The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Time Heist' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 21st
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Time Heist? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 310 - 'Listen' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Listen? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Listen' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 14th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 309 - 'Robot of Sherwood' Reviewed
  • Patrick Troughton as Robin Hood Seen in 'Robot of Sherwood'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Robot of Sherwood? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Robot of Sherwood' Scheduled for Sunday, Sept 7th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 308 - 'Into The Dalek' Reviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Daleks Invade Manchester:- Dalek Picture 36
    Daleks Invade Manchester:- Dalek Picture 36
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who: Podshock »  Thank You, Mike Doran
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Thank You, Mike Doran Views: 1118
     Tuesday, July 04 2006 @ 10:48 AM EDT
    Thank you, Mike, for being a voice of reason on shocking 45th episode of Podshock. I agree with you one-hundred percent about Love and Monsters and every single point you made describes exactly how I feel about this episode. You are not alone! I did, however, find the editing in of sounds from Scooby-Doo and Louis' comments somewhat offensive. Just because he doesn't like it doesn't mean he has to make the rest of us that do like it feel like we're a bunch of childish buffoons. Quite honestly I was shocked to hear my favorite show being torn apart like a ragdoll by "fans".

chown -R me ./inferno && cat season3 | grep gunfighters > /dev/null
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, July 04 2006 @ 11:11 AM EDT
    I downloaded the episode yesterday, and now I can't wait to listen!

I came down hard on the side of loving this episode (Love & Monsters), it's going to be an interesting couple of hours.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, July 04 2006 @ 12:14 PM EDT
    Yes, it was truly awful. Did we really need all that cartoon stuff in an already over long podcast? It was enough to make me stop listening to podshock in the future.

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, July 04 2006 @ 01:15 PM EDT
    Haven't you guys ever listened to a Mark Kermode film review on BBC Radio 5? Now *that* guy is a pretty unforgiving ranter! Big Grin

I didn't agree with anything Luis had to say about Love and Monsters but I can certainly appreciate his passion for the show. Likewise I certainly don't take conflicting opionions or a bit of ribbing personally.

"One must forgive a rant today so that one's own rant will be forgiven tomorrow"

If Worzel Gummidge and the Third Doctor had a fist fight - who would win?

Tuesday, July 04 2006 @ 01:39 PM EDT

I too am delighted that Mike was able to join us and give a completely opposing view of the episode than my own.

I already responded to this in the comments section of the podcast posting... but I will re-post it here for those that may have missed it.

Repost from the Comments:

Hi Teshia,

I am sorry if you felt insulted in any way by my review of this episode or the contents of this podcast. It was not my intent. I made it clear in this podcast that just because I thought the episode was rubbish, I still respect what others thought of it, even if it is completely opposite of mine.

I do feel this episode was a cartoon. That is not an insult to those that like it. Hey, I like cartoons. As I said in this podcast, I also love Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (the original radio series, television series, computer game, book, etc.), as well as Ghostbusters, and yes, even the cartoon Scooby Doo... and the alike. So if it was meant as an insult, I am insulting myself as well. It was not. I just don't think it is what Doctor Who should be about. But having said that, Doctor Who is different things to different people. So even though I may not agree what others thought about this episode, I don't believe that they are idiots, morons, or buffoons... not at all.

I enjoyed this podcast because of the varying opinions in it. I enjoyed having everyone on the show giving it different takes... If we all hated it and trashed it... I think it would be less fun.

So I apologize if I made anyone upset if they like Love & Monsters... it was not my intent to insult anyone. I may have felt very disappointed watching this episode, but I am not angered by anyone that felt otherwise.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Tuesday, July 04 2006 @ 01:46 PM EDT
    Well I certainly appreciate you replying about it. I do want to thank you for that and I also did want to thank you for the suprisingly quick turnaround time between episodes 44 and 45. I'm sure we're all pleased that we have so much to listen to this week.

chown -R me ./inferno && cat season3 | grep gunfighters > /dev/null
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, July 04 2006 @ 03:55 PM EDT
    I still haven't heard the latest Podshock... pretty busy today, no time... but on Love & Monsters

I think it really was a cartoon, but a good one. It was completely the delusional reporting of what one very strange man considers really happened, and it could be that very little of what we saw was real. This is pretty well-established right up-front when we see the Scooby chase through the disused factory.

Now that I have had more time to think about it, I think that if they had done portions of this episode as real, animated cartoon, it would have been even more perfect.

But as it is, I loved it for what it was. I didn't think it was the best episode of this season, or last season, as it has some pretty stiff competition, but as a delusional rant from a not-quite-all-there kid whose early childhood development was warped by an encounter with the Doctor, it was a well-executed style piece.

I far preferred it to "Boomtown", the nadir of last season, and to "The Idiot's Lantern", the nadir of this season.

Loved Elton. I'd love for him to become a companion, honestly.

Don't forget... the last scene in this episode could have been, and was most likely was, entirely in his imagination. We never see Ursula's stone-face on camera, and it's only the camera we can trust. We can't even trust her voice, as that, too, could be in Elton's head.

Now to find time to listen to Podshock 45!

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Sunday, August 06 2006 @ 01:40 PM EDT
    Sorry I never answered this thread when it was started. It was the week of the TCON convention in Toronto and I never had a chance to respond so here I am replying about a month late.

It's on the record how much I enjoyed "Love and Monsters" and although there were a variety of opinins about the episode during the review I did feel that there was respect on all sides of the debate. I can understand why Louis doesn't like the peisode even though I think it's silly that he thinks it's not Doctor Who. For him it might be really bad Doctor Who but it's still Doctor Who. Likewise Louis knows that I think the episode is absolutely fantastic Doctor Who and is perfectly willing to accept that. We all put our opinions forward without having to blurt "you're wrong!" at each other at any point.

I was pleased to be able to take part in a very interesting debate where all kinds of opinions were represented and heard. I think it's great when Doctor Who fans can watch the same episode and absolutely disagree about everything but remain respectful about it with other and have a good time talking about it. Plus there's nothing mroe boring than when a group of people all agree with each other.

This isn't always the case with Doctor Who fans and sometimes we really do see fans disrespecting each other over their opinions. Sadly I think we hear some of this disrespect towards fans with a different opinion in the Podshock Series Two roundtable.

Mike

EDIT: I should add that I've not heard the finished product for this episode. My opinions are based on the recording session where we put the episode together.

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought."
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, August 06 2006 @ 02:10 PM EDT
    I haven't heard the roundtable episode(s) yet, so I can't speak on that.

But I love the idea of hearing different opinions of the same episode, and enjoyed the Love & Monsters episode because of that. What bothered me about the Love & Monsters episode was all the Scooby Doo sound clip business. It was overdone, in my opinion. Once would have been clever and amusing. I feel like Louis let his personal opinion of the episode carry over into the post production phase, so the "cartoon" idea was sort of presented as the de facto Podshock position by the liberal use of Scooby Doo clips at beginning middle and end of the show (if I recall correctly). We know, of course, that there was no real consensus and in fact the opinion was nicely split among our grand Podshock crew. But again, I feel that the heavy-handed use of Scooby clips "forced" a negative feeling about Love & Monsters even though the actual reviews were, again, pretty evenly split.

All this is not to malign Louis -- please know that I love and respect everything you do for us by releasing Podshock at all. This is just my own personal constructive criticism and I hope it's received in the manner it was intended.

Love and kisses!

Neil

http://thatneilguy.blogspot.com

Sunday, August 06 2006 @ 03:15 PM EDT
    Well I've only just got round to listening to this Podshock and I've got to say.... I LOVED IT!

Louis, you was spot on and the Scooby Doo clips summed up Love and Monsters exactly!!

I also agree completely with the sentiment expressed on the show that the episode would have been a lot better if they had of just had a 'blank' paving stone at the end.

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, August 06 2006 @ 03:27 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  capricorn1]
    I also agree completely with the sentiment expressed on the show that the episode would have been a lot better if they had of just had a 'blank' paving stone at the end.

I, too, think this would have been a great choice. I think Paul on the Whocast mentioned seeing that someone had re-edited the episode to make this happen. Maybe we can use our collective Podshock influence to get a director's cut of this on the dvd...

http://thatneilguy.blogspot.com

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed