The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Breaking News of 1986...
    Breaking News of 1986...
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who: Podshock »  Podshock #58
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    Podshock #58 Views: 896
     Monday, November 20 2006 @ 07:56 PM EST
    Hey, Louis, I just caught up with episode #58 today, and I have to say that I loooooved the Colin Baker interview. I've never seen the Trial of a Timelord season, but I have recently acquired it, and can't wait. His comments were fascinating. I knew the details behind his sacking, but hearing him elaborate on it for 30 minutes was very eye opening. This is also the longest I have ever heard him speak in an interview, and I find him extremely engaging and entertaining.
    Seriously, I love this new segment where you air interviews from the vaults. As a fan of the old school Doctor Who, I can't wait to hear some of the other interviews you guys have in the vaults.
    I'll give you guys a whole dollar if you will air Ken's Paul Darrow interview. It must be heard.

Heath Holland
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Tuesday, November 21 2006 @ 02:01 AM EST

Thanks again Heath. It was indeed interesting and talking to Colin at that time (don't get me wrong, it was interesting talking to Colin before his untimely dismal as well). In addition to the interview you heard in this episode, we have another interview with him that I conducted over the same weekend.

Over the years... especially "back in the day" -- we had the privilege interviewing several people connected to the series. As for recorded interviews, they include Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, John-Nathan Turner, Matthew Waterhouse, Mark Strickson, Paul Darrow, Sarah Sutton, Terry Nation, even George Takei (though obviously not connected with Doctor Who)... and others which I may be forgetting now (my apologies if they are reading this now).

Now the bad news... Many of them were recorded simply to be later transcribed for our printed newsletter at the time. There was no podcast back then. So the audio quality is going to be poor with a great deal of noise. The other problem is that many of the tapes are currently misplaced. Hopefully they will turn up. I can assure you we did not do what the BBC did with early Doctor Who, we did not erase over them. But I haven't been able to locate many of them. I had a flood last year here, and I am pretty sure they were not victims of the flood... I am guessing they are stored away somewhere.. but where? Again the ones in question were done solely for the purpose of transcribing to print... so after they were transcribed, they didn't have much of a purpose after that. If we can find them, and use them, they will appear in future episodes of Doctor Who: Podshock.

There are others that are located and we hope to do some special episode(s) that could be compiled together many of these treasures. But it is going to take some time to do.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Tuesday, November 21 2006 @ 02:55 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis]

But I haven't been able to locate many of them. I had a flood last year here, and I am pretty sure they were not victims of the flood... I am guessing they are stored away somewhere.. but where?

So apart from the "Logopolis" moment, it sounds like time to give the TARDIS a good clean and check the punchcards and tapes
    for any valuable data. Ah for the luxury of infinate storage Wink. I do hope they turn up, I know from my own experience
    that media degredation over a 20(ish) year time span can be a problem.

We are grateful to The Gallifreyan Embassy of old for the privilage of listening to these priceless captured moments from some of
    our heroes. In Texas the Whovans were a little more low key and most of the Cons were Star Trek related, so I missed the boat
    back then, thank you for letting me (and anyone who is, or was outside the Who Con circuit) listen in.

Time and tide melt the Snowman,
    Mike M.

I'm a Time Traveler, I point and laugh at archaeologist.

Tuesday, November 21 2006 @ 08:46 AM EST
    Well, Louis, if you are unable to find the tapes, what are the chances you could scan in some of those old newsletter interview transcripts and send PDFs to those interested? I would love to read them. Why couldn't I have been in New York 20 years ago?! Why oh why!

Heath Holland

Tuesday, November 21 2006 @ 08:02 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  hdutch007] Well, Louis, if you are unable to find the tapes, what are the chances you could scan in some of those old newsletter interview transcripts and send PDFs to those interested? I would love to read them. Why couldn't I have been in New York 20 years ago?! Why oh why!

Yes, this is something I had planned on doing for some time now. While many of the old newsletters were destroyed or damaged in the flood, we should still have copies of every issue somewhere.

Back then they were transcribed into an old 8-bit Atari computer... using a proprietary word processor program (saved on 5.25" floppy disks). Which means it will probably be easier to scan and OCR the old printed pieces than try to migrate the data over the mediums.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥

Wednesday, November 22 2006 @ 09:42 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    [Quote  by:  hdutch007] Well, Louis, if you are unable to find the tapes, what are the chances you could scan in some of those old newsletter interview transcripts and send PDFs to those interested? I would love to read them. Why couldn't I have been in New York 20 years ago?! Why oh why!

Yes, this is something I had planned on doing for some time now. While many of the old newsletters were destroyed or damaged in the flood, we should still have copies of every issue somewhere.

Back then they were transcribed into an old 8-bit Atari computer... using a proprietary word processor program (saved on 5.25" floppy disks). Which means it will probably be easier to scan and OCR the old printed pieces than try to migrate the data over the mediums.

Cheers,
    Louis

I don't really know what you just said, but if it ends up with me being able to read some of those interviews, then...erm...yay!

Heath Holland

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed