The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing the 2014 Series Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 30
  • Peter Capaldi Being Interviewed by Craig Ferguson in 2009 [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Preview from BBC Children in Need
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 318 - 'Death in Heaven' Reviewed
  • Doctor Who Christmas Special 2014 Promo "Trailer" Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Death in Heaven? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Death in Heaven' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 09
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 317 - 'Dark Water' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Dark Water? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Dark Water' Scheduled for Sunday, Nov 02

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Battles in Time TARDIS card case (open)
    Battles in Time TARDIS card case (open)
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who: Podshock »  Podshock competition!
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Podshock competition! Views: 3371
     Monday, November 07 2005 @ 11:22 AM EST
    Hey guys,

Many of our regular listeners will know that currently we are hosting a competition to promote the recent opening of our UK and US podshock stores. We are asking you to tell us who is your favourite Doctor and why. Was it Jon Pertwee? Perhaps Tom Baker? Maybe it will be the Doctor you grew up with, or the Doctor that mystified you the most. We want to know! Try and be as creative as possible and impress us with your wealth of knowledge!

The lucky winner will receive one of our Podshock t-shirts (of course!), along with a DVD of their choice starring their favourite Doctor, and your entry will be read out or played on the show.

You can send us an audio comment by emailing us an mp3 file. Alternatively you can leave us a voicemail message by calling the Podshock public call box (206 888 4946). You can also leave us voice mail if you have skype or gizmo - simply call podshock.

Failing that you can simply email us your entry in words or post it right here on this forum.

So far we've had very few entries - so get your thinking caps on and you might well get lucky!

The closing date will be Podshock 15 - at which time we will pick a winner on the show.

Good luck chaps!

Most planets have a North!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Thursday, November 17 2005 @ 12:52 AM EST
    First off James, great work with you and your co-hosts on your "FANTASTIC" podcasts. I recently found your podcast on ITunes and have run a PODSHOCK marathon to get caught up. I like the interaction and chemistry of all three of you folks. Keep up the good work and keep the proceedings light Smile

I can not believe you have so few submissions so far in your contest. Guess I will throw my hat in there ...

Now I was not a first time seeing fan of Dr Who. The first episode I ever saw/(briefly) was Tom Baker's The Ark in Space. Coming into the show about the third episode my first view was of a man surrounded in what looked like jello. At the time I thought...Yikes this is cheap and promptly turned the channel. It was a few years later before I had the desire to see another episode. In 1982 my local Denver PBS station began a fund raising drive. One of their teasers to watch the show was the first showing stateside of Episode 1 of Castrovalva. Now this is a instance of time maturing your tastes and opening your mind to different experiences. This episode really hit a chord with me. From the opening regeneration scene..(which I was slightly confused about being a new viewer), to the cliffhanger of the Tardis heading toward the Big Bang, I was hooked. Peter Davison was marvelous as you saw him morph before your eyes. It was great seeing this character switching identities from Baker,Troughton,Hartnell and a little Pertwee. At the first view not knowing that he was channeling past lives, I thought he was having serious breakdown problems Smile But now knowing the history it was great flashbacks to his previous regenerations. Now after giving that quick backstory of the beginnings of my fandom for Dr Who, I will answer the contest question.
    Peter Davison is my choice as favorite Doctor. Davison was "MY" first Doctor and he made it fascinating to me. Here was a young Doctor that I , a teenager, at the time could identify with. He wasnt 100% sure of himself all the time, but he had the heart of gold and always cared for his companions. In fact his caring for his companions ,namely Peri (hubba hubba) led to his regeneration into Colin Baker. He had all the traits of the previous Doctors...absent mindedness, stubborness and the like but his compassion and curiousity really appealed to me. Now after seeing episodes of all 9 (soon to be 10) Doctors I have a great appreciation for all of them. They all brought unique qualities to the role. Wonderful chaps all of them. But for me the guy that got me hooked is my favorite Doctor. Thank you Mr. Davison.

Well there is my submission..

Thanks for the great podcasts guys!

PS....I have since revisited The Ark in Space and it is a definite classic. Talk about a change it taste!

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, November 20 2005 @ 08:52 PM EST
    Hi Guys

I've been listening to you show for a while and I thought that the idea of a favorite Doctor Who competition was a great idea, but I felt that since I live in Australia instead of either England or the USA I wouldn't be in the running anyway and so I wasn't going to bother, but while listening to episode 13 I thought what the hell i send in my thoughts anyway !

I'll get straight to the point, my favourite doctor is TOM BAKER.

In Australia for many years the ABC constantly repeated Doctor Who, but of all the stuff they repeated,the later Jon Pertwee episodes and the early Tom Baker seasons seemed to be repeated the most.

Now I liked Pertwee, in fact my earliest Doctor Who memory comes from either the Monster of Peladon or The Curse of Peladon ( I'm not sure which ) and it's of Alpha Centauri and that wierd high pitched voice.

But it was Tom Baker who stuck with me, Baker had this great sense of fun when he was the Doctor, he could go from being quite silly ( at times ), to deadly serious and you believed it. Tom Baker's Doctor was also a very moral Doctor, you could feel his confict when it came to doing things like wiping out the Daleks ( which he obviously didn't do ), and trying to reason with Davros to make them better, another example of this was his outrage at the whole Pirate Planet affair, the "what's it for ?" speech was excellent!

Captain: 'I'm gratified that you appreciate it.'

Doctor: 'Appreciate it... appreciate it! You commit mass destruction and murder on a scale that's almost inconceivable and you ask me to appreciate it! Just because you happen to have made a brilliantly-conceived toy out of the mummified remains of planets.'

Captain: 'Devilstorms, Doctor... It is not a toy!'

Doctor: 'Then what's it for? Huh? What are you doing? What could possibly be worth all this?'

It was also Tom Bakers Doctor that had the two greatest companians, Sarah Jane Smith ( I know she also appeared with Pertwee ) and Romana 2 .

I was also Tom Bakers Doctor that had some of the greatest stories ever such as:

Genesis of the Daleks
    The Masque of Mandragora
    City of Death
    Pyramids of Mars
    The Robots of Death

and that's just naming o few of them.

Season 14 also features the secondary console room, which was my favourite console room from any version of the show .

The other Doctors all have their good points ( and bad ), but Tom Baker was the Doctor I grew up with and I enjoyed his Doctor's sense of humor and fun.

Well that's part of why Tom Baker is my favourite Doctor ( I could go on for ages ).

I'm enjoying the podcasts and look forward to the next.

PS.... The Doctor that mystified me the most was Peter Cushing !!!

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, November 24 2005 @ 12:13 PM EST
    I have to begin by saying congratulations on your podcasts. I've been listening for a while and they keep getting better and better. Informative, but also fun and approachable. iTunes is downloading episode 14 now and they are well worth the time it takes...even on dial up. (By the way, I happened to notice this morning that Podshock is now listed in the external links section for Doctor Who at Wikipedia along with Tom's PodcastWho.)

The question as to my favorite Doctor is a difficult one to answer. Probably the obvious answer would be to say Tom Baker since he is the first one I 'met'.

Like most in the States, I discovered Doctor Who through its broadcast on PBS. The first episode I recall must have been The Sunmakers...I distinctly recall Leela and K9 as the companions. But I didn't really become a dedicated fan until a couple of years later, joining a local fan club, traveling to conventions and even helping to organize one.

Shortly afterward, I was introduced to Peter Davison's Doctor (although I was already peripherally aware of his Doctor) and came to appreciate his youthful approach. But it wasn't long before I got to see where it all started when PBS began airing all the existing shows from the beginning, in order. In viewing this way, I found something with each Doctor that appealed to me.

If I were to pick a favorite Doctor based on repeat viewing habits, it would probably be a tie between Jon Pertwee's Doctor and Tom Baker's Doctor. When looking for something to view, I invariably pull one of their tapes or DVDs.

I like the situation of Pertwee's Doctor being Earthbound and his non-stop work to break the Time Lord's will by getting the Tardis working. Stories like Inferno, where he slips into an alternate Earth, are classic. There was an effort during his time to be more science oriented, even when it was pseudo-science. (Who could ever forget Pertwee's oft-repeated phrase, "Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow"?) And with his companions, it was possible to see him working with Liz Shaw as an equal and with Jo Grant as a teacher/father figure in his capacity as Unit's scientific advisor.

By contrast, I enjoy Tom Baker's Doctor because he was more of a bohemian. While he was conscientious of doing what was right, he also did what he wanted to do...even if it was a fishing break while collecting the segments to the Key to Time. No matter what companion was travelling with him, you knew they were in for quite an adventure with large doses of unpredictability.

But now there is new competition for favorite Doctor with Christopher Eccleston's Doctor. I've only seen about half of the shows since a good friend sent them to me but I'm already fascinated by what I have seen. Like Tom Baker's Doctor, he is something of an adventurer and obviously enjoys the adventure, but there is an added tragic element beneath that and it is all too briefly touched on.... I'd love to see that story explored more as the show continues.

(However, the Doctor may have a bit of competition of his own for favorite character with Captain Jack. Love Captain Jack! But this is about favorite Doctor....)

So who is my favorite Doctor? Yesterday, while watching An Unearthly Child on the 42nd anniversary, I might have said William Hartnell's Doctor. If I watch an Eccleston episode today, he'll be my favorite. Next year, I'll watch David Tennant as the Doctor during which I'm sure he'll be my favorite. So, I guess my favorite Doctor depends on which one I'm watching at any particular moment.

To paraphrase the Brigadier... Wonderful chap. All of them.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, November 25 2005 @ 07:09 PM EST
    Sorry guys! I really did try to leave a voice message but I guess what I wrote was too long because I got cut off. 'Tis a shame too since I spent ages trying to read this without flubbing. Rolling Eyes Oh well, without further delay, here's my entry...

Someone once replied when asked who was their favorite Doctor, "Whichever one I happen to be watching at the time". And while that may seem like a bit of a cop out, truth is, I think every actor in the televised history of Doctor Who has been wonderful. Each new Doctor brought with him a personality that, no matter how different his predecessor, still seemed to very much own the role. Even Peter Cushing and Paul McGann brought something to the mix and each, in my opinion, were just as good.

So who is my favorite Doctor? At the moment it's the one I happen to be watching..... Sylvestor McCoy.

First, a bit of history:
    About a year ago, as the first episode of the new series leaked it's way across the internet, I found myself falling back in love with a show that had quietly disappeared from my life. Saturday nights as a child were spent staying up way past my bed time -- just barely getting the PBS broadcast signal across Lake Michigan from Chicago's very own WTTW [ch. 11].

As we watched the new series, my wife quickly fell in love with the show's concept and I took this as the perfect opportunity to introduce her to the series. Over the proceeding months it became a mad dash to acquire as many episodes as I could and rewatch them in chronological order.

And now, several months later, we're timed perfectly @ the end of McCoy's era. Very soon we'll be watching the Holiday themed Paul McGann movie, rewatching Eccelston and then on to the Christmas Invasion; just in time for...well, Christmas!

But I digress.

Why is Sylvestor McCoy my favorite Doctor? Because his series, in my opinion, was about as bad as Doctor Who gets. While the show was still pretty interesting to watch, when compared to previous Doctors, his adventures were downright awful. And before anyone comes screaming to his defense just remember, at one point he fights a baddie mad of CANDY!

But let's start this rant off right as to what makes McCoy's 7th Doctor so great: Through it all McCoy was really up against it. In a lot of respects he was the Patrick Troughton to a beloved William Hartnell. The future of the series really depended on him doing it right or the show could be doomed for yet another lenthy hiatus. And tho it was, I don't place any blame on Sylvester McCoy. He did the best he could with what he had to work with and ran with it.

But just how bad was it? Consider this:

By the time he appeared in 1987 Doctor Who was pretty much considered a joke. BBC management had previously placed the show on hiatus for 18 months after Colin Baker [the 6th Doctor's] first full season. It had also gained the stigma of being the show your parents used to watch with the wobbly sets. It also didn't help matters much when it returned in 1986 with a 14-part story arch known as The Trial of a Time Lord which, in my opinion, couldn't have gotten anymore convoluted if it had tried. I later discovered that the final episode had been written by a completely different team because the original author of the first 13 episodes had passed away.

Be that as it may, the infamous Trial of a Time Lord set McCoy's portrayal of the Doctor up with more than a few unanswered questions. Like, where the hell did all the continuity go?!

Nicola Bryant (who played the companion Perpigillium Brown) was first introduced in Peter Davidson's era. She lasted nearly the entire span of the 6th Doctor. But then, in the episode Mindwarp, when the Doctor comes to her rescue as he has so many times before, he's whisked off to trial. There's no real sense of closure and the last time we get to see her it's with a shaved head! Later we learn that she went off to marry the leader of a band of rebels where she now rules as queen.

You'd think that when this whole arc finishes he'd find the time to go back and at least offer her a ride back home instead of that nasty, rocky planet he left her on, but nooooooo.

In her place we get Mel, a bit of an irritating whiner who just suddenly appears in the TARDIS yelling at the Doctor as he rides an excerise bike. There isn't really any back story here and how he had a chance to meet her is a bit of continuity hiccup I still haven't been able to figure out. After all, he was at trial, not trapassing around the universe, so how did he meet Mel? The show also hints that by the time we are introduced to her their relationship has already matured....I couldn't figure out if they were supposed to be old friends at this point even tho they bickered like husband and wife!

So now that we understand the atmosphere of the show, let's look at Sylvestor McCoy's series from the very beginning, starting with the new opening credits. While the computer graphic intro is pretty cool and the new synthed-out version of the theme is to be expected for the late 80s who's idea was it to paint the Doctor up in silver face paint? Every time he winks at me I can't help but think he's saying "I know I look like somebody's grandfather pretending to be a cyberman but trust me, I'm the Doctor!"

I suppose it's understandable why Colin Baker didn't return for the regeneration sequence but I must admit, I sort of liked McCoy in the patchwork costume for most of that first episode. His eventual outfit seemed more toned down although a little heavy on the question marks. Perhaps they felt they had previously overdone it a bit.

As a character actor I thought McCoy brought in a kind of spry youthfulness, something that was sorely missing from the previous 2 Doctors. It was nice to get some sense of humor back and the Chaplin-esque manurisms (like running down a hallway and turning the corner by hopping on one foot) were clever.

I've since learned that Sylvestor was an ex-hippie and was even a bouncer at one point in the 60s for a Rolling Stones show. [It's amazing the kinds of things you learn through various documentaries!] It's also said that his coat was badly damaged in an explosion on set during the filming of The Greatest Show in the Galaxy, which is why later episodes he wore a darker coat. I don't think my PBS channel carried any episodes of Doctor Who beyond this point which is why it came as some surprise.

As a companion, I enjoyed how they fleshed out Ace's character. She's the next best thing to the 9th Doctor's Rose and it's always nice to see a strong female lead. My only gripe: she keeps calling the doctor "Professor" even tho it was one of his conditions when he first took her on as a companion for her to stop calling him that. I mean, it was cute for the first couple eps, but got annoying as it went on!

It's also a sad thing but has to be mentioned that during hiatus most of the TARDIS set had been destroyed. And as such, some of the last shots we get of the interior literally have sheets hanging in the background with the lights turned down real low. The roundles in the walls have been replaced with huge boards with holes cut out. It's pretty sad, really. Cry

In some episodes you actually see the thick power cables that run along the floor to the console. It's amazing how in 25 years the camera manages to never show them through out the various console rooms yet during the McCoy era it happens quite a bit.

It should also be noted that we start getting a synth-rock oriented soundtrack instead of the keyboard refrains from previous adventures. While it does manage to move the more action packed sequences forward, it does so while really dating the stories. One listen and you know you're in the 80s... Cool

Here's a quick glance of some 7th Doctor highlights and why some stories weren't very good (no spoilers here, folks):

Time and the Rani: The Rani had such potential as a menacing female Timelord and here she dresses up and pretends to be Mel. Even though the Doctor has amnesia and can't even remember who HE is, she still feels the need to do a really awful Bonnie Langford imitation.

Paradise Towers: The TARDIS get vandalized long before the BAD WOLF comes around. There's also a major male character in this story named Pex... Which has got to be one of the most awful names in scifi history! Rolling Eyes

Delta and the Bannermen: I dunno... Whoever pitched the idea of the Doctor going to Disneyland needs to have their head examined. And yes, they do mention DISNEY a few times in this episode.

Dragonfire: The episode 2 cliffhanger has got to be one of the lousiest Doctor Who cliffhangers ever. It's literally a CLIFFHANGER! It was completely unnecessary and makes little sense why the the Doctor would even put himself in this situation. (Episode 3 features more of that mysterious TARDIS power cable.)

Remembrance of the Daleks: This is actually one of my favorite McCoy stories because he really starts letting his character show. "Hey Ace, give me some of that Nitro 9 you're not carrying!" A bit of trivia: Joseph Marcell, the Jamaican guy who gets the Doctor a cup of tea and discusses cutting sugar cane is the same actor who would later play the butler in the Fresh Prince of Bel Air just a few years later. (Thanx DVD commentary!)

The Happiness Patrol: the Tardis gets vandalised AGAIN. Pink is not a good color on her.

Silver Nemesis: An odd Cyberman story.. and the Doctor builds Ace a boombox?

The Greatest Show in the Galaxy: As some point someone said, "you know what there isn't enough of in Doctor Who? Rap." And so throughout this episode we get some dope rhymes. Awwww yeah. Laughing Out Loud

And finally,

Battlefield: Ok, so John Pertwee's Doctor used to drive around in this classic yellow car called Bessie. In The Five Doctors episode while driving around he's suddenly whisked away to Gallifrey where later meets Sarah Jane. Bessie overheats and is left behind while the 2 make their way to the dreaded tower. At the end of the episode, all the Doctors (sans Tom Baker) get into the TARDIS in their own respective time dimensions and dematerialize. So how did Bessie end up back on earth?! Sure it was neat seeing it back in action but....again, more strange continuity issues.

I'll spare the remaining episodes and reiterate that Sylvestor McCoy is a great Doctor in his own right. It's a shame they knocked him off too quickly for the movie. If I had my way, (are you listening Russell T. Davies?) I'd love to see a Four Doctors episode - A complex anniversary special maybe with McCoy, Paul McGann, Christopher Eccleston, and David Tennent.

Age isn't really a factor for the actors here since so much time had lapsed between the series and the movie and there never was a McGann/Eccelston regeneration filmed.

If memory serves, there was a 2 doctors episode with Colin Baker and Pat Troughton... And a 3 Doctors episode with the first 3. How cool would a 4 Doctors episode be?!

Profile    PM    Email   

Saturday, November 26 2005 @ 01:28 PM EST
    This will be fairly short, since I am not that loquacious. My first doctor was Jon Pertwee, back in the mid-1970s when the program was shown on TV in Boston. Then I missed it for a while, and when I tuned back in there was someone else claiming to be the Dcotor! This was too confusing, so I stopped watching. But I got back to it some years later in Detroit when it was shown on our public TV station.

My favorite Doctor, though was Sylvester McCoy. I certainly enjoyed his sense of humor, but more than anything what attracted me was the introduction of a sense of mystery as to who the Doctor is. I really wanted to tune in each week to see if there was any more information on this. So needless to say I felt very cheated when the series was cancelled before we found out where it was going.

-- Kevin B. O'Brien zwilnik@zwilnik.com

Sunday, November 27 2005 @ 09:30 AM EST
    To PolyphonicAsthma and Ahuka, I highly recommend you two stay AWAY from rec.arts.drwho, the newsgroup, then.

They have a nasty hate on for Sylvester McCoy, and nothing can stop them from constantly posting troll posts about him.

It's like McCoy personally shot their dogs or something.

For your own sanity, stay away from there...

Take it from me. I like McCoy too. (Not as my all-time fave, but I really did like him and Ace.) (Ace... drooollll...)

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Thursday, December 01 2005 @ 09:57 AM EST
    WOW! YES!

Everyone knocks good old Sylvester McCoy, but here people reach out and drag him by the tank-top to their warm and loving bosom - he was my favourite Doctor too!

For a start he played two different doctors!!! (I suppose he's the only doctor to ever regenerate into himself!!!!)

Like PolyphonicAsthma says, the show was ran into the ground and it was shciking poor with regards to sets and monster costumes - the 80's doctor who is one of the main eras that give it the 'wobbly sets' image. But McCoy was such a fun doctor, and such a string character that he still carried the show. He wasn't young - but he had a mischievous boyish charm, he was quirky, and he could pull the best facial expression of any doctor (watch him morph into Paul McGann!!!).

He had such a good relationship with Ace too, they were friends, and he had that paternal protectiveness. He was ace too.

I know too late for the competition now - but what the hell! Sylvester McCoy, you're my favourite doctor!

He's the strongest, he's the quickest, he's the best..... "Yorkshire is a state of mind"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, December 04 2005 @ 07:41 PM EST
    Hi guys

I only started listening recently and have been playing catch-up for the past couple of weeks (not easy either considering my iPod went up the spout and I've been having to burn your episodes onto CD). I didn't think the competition would still be running by the time I caught up but it is so I figured I would help you out and submit my entry to the competition.

Well done on an excellent show by the way. You've even inspired me to get Skype. Keep up the good work and here's to the next 16 episodes of Podshock.

Abersoch

-------------

Oh well, here goes....

My Favourite Doctor would have to be:

Tom Baker

Now, this is not an easy choice because as a child my first Doctor was Jon Pertwee, who reminded me very much of a kind uncle – charming, courteous, likeable, never lost his temper and very protective of his assistants. I still remember watching Planet of the Spiders, having been absolutely terrified at the time of the now (I realise, sadly) naff special effects as this lovely man said goodbye to Sarah Jane and transformed into a much younger looking man with lots of hair. I remember thinking “oh, I’m not going to like him.”

Well, by the time Robot had finished I was hooked. I had a new "uncle" and this one was going to be even more fun. I still feel a guilty pang at choosing Tom over Jon but it has to be done. Tom’s was a brilliant Doctor. He took a well established role and went off in a completely different direction from any of his predecessors …and it worked. Who else (pardon the pun) could get away with strolling calmly up to some megalomaniac hell-bent on the destruction of the universe, while wearing a long coat, floppy hat and 20 foot scarf and asking, with a mischievous glint in his eye, “would you care for a jelly baby?” Great as Pertwee was, even he couldn’t have done that!

Tom Baker’s era marked some of Doctor Who’s finest stories - The Pyramids of Mars, The Ark in Space, Genesis of the Daleks, The Robots of Death, The Brain of Morbius, The Key to Time, The City of Death and that’s just a few of the many. And what about those cliff-hangers?! To this day I can still remember the gut-wrenching lurch I felt as a 6 year old during The Ark in Space, when the Doctor found Sarah Jane in a hyper-sleep pod and opened the next pod along to have this huge black bug fall right out onto the TV screen. What with that and the horrible screeching swirl of the end-titles music I nearly wet myself in terror and decided there and then never ever to watch Doctor Who again. Needless to say, I was right there in front of the TV the following Saturday to find out what happened next.

And that’s just one of the many terrors that was in wait for me - Sarah Jane rolling down a hill and her face falling off in “The Android Invasion”, her shocking plunge from the scaffolding during Genesis of the Daleks, that nasty greenhouse full of man-eating plants in “The Seeds of Doom”, the robed figure of Scarman burning his henchmen to death with his hands in “The Pyramids of Mars” and of course the sheer exhilaration of watching the Doctor wandering across a mysterious, smoky plain, only to discover he’s on Skaro and knowing that the Daleks might show up at any moment – all moments of joyful terror that only a child can truly know and appreciate. Ok, so they’re not scary to watch as an adult but when you’re 6 they’re guaranteed “behind the sofa” moments.

And let’s not forget the toys Tom Baker’s era inspired. Ok, so the BBC had issued toy Daleks but I don’t recall seeing any Doctor Who toys marketed with the same vigour before Tom Baker was around. I can still remember the Tom Baker doll I got for my 7th (or was it 8th) birthday, with his hat, scarf and sonic screwdriver. The kid next door got the Robot and we spent hours battling each other. And then there were the figures of K9, Leela and the TARDIS into which you put the figures, pressed the button and they magically disappeared. I never got them but my cousin (who always had to go one better) did …bastard!

Throughout Tom’s era the stories remained fresh and moved on with the times. From Sarah Jane’s intriguing dress sense to Leela’s skimpy outfits (definitely one for the dads there), from the introduction of an electronic companion to the two incarnations of a timelady companion there was always something new and exciting to see and each story brought forth yet more terrors to be braved. In contrast to today’s world of big name, multi-million dollar budget TV shows that last 5 seasons before cancellation (if you’re lucky!) Tom Baker’s era spanned 8 years of a series that had already run on a shoestring budget for more than 11 before he arrived. And when he left there wasn’t even the slightest suggestion of cancelling the series.

Finally, Tom Baker is my favourite Doctor because he WAS Doctor Who. If that sounds strange, let me qualify it. Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee… all were excellent actors but all were well known for other work before they joined Doctor Who (even Davidson was “that bloke from All Creatures Great and Small”). Baker was relatively unknown and for someone to come in and take that part so definitively by the horns and make it his own – one minute irreverent and unhinged, the next coldly brutal and calculating – takes pure twisted genius!

On Podshock it has been said that Doctor Who wouldn’t have lasted were it not for Patrick Troughton. That’s a fair point. But for me, as someone who started watching Doctor Who with my beloved Jon Pertwee, I know that my enjoyment after he left wouldn’t have lasted half as long were it not for the immense talents of Tom Baker. He took me and a generation of children on a whole host of Doctor Who’s finest, strangest, most exciting and terrifying adventures and that’s why he remains my favourite Doctor.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, December 04 2005 @ 07:57 PM EST
    I agree with you Abersoch, Tom Baker was awesome, I've been suprised by how many people like Sylvestor McCoy's doctor, I don't care for most of his run on the show, but I did enjoy him in the American TV movie and I've enjoyed some of his Big Finish stuff.

There are 3 absolutes in life

Sean Connery IS James Bond
    Christopher Reeve IS Superman

TOM BAKER IS DOCTOR WHO !!!

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, December 05 2005 @ 06:22 AM EST
    And...

..Christopher Lee is Dracula!

....he loves his Steaks, but they give him heartburn. Garlic doesn't agree with him either.

He's the strongest, he's the quickest, he's the best..... "Yorkshire is a state of mind"
      Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, December 05 2005 @ 03:18 PM EST
    Dangermouse you rock man, I love Hammer Horror so of course

Christopher Lee IS Dracula

Peter Cushing IS Van Helsing and Doctor Frankenstein and ISN"T Doctor Who

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, December 05 2005 @ 03:40 PM EST
    Ha ha ha!! Fab stuff! Laughing Out Loud

I do love the Peter Cushing Doctor who films though - it was possibly those that really got me into Dr. Who (I was a dalek fan before a Doctor Who fan! And so I loved the films)

And Gene Wilder is Willy Wonka!!

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, December 05 2005 @ 03:53 PM EST
    Yes the Peter Cushing Films have grown on me over the years as well but I do remember seeing one of them on TV years ago and thinking What the hell is this ?, but apart from the Hammer Stuff and of course Star Wars.

I haven't really seen much of Peter Cushing's work ( I think he did an episode of The Avengers and later Space 1999 ), given the type of roles he usually played I wonder who it was that thought "I know we'll get Peter Cushing to play Doctor Who"

and of course

Jim Henson IS Kermit the Fog

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, December 05 2005 @ 07:36 PM EST
    All this talk about Peter Cushing (btw Christopher Lee was in Space 1999 too, as I recall) reminded me about the comment on PodShock about seeing if someone would enter the competition with a shout for Peter Cushing as their favourite Doctor.

Don't think I could rise to the challenge but I reckon an even bigger challenge would be to write an entry about why David Tennant is your favourite Doctor?

Incidentally David Tennant is starring in an ITV drama called "Secret Smile" which airs next Monday. According to www.david-tennant.com:

"Autumn 2005 sees David taking on the role of psychotic stalker Brendan Block in the ITV dramatisation of the Nicci French novel, Secret Smile.

"Two-part drama, starring David Tennant, adapted from Nicci French's bestseller. Tennant plays Brendan Block, a man with disturbing psychotic tendencies, who dates Miranda Cotton (Kate Ashfield) and then, when she dumps him, her younger sister Kerry (Claire Goose)."

I saw the trailer for it tonight and he does look disturbingly convincing as a psychotic.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored