The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 316 - 'In the Forest of the Night' Reviewed
  • Deleted Scenes from The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: In the Forest of the Night? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'In the Forest of the Night' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 26
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 315 - 'Flatline' Reviewed
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    George and Miranda with Bessie
    George and Miranda with Bessie
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who: Podshock »  Podshock #52 - brilliant!
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Podshock #52 - brilliant! Views: 1429
     Monday, September 25 2006 @ 09:03 AM EDT
    Just downloaded and listened to Podshock #52 - straight through.

What a great interview - well done to Louis, Ken and James for getting Mark Ayres onboard.

Get downloading folks - this is a gem of a Podcast.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Monday, September 25 2006 @ 07:02 PM EDT

Thanks daveac!

It was delightful and insightful speaking Mark Ayres. He is a good chap. It was a long time coming, but I think it was worth the wait. It may be a bit too geeky for some listeners, but I don't think we crossed the line.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Thursday, September 28 2006 @ 02:48 PM EDT
    I haven't heard the podcast in full yet, but the interview was really interesting and brought up some great points. Boom Town was on UKTV Gold this afternoon so I watched it through, and I was a little surprised how many of the sound effects I recognised from other shows - thunderclaps, the TARDIS heart door thing opening... It would definitely be icing on the cake if they could use original sound effects. This is real nitpicking stuff though...

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, September 28 2006 @ 07:54 PM EDT
    Great show, fellas. I disagree with Mr. Ayres about the wonderful direction that Murray Gold has taken the music of the show, but everything else was good to hear. By the way, am I the only one who thinks that he looks a little like Jason Bateman (Arrested Development) in his picture on the main page?

Heath Holland

Thursday, September 28 2006 @ 09:57 PM EDT
    It was a great podcast. It's fantastic that we have people who love Doctor Who working behind the scenes to make the program shine.

I don't know if anyone has watched the Curse of Fenric DVD because it has a pretty good feature about Mark. He supplied the music for the episode and also played a key role in the editing of the special edition. I like the fact that this DVD contained both versions of the story.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, September 29 2006 @ 10:23 AM EDT
    I've been having a real problem listening to the podcasts lately. Once downloaded to my ipod I try to listen in the car, but it keeps shutting itself off. Does anyone else get this problem? It happened with the last podcast also.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, September 29 2006 @ 12:27 PM EDT
    Great interview, but I'll tell you this - I'm glad he didn't get the job of re-creating the theme for the new series.

The Gold theme is magic, and the biggest compliment he could give it was "I wouldn't have gone that way."

And he doubted Delia would have approved.

Well given that the hideous techno-tronic soundtracks he did for the series "Curse of Fenric", etc, were probably the most glaring, blaring and awful soundtracks the series has ever seen, I'm glad Davies didn't give him the chance to "go his way".

Best of success to the guy, but he shouldn't boast too loudly about the techno-soundtracks. They were about as attractive as 80s "big hair" and "shoulderpads".

They have no staying power. They might have been hip in the 80s, but they just sound out of place now.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Friday, September 29 2006 @ 06:34 PM EDT
    Great interview. Thanks for sharing it. I always enjoy listening to Mark, he's got a genuine enthusiasm for Doctor Who that shows in every interview or discussion he's had on the subject.

The statements in the comments section about his adding to CoF are dead-on. Just imagine it scored by Keff McCulloch. Would it rate so highly in so may story polls if it was? Unlikely.

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." - Mark Twain

Friday, September 29 2006 @ 08:01 PM EDT
    Yah, big big fan of this podcast Really interesting. And, what's more, surprising. Who'd have thought that someone so intimately connected with the rather unsuccessful music of the McCoy years would've made for such an interesting interviewee?

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Wednesday, October 25 2006 @ 06:15 PM EDT
    So pleased and surprised by this episode. I had taken my own "hiatus" from Podshock until I could watch the 2006 series - which a friend of mine just helped me to do. Enjoyed the marathon podshock roundtable of series 2 (but missed James).

Mr. Ayres was very generous with his time and I really appreciate the amount of information we got from him. I have recently listened to the audiobook of "Marco Polo" and agree with Ken - wow! I'm really looking forward to listening to more of these.

I agree with the above comments, Murray Gold's new theme is perfect. When I compare it to the 1997 TVM theme, on a previous podshock, I'm even more in awe of Mr. Gold! I thought the 1997 theme was an obscenity and hope I never here a single bar of it again.

Congratulations on a real gem of a podshock, guys. This is one of my top five favorite episodes.

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, October 25 2006 @ 09:36 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  jeffreysg] I've been having a real problem listening to the podcasts lately. Once downloaded to my ipod I try to listen in the car, but it keeps shutting itself off. Does anyone else get this problem? It happened with the last podcast also.

Have you upgraded your ipod software recently? i.e when itunes 7 came out. My G5 ipod keeps turn the volume to zero in the car. I have figured out that it happens when my cellphone moves from one cell to another. If I am looking at the ipod screen, I see the back light come on and the volume bar go down!!. This didn't happen for the whole year I had it before I upgraded the ipod software. Same phone, same car and same ipod. This doesn't happen when I'm not in the car, i.e. at home, walking round the stores, in the gym, at home, at the airport, on domestic and trans-atlantic flights etc. etc. (Mind you I don't know I cross many cell phone cell boundries on foot, and my cell phone is off on the aircraft)

In summary, New ipod software seems very suceptible to RF (radio frequency) interference which seems to activate the click wheel, evidence suggests the RFI simulates an anticlockwise finger rotation on my click wheel and a sustained pressing of the down button on yours.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, October 25 2006 @ 10:07 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

Thanks daveac!

It was delightful and insightful speaking Mark Ayres. He is a good chap. It was a long time coming, but I think it was worth the wait. It may be a bit too geeky for some listeners, but I don't think we crossed the line.

Cheers,
    Louis

I must confess that I thoroughly enjoyed this episode and it gave me an appreciation of the labour of love which many of the vintage Doctor Who releases are.(Plus the effort the new series is putting in to ensure some continuity with the classic episodes).

This podcast along with the Murray Gold interview, the original Jules Burt interviews (before Rise was shown) and Jame's interviews and reports from the cavern club rank among my favorite episodes. Specials like these, and Tom Dilahunt's Podcast Who specials on the evolution of the Who Theme music, which give an insight into the show, not available though other channles are real gems. (For example, DWM really concentrate on the major cast members or big name guest star or are advertising puff for video/audio releases).

Have you considered approaching Big Finish for some kind of interview about the making/plans for the various audio advantures. Given your status as a review source that encouraging hardcore fans (surely BF's bread and butter) to buy the audios they may be kean to participate. I for one, have bought several audios on the strength of podshock reviews.

PS: I can find no current info on Tom Dillahunt of either of a good, nor bad nature. Though a prelonged absence of this duration can surely be only an ominous sign.

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings
      Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, October 25 2006 @ 10:43 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Doctor Whoovie] ...

Have you considered approaching Big Finish for some kind of interview about the making/plans for the various audio advantures. Given your status as a review source that encouraging hardcore fans (surely BF's bread and butter) to buy the audios they may be kean to participate. I for one, have bought several audios on the strength of podshock reviews.

PS: I can find no current info on Tom Dillahunt of either of a good, nor bad nature. Though a prelonged absence of this duration can surely be only an ominous sign.

Thanks for the kind words. I know we at one time we were planning on getting something together with BF, but I am not whatever came of it, I will follow up on it. Thanks for the reminder.

As for Tom Dillahunt, I am sorry to say that I haven't anything to offer as to what happened and if his podcast will resurface or not. We did invite him to be on the Roundtable Discussion podcast we did in August, but had no reply from Tom. He had been on our show before and is welcome to return when he is up for it. Though as I said, I can not offer any insight on him or his podcast at this time except that we haven't heard from him since May. Next week is November, which will make a half a year now. Hopefully, we will hear from him soon.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic