The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 303 - 'The Invasion of Time' is Reviewed
  • Dozens of Doctor Who guests converge on Long Island this November!
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 302 - Terry Walsh Interviewed

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Nicholas Briggs
    Nicholas Briggs
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who: Podshock »  Podcast duration
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Podcast duration Views: 3590
     Wednesday, August 09 2006 @ 04:56 PM EDT
    Hi all,

It's taken me a while to make it over to the forum, although I've been listening to the podcast for many months now.

Apologies if this is the wrong thread - feel free to merge with any others moderators!

I just wanted to give my humble opinions as a listener on the length of each podcast, as I'd rather make my views known than simply stop subscribing. Basically I feel that 2 hours a week is becoming a bit too much for my sanity, and wondered if there were any plans to cut back the duration of the casts?

I've mentioned this over on OG, but my ideal podshock would look something like this:

Intro and news - 15 minutes
    Reviews for the week - 15 minutes
    Listener feedback - 10 minutes
    Special feature/general chat - 10 or 15 minutes

This should bring it down to a tidy 1 hour or so.

It would mean some self discipline from the lads, but having spoken to a few other listeners in the UK, and reading comments on OG, I think some loyal listeners are getting put off by the current format. It's a shame if this is the case, as the podcast does a great job of promoting the show, with unending enthusiasm from Louis, Ken and James.

I hope this gets back to them, and they take it as constructive comments. I'll still be listening for a while to come, and think y'all do a great job!

Cheers,

Jon

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, August 09 2006 @ 05:31 PM EDT
    Thanks for the input Jon. We always value what our listeners have to say.

We have had several comments about this, and we are taking steps to limit the duration of podshock. We are aiming for a happy medium (9th Doctor reference intended), of between 80 and 90 minutes.

Most planets have a North!
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Wednesday, August 09 2006 @ 06:21 PM EDT

[Quote  by:  Jon Melville]... Basically I feel that 2 hours a week is becoming a bit too much for my sanity...

Basically, that has been my consensus when it comes to post production... 2 hours is just a bit too much for my sanity! Cry

Now that things have settled down a bit (no more double reviews per podcast for the Sci-Fi Channel and new episodes from the BBC) we can bring the podcasts in at a more reasonable length.

We really need to cut down the post production time for each episode, and this is one way of helping that situation.

It doesn't necessarily mean that there will be less content from the podcast, there may be the same or more, but they will now be in better "bite-size" pieces perhaps. Wink

We are shooting for 60 to 80 minutes... for the regular Podshock episodes. Aftershocks are generally much shorter.

Thanks for everyone's input on this matter.. I think most of us are on the same page with it.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Wednesday, August 09 2006 @ 07:13 PM EDT
    I promise you that wasn't me posting under a pseudonym. Razz

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, August 09 2006 @ 07:24 PM EDT

[Quote  by:  Abersoch] I promise you that wasn't me posting under a pseudonym. Razz

We never thought you would do that Jon... err... I mean Colin. Wink

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Wednesday, August 09 2006 @ 09:04 PM EDT
    I do agree, 60 minutes would be much better. My wife is always amazed when iTunes uploads another show and it is close to 2 hours in length.

Of course, since we haven't seen season 2 yet, we're skipping through any spoiler parts and the episodes are like, 20 minutes long Big Grin

Wednesday, August 09 2006 @ 09:28 PM EDT
    I can't say that I've had too much of a problem with the length of the shows. As they are now the pace is leisurely and there is time for people to crack jokes and to be generally entertaining.

I don't want to see the Podshock turn into the nightly new s, in other words an excessively controlled litany of what is going on in the world of Doctor Who.

You each contribute your own unique brand of humor to the discussions. If extra time needs to be allowed for that to continue, so be it.

Shoggoth

"Elemental, my dear Benton." The Doctor to Sgt. Benton (The Daemons)

Wednesday, August 09 2006 @ 09:42 PM EDT
    Personally, I'm fortunate enough to be able to listen to podcasts pretty much all day while I work, so the length really doesn't bother me. That being said, there's an argument to be made for making the show tighter, a tad more focused ("stay on target")...

And James, how was your vacation? My in-laws live near Savannah and we visit fairly regularly (though with a new baby showing up next month, we probably won't be travelling anywhere for quite some time). I'd be interested in hearing your perceptions of the place.

http://thatneilguy.blogspot.com

Wednesday, August 09 2006 @ 10:47 PM EDT
    Personally,

I like the two hour+ podcasts (not that anybody is really asking me) Make them 3 hours if you want.

The benefit of an ipod is that you can stop and start again from the same position but I accept that some people do not have Ipods.

Podshock is one of my favourite 2+ hours of the week (fortnight)

Forget the shooty dog thing!

Thursday, August 10 2006 @ 08:25 AM EDT
    I haven't had a problem with the length of any of the podcasts. I wouldn't make them shorter just for the same of shorter podcasts. I have only been listening since 46, but I haven't heard anything that wasn't worth listening to.

If a show is too long, why not fast forward?

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, August 10 2006 @ 09:57 AM EDT
    I hasten to add my two cents because this thread started to seem a little one-sided towards brevity, so I will re-state my well-known opinion of "the more the merrier."

I have absolutely no problems with a 2 hour+ podcast. No one's strapping you to a chair forcing you to listen all in one go if you find it too long.

My only reason for hoping episodes be shorter is that it means less work in post-production for Louis.

My ultimate opinion is this:

Whatever length helps Louis get them out in a regular fashion without burning him out and leaving him unfulfilled - rather, leaving him proud and happy - that's the right length.

Sean.

-M-

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Thursday, August 10 2006 @ 11:12 AM EDT

I listen to them with full enjoyment and adoration, regardless of length.

I actually prefer longer podcasts, as it gives me more to listen to while I work. I sit at a computer 95% of the day @ work, so the longer the 'cast, the better I like it. It's like having company with me all day long.

And company like Ken, Louis and James is delightful indeed.

Hell, make 'em 3 hours long. Ramble on about all things WHO. Works for me. Mr. Green

Human Biological Metacrisis = Bite Me, RTD.
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, August 10 2006 @ 12:38 PM EDT
    I also like the longer podcasts as well.

As it is now, it is kind of like sitting around a table with a group of friends chatting about Doctor Who. I like the segments, but I wouldn't want it too regimented, making it into strickly a news program.

And since the guys aren't getting paid, I agree we should let them make it as long or short as they feel like.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, August 10 2006 @ 03:47 PM EDT

I feel that for many people the issue is not the actual length in minutes/hours of the show, but the amount of time spent off topic or just meandering around a subject after the sailent points have been sufficiently covered. One needs to not be afraid to chop out material that doesn't add value to the podcast. A two hour podcast can be interesting if much of it is covering new ground. But it takes a lot of disipline and preparation to make a two hour show work. Not that a one hour show doesn't, but one needs to worry about the attention spans of people nowadays as well.

For some people, Podshock is their only podcast and they listen to it over a few sitting. Others have more varied tastes, and Podshock could be one of dozens of podcasts listened to, or sampled.

But the main thing is that Podshock remain fun. And that is for both the listeners and the hosts/guests/contributors.

Taras

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Friday, August 11 2006 @ 12:52 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  tarashnat]
    I feel that for many people the issue is not the actual length in minutes/hours of the show, but the amount of time spent off topic or just meandering around a subject after the sailent points have been sufficiently covered. One needs to not be afraid to chop out material that doesn't add value to the podcast. A two hour podcast can be interesting if much of it is covering new ground. But it takes a lot of disipline and preparation to make a two hour show work. Not that a one hour show doesn't, but one needs to worry about the attention spans of people nowadays as well.

For some people, Podshock is their only podcast and they listen to it over a few sitting. Others have more varied tastes, and Podshock could be one of dozens of podcasts listened to, or sampled.

But the main thing is that Podshock remain fun. And that is for both the listeners and the hosts/guests/contributors.

Taras

This sums up exactly how I feel. I used to listen every week but eventually lapsed. Podshock is just one of several podcasts I listen to, and I just don't have the time to include a 2 hour show.

It's a shame because I genuinely enjoyed the earlier Podshocks. I'd love to come back if the show was more accessible.

I don't know whether this is feasible, but what about producing the full show, and also a "cut-down" version a la Doctor Who Confidential? Something for everyone there.

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored