The Gallifreyan Embassy
Home of the Doctor Who podcast DOCTOR WHO: PODSHOCK
Advertising | Donate | Feedback | New Website | Podshock | Shop | Forum | Media Gallery | Web Resources | Polls
 Gallifreyan Embassy 3.0  
  • How do you rate Doctor Who: The Mark of the Rani? (5=Fantastic)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 301 - 'The Mark of the Rani' is Reviewed
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Featured in Podcastrovalva
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 300 - The Passing of Kate O'Mara, Interviews with Mary Tamm and Janet Fielding
  • NASA New Spacesuit Z-2 Dominates
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 299 - 'The Web of Fear' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 298 - 'The Enemy of the World' Reviewed, News, and More
  • Emma Campbell-Jones joins the L.I. Who 2 line up "Best news all day"
  • Doctor Who: Podshock 297 - Classic Interview with Colin Baker, News, Feedback, and More
  • How do you rate the Matt Smith era of Doctor Who? (5=Fantastic)

•  Topics  
    Home
    Doctor Who News (188/0)
    DW: Podshock (201/0)
    DW Reviews (33/0)
    Torchwood (15/0)
    Sarah Jane Adven... (13/0)
    General News (29/0)
    Embassy News (19/0)
    Editorials (5/0)
    Alien Tech (2/0)

Extra! Extra!  

Become a Podshock Supporting Subscriber

Randomizer  
    K9 and Abersoch
    K9 and Abersoch
    Browse Album

User Functions  
    :

:

Lost your password?

Support Podshock  

This site and our podcast are free to use and listen to respectively. Though there are costs involved in maintaining and producing both. If you like, please make a donation to help offset these costs and to help ensure that we can continue to bring you both. Thank you so much.

You can make a one time donation of any amount you like using the above "Donate" button. If you rather make an annual recurring donation of $25 (that is less than 50 cents a week), use the "Subscribe" button below.

Save big on toys & collectibles at Entertainment Earth! CLICK HERE for Doctor Who, Star Wars, Buffy, Ozzy, Spider-Man, & more!

Events  
    There are no upcoming events

Audible UK  

Dr Who Audio Downloads from audible.co.uk

DWNY  
    DWNY

Ads by Google  

Older Stories  
    Wednesday 06-May
  • In Russell/Moffat We Trust Shirts and More (1)

• Tuesday 05-May
  • Join Us for Our Second Second Life Meet Up (3)

• Friday 01-May
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 147 (0)

• Wednesday 29-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 27th of April 2009 (0)

• Saturday 25-Apr
  • Who Party 14 Toronto Doctor Who Convention (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 146 (1)

• Thursday 23-Apr
  • Sonic Newsdriver and Hoo on Who for the Week of the 20 April 2009 (0)
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 145 (4)

• Wednesday 15-Apr
  • Three New Producers Announced (0)

• Saturday 11-Apr
  • Planet Of The Dead Canadian air date confirmed (0)

• Tuesday 07-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock Recognized as Best Podcast (1)
  • Sonic Newsdriver for the Week of the 5th of April 2009 (0)

• Wednesday 01-Apr
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 144 (5)

• Friday 20-Mar
  • Doctor Who: Podshock - Episode 143 (3)
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to British Sci-Fi - Episode 3 (1)

•  Notice  

Doctor Who and the TARDIS are owned and trademarked by the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The Gallifreyan Embassy and the Doctor Who: Podshock podcast are not connected to the BBC in any way. No infringement is intended.

Home »  Doctor Who Collectables »  To Open or Not to Open
    Prev Topic Next Next Topic Printable Version
    To Open or Not to Open Views: 1721
     Friday, January 09 2009 @ 03:01 PM EST
    Finally got my Sixth Doctor figure.
    I have to say these classic action figures are irresistible.
    However, the question is do I leave them pristine in their packaging or do I open them?
    What do you do?

Profile    PM    Email   

Friday, January 09 2009 @ 03:24 PM EST

Which ever brings you the most enjoyment. I for the most part, open and display them. Unless you feel you are going to sell them at some point, then keeping them in the package adds to the value. But if you are not, well, it comes down to what YOU value. I've been collecting these types of figures going back to when the Star Wars figures were released. I would 98% of them are released from their imprisonment in their packaging. Freed from their blister pack and their wire constraints untied in order to get the full enjoyment of the figure.

Life is short, for some shorter than they count or realize. We can't take these things with with us (if we actually go anyway - but that is another discussion) when we go. So we might as well as enjoy what brings us pleasure now while we are still around to take advantage of it.

That's what life is all about!

Otherwise, just stick me in a big zip-lock bag or shrink wrap me to a large piece of cardboard.

Seriously, you may enjoy them in their packaging. They are nicely packaged and can see most of the details.

Perhaps do both? Either get two, one to open and one to keep in its packaging or get one and enjoy it in its packaging until you feel you basked in all the enjoyment you will get from it being in that state before you open it up. If that never happens, so be it. But as long as you are enjoying it.

Cheers,
    Louis

☛ Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/LouisTrapani ♥ ♥
      Profile    PM    Email    Website 

Friday, January 09 2009 @ 03:30 PM EST

Having just posted all that, I have to admit that I haven't opened my Sixth Doctor figure yet. But I do plan on doing so. I've been enjoying it in its package for now. I think I just need to clean up and clear out some of my clutter around here before I do open it. Right now, I have no place to put when I open it. It was also the recent one obtained, the few others I have are opened and on display. So I just need a little time to organize and clean here before I free it from it's imprisonment.

Cheers,
    Louis

Saturday, January 10 2009 @ 04:00 AM EST
    basically... are they an investment.

my TCB is boxed and will always remain so. I intend geting it signed one day. a BOX IS Easyer to sign than a figure.

All of my buffy figures are boxed and signed and look superb. I will sell them in 20 years.

Guest Host on the WHOCAST

Saturday, January 10 2009 @ 04:22 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Tin-Dog-Podcast]All of my buffy figures are boxed and signed and look superb. I will sell them in 20 years.

I have just finished watching both Angel and Buffy from beginning to end for the first time since they were first on. Eight months of sheer pleasure. What a genius JW is. Now for the Eighth season comic books!
    Still undecided as whether to open. I think I might have to due to space issues!

Profile    PM    Email   

Monday, January 12 2009 @ 05:02 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Tin-Dog-Podcast] basically... are they an investment.

If you are speaking financially, it's only an investment if you plan on selling it. Otherwise it is an investment in your enjoyment in life.

This is not to say that you can't enjoy it by leaving it in its package.

Recently I started thinking of another factor for me in regards to this subject. I tend to sometimes keep certain things in their package if the mere fact that they were sold as a collectable is something I find unique, unusual, or hard to believe. For example, in the case of Doctor Who, in all my years of seeing collectables (some decades this has been more scarce than other decades), it is fairly common to see the 4th Doctor merchandise prior to the series coming back to television in 2005. But not since he left the role in the mid 80's do you see 6th Doctor collectables. So given a 4th Doctor and a 6th Doctor figure, I would probably free the 4th Doctor from it's packaging prison first because seeing it in its package doesn't really effect me so much as it is fairly common to see since Tom Baker took the part in terms of DW collectables. But seeing the 6th Doctor in it's package is neat! Simply because it is unusual and uncommon. (As noted in a previous message, I still plan on freeing the 6th Doctor from its packaging prison soon... not to mention the Robot's shoulders are incased within it as well).

Anyway, it is just a personal decision that one has to make. Do which ever brings the most enjoyment to you at this time. As for the future.. well sometimes things we think will be worth something in the future turns out not to be the case. If a lot of people (fans) are collecting them and keeping them in their package, then they may not be as rare in the future as we may suspect today. Not to mention we just may not be around in the future anyway. One just never knows for sure.

So whatever you decide, do it for your enjoyment today.

Cheers,
    Louis

Monday, January 12 2009 @ 06:35 PM EST
    Talk about a small world. I myself recieved the 4th Doctor figure as a Christmas gift and I find myself facing the dame thinking. Part of me wants to open it up but the other parts knows it will be worth more in package. I know I have a K-9 somewhere about the same scale and they woudl look good together if I can find it. So until I find K-9 I might leave him in it.

Cheers,

Russel

I am the Master and you will obey me... Listen to Ramble with Russel at ramblingruss.libsyn.com

Monday, January 12 2009 @ 11:48 PM EST
    Well guys the build-a-figure thing is a good reason to open 'em. The K1 robot is nearly assembled right in front of me. He's missing a leg (I need the D84 Robot to complete it).
    The figures are pretty cool to look at outside the packaging. --Billy

Oh the phantom Piper!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Tuesday, January 13 2009 @ 05:00 PM EST
    I always open my figures, unless I bought a spare (to open later).

What really bugs me is that I had the chance to buy the Davison Doc figure at the Cambridge Convention a month or so ago, and have Davison sign it, and I cheaped out!

Now I'm kicking myself. I bought the figure after Christmas, and now it's not likely I'll ever have Davison sign it.

What's worse, I paid the same amount for the figure anyway. All I would have had to do was pay a bit more for Davison to sign it.

I'm stupid.

There. I said it.

I'm stupid.

Sean.

One solid hope is worth a cartload of uncertainties.

Tuesday, January 13 2009 @ 05:53 PM EST
    I always open mine, don't see any point of buying them just to leave in a box for all eternity, I brought them for my self rather than a future investment when i may sell them for double the price on ebay in about 10 years

Profile    PM    Email   

Wednesday, January 14 2009 @ 02:41 AM EST
    [Quote  by:  Billyaxe] Well guys the build-a-figure thing is a good reason to open 'em. The K1 robot is nearly assembled right in front of me. He's missing a leg (I need the D84 Robot to complete it).
    The figures are pretty cool to look at outside the packaging. --Billy

I agree. I saw a photo of the completed Robot courtesy of Tim Drury via Twitter and I must say, it is quite impressive.

Sadly, I only have half the pieces of it now, being the head, shoulders, torso, and one arm. I need its two legs, other arm, and one Giant Robot bum to finish it off!

There is a great deal to be said about freeing your figures from their imprisoned incasement of their packaging. Especially these which are so highly detailed. The craftsmanship is very impressive. One could not always say the same about previous Doctor Who figure lines of the past.

Cheers,
    Louis

Saturday, January 17 2009 @ 05:44 PM EST
    I'm almost at a decision - I think I'm going to have to open them (mainly cos there's no room for them and the packaging.
    Added to the fact that I have already opened the remote control Dalek, k-9 and sound-effect TARDIS - well, I couldn't be expected to keep them in the box now, could I?

Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, January 18 2009 @ 04:09 PM EST
    Yahh! Ive just completed my K1 Robot. Pretty cool. --Billy

Oh the phantom Piper!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Sunday, January 18 2009 @ 05:41 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Billyaxe] Yahh! Ive just completed my K1 Robot. Pretty cool. --Billy

That's great. Impressive, isn't it? I still need parts for mine. Well, there's Gallifrey next month, perhaps I will have a chance to complete it then.

Cheers,
    Louis

Thursday, January 22 2009 @ 04:12 PM EST
    [Quote  by:  Louis]
    I agree. I saw a photo of the completed Robot courtesy of Tim Drury via Twitter and I must say, it is quite impressive.

Louis - this is from the thread on the classic figures...

On the subject of the "to open or not" debate - at least for the Doctor Who stuff, with a couple of exceptions everything of mine is open. The packaging is good (excellent even) and I think there is a strong argument that it can add to the appeal and the look.

In terms of collectability, I really don't think any of the the Character range will ever be that valuable. The SDCC variants & exclusives, Sarah Jane & K9 (in Doctor Who packaging, not SJ's) & the individually carded grey Auton are (off the top of my head) the only ones I can think of that I've not opened. & none of those are worth that much. These figures are for big kids like me who love Doctor Who, they're not a lot of use to anyone who thinks they'll make a fortune on them (even in years to come, momc or not).

Back in Character's early days (when they only had about 20 different figures), I was actually going for a loose and a carded version of everything. I've long since binned that notion; I've not got the space.

Nothing dies of old age on Skaro!
      Profile    PM    Email   

Topic Legend:
    Normal Topic Normal Topic
    Locked Topic Locked Topic
    Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
    New Post New Post
    Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
    Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
    Subscribe to this topic Subscribe to this topic
    You may not post messages
    Full HTML is allowed