The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Pamela Salem
    Pamela Salem
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who: Podshock »  Can't wait for Podshock #34!!
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Can't wait for Podshock #34!! Views: 4408
     Sunday, April 16 2006 @ 01:15 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    Dave,

First question... which version of iTunes are you running. It sounds like it may be an older version. You may want to download iTunes 6 from Download iTunes 6 if you are running an old version. It is only relatively recently that they added the functionality for enhanced podcasts.

Taras

Thanks for replying. You are right its not the newest version - when I first found t on my PC a few days ago - and I ran it for the first time it said there was an upgrade available which I downloaded and then starte to install - but a message came you the if I went ahead the update would overwrite my (my son's I suppose) 'pro' status - whatever that means so I decided to abort the update.

The version I'm using says Version 4 - reposts 4.9.0.17

So you are probably right - that it needs to be a newer version - if so I'll wait 'till I talk to my son before I overwrite it.

Thanks again, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Sunday, April 16 2006 @ 01:22 PM EDT

Right. iTunes on the PC loads QuickTime, and an upgrade to QuickTime requires a repurchase of the Pro license if you are using QuickTime Pro. I use both platforms, but only have Macs at home, so I tend to forget these little annoyances...

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Sunday, April 16 2006 @ 01:37 PM EDT
    Right. iTunes on the PC loads QuickTime, and an upgrade to QuickTime requires a repurchase of the Pro license if you are using QuickTime Pro. I use both platforms, but only have Macs at home, so I tend to forget these little annoyances...

Taras

Thanks again - It's not just that it's WindowsXP - its that although my son and daughter have left home now my computer still has 'three accounts' so when they are home they can check their email and use MSN etc.

It's funny though - each time one of them has been home - I have to give virus and spyware a full system check rather than my usual 'quick scan'

Anyway I'll stick with the mp3 format for now - but thanks for the input, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Sunday, April 16 2006 @ 01:48 PM EDT

Now, all the complaints you had about Dalek some people have been having about New Earth. I won't go into the details here, because most won't expect to find spoilers in this thread.

Taras

LOL... I know.... Though I understand what some are saying about the ending of New Earth... and as you said, I won't go into details here because of spoilers, and yes I somewhat agree with what others may be saying about it, but it didn't really take away from overall enjoyment of the episode as a whole. Whereas Dalek I felt almost like I packed my belongings and made it to the train station on time, but the train was already leaving the station and I was chasing after it and was never was able to climb on board... leaving myself a little disappointed because of it and the train looked like an outstanding ride. With New Earth I felt like I as on the train, I was enjoying the ride thoroughly even if the ride ended a little abruptly. It was still a fun ride.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Sunday, April 16 2006 @ 04:01 PM EDT
    Dave,

If you write down the registration number for Quicktime Pro (it's in the About... box) you can enter it into the updated version of Quicktime to unlock Quicktime Pro, without having to buy a new license. But yes, when Quicktime is updated to a newer version, it erases your registration key.

In my experience, Quicktime Pro is used for saving the movies to your hard drive. I used to do it with movie trailers until I did an update without remembering to write down the key.

Cheers,

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 16 2006 @ 04:36 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  sfHeath] Dave,

If you write down the registration number for Quicktime Pro (it's in the About... box) you can enter it into the updated version of Quicktime to unlock Quicktime Pro, without having to buy a new license. But yes, when Quicktime is updated to a newer version, it erases your registration key.

Cheers,

Thanks for - again I didn't know which version of Quicktime I had either. My son must have done this on one of his visits.

Found the code to write down in Quicktime under Edit - Preferences - Registration.

So I'm downloading the updated version of iTunes now.

Many thanks, daveac

Sunday, April 16 2006 @ 04:41 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Abersoch]
    But make sure you get the proper bags - not those little drawstring b**tards they try to palm you off with over there.

What is it about the drawstrings that everyone objects to? How does it affect the tea?

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Sunday, April 16 2006 @ 05:21 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    Found the code to write down in Quicktime under Edit - Preferences - Registration.

So I'm downloading the updated version of iTunes now.

Many thanks, daveac

I think I need to regenerate - or at least go and have a glass of wine.

Did the upgrade - but Quicktime didn't like the key I'd written down so it's lost it's 'prp' status.

But iTumes and Quicktime now the latest versions.

Added my 'Podcast' folder into the iTunes Library with the same result Evil

the mp3 one plays - but the mp4 doesn't even get listed.

Looking in the folder itself (on the harddrive) the mp4 copy has a 'Quicktime' icon against it - but openning the file with quicktime itself brings up the error message - 'Error 2041 an invalid sample description found in the movie'

So what now? Has anyone reading this successfully downloaded the enhance PodShock directly form the site and run it in iTunes on a WindowsXP computer -- not an Apple Mac or iPod.

Cheers, daveac

Sunday, April 16 2006 @ 05:32 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Abersoch] But make sure you get the proper bags - not those little drawstring b**tards they try to palm you off with over there.

I'm not sure about the "over there" part of what you say. I have many kids of tea importated and purchased in a number of different countries both loose and bagged. I have tea I've purchased in both the UK and the middle east that has drawstrings. Some bags have them and some don't. It's about the brand and how people tend to drink it more than what country you are in. The drawstrings can get a bit icky but there's no major impact on the final product.

Mike

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, April 16 2006 @ 05:51 PM EDT
    So what now? Has anyone reading this successfully downloaded the enhance PodShock directly form the site and run it in iTunes on a WindowsXP computer -- not an Apple Mac or iPod.

Cheers, daveac

Well after all the complicated messing about I've got it working in iTunes Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud

HOW! Well i changed the file type back to '.m4a'

and it plays and the Artwork is showing.

And all this because when I download the enhance version from the site - even though it's shown as a '.m4a' the download file saves as an '.mp4' file.

Save As box re-classes it as that and that's how it saves to disc and therefore iTunes doesn't play it.

Change it manually to .m4a - and it plays

Computers Eek!

Thanks again to all those who gave help.

Any site managers might want to add this info to any Help file - or is it already there and I didn't spot it.

Cheers, daveac - with large glass of red wine at his side!!

Sunday, April 16 2006 @ 09:27 PM EDT

We actually recommend subscribing via iTunes. It is free and you will get the episodes as soon they become available (even sooner than downloading them from the web site). After subscribing, all you need to do is launch iTunes and it will check to see if there is a new episode, if there is one, it will download it automatically.

Plus, sometimes we have little extra trinkets on our feed... such as a short video or something...

In addition, the more people subscribe using iTunes, the more it helps us to break into the top 100 podcasts... once there, we are displayed more prominently since they only display the top 100 (unless you do a search or go into browse mode)... the more people discover the podcast there and subscribe, the more the show has an opportunity to improve since we accept listener contributions to the show... It also means more leverage in getting interesting guests on the show too.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Monday, April 17 2006 @ 02:22 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  daveac] Did the upgrade - but Quicktime didn't like the key I'd written down so it's lost it's 'prp' status.

When you upgrade QuickTIme, you need a new Pro license with each new version (the first number, not the decimals), otherwise you just have the standard version.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Monday, April 17 2006 @ 07:06 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    We actually recommend subscribing via iTunes.
    Cheers,
    Louis

Well I thought I knew my way around a computer - manuals...Read Me file.... Help pages...Bah who needs them!

Well since you said it help to subscribe to PodShock to boost it into the top 100 ratings -- I've just tried with no success.

The first Dr Who I subscribed to turned out to be 'The Christmas Invasion' from the Dr Who team at BBC.

Then I found Doctor Who: Podshock and that turned out to be a 34 sec video clip.

Then I found Doctor Who:Oobshock MP3 which is again a 34 sec clip.

So I went to Podcast Directory ALL - TV & Film - which brings up 4 pages of choices - no PodShock there.

I went back to the Gallifreyan Embassy Home page and clicked on the Right section 'Doctor WhoRazzodshock' icon and that just opens up a page of xml text.

So - pleeeeese - where exactly on iTunes do I get to the Podshock 'subscribe' section.

Unless I'm much dimmer than I think - not many casual Dr Who fans are going to find Podshock.

Cheers, daveac

Monday, April 17 2006 @ 07:15 AM EDT
    So - pleeeeese - where exactly on iTunes do I get to the Podshock 'subscribe' section.

Unless I'm much dimmer than I think - not many casual Dr Who fans are going to find Podshock.

Cheers, daveac

Just tried again.

Podcast Directory - Search all Podcasts - I entered Podshock - and it comes up with the same two - Podshock (which is 34sec video 4) and a 34 Podshock mp3.

Podshock 34 isn't listed.

Anyone, daveac

Monday, April 17 2006 @ 07:30 AM EDT
    Just tried again.
    Podcast Directory - Search all Podcasts - I entered Podshock - and it comes up with the same two - Podshock (which is 34sec video 4) and a 34 Podshock mp3.
    Podshock 34 isn't listed.
    Anyone, daveac

And Again:-

Podcast directory - Search all Podcasts - I entered Dr Who (this time) and listed at 8th and 9th places are:-

Doctor Who: Podshock MP3 Gallifreyan Embassy
    Doctor Who: Podshock Gallifreyan Embassy

both have the 'subscibe' at the side - BUT these entries are both for the short 34sec video 4 clip and it's mp3 alternte.

The only other Dr Who entry is the top one BTR Productions

Cheers, daveac

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored