when there is material - and on whichever feed you decide

6)Jump the Pod

Whatever Louis & Ken settle on.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Wednesday, May 28 2008 @ 11:25 PM EDT
    First rule - don't kill yourselves or do so much that you lose interest in it. Anything else is negotiable.

As long as the live shows are properly labelled, I think they could all be on the same Talkshoe feed, especially since there will be fewer Doctor Who episodes to do live next year. (Probably are other live Who topics available - though that's dangerous with Unbound, studio shows, and your paying Jump show to worry about.) Keep it easy on Talkshoe - one stop for the Podshockers.

Doctor Who episodes on the Doctor Who Podshock iTunes feeds. Other (unbound) episodes on the Podshock Unbound iTunes feed. Seems easy enough.

Time will tell. It always does, except when it has Laryngitis.

Thursday, May 29 2008 @ 04:04 AM EDT
    for me the content is more important than the editing in most cases.

ie.. a live show reviewing that weeks bbc broadcast is much more enjoyable before you (as a viewer) get to watch the next ep. this isnt the case with over views of Doctors or more indepth discussions on Who related topics _ Which I am sure we will be on talkshoe once this 13 week run is over. which.. lets face it is in just over a month!

just as the SF live casts havent been that sucessful I would sugest that you dont kill yourself in editing...

take the talkshoe shows as they are.. and add artwork. then add them to the main feed. Dont bother recording the SF/later version

but instead have a Whole season review for the SF views at the end of the season.

Reduced workload. Bigger output.

And put them onto the main feed.

then once... the show is done. go back to studio shows.

id probably do 2 studio shows maybe with a guest presenter until James is free again. then one "live show" as they are popular. just not with everyone.

thats not a crime. not every episode of WHO is lived by everyone but we still love it as a whole.

I suspect that you are over engineering the whole thing.

One main feed.

One (possible) Vid feed.

and the unbounds can also be on the main feed as we are all SF fans and interested in things other than WHO. ALSO not a crime.

this is an elegant solution. which means you get it out to the largest of all audiences.

I think you are worrying about things too much. Must people just want to listen. And adding other feeds will just mess with peoples listening patterns.

Somewhere the tea is getting cold
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, May 29 2008 @ 10:35 AM EDT

The KISS principle...
    Less is more...
    Polish over product...
    Short and sweet...

oh, but you've all heard me pontificate on this before...

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Thursday, May 29 2008 @ 10:56 AM EDT
    But then there is also a lot to be said for a long, hard snog which goes on and on at least once a day. Or is that just me?

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, May 29 2008 @ 11:09 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]

Polish over product...
    Short and sweet...

oh, but you've all heard me pontificate on this before...

yeah but the time it takes to polish the product make it go off... for me...immediacy is the key.

and I think that multiple feeds is a headache waiting to happen.

its something I dont think we will ever truly agree on

Somewhere the tea is getting cold
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, May 29 2008 @ 05:24 PM EDT
    I'd rather have the 'raw and unedited' versions far more than the 'polished' versions. I can see the need for editing with interviews and guests but with reviews of episodes the quicker the better.

Love the idea of Podshock: Unbound for those of us that can't seem to think inside just one episode. Once we're into the four or five specials and not weekly this can kind of replace the weekly episode review. Sounds like a good way for fans to get their daily dose of Doctor Who if they don't have access to a fandom locally. Keep it to a loose topic each week and again keep it 'raw and unedited.'

So I guess pretty much what daveac said with a couple changes:

Podshock: Studio with Aftershock when necessary
    Available in Enhanced and mp3
    Guests or special locations, more of a formal interview than just chat.
    - Maybe also do the end of season reviews here or even special reviews?

Podshock: Unbound/Live
    Raw/Talkshoe
    Weekly episode reviews, a topic when the episodes aren't available for whatever reason. More like an internet pub meet than a news broadcast in my mind.

Podshock: Video
    I'm assuming this would require editing so it would go with studio.

Jump the Pod
    Whatever you decide on.

"You would make a good Dalek."

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic