The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Caretaker? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'The Caretaker' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 28th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 311 - 'Time Heist' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Time Heist' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 21st
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Time Heist? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 310 - 'Listen' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Listen? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Listen' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 14th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 309 - 'Robot of Sherwood' Reviewed
  • Patrick Troughton as Robin Hood Seen in 'Robot of Sherwood'

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Weeee
    Weeee
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who: Podshock »  Can't wait for Podshock #34!!
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Can't wait for Podshock #34!! Views: 4531
     Saturday, April 15 2006 @ 01:54 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  seanhuxter] .
    The best standard tea in the US is Red Rose. Give it a try.

I guess "only available in Canada" no longer applies to Red Rose. I grew up on those commericals. Personally I would give the nod to Tetleys.

Some specialty shops will stock Yorkshire Gold and (in Canada at least) it's pretty easy to find Twinnings which is what I usually drink.

If you're ever in London be sure to check out the Twinings shop on The Strand. Possibly my favourite store in the world.

Mike

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, April 15 2006 @ 03:40 PM EDT
    Twinings? Puke!!

Forget the shooty dog thing!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Saturday, April 15 2006 @ 08:00 PM EDT
    I just got done listening to #34.

Ken & Louis-
    3 Tardis Grinds for "Dalek"? Is this your lowest rating yet for a Series One episode? For shame! For shame!!!
    I'm with James, 5 out of 5!!

"Rose" was just okay but we were all glad the Doctor was back.

Starting with "The End of the World", we shifted from okay to good.

With "Dalek", the show jumped up again from good to great.

Way to hold to your guns, James!!! 5 for me as well!! lol

Saturday, April 15 2006 @ 08:17 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  atomic99] I just got done listening to #34.

Ken & Louis-
    3 Tardis Grinds for "Dalek"? Is this your lowest rating yet for a Series One episode? For shame! For shame!!!
    I'm with James, 5 out of 5!!

I am willing to give it 3 and half... but ironically, it is because I like this story so much is the reason why I can't give it a higher rating. That may sound like an oxymoron thing to say... but I really did like the whole idea and potential of the story. I love the acting by Christopher Eccleston, I like the script, but in the end, I felt disappointed because the whole story had to be squeezed into a 42 minute (give or take) episode and I think it suffers tremendously because of it. This should have been a two-parter or at the very least a special 1 hour episode similar to The Christmas Invasion. I really wanted to empathize with the Dalek character, but the journey from "evil Dalek" to a creature questioning it's existence was so fast, I could not climb on board for the journey.

This would easily have been rated four or five TARDIS groans if it was given the time it needed, I felt.

So in the end, the reason I rated it as low as I did was because indeed I did like it, the idea, the story, the concept... but felt short-changed because it was so condensed.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Saturday, April 15 2006 @ 09:50 PM EDT

Louis,

It all makes sense to me now. You are subliminally getting back at feeling short changed by the length of Dalek by increasing the length of the Podcasts... Twisted Evil

Of course, I'm kidding there, but seriously, the reason why the Dalek falls apart so quickly is that it has never had to deal with emotions like these before and therefore has no defense against them. I doubt that it could have been satisfactorily made into a modern two parter, as the logical cliff hanger would have been the revelation of the Dalek as the Metaltron, which would mean padding at the beginning of the story, not the middle or the ending. The only other good cliff hanger point in the story is the closing of the bulkhead, and the "loss" of Rose, but by then the Dalek is already an emotional mess, and the ending would be too drawn out. This may have been a good 25 minute episode three parter, with the above cliff hangers, but I don't think the pacing would work for two 45 minute episodes. I think that the episode succeeds superbly as is, if at the end of it you are wanting more, instead of yelling "no more" at the screen.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Saturday, April 15 2006 @ 10:54 PM EDT
    As I said, it was not so much the case that I was wanting more at the end. It was more of the feeling of being short-changed... feeling it was incomplete... 42 minutes didn't do the story justice. An hour or 90 minute special would have worked better for it. Imagine if Ridley Scott had to make the movie Alien with a running time of only 40 minutes or so, it would have suffered a quite deal as well. A story like this needs more time to flesh itself out.

Cheers,
    Louis

Sunday, April 16 2006 @ 02:11 AM EDT

Louis,

In this era of instant gratification, we are no longer allowed the luxury of classic series pacing. Most modern casual viewers would be gone to something else.

Now, you must be feeling even more short changed, as SciFi cut the musical instrument scene. (if I recall correctly)

Taras

Sunday, April 16 2006 @ 02:26 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    Louis,

In this era of instant gratification, we are no longer allowed the luxury of classic series pacing. Most modern casual viewers would be gone to something else.

Now, you must be feeling even more short changed, as SciFi cut the musical instrument scene. (if I recall correctly)

Taras

Oh really. I haven't even had time to watch the Sci-Fi Channel's cut down version yet. Thanks for the heads up. I can't believe they cut that out. Those doody heads!

As for today's society having mass ADD... it's too bad (though it doesn't seem to effect LOTR fans). But it really comes down to what the story is and if it can be told effectively in the amount of time given. A good example is today's episode, New Earth worked wonderfully in the time given. You need the right size shoe to fit the right size foot.

Cheers,
    Louis

Sunday, April 16 2006 @ 06:29 AM EDT
    Still trying to sort out these enhanced Podshock downloads.
    I have listenned a enjoyed the last four Podshocks in the mp3 format.
    Having found iTunes on my PC (put on by my son) I downloaded the enhanced file but couldn't get it to run.
    If you hover over the PodsShock (in this case No.34) the file mane shows as being:-

DW_PodShock_034.m4a

but downloads as:-

DW_PodShock_034.mp4

And iTunes seems to expect:-

DW_PodShock_034.mpu

Anyone? Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Sunday, April 16 2006 @ 10:30 AM EDT
    That's normal. Are you sure you clicked subscribe? Afterwards it should download the episode automatically and then will appear in the podcast section down the left-hand side.

Most planets have a North!

Sunday, April 16 2006 @ 11:01 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis] Oh really. I haven't even had time to watch the Sci-Fi Channel's cut down version yet. Thanks for the heads up. I can't believe they cut that out. Those doody heads!

As for today's society having mass ADD... it's too bad (though it doesn't seem to effect LOTR fans). But it really comes down to what the story is and if it can be told effectively in the amount of time given. A good example is today's episode, New Earth worked wonderfully in the time given. You need the right size shoe to fit the right size foot.

Now, all the complaints you had about Dalek some people have been having about New Earth. I won't go into the details here, because most won't expect to find spoilers in this thread.

Taras

Sunday, April 16 2006 @ 11:06 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  James] That's normal. Are you sure you clicked subscribe? Afterwards it should download the episode automatically and then will appear in the podcast section down the left-hand side.

No - I'm downloading the file from this site. I don't want to subsribe to iTunes - I never be downloading music - iTunes is only on my PC because my son put it on.

The enhance version of the PodShock is posted on this site - I'm just tried to run it once downloaded. The mp3 version is fine.But iTunes doesn't run it.

If I use File - Import (to iTunes) it expects a .m3u file.

Thanks for the help, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Sunday, April 16 2006 @ 11:22 AM EDT

Have you tried File > Open or just dragging the file into the iTunes window? There should be no reason to import, as this is one of the natively supported formats.

Also, podcast subscriptions are different form the iTunes Music store. You do not need to give any information for free podcasts. You can go to Advanced > Subscribe to Podcast... and paste the XML link for either the enhanced or mp3 feeds, and then iTunes can be used to check whether there is a new file on the feed. No purchase necessary.

Taras

Sunday, April 16 2006 @ 12:31 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    Have you tried File > Open or just dragging the file into the iTunes window? There should be no reason to import, as this is one of the natively supported formats.

Also, podcast subscriptions are different form the iTunes Music store. You do not need to give any information for free podcasts. You can go to Advanced > Subscribe to Podcast... and paste the XML link for either the enhanced or mp3 feeds, and then iTunes can be used to check whether there is a new file on the feed. No purchase necessary.

Taras

Right - still think I'm losing it - but here's what I'm trying to do and what I've tried so far.

Firstly I'm running iTunes as a standalone program - not automatically connecting to Aplle iTunes.

I'm not scanning my comput to find all my audio files as I already have WinAmp setup with my music files.

On my computer I've starte a special folder for Podcasts. In it - as well as older one's are two copies of PodShock 34 - the mp3 version and the mp4 version manually downloaded from this site.

In iTune I have now 'added (this) folder into it's Library
    iTunes only sees one copy - the mp3 one and it will play it fine.
    I've moved the mp3 file and tried 'addind file' to get the mp4 file into the iTunes Library - but it doesn't appear here.

If I try File - Import iTunes expects a .txt file

If I 'right click' on the mp4 file and 'open with - iTunes' nothing happens.

Do I need to change the 'file type' after download? Does it appear as an .mp4 in peoples iTunes or as something else?

Cheers, daveac

Sunday, April 16 2006 @ 12:54 PM EDT

Dave,

First question... which version of iTunes are you running. It sounds like it may be an older version. You may want to download iTunes 6 from Download iTunes 6 if you are running an old version. It is only relatively recently that they added the functionality for enhanced podcasts.

Taras

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored