The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Live Show Reviewing 'Deep Breath' Scheduled for Sunday, Aug 24th
  • BBC One 'Deep Breath' Promotional Advertisement Video [VIDEO]
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 306 - Interviews with Ian Marter and Sarah Sutton
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 305 - Interviews with Peter Howell and Ron Katz
  • Five Years of The Cultdom Collective Podcast!
  • The Official BBC Teaser Promo Video for the New 2014 Series [VIDEO]
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Claws of Axos? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 304 - 'The Claws of Axos' is Reviewed
  • New Doctor Who Series Launch Confirmed for August and Teaser Promo Video
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Invasion of Time? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    Talking Doctor and K9 open doors
    Talking Doctor and K9 open doors
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who Collectables »  My first trip to Mecca (aka: The Forbidden Pl..
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    My first trip to Mecca (aka: The Forbidden Planet NYC) Views: 997
     Thursday, September 27 2007 @ 10:26 AM EDT
    I was on a business trip this past week in NYC, so I took the opportunity to take a nice walk downtown towards a certain shop at 13th and Broadway. I must say I was quite excited by the shop. I spent hours checking out everything they had (and picked up a new Doctor Who book that I hadn't ordered yet).

What I found most exciting is that it wasn't just fanboys in the place: there were also fanGIRLS! I'm quite used to being the only female in the comic shops in Minneapolis -- the only female who is there willingly and not dragged by a boyfriend. That was quite a different experience for me.

anyway, thanks to everyone from the NYC area who mentioned the store in past posts: that's the only reason I knew of it's existance. Next month: 179 Shaftsbury Ave, London!

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, September 27 2007 @ 12:28 PM EDT
    That place is great. Its a bit of a crack den though if you like Sci Fi. There are too many things in there I need okay want. In fact I need to see if that Doctor Who Magazine Season Three special is in.

http://themedusacascadegazette.blogspot.com/
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, September 28 2007 @ 04:33 AM EDT
    Congrats.

YOU will love the London store. (though the old one had a nicer - granny's attic feel to it) the new store is simply lovely.

enjoy.

Ive not been down for 2 years... just remember to put your bads at the security desk. Not for security you understand. just to let you shop quicker!

TD

Guest Host on the WHOCAST
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Friday, September 28 2007 @ 11:00 AM EDT
    I've not heard of this store and I am actually planning a trip to NYC sometime in the next year.

mad4plaid, your comment reminds me of the scene in the movie 'Free Enterprise' where the one guy (I forgot all their names) is looking for a specific sci.fi. item and some girl grabs it before him. He tells her it's his and she may think it's cute and neat to buy for her boyfriend but he really wants it. She ends up surprising him by telling him it's for her and he's like, "It can't be for you, your a girl." Or something like that. Hilarious.

If anyone else has seen that, help me out.

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, September 28 2007 @ 01:58 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  mad4plaid]
    anyway, thanks to everyone from the NYC area who mentioned the store in past posts: that's the only reason I knew of it's existance. Next month: 179 Shaftsbury Ave, London!

I'm pretty lucky really with where I live (in terms of being a Who collector), aside from the fact I'm surrounded by Argos' and Woolworths, I get to go in Forbidden Planet a couple of times a week (as well Doctor Who stuff - they're my main comic supplier). Even if you weren't bothered by Sci-Fi and stuff, you'd be tempted to have a look round. My girlfriend doesnt have a lot of time for Doctor Who, Batman, DC generally & Star Wars (she's mildly interested simply because of me), but even she will happily come in and wander round Forbidden Planet with me, just to look at the toys and action figures (plus another shop we both like -Murder One - is just around the corner, and a couple of good pubs too).

I'd also say this (seeing as I'm talking about it), the staff at FP are a genuinely friendly bunch. I've got a lot of time both for the shop and the people that work there.

You'll love it Mad4Plaid; enjoy.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, September 28 2007 @ 04:32 PM EDT

Ever since Underground Toys started importing Who merchandise, the NYC Forbidden Planet finally was able to keep it in stock. The home office was never too good about keeping them in stock with the new stuff.

Daleks don't accept apologies! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Friday, September 28 2007 @ 05:01 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  LanaiaD] That place is great. Its a bit of a crack den though if you like Sci Fi. There are too many things in there I need okay want. In fact I need to see if that Doctor Who Magazine Season Three special is in.

I saw the mag on the rack as I was checking out and almost grabbed it. Luckily I didn't as my subscription was waiting for me when I got home (I honestly keep forgetting that I bought a subscription!) But I have to tell you how glad I am that I was able to go through 10 years as a Stargate fan and NEVER bought the magazine (who knew! Saw the Stargate Atlantis mag on the rack at the checkout as well)

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, September 28 2007 @ 05:03 PM EDT
    [Quote  by:  jeffreysg] I've not heard of this store and I am actually planning a trip to NYC sometime in the next year.

mad4plaid, your comment reminds me of the scene in the movie 'Free Enterprise' where the one guy (I forgot all their names) is looking for a specific sci.fi. item and some girl grabs it before him. He tells her it's his and she may think it's cute and neat to buy for her boyfriend but he really wants it. She ends up surprising him by telling him it's for her and he's like, "It can't be for you, your a girl." Or something like that. Hilarious.

If anyone else has seen that, help me out.

I haven't seen that, but I was watching a recent "Fairly Oddparents" with my best friend's four year old, and Timmy Turner dresses in drag to see what it's like being a girl when he walks into the comic shop all the boys go a bit mental/freaky (a girl in a comic shop? oh, I'm in love!)

oh and Tardis-Knight -- I LOVE Murder One! I actually had to pay extra for my luggage on my last flight to London b/c I bought so many books that I was over the weight limit (and they weren't allowing any carry-ons at that time).

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, September 28 2007 @ 05:43 PM EDT
    Depending on when you were here (?), it's now on the other side of the road. It's smaller than it used to be and aside from collectable Sherlock (and a few valuables) it doesnt do 2nd hand stuff anymore.

As well as the things I mentioned in the last post, my other favourite is Holmes and ACD. Back in the day before the internet, when mail order was literally done through the post (both ways), it was the ONLY place in the UK from which I could get Simon & Schuster's Rathbone/Bruce collections. Maxim Jakubowski (author and owner) can be a tetchy old git at times, but (probably not quite as much now as the place is smaller) his shop is priceless. Other Crime bookstores have come and gone in London, but that place never been bettered.

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, November 15 2007 @ 01:12 PM EST
    as I'm about ready to get on the plane to go to London (in celebration of my birthday), I was checking the address for Forbidden Planet, just to make sure I knew for sure where it was. With address in hand, I pulled out my handy pop-up map of London (yes, I'm a tourist!). And color me shocked to discover that I didn't need to look up the address! Forbidden Planet is promenently called out on the map of the West End.

Looking forward to stopping by this weekend!

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, November 15 2007 @ 02:12 PM EST
    Ill probably bump into you Mad4plaid.

Enjoy!

Profile    PM    Email   

Thursday, November 15 2007 @ 05:02 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Tin Dog Podcast] Congrats.

YOU will love the London store. (though the old one had a nicer - granny's attic feel to it) the new store is simply lovely.

I actually work for Forbidden Planet International, who own FP NYC, and thought I'd share something you may not know - namely that there are 2 companies called Forbidden Planet. The one I work for is Forbidden Planet (Scotland) LTD (we trade as Forbidden Planet International), with a black and gold logo. We also own Nostalgia & Comics in Birmingham and Worlds Apart in Liverpool as well as various stores around the world, well the UK, Eire & NYC at least!
    The other company is Forbidden Planet London, with a red, white & black logo, whose store in London is the one you mention. They also own stores around the country but none overseas (as far as I am aware). The 2 companies were once one before a falling out between directors, but that was long before I worked for them so I don't really know any details.

Just thought you'd like to know.
    Big Grin

Bollocks...sir.

Thursday, November 15 2007 @ 05:20 PM EST
    I actually found that out when I made a complaint to the Shaftesbury Ave version, who quickly pointed out that my problem was with International!

Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, November 20 2007 @ 08:46 AM EST
    Just got back in town. Once at the London store, it kind of became obvious that they are different companies. Strange that even with that they are so similar.

Still, had a great time at both. Was a bit disappointed at the lack of figures Doctor Who figures at the London store (well, only because they didn't have any of Jack, who I was asked specifically to bring back). Glad I found it, had a great time wandering the store finding interesting little things. And of course, the fact that there was an Odd Bins right across the street didn't hurt! Grabbed a bottle of vino and went back to the hotel to watch the Children In Need special (only up until the Doctor Who part).

Anyway you look at it, if you are ever in NYC or London, it's a great expedition to embark on!

supremacy is relative
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed