The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Flatline? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Flatline' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 19th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 314 - 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Reviewed
  • Music Video of 'Don't Stop Me Now' Performed by Foxes from Doctor Who 'Mummy on the Orient Express'
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Mummy on the Orient Express' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 12th
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 313 - 'Kill the Moon' Reviewed
  • The Curse Of The Black Tooth - Spoilers!
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: Kill The Moon? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Kill The Moon' Scheduled for Sunday, Oct 5th

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    San Diego Comic-Con 2004
    San Diego Comic-Con 2004
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who: Podshock »  Podcast 55-Darth Skeptical
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Podcast 55-Darth Skeptical Views: 1019
     Thursday, October 26 2006 @ 10:00 AM EDT
    Sorry if a thread about this has already been started, but D.S.'s review segment on Podcast 55 was excellent. It was obvious a lot of time an effort were put in. It really seemed more like part of the show than a typical listener submission. I hope we hear more of those.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, October 26 2006 @ 11:53 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  highlander357] Sorry if a thread about this has already been started, but D.S.'s review segment on Podcast 55 was excellent. It was obvious a lot of time an effort were put in. It really seemed more like part of the show than a typical listener submission. I hope we hear more of those.

Darth Skeptical has been doing outstanding work for us in regards to our openings "Live from..." when Ken is not doing it... We really liked his work there. So we knew without even hearing it first, that his review for Space Museum would be just as interesting. That is why we had decided to feature his review and center the episode around it (wrapping the episode with audio clips from Space Museum).

We are looking forward to more audio pieces by Darth Skeptical for future shows... after all the name, "Skeptical Dairies" implies a series Big Grin So I am sure we will be hearing from our friend again.

As for this outing, I had some slight technical problems and had to make his segment mono in the podcast... Perhaps there will be a "special edition" of this Diary entry in full stereo as he originally intended sometime in the future.

Of course we are hoping for more pieces by our other regular contributors as well such as Colin (come on Big Finish get busy with another Sarah Jane Smith series... but perhaps with her new TV series spin-off, that may not be happening any time soon now), and Taras with his BF reviews as well.

We have received other positive feedback messages concerning Mr. D. Skeptical... So D.S., no pressure... but we are all looking forward to more entries in your Diary... Wink

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Thursday, October 26 2006 @ 01:41 PM EDT
    absolutely. Darth Skeptical's Diary was fantastic. He's very interesting and fun to listen to and a welcome audio addition to Podshock. I find I agree with him more than not, and I like his well thought out and sometimes brutaly honest take on things.
    Darth, I am PMing you my adress. Send my check there, please.

Heath Holland

Thursday, October 26 2006 @ 02:13 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  hdutch007] ...

I am sure he will be more than happy to give you 10% of what we pay him. Razz

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Thursday, October 26 2006 @ 07:18 PM EDT
    Louis,

I was listening with headphones and I didn't even notice the mono/stereo problem. It sounded fine to me.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, October 26 2006 @ 11:21 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    [Quote  by:  hdutch007] ...
    I am sure he will be more than happy to give you 10% of what we pay him. Razz
    Oh, let's be generous, Louis. I think hdutch007 deserves at least 25%.

Seriously, though, thanks very much for the encouraging words. I'm very happy y'all seemed to enjoy the review and will be endeavo(u)ring to provide more.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Thursday, October 26 2006 @ 11:37 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  highlander357] Louis,

I was listening with headphones and I didn't even notice the mono/stereo problem. It sounded fine to me.
    Through no fault of the boys whatsoever, there were indeed some issues with the sound that appeared to have originated on my end.

I had mixed in the clips from the actual episode at a volume that was, shall we say, a tad loud. Then there was an attempt at simulating stereo with those clips in which I placed various voices of the actors exclusively on one channel or another. So the whole recording was stretched, in a sense, "tall and wide".

Probably because I sent an .aif mixdown instead of just giving the actual GarageBand original files, the result on Louis' end once he reimported and evened out the volume balance was apparently something that sounded like A Chipmunk Christmas. To compensate, he apparently made a completely monoaural sample of the original, which served as something he could more pliably fit back into the rest of the episode.

The comments highlander357 made at the top of this thread about the review seeming "like part of the show" point more to Louis' efforts to get the damn thing to work alongside the rest of the podcast, rather than anything I did.

Hopefully, when the next episode comes, these little technical glitches will be smoothed over.

"I think of myself as ambitious in casting terms, and I know that Bonnie [Langford] has the potential to make the part totally unirritating . . ." JNT, 1986

Friday, October 27 2006 @ 09:07 AM EDT
    [Quote  by:  hdutch007] absolutely. Darth Skeptical's Diary was fantastic. He's very interesting and fun to listen to and a welcome audio addition to Podshock. I find I agree with him more than not, and I like his well thought out and sometimes brutaly honest take on things.

Yes great stuff - I hope Louis and Ken aren't still teasing James :-)

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, November 06 2006 @ 10:01 AM EST
    Just listening to this Podshock (I'm a bit behind) and have got to the point where James is talking about Billie Piper doing her autobiography at 23.

I've seen (and heard) several interviews with Billie where she covers this point, several other people have started (or have completed) biographies about her and she decided that if there was going to be a book about her it may as well be the truth.

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, November 06 2006 @ 10:36 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  capricorn1] Just listening to this Podshock (I'm a bit behind) and have got to the point where James is talking about Billie Piper doing her autobiography at 23.

I've seen (and heard) several interviews with Billie where she covers this point, several other people have started (or have completed) biographies about her and she decided that if there was going to be a book about her it may as well be the truth.

And she had started at 14 - so had nearly 10 years of eventful public life to cover.

Cheers, daveac

daveac on blip.tv, TalkShoe, iTunes, LiveVideo, uStream, GE, Sci-Fi, DWO, DS & WTA, Dave C on WLP, cooperda on AVF, dac100 on YouTube & PB, dac on Tiscali

Monday, November 06 2006 @ 11:32 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  daveac]
    And she had started at 14 - so had nearly 10 years of eventful public life to cover.

Cheers, daveac

Good point Dave! That means she's been in the public eye (in the UK at least) for longer that a lot of celebrities - especially these days with programmes like Big Brother and X-Factor pumping out even more Z-listers Frown

Also, her marriage to Chris Evans means she does have quite a story to tell!

Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed
    Words are censored