The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Dark Water? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    An encounter with a Dalek (1984)
    An encounter with a Dalek (1984)
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who: Podshock »  Can't wait for Podshock #34!!
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Can't wait for Podshock #34!! Views: 4655
     Thursday, April 13 2006 @ 10:13 PM EDT
    Today I received my Podshock store merchandise. When Podshock # 34 is out I'll be listening to it in my Galliferyean Embassy T-shirt, while on my iMac using my Podshock mouse pad, and sipping some tea from my Podshock mug. Eek! Big Grin Cool Wink

What are the most popular brand teas over in London anyway?

Cheers to another brilliant podcast!
    Podshock rules!
    Brian Smile

Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Friday, April 14 2006 @ 12:01 AM EDT
    The best standard tea in the US is Red Rose. Give it a try.

That is to say, other than the various herbal and flavored teas.

PG Tips is also good, but not as good as Red Rose.

Not sure if you get Tetley in the US (we did in Newfoundland) but it's not as good as Red Rose.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Friday, April 14 2006 @ 04:05 AM EDT
    The best tea in my experience that can be bought in the US is called Tetley's British blend.

My favourite tea here in England has to be Yorkshire Tea. It's from my home county and is also delightful. If you have got the money, try to buy the Gold version. It's worth it.

Most planets have a North!

Friday, April 14 2006 @ 04:41 AM EDT
    And don't forget, you only get an OO with Typhoo.

But make sure you get the proper bags - not those little drawstring b**tards they try to palm you off with over there. And make it in a pot with freshly boiled water, otherwise it makes the tea taste stewed.

Can you believe that, when I was in the US someone swine tried to give me tea they'd made using their coffee machine? I won't go into details, suffice to say that they won't be making that mistake again any time soon.

Abersoch

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, April 14 2006 @ 05:17 AM EDT
    Yes - tea in America is a very strange phenomenon. The worst cup of tea I have ever had I think was in Newark Liberty International airport. Yes - the bag did have draw strings!!! Evil

Do try and get the leaves as opposed to the bags, but you will obviously need a tea strainer as well. Although tea bags are more convienient, but you can really taste the difference when you use free leaves.

James' tips for making tea:
    (feel free to add to this list!)
    1. Where ever possible try to use a tea pot.

2. Warm the pot before you add the tea or the water. This can be achieved simply by adding hot water to the tea pot and giving it a swirl out into a sink before adding your tea and boiling water. This is important because the water needs to be boiling not boiled when it hits the tea leaves.

3. Stir the tea in the pot throughly and leave the tea to brew for a few minutes. Don't leave it too long though - otherwise you will end up with nasty stewed tea!

4. Pour the milk into your cup before you add your tea. Otherwise you will scald the milk and your tea will taste sour.

5. Add sugar if you really must and sit back, relax and enjoy the finest drink known to man (next to beer)!

Friday, April 14 2006 @ 07:58 AM EDT
    that's what's great about this board. I come here to chat, and end up learning how to make a great English cup of tea. Could it get better than this? I submit that it can not!

Heath Holland

Friday, April 14 2006 @ 09:16 AM EDT
    Wink

Friday, April 14 2006 @ 09:22 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  James] 1. Where ever possible try to use a tea pot.

Preferably a Dalek tea pot! Smile

"I like those tiny little tea leaves in Tetley Tea."

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Friday, April 14 2006 @ 09:53 AM EDT
    As a tea drinker in the US, I am with all the Brits in their condemnation of US tea. That being said, I think James forgot what I consider the most important part of tea making:

ALWAYS use fresh, cold water to fill up the kettle. Don't use alredy hot water, and don't use water you've previously brought to a boil.

Also (and this is for my friend Chris who didn't know better), after you put the boiling water from your kettle into your tea pot, make sure you've left some water in the kettle or you are going to have some serious home safety issues if you put an empty kettle back down on the stove -- even if you put it on a different burner. Just add a bit of water back into the kettle so the heat has somewhere to go.

As for where to get tea: find a local co-op/ natural foods store (and I DON'T mean Whole Foods, guys). They'll sell good quality loose teas. Stick with the variety of black teas available. Don't go for small, broken, leaves, but try to find some that look like nice sized leaves that have sort of rolled up on themselves (when you put them in the boiling water, they'll unfurl).

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, April 14 2006 @ 10:05 AM EDT
    And if we delve into other teas, Earl Grey is my second fave.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Friday, April 14 2006 @ 10:32 AM EDT
    All good tips there mad4plaid.

I do enjoy a nice cup of Earl Grey occasionally. For heavens sake though add milk! Tea without milk is like the TARDIS without a hat stand.

Friday, April 14 2006 @ 11:54 AM EDT

My mom is originally from England so my Gran is very much British and tea has been a part of my life since I was very young. Your directions for making tea are spot on James to how my 95 year old Gran has always made/prepared tea. Good to see that the method still exists in England today. BTW James, I am SO enbious that you will see series 2 without having ot download it tomorrow.

Cheers,
    Russel

I am the Master and you will obey me... Listen to Ramble with Russel at ramblingruss.libsyn.com

Friday, April 14 2006 @ 09:54 PM EDT
    As an Englishman exiled to the United States I can offer some hope in the tea making stakes.

The local Kroger (signature) will usually sell a small variety of English food including Tetley tea. Sometimes you will also find P.G. Tips. Albertsons are also experimenting with "foreign" foods as well.

If you live in a large U.S. city you can usually find an "English shop" or two who will sell a wider stock of teas.

I am often endebted to U.K. goods who keep me sane over Christmas and Easter who import seasonal traditional items such as Christmas puddings and Easter eggs.

If these tips do not procure you some tea drop me a line and I can send you some Tetley or Typhoo (my favourite) from my secret tardis stash.

Forget the shooty dog thing!

Friday, April 14 2006 @ 10:58 PM EDT
    That's it Exclaimation That settle's it! After all this tasty talk, I have to invest in the proper items to make a real cup of English tea. Smile

I've had enough common sense to buy tea that isn't on a string..but now after all this I must get a tea pot, a tea strainer, and proper tea leaves!

Idea I will have a look at the big chain grocery store by me and if that fails, there is always the internet...always companies that will offer these things. Wink

Dare I say this is a start of something obsessive, yet beautiful? Thanks all for the great information! Cheers! Big Grin

Brian

Saturday, April 15 2006 @ 02:58 AM EDT

Get your tea on... because Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 34 is now available on both feeds as well as via direct downloads from our site.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic